Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Just want to say a massive thanks to PogMoThoin for his excellent guide and help over a few PM's.

I'd never attempted FTP access before let alone all the other stuff and havve managed to program the box so it's a carbon copy of POG's.

Thanks again chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Just want to say a massive thanks to PogMoThoin for his excellent guide and help over a few PM's.

I'd never attempted FTP access before let alone all the other stuff and havve managed to program the box so it's a carbon copy of POG's.

Thanks again chap.

Do a system update now to the latest version (Menu-->setup-->system update) and take a full backup in the software manager plugin, this will dump the backup to your usb drive so if you need to reinstall you can restore all your settings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Hi Guys, just got this box today, has anyone a good ready to go HDMU backup with channel list and all those cross EPG COOLTV plugins?

domel wrote: »
    Hi Guys, just got this box today, has anyone a good ready to go HDMU backup with channel list and all those cross EPG COOLTV plugins?

Thats just lazy :p

No, honestly, you're as well go through the guide and figure things out and make your own backup. Reson being, you'll know everything there is to know about installing plugins and modifying the box. You'll only be back here asking thousands of questions about basic shít if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats just lazy :p

No, honestly, you're as well go through the guide and figure things out and make your own backup. Reson being, you'll know everything there is to know about installing plugins and modifying the box. You'll only be back here asking thousands of questions about basic shít if you don't.

Thanks for answer I can read I I can simply follow your guidelines no problem, have you got FTA UK channel list at least?

• Advertisement

domel wrote: »
    Thanks for answer I can read I I can simply follow your guidelines no problem, have you got FTA UK channel list at least?

With Autobouquets you do not need one, it creates one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

There's no stopping these HDMU Images at the moment - nearly one daily. Just checking in Setup > Software Update

championc wrote: »
    There's no stopping these HDMU Images at the moment - nearly one daily. Just checking in Setup > Software Update

They may not all be updates, it could be one update and a few bug fixes for things broken in the update. Without update release notes we are in the dark. One thing is for sure, my box is more solid now though, no longer need to reboot daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

So I upgraded the box by installing the upgrade via the Software Management plugin. But to be honest, I'm not sure I can see any difference. Flicking through the terrestrial channels is still quite slow. Maybe a tiny bit faster than before but not quite as fast as when flicking through the satellite channels. I actually suspect that no update was actually applied. If I go to Menu->Information->About, I get this info:
    hardware: spark7162
    Image: undefined
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.59_stm24_0211
    Enigma: Dec 21 2012
    Last upgrade: unavailable
    Front processor version: 0

If I go to Menu->HDMU Centre->System Infos, I get this info:
    HDMU rev: 1470
    GIT Rev: 5082

1470 was the build that I originally installed. I installed from 1470 and not from 1447 like most people as 1470 was the latest image available when I flashed my box, but I wouldn't think that would cause a problem?

So, I'm suspecting I'm still running 1470 and not 1613 (or whatever is the build it's supposed to have been installed). But then, if I go again to try to upgrade the software, it says that there are no new images available (implying I have the latest image installed).

Is there something I can do to check whether I'm really running a 16XX image instead of 1470? Is there any option or feature that it's available in the latest builds that wasn't present in the 14XX builds?

People who have already upgraded their boxes, what do you see when you go to Menu->HDMU Centre->System Infos. Do you see HDMU rev 14XX or 16XX?

I also have 1447 after an update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I also have 1447 after an update

OK. So maybe the "initial" image number never changes. Well, I suppose the next few days will tell if indeed this image is more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

They are probably just nightly builds ... some will contain no changes whatsover and others will contain small updates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

How stable is the Enigma 2 platform now in comparison with say a Vu+ Duo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Zardoz wrote: »
    How stable is the Enigma 2 platform now in comparison with say a Vu+ Duo ?

I have 2 vuo Duo's and one of these receivers, The GM T2 version. I am very impressed with this receiver. Its just as stable. Obviously the inbuilt T2 tuner is a big advantage over the Duo. No need for usb dtt stick, No crashing when recording dtt channels.

The only negative is some plugins are not yet compatable with this receiver. In saying that, All the plugins I use on the Duo's are working on this receiver bar one. It would be nice to get "remotestreamconvert" working on this receiver.

All in all this receiver is excellent value for money...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

givecredit wrote: »
    I have 2 vuo Duo's and one of these receivers, The GM T2 version. I am very impressed with this receiver. Its just as stable. Obviously the inbuilt T2 tuner is a big advantage over the Duo. No need for usb dtt stick, No crashing when recording dtt channels.

The only negative is some plugins are not yet compatable with this receiver. In saying that, All the plugins I use on the Duo's are working on this receiver bar one. It would be nice to get "remotestreamconvert" working on this receiver.

All in all this receiver is excellent value for money...
    Cheers givecredit ,thats just what I wanted to hear,feedback from someone who has both boxes so would be able to give an honest objective review.

There seems to be very mixed reports on the Alien 2/Triplex.
    Some people say Enigma 2 is stable on the units while other people say it is full of bugs ,unusable and not worth buying.
    I suspect alot of the negative reports are either a)novice linux users b)using older versions of enigma or c) Vu+ fanboys .

Vu+ Duo is a nice box but it is overpriced ,there is no doubt of that .
    The Alien 2/triplex is nearly half the price and has the inbuilt Saorview tuner and if you say
    All the plugins I use on the Duo's are working on this receiver bar one.
    thats good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

Ok so what i can gather from this thread, people can stream from this box (or i assume the connected HD) over a local network

My question is can the receiver stream video files from a local network storage area.
    And if it can, what file types does it support?

Also, could it be possible to record to a NSA over the ethernet connection, or is recording only through the usb?

You can stream channels from the box using the box's web interface and it will stream to VLC

By installing the Samba Plugin, you can access a directly connected USB Hard Disk over your network by simply using the IP i.e \\192.168.1.2\media

I believe that programmes can be saved to a NAS rather than to a directly connected USB HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 8 brushdown

Hello All, Hope this is in the right section, but I have a small problem. I have amiko alien2 box and have spark and emigma runnig fine, I downloaded rte player which is working perfect, but how do you stop it ? I have to wait till the program is over, sometime I reboot. any ideas? Thanks [new to the forum]

• Registered Users Posts: 23 123skb

I just press the stop button and it works for me

Stop works for me also

• Advertisement

THanks 123 skb and PogMoThoin!! DOH! ! didn't see the stop button on the remote!!! Feel very foolish not seeing as I was pressing exit button. Thanks for your help!! Regards brushdown

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

championc wrote: »
    You can stream channels from the box using the box's web interface and it will stream to VLC

By installing the Samba Plugin, you can access a directly connected USB Hard Disk over your network by simply using the IP i.e \\192.168.1.2\media

I believe that programmes can be saved to a NAS rather than to a directly connected USB HDD

Thanks champ, thats pretty much the deal done for me so.

i am currently using a WD live tv media streamer to access all 4tb of films i have stored on my NSA. Which is great, but i am going to move that to the bedroom.
    The hope is that this alien2 can do everything my old set up could do and potentially more from the same remote.

Earlier in the thread, a number of people complained about faulty boxes. Can anyone recommend a suplier, or just go with the cheapest one that was shown earlier?

HI All, I have an 8gig stick and like to put a back up of image I have at present onto it so I can put another enigma 2 img to try out. I will be buying a usb hdd soon and for the present I just want to experiment without screwing up the paths to a hhd.Any ideas/ Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Thanks champ, thats pretty much the deal done for me so.

i am currently using a WD live tv media streamer to access all 4tb of films i have stored on my NSA. Which is great, but i am going to move that to the bedroom.
    The hope is that this alien2 can do everything my old set up could do and potentially more from the same remote.

Earlier in the thread, a number of people complained about faulty boxes. Can anyone recommend a suplier, or just go with the cheapest one that was shown earlier?

Look to go with an authorised distributor or reseller, these boxes have a 2 year warranty so you need to make sure that who you buy it from will back up this warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Robxxx7 wrote: »

Look to go with an authorised distributor or reseller, these boxes have a 2 year warranty so you need to make sure that who you buy it from will back up this warranty
    Could you recommend a place or two that would be reputable?

TheTechGuy wrote: »

http://www.satworld.ie/product-info.php?Amiko_Alien_2_Triple_Tuner-pid554.html

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Sat world and some other crowd in mayo are the only Irish authorised resellers and lavronics ( spelling?? ) in the uk.

You can check yourself on www.amikostb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

123skb wrote: »
    some other crowd in mayo [/url]

McGrath Electronics, good guys, very helpful when I contacted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sattvfan

Just found out about this forum. I am in the UK so does the DVB-T2 tuner work 100% for our Freeview HD channels ?

How does the Amiko compare to the Golden Media Spark Triplex ?

• Advertisement

Ya it works 100% with UK freeview, Both SD and HD.

Im not 100% sure but the GM triplex is more or less the same, same sti graphics (which is the best you will get on any box) and same processer family but the amiko has a bigger flash memory and a higher clock speed.
    Again Im not 100% sure - maybe somebody else might confirm!!!

Also there are a lot of GM clones out there, only buy from a trusted source. Same with the alien 1 but have not heard of any alien 2 clones YET.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement