Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seawater temperature

• 02-07-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Is there a website where daily sea temps are recorded? I did a first swim of year in sea yesterday and found it a tad cold at 15 degree... apparently one degree warmer than yesterday which was hottest day of year etc. Lifeguard said the temps were lower this year for time of year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tony H

cobham wrote: »
    Is there a website where daily sea temps are recorded? I did a first swim of year in sea yesterday and found it a tad cold at 15 degree... apparently one degree warmer than yesterday which was hottest day of year etc. Lifeguard said the temps were lower this year for time of year.
    http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/cork.htm

The water has taken a long time to warm up this year , I normally start in may and found it too cold then ,my wife laughs at me tip toeing in , she swims all year round without a wetsuit and she said this year the water was cold for way longer than normal .

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes it was too cold to stay in long enough to make the swim worthwhile. Normally I give it half a minute and then am grand but this time the burning feel on skin stayed the whole time I was in. High tide at lunchtme on a sunless day did not help.... have swum on evening tide at same spot when water lukewarm (two years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks for website link. This is bit for where I go at Seapoint, Dublin
    http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/monkstown.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

cobham wrote: »
    Thanks for website link. This is bit for where I go at Seapoint, Dublin
    http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/monkstown.htm

Those temps are balmy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

mad m wrote: »
    Those temps are balmy!:)
    Warm enough to go wandering off for 5 minutes in the middle of a race anyway !

• Advertisement

Freddio wrote: »
    Warm enough to go wandering off for 5 minutes in the middle of a race anyway !

At least you have an excuse, I do it all the time.

At least you have an excuse, I do it all the time.
    I see you got vets today. Well done. Clearly not wandering around the scenic route!

One of those swims Freddio, got into a nice rhythm.,but I suspect some were holding back for tomorrow's race! Probably see you there.

You got team btw(men's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

but I suspect some were holding back for tomorrow's race!

Looks that way alright!:D Congrats

One of those swims Freddio, got into a nice rhythm.,but I suspect some were holding back for tomorrow's race! Probably see you there.

You got team btw(men's).

Congratulations ! I see your nemesis was on your heels today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Been swimming skins in the open water since April, if anything i'm finding that the temperatures are warming up quite quickly now its gone from the 8/9 degrees to around 13/14 which is lovely. Not being overly familiar with the trend in water temperatures over the course of the swimming season my assumption (correct me if im wrong) is that the temperatures wont go much higher then 16/17?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

This buoy tweets every 15 minutes:
    https://twitter.com/dublinbaybuoy
    I think 16 is about as high as it gets though it hit 17 one day last August

And you can get all geeky with the data here:
    http://cilpublic.cil.ie/MetOcean/MetOcean.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have to say the sea is lovely right now. Any warmer and wetsuit swimming anything over 750m would be a pain in the a$$. Found it uncomfortably warm in a wetsuit after 20 mins in Kilkee a few weeks ago. Sounds mad, but I felt I was sweating in the suit so crack on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

12 degrees in Howth for the Escape from Ireland this weekend. Still scrotum-tightening [(C) James Joyce] but grand once you're moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

14degrees at Galway and Dingle is fairly chilly.

Is there a similar website for lake temperatures by any chance ? I cant find a thing except historical papers on measurements related to reports on polution.

I also found this in my search : "For people not used to cold water (temperature under 15 °C), sudden immersion is associated with two problems, either of which may result in death from drowning." which would only confirm my belief that irish waters really arent designed to be swam in at the best of times .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you think 14C is cold you should eat more.

14C is positively balmy.

6C is cold.

Seapoint on Saturday had a bit of a snip in it. Wicklow yesterday was like soup. Killiney today was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

At what temperature do you need to wear earplugs to stop surfers ear(bone growths in ears)?Or do you all wear earplugs all the time?
    I never swim in temperatures below 12c myself though.

Advertisement