Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silat training in Dublin ?

• 30-06-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I've been considering taking up training in Muay Thai for some time now but have recently learned about Silat, which seems to be an even more lethal form of martial art. I'm tempted to go for this as my interest is in practical, real life training rather than sports / competition type training.

Dublin, however, seems to have precious little by way of Silat classes. I've googled and found only Silat Ireland, a website with precious little information other than classes supposedly held in Clondalkin Leisure Centre.

I have noticed that there is a Boards member going by the name of Silat Liam who posts here fairly regularly. I would welcome some advice from him or anyone else on Boards with knowledge/training of Silat. I have done some training in Krav Maga before and thoroughly enjoyed it so would now like to move onto something more advanced. And yes, I am aware from being a Boards regular that many people here seem to have, shall we say, mixed views on KM but I liked the practical, easy to learn aspect of it. Anyways, over to you guys and gals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

Hey Everlong.

I would recommend the Bahala Na Ireland. N.F.F. Combat Academy. I have trained with them for the last 6 years and the level of tuition is excellent.

They run classes in both Kali and Silat. The lessons are thought based on practicality and from a completely combative approach.

Really friendly and welcoming group as well.

They train on Tusdays nights in Drimnagh right on the luas red line. Saturdays in Kingswood again on the luas red line. and also out in Blanchards town on Sundays.

If you are interested i can Pm you contact details and you can give them a call.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi Everlong
    I've been teaching Silat since 1985, and we have classes in Dublin. From Mid July to end of August we have classes in The Park Community Center, and the rest of the year we have classes in Lucan and Knocklyon. The collective name for our group is Urban Silat and from that students once they complete a basic fundamental program can can choose to learn one or more of three distinct lineages either Malay Silat (Gayong Harimau / Harimau Berantai) or Indonesian Silat (Cimande) or Filipino Martial Arts. We train directly under Living Masters from each of the three areas and bring them to Ireland, so students can experience learning directly from them, and also yearly students travel out as well. The past year we have teachers over such as Jeff Davidson, Doug Marcaida, Jak Othman, and Cecep Rahman (The Raid 2) and in two weeks time Luke Holloway from Australia. Guru Jak returning in Nov and Cecep in summer 2016. You can find more about what we do and about on www.facebook.com/urbansilat or here is a few video links to our seminars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLpEng5o5kE - Cecep Rahman - Indonesian Silat - Cimande

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2lMjViMLc Jak Othman - Malay Silat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhmUgGX-QI - Doug Marcaida / Jeff Davidson - Kali / Silat

If what we offer in training with us and under our Master Teachers, the feel free to give me a call / text 087 9956569

Best Wishes with your journey.. Liam

Advertisement