Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XBConnect problem

• 22-07-2003 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I know there's some people here using XBConnect (uzami? Dangger?), and having played with the XBox Live beta for a while, I thought I'd go online with Halo via XBConnect.

Problem is, I can't join any games, and no-one can join a game I host. I can see the other XBox, but when I go to join the game, it says that it can't join the system link game.

[fuzz] on the help channel on XBConnect mentioned something about not all PAL XBoxes can talk to each other, but I couldn't join games with UK users either.

I've configured my router to forward port 8206 TCP & UDP, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Any ideas anyone?

Ciarán.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

are you using xboxconnect on a wireless connection?

this fecked me up at first .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Zone Alarm was the culprit.

I managed to get it working though, and it was easy enough in the end. And I can still have my firewall set to High Security for the Internet zone. I just added 0.0.0.1 as a trusted IP address. This is the address that all XBoxes use for system link games. Zone Alarm was not allowing packets from that address to route through the PC. Once it was trusted, then it worked fine :)

It was fun playing multi-player Halo, though it was a bit laggy. I was getting pings in the region of 140ms in the two games I played, sometimes dropping to 90ms, and once it spiked at 400! This was with a game hosted in Sweden, so I suppose I shouldn't be complaining :) Still, a UK-hosted game was also jumpy, but you probably need lower pings to get good performance. It would be interesting to try it out with an Irish-hosted game.

Ciarán.

Advertisement