Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what a con

• 03-07-2015 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

Enquired about sending a pup to England today,seems it's now mandatory to get a rabies shot and a pet passport to travel.We are not a source country for rabies,neither is the UK,so who in their infinite wisdom came up with this one,more expense and absolutely no need for it at all.Just another way to rip people off in my opinion,what a f***ed up idea,being charged for a shot that's not necessary at all.I feel like giving up!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Ya it's completely wrong. I wonder what the requirements are for bringing a dog in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Koro

I exported my dog to NZ awhile back. I had to have him tested for rabies, babasia, canine brucellosis and a few more diseases not present here in Ireland (some only found in Africa). The NZ ministry of agriculture said I could send the dog without testing for these if I got a letter off the Irish ministry stating that the we're not present in Ireland however the Irish ministry said because they don't test for them they can't say unequivocally that they are not present here. The usual BS and laziness I have come to expect from Irish civil servants. Ps when the dog arrived in NZ their official asked why these tests were done (except rabies) as dogs from the UK aren't tested because their government said they are not present in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

iv sent pups to england.50 euro for the passport and the shots.just add it on to the price of the pup

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

allan450 wrote: »
    iv sent pups to england.50 euro for the passport and the shots.just add it on to the price of the pup
    Don't be sending pups to England we need to keep the Great ones here Alan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

allan450 wrote: »

Not the point Allan,it's an unnecessary cost as we're not a source country for rabies.

• Advertisement

• hathcock wrote: »
    Enquired about sending a pup to England today,seems it's now mandatory to get a rabies shot and a pet passport to travel.We are not a source country for rabies,neither is the UK,so who in their infinite wisdom came up with this one,more expense and absolutely no need for it at all.Just another way to rip people off in my opinion,what a f***ed up idea,being charged for a shot that's not necessary at all.I feel like giving up!!!!!!

Strange that you don't need a rabies shot when sending a dog to USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It doesn't make much sense when travelling from let's say Ireland to the UK as rabies is pretty much unheard of in either country but since this is an EU wide standard and rabies does occur in locations across the EU it does make sense. Rabies is a horrible death for animal and human alike when unfortunate enough to contract it. Your dog will need a vet certified worm treatment before return as well when you take him further afield than the UK by the way.

Having said that, I've travelled to the continent with my dog not a week ago and neither DEFRA nor the French equivalent appear to be checking much at the ferry ports on the way out, I'll find out in a weeks' time about the opposite direction.

• These are the new regulations. http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭T338

I just moved back to Ireland from the Uk and was told by a vet I needed pet passport and rabies vaccine cost a little over £300 sterling for two dogs, absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

If you sent the dog over from the north would you still need the passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

If you sent the dog over from the north would you still need the passport?

That's a very good question,níl fhios agam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

hathcock wrote: »
    That's a very good question,níl fhios agam.

Not if it's an NI resident animal because the dog would be going from one UK port to another an technically speaking would not leave, enter or re-enter UK territory.

You could be asked if you started your journey in the UK though which brings you back to square one if you live in Ireland.

Advertisement