Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player Watchlist 2014-2015

• 25-07-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭

Last year's Player Watchlist was an invaluable source of players that we felt could do a job in the world of fantasy football for us so I thought we should bring it back again this year.

Some will be hits and some will be misses but hopefully there'll be quite a few successful punts available to us this year after last years......actually I'm not going to talk about last year :o

I'll kick things off so:

GoalKeepers:

Tim Krul (Newcastle 4.5)
    Ok this is kind of obvious but after a poor second half to the season Newcastle's players have all suffered a probable .5 drop in value. If they sort themselves out then this is a bargain price.

Rob Green (QPR 4.5)
    I think QPR might be a good team to look at defensively this year. If they don't score goals then they'll have to keep things tight at the back. Probably the best of the promoted teams.

Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea 5.0)
    Fabianski was a very able deputy for Arsenal and with regular football we could see the best from him. Playing in front of a Swansea team who like to pass it and without the Europa League to contend with could see a better level of performance than last season. Rotates very well with Begovic of Stoke too.

Julian Speroni (Palace 5.0)
    Palace under Tony Pulis have been a revelation and it's like Stoke have been reborn. Even at 5.0 it's a good price and QPR and Palace rotate remarkably well early on. There may be competition with Hennessy but a battle Speroni will likely win.

David De Gea (Man Utd 5.5)
    A bad season last year for United but surely they won't be so poor and with 5/3 at the back looking likely De Gea might get even more protection. The Mignolet of last year only clean sheets might actually be attained this year.

Defenders:

Matt Targett (Southampton 4.0)
    I've been constantly singing his praises for the past week and I won't stop until it's finally he confirmed he won't be 1st choice LB. A gateway to the Saints defence at a bargain price needs to be monitored via the "new Luke Shaw"

Chris Baird (WBA 4.0)
    Worth keeping an eye on as Baird is a utility man and could pop anywhere in the backline or midfield. Or may not feature at all. Perfect fodder for the watchlist though. See Andre Wisdom too.

Davide Santon (Newcastle 4.5)
    I could tell you of the wonders of Ron Vlaar, John O'Shea, Rio Ferdinand, Geoff Cameron or Neil Taylor but I think Santon represents excellent value at 4.5. Dribbles now being awarded in the BPS along with crossing and general attacking could boost Santon's appeal significantly. There's many more options in the 4.5 range and you could quite easily fill your defence with them.

Ben Davies (Spurs 5.0)
    Another that has gone straight into my team. Spurs should tighten up under Pochettino while Davies could be pivotal in creating chances down the left. Obvious choice for me. Vermaelen if he goes to United and Jose Enrique if he starts at Liverpool could be assets. Trippier might be worth 5.0 if he fulfills the prophecy of being Seamus Coleman reborn but he plays for Burnley rather than Everton.

Filipe Luis (Chelsea 6.0)
    A Chelsea defender, wow so original you say. Well if you're shelling out 6.0 or more for a defender it should probably be from Chelsea. The first choice anyway. Signed for a significant sum so you'd expect he'd start. Might not have the goal threat of the other big 3 Chelsea defenders but assists are more likely and the BPS could suit him.

Midfielders:

Andy King (Leicester 4.5)
    A big player for the Foxes over the past few years and likes to chip in with a few goals from central. Not a big name, nothing too fancy but could be the perfect 4.5 mid who won't tempt you to play him.

George Boyd (Hull 4.5)
    A fair bit of uncertainty here but he's been chipping in with goals in pre-season and with Hull fighting on th European front this year too he might see more game time in either the league or Europa. There's potential here if things fall correctly.

Diego Poyet (West Ham 4.5)
    I'm not going to pretend I know much more than he's Gus Poyet's son and that he did quite well with Charlton last season. If he starts he could be a another option.

Tomas Rosicky (Arsenal 5.0)
    Yes I know, but I don't care. However he could be a perfect early gamble if Wenger does indeed rest his German players early in the season. At 5 it's worth monitoring. Arteta is 5.5 too and probably still on penalties if he starts.

Jordi Gomez (Sunderland 5.5)
    My eccentricity may be appearing more readily now but I also realised compiling all of this is getting more tedious :pac: Anyway Gomez is hit/miss and nowhere in between but he's good at set-pieces. Lots of these type of options at 5.5 that we can look at over the summer

Gylfi Sigurdsson (Swansea 6.0)
    A hero for me ever before I found this forum. If only we can get Papiss Cisse and Ben Arfa up and running we'll be flying it. I must mention Snodgrass for 6.0 too, Norwich be representing, yo.

Lennon/Townsend (Spurs 6.5)
    One of these could nail down the right wing under new management and with dribbles and crosses being rewarded more could see these 2 get some attention.

Herrera/Cabella (Man + New Utd 7.5)
    A knee-jerk to Herrera's one and only performance pre-season but he impressed. He got a lot further forward than I expected and could be an assist machine. Cabella and De Jong are big hopes for Newcastle.

Erik Lamela (Spurs 8.0)
    More bandwagoning here :P but if he's fit, healthy, in form and playing then he could be a revelation. He deserves a place on this list anyway.

Forwards:

Ashley Barnes (Burnley 4.5)
    I wouldn't be picking a 4.5 option but Barnes might see some game time, maybe.

Lukas Jutkiewicz (Burnley 5.0)
    This dude might play ahead of Barnes but I wouldn't be picking a 5.0 forward either. He's elligible to play for Ireland so if Emmet is running his Irish team again I'd claim him quick.

Glenn Murray (Palace 5.5)
    Be still my beating heart you might say but I think Murray could be a good player for Palace this year, especially if he's on penalties (he might not). A good preseason should set him right after being out injured until the last month.

Charlie Austin (QPR 6.0)
    He's my pick of the 6.0 forwards but Jelavic, Long, Ings, Wickham and Ideye all could contend. He should be on spot-kicks and if QPR score it probably will be Austin.

Mame Biram Diouf (Stoke 6.5)
    He's big and powerful and learned to score in Germany. If this translates back to the PL then he could be a credible option upfront whilst being fed by Arnie, Adam et al.

Enner Valencia (7.0 West Ham)
    Just added to the game today with the news that Carroll could be out for months means that Valencia could be an option if his World Cup form continues. Pricey at 7.0 though.

Graz Pelle (Southampton 7.5)
    Himself and Tadic did very well in the Dutch league and it's hoped they'll do well in the PL too. "Dusan Tadic and Graziano Pelle have both made the move from Eredivisie having garnered the top two ratings in the Dutch top-flight from WhoScored.com last season. Although the Italian front man just edged it (7.96 to 7.80), it's Tadic from whom the magic is expected." Football365 article Whoscored.com is actually useful when looking at players too I've found.

Diego Costa (Chelsea 10.5)
    He surely deserves a mention simply because he's new and a striker that plays for Chelsea. Whether he's worth a punt remains to be seen but we haven't have a viable Chelsea forward for years and 10.5 is relatively cheap to be fair.

Ok this took longer than I thought and is in no way exhaustive. There's loads of players I left out that I hope we can all add on. Happy player watching :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Ravel Morisson 5.0

He started last season on the bench before forcing his way into the side. He scored and assisted a few for a West Ham side lacking any attacking threat. He is a fantastic dribbler and with West Ham signing good strikers he could be a good option.

Downside is he got sent on loan over rumors Alardyce was unhappy he wouldn't change his agent to the same as his. Obvious risks attached but i will see how he starts the season. If he wasn't mad in the head he would be a superstar already hopefully he fulfills his talent.

Mannone 4.5 after a poor start to the season under Di Canio, Poyet had them looking solid at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Bloody hell, that was some post Mr P, fair play to you. I'm gonna pick a team right now with this post as my bible. Obviously I'll make changes but it's nice to look at a team that hasn't been auto selected. I haven't been following the forum lately, is Targett a contender to be the new you know who????:pac: It is certainly a name that will easily be incorporated into a team name.

By the way have you stepped down from modding duties? Thesis due in soon enough????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

By the way have you stepped down from modding duties? Thesis due in soon enough????

If the thesis is as detailed and thorough as the above post, he's sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Haha was going to recreate this at some stage but haven't had time, good work Mr P :)

There are some great options this year, especially in the £6m striker field. I would throw Arfield's name into the ring, another poster mentioned him the other day. A steal at £5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭CSF

roryc wrote: »
    Haha was going to recreate this at some stage but haven't had time, good work Mr P :)

There are some great options this year, especially in the £6m striker field. I would throw Arfield's name into the ring, another poster mentioned him the other day. A steal at £5m.
    Always nervous of the newly promoted teams here because they're always prone to sign a replacement before deadline day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Bloody hell, that was some post Mr P, fair play to you. I'm gonna pick a team right now with this post as my bible. Obviously I'll make changes but it's nice to look at a team that hasn't been auto selected. I haven't been following the forum lately, is Targett a contender to be the new you know who????:pac: It is certainly a name that will easily be incorporated into a team name.

Yeah I stepped down as mod there before the world cup started. You didn't miss any announcement so I guess this is it now :pac: I don't want to go too far off topic for long but basically I found modding wasn't for me. I probably wasn't posting as much and I wasn't enjoying the forum as much so I thought instead of dragging it out I'd just step down once the season was over. I'm going nowhere as a poster (evidently given said thesis above) and wanted to do what was right for the forum and myself.

As for the thesis, the less said the better. The fact I'm on boards right now is telling enough with just over a month to go :o Anyway that's all the gossip you'll get from me. We've got an off-topic thread we should be using. There's no point in even trying to outrun FutureGuy though as he's a running machine :)

Yes there are certain similarities between MT and MT 2.0 :D If you go back through the threads you'll see me mentioning him once or twice as an option. He's meant to be given a chance over pre-season to nail down the LB spot now that Shaw is gone so it's just something to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Robert Huth priced at 5.0 missed big chunks of the season last year. Stoke have great opening fixtures and he is generally good for a goal.

Jose Enrique as above if liverpool dont sign a LB Id expect him to be first Choice.

Scott Arfield Mid 5.0 hardworking player that gets his share of assists and goals.

Samir Nasri didnt go to the world cup and should be fresher than a lot of the big players. Id expect him to start the season strong due to this.

Kieran Trippier who was my big hope has been priced at 5.0 higher than I expected. I'll wait to see how burnley start and till the fixtures ease but will definetly have him in my team at some stage.

Wayne Rooney IMO the best value in the game for the first few weeks. Great fixtures and with a point to prove which is when he is usually at his best. Over the season not so much as he is prone to dips in form, injuries and can see him and LVG clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

is Calum Chambers one to watch if he goes to Arsenal?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    is Calum Chambers one to watch if he goes to Arsenal?
    Only if you're doing a League Cup Fantasy Football.

CSF wrote: »
    Only if you're doing a League Cup Fantasy Football.

haha true. 16 million to play in league cup tho...

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    haha true. 16 million to play in league cup tho...
    Long-term investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jovetic is going on my watchlist, could be a steal at 8.0 if things start to go his way.

Jerome Williams of Palace has been starting at LB so far in Pre-season. He's not added to the game yet but I can't imagine he'd be any more than 4.5. He could be a good option.

Not Jonathan Williams who's listed as a midfielder either.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Jerome Williams of Palace has been starting at LB so far in Pre-season. He's not added to the game yet but I can't imagine he'd be any more than 4.5. He could be a good option.

Thanks for clearing that up. Some lads on here get terribly mixed up! :pac:

or Cameron Jerome ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Been struggling hard to get three viable 4m defenders to facilitate my all out attack 352 Here are my finding so far, any other suggestions.

Hull City
    Chester is 4.5 if you can afford such luxury. Bruce and McShane are 4 but no kind of gametime certainty. If they play 3 centre backs Bruce might get a game.

Newcastle
    Dummet and Taylor come in at 4.0 with the former playing 1139mins last season, but still not yet enough to be sure either will start.

WBA
    We're probably all aware of loanee Wisdom, but the imminent arrival of the Costa Rican lad throws a slight doubt over his gametime. Some suggestions the new guy might play right mid, and Wisdom can also play centre half. A good prospect but not a cert. Think FFS or somewhere I read might have also suggested Chris Baird might have a shout.

Burnley
    Duff, but seems widely expected they'll replace him with a new signing.

Leicester
    Upson, Wasilewski? Anyone know the prospects on these guys?

And last but not least...
    Southampton
    Targett, having set his sights (sorry, couldn't resist) on Saints RB spot him preseason starts and Koemans praise means his prospects look good barring a new signing. But are Southampton's defence still a prospect worth investing in?

The pickings are slim in this price bracket as yet. Anyone got any gems?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

good shout also Peter Ramage(was on loan last season) at cb hasn't been added yet and has an eye for goal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭Shedite27

FHFC wrote: »
    The pickings are slim in this price bracket as yet. Anyone got any gems?
    Anyone who's a "guaranteed starter" (I hate that phrase) won't be valued at 4.0 to begin with, it's likely some will appear come week 1/2/3, but they're ones that both ourselves and the fantasyfootball price-makers don't think are starters.

There were none this time last season either, then Chester and Ward appeared. We'll have a better idea in September once the window closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone who's a "guaranteed starter" (I hate that phrase) won't be valued at 4.0 to begin with, it's likely some will appear come week 1/2/3, but they're ones that both ourselves and the fantasyfootball price-makers don't think are starters.

There were none this time last season either, then Chester and Ward appeared. We'll have a better idea in September once the window closes.

Long term injuries can help as well. Bruce for example at Hull emerged as a starter because of Chester's injury troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Jutkiewcz 5.0 could be in line to start up front with Ings for Burnley. He started last nights friendly in what was by the looks of it their strongest 11 available they only made 2 subs. Could be an option for those going 3 5 2.
    Danny simpson 4.5 also started right wing back for qpr in a 3 5 2.

• Advertisement

Jutkiewcz 5.0 could be in line to start up front with Ings for Burnley. He started last nights friendly in what was by the looks of it their strongest 11 available they only made 2 subs. Could be an option for those going 3 5 2.
    Danny simpson 4.5 also started right wing back for qpr in a 3 5 2.

I've been giving serious thought to Simpson and Ward/Williams of palace in rotation if I opt for De Gea in goal over Green/Speroni

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've been giving serious thought to Simpson and Ward/Williams of palace in rotation if I opt for De Gea in goal over Green/Speroni

Me too. Well, Stoke/Swansea plus QPR/Palace alongside a Chelsea defender.

What do you think of my post on the General Chat thread referencing similar?

It would give me; De Gea, Terry and then whatever two players are at home between the aforementioned teams which happens 34 out of 38 weeks. They have cracking starts too, when rotated.

Paully D wrote: »
    Me too. Well, Stoke/Swansea plus QPR/Palace alongside a Chelsea defender.

What do you think of my post on the General Chat thread referencing similar?

It would give me; De Gea, Terry and then whatever two players are at home between the aforementioned teams which happens 34 out of 38 weeks. They have cracking starts too, when rotated.

You basically read my mind is what you did Paully :pac: only I had Van Aanholdt and Santon/other Newcastle defender instead of the Swans/Stoke rotation but that's not set in stone. It makes a lot more sense to me to do the Chelsea defender and four from those 6 teams now that we're going to miss the targett. I'd be sacrificing Ben Davies but that's not the end of the world.

Yun Suk-Young (steady now :pac:) of QPR is only 4.0 and may be the LB. He's in competition with Traore one would imagine but somebody to keep an eye on. He played all 3 games for South Korea in the WC too and played his first game last night.

He could be useless but he's a 4 million defender so I'll add this potential gem...

There's a girl here in work that is from Leicester and follows them. She reckons Liam Moore will be a 4 million starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Moore

30 appearances last season, Young Player of the Month in September, has been a member of the England U21s and was the subject of a failed transfer bid from a then PL club Fulham in January.

Looking at Leicester's pre season, they have played Ilkeston, Everton and Walsall. Moore played a half against Ilkeston, the full game against Everton (despite the fact that Leicester fielded a hugely different team in the second half as opposed to the first) and thirty minutes against Walsall.

Leicester have four friendlies left but for now I am going to keep an eye on him. Leicester start with Everton home, Chelsea away and Arsenal home but I just want a 4 mil defender who will get a point or two for the appearance in the unlikely event they are needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Rightlad91

bojan 5.5 , nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Hull played 3 centre backs in Europa meaning 4.0m Alex Bruce started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Think this is the best place for this question.

Looking for the best 5.0 or 4.5 midfielder. In theory, someone that's guaranteed to start. Some options are:

Albrighton, 4.5m: have him in my team as a place holder. No idea if he will start or not.
    Delph, 5.0m: was Villa's player of the season last year, but that's not saying much. He is guaranteed game time but won't offer much going forward.
    Stehpen Ireland, 5.0m: started 7 of Stokes last 8 games last season, and chipped in with some goals and assists. Hard to know if he'll keep his place though.
    Scott Arfield, 5.0m: It appear he did quite well last season, but I honestly know nothing about him, and I don't like picking players that I don't know anything about!! Also, Burnley don't have the easiest first 3 games.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

FHFC wrote: »
    Hull played 3 centre backs in Europa meaning 4.0m Alex Bruce started.

That's because Jelavic didn't play though. When Jelavic plays, they generally go with 4-4-2.

I actually wouldn't mind if Bruce went back to the 3-5-2 with wing backs that they started last season with. Chester would be a great option as Hull were good for clean sheets at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Think this is the best place for this question.

Looking for the best 5.0 or 4.5 midfielder. In theory, someone that's guaranteed to start. Some options are:

Albrighton, 4.5m: have him in my team as a place holder. No idea if he will start or not.
    Delph, 5.0m: was Villa's player of the season last year, but that's not saying much. He is guaranteed game time but won't offer much going forward.
    Stehpen Ireland, 5.0m: started 7 of Stokes last 8 games last season, and chipped in with some goals and assists. Hard to know if he'll keep his place though.
    Scott Arfield, 5.0m: It appear he did quite well last season, but I honestly know nothing about him, and I don't like picking players that I don't know anything about!! Also, Burnley don't have the easiest first 3 games.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Robbie Brady, on set pieces and good fixtures. 5.0m with a little doubt over playing time but Bruce spoke well of him last week

If he starts he's the best in that bracket for me

Advertisement