Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mallett

Lydon House i think where Zhivagos is now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Not a mention of Raftery's so far :D
    There's a discount store there now to left of BOI on Mainguard St.
    They were definitely ahead of their time for a small town.
    Anything from a resistor to meccano to a bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 B.E.S.T.

Ha ha The Flying Pigs is right. They`d be up and down Quay St. and Shop St. for a half an hour before the show trying to get people to go see them. Dragging unsuspecting tourists into the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

B.E.S.T. wrote: »
    Ha ha The Flying Pigs is right. They`d be up and down Quay St. and Shop St. for a half an hour before the show trying to get people to go see them. Dragging unsuspecting tourists into the pub.

and those lovely tourists left happy..confused (and sometimes drunk) but happy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I lived in Maree outside Oranmore and can remember the huge fire in Corbett's and the rest of the area back in 1970. The smoke could be seen for miles.

As a 60's baby I can remember Five Star where my mother did some of her grocery shopping, the rest was done when a man with a lorry went from house to house with his mobile "supermarket".

A special occasion was going to the GBC or Lydon House for a mineral as fizzy drinks were called back then and a cake that were served on the tiered cake stands.

Every summer Marquees were a big thing and I remember going to various ones seeing the likes of Gina, Dale Hayes and the Champions who are reforming ;)

I remember the nightclubs in Salthill but cannot remember the names of them as the names changed the whole time. Also remember Seapoint the ballroom of romance.

I emigrated in 1984 so my memories are mainly prior to that.

One of the most noted landmarks in Galway City was the Padraig O'Connaire statue in Eyre Square, statue of old man sitting down and children climbed all over it. People had their photos taken sitting on it.

Swimming in Ballyloughane was literally a case of going through the motions - raw sewage.

In the Galway Shopping Centre there was a ladies clothes shop called Gaywear that catered for special occasion, long before people ever mentioned anything to do with anyone being gay.

I remember the proper farmer's markets on Saturday mornings down beside a church, think it was called St. Nicholas's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

deisemum wrote: »
    A special occasion was going to the GBC or Lydon House for a mineral as fizzy drinks were called back then and a cake that were served on the tiered cake stands.
    I'm a child of the early 80's but a trip to the GBC was an very occasional treat enjoyed by us when I was a young lad.
    deisemum wrote: »
    I remember the proper farmer's markets on Saturday mornings down beside a church, think it was called St. Nicholas's.
    There is a still a market there, but it's not really a farmer's market as far as I can see.

Never been down to it when it was in full swing as such. Usually pass it when it's winding down for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paddytheloaf

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Not a mention of Raftery's so far :D
    There's a discount store there now to left of BOI on Mainguard St.
    They were definitely ahead of their time for a small town.
    Anything from a resistor to meccano to a bicycle.

A guy called Des was the main man......Can't remember his last name...??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Des Hynes wrote: »
    The Yacht pub on Eglington Street
    Manderely in Salthill
    Twiggs
    The Oasis
    Spinnaker
    Lantern
    Jim Carneys bookies (next door to Hole in the Wall)
    Whispers Nightclub

What was the pub around the corner from the Yacht ... jasus i spent me youth in there an d cant remember it at moment.

Ya cant talk about Galway memories and NOT mention

Una Taffee and the way she might look at ya !
    I remember always crossing the street to avoid meeting her dogs coming out of the shop and taking a chunk out of ya.

Anyone remember that big green metal art piece that was in the Galway Shopping centre before the roof went on, what was that all about?

alibabba wrote: »
    Ya cant talk about Galway memories and NOT mention

Una Taffee and the way she might look at ya !
    I remember always crossing the street to avoid meeting her dogs coming out of the shop and taking a chunk out of ya.

Anyone remember that big green metal art piece that was in the Galway Shopping centre before the roof went on, what was that all about?

The art piece was supposed to be Cu Chulainn....

• Advertisement

Here is the map dated 1600s
    Streets have really not changed that much.
    You can even understand why PAddys bar on Prospect Hill use to be called the Gallows ... they hung people right outside the front door, its even depicted on the map if ou look closely.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old-Galway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Video footage of Terryland Park in 1987 before they built 2 stands and installed floodlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3dQ3gLTjw

Notice in the video that the gammy 80's style tracksuits worn by Sligo are the same design as what they have now.:D

That map used to be on the menus in The Cellar restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Streets have really not changed that much.
    You can even understand why PAddys bar on Prospect Hill use to be called the Gallows ... they hung people right outside the front door, its even depicted on the map if ou look closely.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old-Galway.jpg

Would be interesting to put names to the numbers on the map. By that I mean the names then and now for reference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What was the pub around the corner from the Yacht ...

Alfies ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Alfies ??

Nope, dont think so
    Laffeys it twas

The same place I believe, someone will roll up with proof any minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

What about Caspers 24 hour chipper on Mary Street? What a kip.

The same place I believe, someone will roll up with proof any minute :D

Laffeys and Alfies were one and the same......I think at some stage it was known as Tom and Jerrys???

• Advertisement

Laffeys and Alfies were one and the same.

I knew it :D Now does anybody remember 'Dirty Dicks' and the car seats ????

Tom Kenny has a stupendously good collection of Old Galway photos here

http://www.kennys.ie/News/OldGalway/Archive/

Most of them are older than the reference period for this thread , typically the last 40 years or so .

Tom also has a potted history of the street or event once you click through the photo and welcomes any added information through an email address at the bottom of each article .

He may well allow use of the photos if he is asked first by email and if the person asking wants to use it to support a point about that particular place but do remember he may have borrowed them in the first place and that copyright always applies and that if you do use it you should send him a link to the post where you used it in case he is interested .

People with Videos to post should also send the Youtube links through to Tom for use on his own site , I am pretty sure he would be grateful ( especially if he does not have to pay for the bandwidth :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I knew it :D Now does anybody remember 'Dirty Dicks' and the car seats ????

Is that something to do with dogging?

mikom wrote: »
    Is that something to do with dogging?

Nope, the answer to this would be from back in the day when dogging was something that generally only went on in College Road after dark and "can I bum a fag" was something you could say openly across a pub on Quay Street without getting thrown out . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Tom Kenny has a stupendously good collection of Old Galway photos here

http://www.kennys.ie/News/OldGalway/Archive/

Most of them are older than the reference period for this thread , typically the last 40 years or so .

Tom also has a potted history of the street or event once you click through the photo and welcomes any added information through an email address at the bottom of each article .

He may well allow use of the photos if he is asked first by email and if the person asking wants to use it to support a point about that particular place but do remember he may have borrowed them in the first place and that copyright always applies and that if you do use it you should send him a link to the post where you used it in case he is interested .

People with Videos to post should also send the Youtube links through to Tom for use on his own site , I am pretty sure he would be grateful ( especially if he does not have to pay for the bandwidth :D )

There's a guy called Willie Henry who writes in the Galway Independent. In fact, he's the only good thing about that rag - I don't know how they got him.

In my opinion (and it's obviously only an opinion) his stuff is far more interesting and infinitely better researched than Kenny's. He really delves into the history of Galway rather than just filling column inches with lists of people in old photographs. He has a few great books out as well, one about a Coffin Ship that left Galway during the famine, the St. John I think.

Never met the guy but I hear he's very approachable as well.

churchview wrote: »
    In my opinion (and it's obviously only an opinion) his stuff is far more interesting and infinitely better researched than Kenny's. He really delves into the history of Galway rather than just filling column inches with lists of people in old photographs.

But he has no website , unlike Tom .

But he has no website , unlike Tom .

Very fair point. Henry's not geared up for the same publicity or as commercial as Kenny, more of an academic/scholarly approach I suppose. Having said that a search on the Galway Independents website will throw up some interesting stuff.

Very fair point. Henry's not geared up for the same publicity or as commercial as Kenny, more of an academic/scholarly approach I suppose

Having a website does not make you definitive , after all Maurice Semple never had a website and produced stacks of books on Galway and certainly the Corrib ( although these are all basically various editions of 4 books ) ..click below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=maurice+semple&x=15&y=16

I don't get you SpongeBob? I'm not saying that Henry needs a website to be definitive? In fact, I'm saying that he's very good even though he doesn't have a website. Whereas Kenny, while he has a website and is interesting, really isn't in the same league as Henry.

Agreed on Semple, his books are full of great information, but I'd disagree in that the ones on the Corrib are quite different from each other.

Anyway....I'm not arguing (and I know you're not either S'Bob)

so, for those who want to go back a bit in Galway Time, check out

William Henry
    Maurice Semple
    Tom Kenny
    Peadar O'Dowd
    Hardiman's History of Galway
    Wilde's Lough Corrib - his son wrote a bit of fiction :)
    Journals of the Old Galway Society

..who else?

• Advertisement

Hardiman's History of Galway

Awww here , you forgot Roderick O Flaherty and his History of Iar Connaught :D

Anyway , pedantry with links simply works better .

Hardimans History of Galway ( FREE DOWNLOAD , PDF 39MB)

William Wilde , Lough Corrib ( Free Online )

Advertisement