Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

The Claddagh Palace was great was very sad to see it go and felt sorry for the buskar he was there for as long as I can remember. Some weekends the movie letters used to get changed around at night, remember "The Naked Gun" was changed to "The Naked Nun" once.

My Mother is still going on about what they did to "The Riddle of the Sands" title!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Stevolende wrote: »
    is Eyre square going to be slowly re-surrounded by fencing? I had an old image of the park I think from early in the last century (though it could have been as late as the 60s) with railings surrounding it.

Those same railings are now surrounding St. Nicholas church

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Those same railings are now surrounding St. Nicholas church

yeah, should have remembered that.
    Was more intrigued by how far the new railing/barriers were going since I thought I saw some new ones on the other side of the park recently.
    Though it is possible that it was a barrier preventing people walking on the road outside the tree stand between the 403 and 402 bus stops I noticed. Think there was something else too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Aircraft in the sea off Salthill

I came across a very interesting site about every aircraft accident in the Republic during WW2. There were about 180 incidents involving crashes and forced landings of aircraft in Ireland and the surrounding seas in the 1939 to 1945 period.

Eight were in Co. Galway or off the Galway coast.

Ronnie O'Gorman documents two of the most famous in the Advertiser… a PB4Y-1 bomber off Ballyconneely and ‘Stinky’ in Athenry, a giant B-17 Flying Fortress full of American top brass.

But I had not heard of the Vickers Wellington G.R. XIV which crashed in the sea off Salthill on October 4, 1944 !

wellington2.jpg

The story of this plane and it's crew is documented in great detail on the site, and contained the following nuggets of information:
    The man who told me about it was the late Tommie Cooke, who used to run the old Moy Hotel in Ballina (now the Ballina Library).

He was an officer in the Irish Army during ww2, and was Duty Officer in Renmore Barracks the night of the crash. He told me he got a phone call from the telephone kiosk outside the Warwick Hotel in Lower Salthill from the Wellington pilot (S/Ldr G. Allington, a New Zealander, if I remember correctly). The then Captain Cooke advised him he would send a truck to Salthill to pick him and his crew up, bring them back to Renmore, give them a hot meal and a bed, and that they would be back across the N. Ireland border within 36 hours (which apparently was the arrangement for downed allied fliers).

Allington told him he first needed the use of a motor launch to confirm that the plane had sunk below water, since it contained a lot of top-secret electronics, which had to be kept out of enemy hands! Captain Cooke provided the boat, the plane was established to have been completely below water, and whatever crew could be found were brought to Renmore Barracks.

And the captain's letter to the mother of one of the crew who was unfortunately drowned in Galway Bay when his paracute failed to open.
    Returning from our Patrol we were unable to get to our base [because of] weather conditions, and radio aids were of no use either at that time. I decided that we would have to abandon the aircraft, so found a town on the coast & prepared the crew for the jump. Stan prepared me with my kit and helped the other boys also, opening the escape hatch beside me on the floor. [W]hen I told him to go first, he quietly stepped forward and told me he would stay with me and help the others out first over [a] narrow strip [of land] .. [A]s [the jump] had taken more time than I had anticipated I turned back along the shore line for another run. As I was going to turn the aircraft back onto its course again I had engine trouble, so told Stan to leave, which he did … The [engine] trouble was slight actually so I got everything under control again, settled the aircraft and left it myself. [After] landing I realized that Stan was probably in the water....(Stan's) gallant act of self-sacrifice cost [him] his life.

Does anyone have any more details about this accident and was 'the narrow strip of land' Seaweed Point ?

Does anyone know if the remains of the wreck are still there on the seabed off Salthill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mirandapanda

Hi, does anyone know where the Manhattan Lounge in Galway used to be??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pretty sure no such place exists...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

was it where the kilkenny shop is now? They used to do cocktails.

U2 played a gig there in '79, so it definitely existed, just no idea where it was..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Doesn't exist any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Did U2 play in a venue that is now The Cellar? Was told that a few times..

• Advertisement

U2 used to play in the Cellar on Sunday mornings, so must be a different place. They just had a gig in the Manhattan Lounge for one night in 1979..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

The Manhattan used to be where Monroe's is now.

Thanks a mil :)

no problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

wasnt there a shortlived cocktail bar opposite freenys bar called manhattens, back around the early to mid 90's?

wasnt there a shortlived cocktail bar opposite freenys bar called manhattens, back around the early to mid 90's?

it was mid 90's and I don't think it even lasted two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

skelliser wrote: »
    a few more...

spainish arch was a carpark
    jurys was a derelict mill
    arch motors was were bazaar is now
    easons was called o'gormans toy shop
    town hall theatre was a cinema with holes in must of the seats
    headford rd shopping centre had no roof
    there was no quincintenial bridge
    claddagh palace
    behind roches was a big carpark, carpark behind boi at bottom of the square, carpark behind corbett court, radisson/bus station was also a carpark, apartments on merchants road was also a car park
    massive dome type thingy down the docks for coal i think,
    main road went around that way also, now it cuts through past the harbour hotel.
    man with monkey in eyre square near imperial hotel
    blind accordian player outside treasure chest
    news at ten were monsoon is now
    o connors was were river island is, upstairs was video rental place with mirrors on each side as you walked up the stairs!
    omniplex/woodies was a field
    rahoon flats

I remember the blind guy with the accordion! Also, most of my life between the age of 7 and 17 was spent renting videos from O'Connors -I loved that video store. I remember when they shut the store in '98/'99 they sold off all of the videos - I got myself a kick ass B-movie collection from that place for about 20 quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

no quincintenial bridge!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Treadhead wrote: »

These photos are a treasure, can anyone date them or get close??! , are there any more out there ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭ Maverick Scrawny Form

The ESB shop was where Born in Newtownsmith is now.
    The Town Hall Cinema
    The Claddagh Palace
    Jury's and where KC Blakes is was totally derelict
    Merchant's Road carpark used to be just a gravel carpark
    The Eyre Sq centre was built-I remember them finding skeletons whilst digging the foundations out for the multistorey carpark there
    Woolworths on Eyre Sq
    Galway Shopping Centre used to be open-air (the central aisles)
    Tesco used to be Quinnsworth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

I just can't get used to that new fangled 'Claddagh Palace' name, especially as it's nowhere near the Claddagh.

It'll always be the Estoria...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭ Maverick Scrawny Form

Thought of another one....The Hanger in Salthill! I don't remember it but my parents used to rock the nights away there. There and Seapoint (pre-slot machines)!
    My great-grandmother died in Seapoint...no, not while playing bingo...it used to be a hospital years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Packy

Have one here of galway city around galway cathedral was opened http://youtu.be/NjIigedsaXA

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I've posted this before in another thread about Galway in the 80's but for what it's worth...

I wish they would have incorporated the Oconaire statue into the new Eyre Square, or at least a replica, and kept more of the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The people who decided to change Eyre Square to what it is today should be ashamed of themselves, the Square was beautiful with trees flowers and railings all around it, then you had the O Conaire statue and the two black cannons at the top.

It could only happen in Galway to destroy such a beautiful place. The cannons are hidden away at Galway City Council, a student prank saw the removal of the statue, they should all be brought back to where they belong and please take away that unsightly plastic surrounding the window at the top of the Square

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The people who decided to change Eyre Square to what it is today should be ashamed of themselves, the Square was beautiful with trees flowers and railings all around it, then you had the O Conaire statue and the two black cannons at the top.

It could only happen in Galway to destroy such a beautiful place. The cannons are hidden away at Galway City Council, a student prank saw the removal of the statue, they should all be brought back to where they belong and please take away that unsightly plastic surrounding the window at the top of the Square

Will somebody think of the children. We can't have them climbing on trees or railings or cannons or poor auld padraic - they could fall and get hurt and sue the city council!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Krieg wrote: »
    I believe there was one of those laundry buildings for naughty girls who had sex before marraige, in foster court up until 1990? (obviously out of commission for many years previous)
    We've found out recently it closed in 1984.

I miss Madame Bridget who used to sit outside the UlsterBank on EyreSquare. Did anyone have their reading come true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Ah, I remember going into banks in the old days.

We were happy then, though we were poor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Ah, I remember going into banks in the old days.

We were happy then, though we were poor...

It was far from poor you were if you could go into a bank in the "good old" days

Advertisement