Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Does anyone have a list of these groups, I am particularly interested in the finance partners and have heard that NO IRISH banks are involved save in one case .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah one thing about all these PPPs is that its specifically worded to allow European banks to come on board. The Irish banks dont have enough money and I wouldnt trust them to loan me millions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

Have to say that the Newlands Cross Underpass/Overpass is one of the schemes recession or not that should be preceded with passing down that way last week at rush hour??? I was quite amazed at the back up of traffic as far south as St John’s Rd. What a pain for motorist who have enjoyed such a great drive from Waterford or Cork to the Capital to find this holdup before getting onto the superb M50. This project as the last part of the IU jigsaw must be a priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

According to the March 2010 PPP Update from the NRA the five groups left in the running at that stage for the N11/N7 PPP were:

1. BAM Balfour Beatty
    2. Direct Route (including AIB, Roadbridge, Sisk and Lagan)
    3 Eurolink
    4. Gasta Roads (including Elliots and Wills)
    5. Atlantic Roads Group

According to the NRA, the closing date for submissions from them was the 5th of March.

Based on previous timelines contract award (subject to funding) should be middle 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dugganm07

Does the fact that these are going to be built through PPP mean that newlands cross will be tolled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

dugganm07 wrote: »
    Does the fact that these are going to be built through PPP mean that newlands cross will be tolled?

No this was answered already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

dugganm07 wrote: »

Putting a toll booth on Newlands Cross would be worse than the current arrangement for congestion at peak times

Newlands cross interchange needs a proper wider bridge to facilitate extra traffic on it. A 3 lane section here is to short sighted this close to Dublin city. Since most of the M7 needs widening and the DC carries 90,000 cars a day. Traffic backs up to the M50 and Rathcoole at peak times. It would make sense that the N7 should have room for 4 lanes each way to Citywest.

A distrubuter road should be built from the luas P+R to free up weaving and local movements off the mainline and move the bus lane onto the distrubutor road also. I think the NRA/SDCC already included this in the plan now.

The SDCC should seriously think about putting a decent R road to connect Belgard with the Luas park and ride and the Redcow. Either way it has to be done, the current LILO at the redcow is far to dangerous to keep there in the long term.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    Newlands cross interchange needs a proper wider bridge to facilitate extra traffic on it. A 3 lane section here is to short sighted this close to Dublin city. Since most of the M7 needs widening and the DC carries 90,000 cars a day. Traffic backs up to the M50 and Rathcoole at peak times. It would make sense that the N7 should have room for 4 lanes each way to Citywest.

The reason the old thread was locked and this one created was you going on about this.

The section to be bridge does not carry 90,000 PCUs through traffic. It never has, and it won't for 20+ years if ever. Turning traffic will not be crossing the bridge.

You also made up the "90,000" figure by taking a traffic count from far further out and adding a fantasy figure for every junction further in. Ignoring the massive amount of journeys which leave the N7 at these junctions...

MYOB wrote: »
    The reason the old thread was locked and this one created was you going on about this.

The section to be bridge does not carry 90,000 PCUs through traffic. It never has, and it won't for 20+ years if ever. Turning traffic will not be crossing the bridge.

Sorry but I dissagree. I posted facts from the road needs study graphs and NRA counters. I believe traffic is well over the figure you gave, and even the Counter at Johnstown has traffic with 75,000 2007/08. I have always made the point clear with regards to all N routes near Dublin increase dramatically closer to the city. Newlands cross is the busiest junction in the country. It deserves to be future proofed to at least 4 lanes wide each way, (even if not widened now) but room been provided seems logical.

It's good to plan ahead. You can dissagree however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sorry but I dissagree. I posted facts from the road needs study graphs and NRA counters. I believe traffic is well over the figure you gave, and even the Counter at Johnstown has traffic with 75,000 2007/08. I have always made the point clear with regards to all N routes near Dublin increase dramatically closer to the city. Newlands cross is the busiest junction in the country. It deserves to be future proofed to at least 4 lanes wide each way, (even if not widened now) but room been provided seems logical.

It's good to plan ahead. You can dissagree however. I think you played the bigger part in geting it locked, because you and others decided to attack me over it.

You can "believe" the traffic is well over the actual figures given by the NRA, but its not. The NRAs figures are accurate. Your fantasies are not.

As goes "increase dramatically closer to the city" - no, they don't. Traffic figures tail off heavily as they pass by large generators of journeys. Between Johnstown the N7 passes:

*Rathcoole - Greenogue and Aerodrome Business Parks
    *Citywest
    *The Outer Ring Road, and hence Profile Park, Grange Castle

I wouldn't be surprised if Citywest eats 10,000 PCUs of the figure seen at Johnstown alone.

Then we come to NX itself, where about 15,000 PCUs leave to either the Belgard or Fonthill Roads. These PCUs will not cross the bridge.

Three lanes each side is perfectly fine. The NRA is working off real world figures, not fantasy world ones.

You can "believe" the traffic is well over the actual figures given by the NRA, but its not. The NRAs figures are accurate. Your fantasies are not.

As goes "increase dramatically closer to the city" - no, they don't. Traffic figures tail off heavily as they pass by large generators of journeys. Between Johnstown the N7 passes:

*Rathcoole - Greenogue and Aerodrome Business Parks
    *Citywest
    *The Outer Ring Road, and hence Profile Park, Grange Castle

I wouldn't be surprised if Citywest eats 10,000 PCUs of the figure seen at Johnstown alone.

Then we come to NX itself, where about 15,000 PCUs leave to either the Belgard or Fonthill Roads. These PCUs will not cross the bridge.

Three lanes each side is perfectly fine. The NRA is working off real world figures, not fantasy world ones.

Look MYOB you can argue over this again. But I travel this road regulary and the road traffic increases all the way to the Redcow. Naas, Sallins, Rathcoole, Saggart,Kill, Newcastle are commuter towns. These are all along side the N7. Traffic increases because they residents in these areas work in the greater Dublin area.

The NRA figures for Johnstown is 75,000. Kill would have higher traffic counts than the Johnstown one. The old counters pre upgraded N7, were 60,000 at Johnstowns and 64,000 at Kill. Even years ago, traffic backed up at the Rathcoole junction more than the kill or Johnstown lights. You may not be familar with this road. But having travelled it quite regulary. The kill lights had quese twice the lenght of the Johnstown junction. It simply means commuting traffic drops as it filters into the towns further away from Dublin.

Obvously Newlands cross is the busiest of all of them. I don't like to use todays traffic figures to build roads, I like to future proof roads. I think your just arguing for the sake of it.

Oh, I'm fully familiar with the road. Moreso than you, it'd appear, as you seem to be oblivious to how much traffic leaves the road at NX, the ORR, Citywest and Rathcoole.

More people work in Rathcoole/Newcastle in the business parks than live there and work in the city centre. Significantly more work in City West than live there and work in the CC.

Oh, I'm fully familiar with the road. Moreso than you, it'd appear, as you seem to be oblivious to how much traffic leaves the road at NX, the ORR, Citywest and Rathcoole.

More people work in Rathcoole/Newcastle in the business parks than live there and work in the city centre. Significantly more work in City West than live there and work in the CC.

I've stated the facts and actual demography of the road. I happen to use the road daily. I don't think you can vouch to know where all the commuters decide to go at NX, but the N7 traffic increases all the way to the redcow and peaks at the red cow junction itself.

Kill has higher traffic volumes than Johnstown. Rathcoole and Saggart has higher volumes than Kill, Newlands cross has higher traffic than the rest. Red cow has even more. I pass this road regulary. And traffic does not drop at all at Newlands cross.

These are the facts. It was the was the situation before the Naas road upgrades. Rathcoole traffic lights were a nightmare long before Kill and Johnstown were.

Your just very wrong on your notions of Traffic at Rathcoole just dropping 10,000 :rolleyes: But we will aggree to dissagree on the latter.

For common sense reasons (with the interurbans finishing, population increases along the N7, M7 widening to 3 lanes)
    I would like to see the Rathcoole to Redcow future proofed, with NX been wide enough for provision of a fourth lane in the future. I think it would be logical to make it wider anyhow.

The same issue arised with the M50 SE section motorway. The contractor asked to build it at 3 lanes at a fraction of the cost of a 2 laner, but SDCC and the NRA declined, and here they are widening it as we speak.

You've not stated a single fact other than a traffic count 15km down the road.

And I never said Rathcoole drops 10k, I said City West probably drops 10k. And if a set of traffic lights was a "nightmare long before" another set of lights, does this not indicate there was a need to allow very long right turn times? To, oh, maybe let people in to the vast industrial estates at Rathcoole? Which have only been expanding, even recently.

If traffic "doesn't drop at all" at NX why the need for a junction at all? This is about your most idiotic statement to date. Theres >20,000 PCUs on that section of the Belgard Road. Where are they coming from? Where are they going to?

If traffic is equal either side of the junction, all it means is as many vehicles joined as left anyway. These vehicles will not cross the bridge

Maybe, maybe, just for once you could accept your fantasies are unrealistic.

Wrong east facing slips are busier at Citywest, Rathcoole. NX. The ORR has busier West facing slips (to avoid the NX bottleneck and go up the N4 to Dublin and all the business parks up that road.

Rathcoole traffic jumps extensiviely at the interchange there towards Dublin. Since Saggart, Rathcoole and Newcastle join the N7. The N7 here used to be a lane gane and the 3 laner used to end at Rathcoole. Simply because traffic grew at this point.

Wrong east facing slips are busier at Citywest, Rathcoole. NX. The ORR has busier West facing slips (to avoid the NX bottleneck and go up the N4 to Dublin and all the business parks up that road.

Traffic counts to prove same, please.

Oh wait, not only do you not have any, you won't find any to support your assertion.

Also, do you not see how its completely irrelevant if these create further Dublin bound traffic? They're opposite flows. Their peak flows are at opposite times. They do not add any further to peak time congestion on a given flow! And the use of any slip at NX is irrelevant as goes traffic *crossing the bridge* and just further shows that there is a huge amount of traffic that will not be crossing the bridge.

Traffic counts to prove same, please.

Oh wait, not only do you not have any, you won't find any to support your assertion.

Also, do you not see how its completely irrelevant if these create further Dublin bound traffic? They're opposite flows. Their peak flows are at opposite times. They do not add any further to peak time congestion on a given flow! And the use of any slip at NX is irrelevant as goes traffic *crossing the bridge* and just further shows that there is a huge amount of traffic that will not be crossing the bridge.

You don't understand traffic flows as far as I can see.

When I say east facing (Dublin side) It means traffic going east of coming from the east to and from the interchange.

When I say the west facing (Limerick side) It means traffic to and from Rathcoole will go west towards Limerick.

The fact is, Every interchange bar ORR has higher eastern direction flows. It's precisely why Kill is a bigger bottleneck than, Johnstown etc.

It's just your not understanding the basics.

The N7 is also a destination from the South and west of the country to Dublin, not NX. So 99percent of the traffic will continue on the N7, so will most of the Commuting traffic. Traffic doesnt back up that much for turning right of the NX from the Limerick direction at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Quadra

Guys,

An unbiased observation: this thread is disintegrating already.

Debate is good, differences in opinion are also good, but please don't cause the thread to be shut down.

It's potentially one of the best sources of info on key road scheme progress.

You don't understand traffic flows as far as I can see.

It's just your not understanding the basics.

No. These apply to you, not me. Across tens of threads on different schemes you've invented traffic counts, insisted junctions need to be built for small villages and the like.

Go learn how capacity of a road is calculated. Pay particular attention to how the AADT figure for capacity of a road is significantly higher if it has opposing traffic flows rather than one single major tidal flow. Pay very close attention to how the capacity figure for a road is calculated in general as it appears you definitely don't understand this.

Also go read the EIS for this scheme, and remember that the traffic counts in it are hard facts, not fantasies. The figure the NRA provide for traffic going through Newlands X on the N7 is the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Setanta_og wrote: »
    Have to say that the Newlands Cross Underpass/Overpass is one of the schemes recession or not that should be preceded with passing down that way last week at rush hour??? I was quite amazed at the back up of traffic as far south as St John’s Rd. What a pain for motorist who have enjoyed such a great drive from Waterford or Cork to the Capital to find this holdup before getting onto the superb M50. This project as the last part of the IU jigsaw must be a priority.

Totally agree with this. This should be put top of the priority list.

In fact it should have been done as part of the M50 upgrade. Its crazy (and yet typical) to think that they spent the best part of two years removing the Red Cow roundabout so that outbound traffic could just pile up a mile down the road at Newlands Cross.
    I've come off the M50 here a couple of times at around 4 in the afternoon and traffic is already almost backed up to the motorway. God only knows what it must be like an hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Quadra wrote: »
    Guys,

An unbiased observation: this thread is disintegrating already.

Debate is good, differences in opinion are also good, but please don't cause the thread to be shut down.

It's potentially one of the best sources of info on key road scheme progress.

I won't shut this thread down, provided we stay on the side of debate, as it has done so far, and doesn't turn into mud-slinging like the last N11 thread did.

Mysterious, your observations are duly noted, and I agree that at least provision should be made for 4x4. However, if the traffic counts are stating otherwise, then that is simply that. There are arguments for making the bridge 4x4, but ignoring official figures isn't a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Kill has higher traffic volumes than Johnstown. Rathcoole and Saggart has higher volumes than Kill, Newlands cross has higher traffic than the rest. Red cow has even more. I pass this road regulary. And traffic does not drop at all at Newlands cross.
    Can't believe you're still at this carry on. N7 northbound at Newlands has one left turn lane and 2 right turn lanes with 3 straight ahead lanes. The 2 right turn lanes are very long and are heavily used by traffic getting into Tallaght, although presumably this figure is down since the ORR southern extension opened a couple of years ago. Lots of traffic also leaves at Citywest.

You are just guessing traffic figures Mysterious. I used to drive Newcastle-Tallaght everyday for a couple of years. I was not alone in leaving the N7 at or before Newlands to reach Tallaght. What is your day to day experience of the road at this point? Are you a daily commuter on it like I was? You have a traffic counter in the next county and are working all your made up figures from that.

murphaph wrote: »
    Can't believe you're still at this carry on. N7 northbound at Newlands has one left turn lane and 2 right turn lanes with 3 straight ahead lanes. The 2 right turn lanes are very long and are heavily used by traffic getting into Tallaght, although presumably this figure is down since the ORR southern extension opened a couple of years ago. Lots of traffic also leaves at Citywest.

You are just guessing traffic figures Mysterious. I used to drive Newcastle-Tallaght everyday for a couple of years. I was not alone in leaving the N7 at or before Newlands to reach Tallaght. What is your day to day experience of the road at this point? Are you a daily commuter on it like I was? You have a traffic counter in the next county and are working all your made up figures from that.

LOL.

Dude, there are traffic counters all along the N7 and the fact is, the N7 traffic rises all the time as it gets closer to Dublin, since all the population centres are dormitory towns to Dublin city. I agree traffic turns right at Newlands it's called a cross type junction.

The majority of N7 goes straight ahead. The right turn may take a few thousand a day fair enough. But traffic is still at 3x3 capacity.

I agree with Bluntguy on his stance. It's logical to assume that it would be money well spent leaving room for 4 lanes. Since the interurbans are finishing up and newlands cross is grade separated, I can garentee (and most will agree) Traffic will condense along this old bottleneck section of N7. The fact that its this close to the Redcow and M50. It's common sense to allow 4 lanes each way from Citywest to the Redcow. It is the busiest section of N7 and has always been.

No. These apply to you, not me. Across tens of threads on different schemes you've invented traffic counts, insisted junctions need to be built for small villages and the like.

Go learn how capacity of a road is calculated. Pay particular attention to how the AADT figure for capacity of a road is significantly higher if it has opposing traffic flows rather than one single major tidal flow. Pay very close attention to how the capacity figure for a road is calculated in general as it appears you definitely don't understand this.

Also go read the EIS for this scheme, and remember that the traffic counts in it are hard facts, not fantasies. The figure the NRA provide for traffic going through Newlands X on the N7 is the truth.

What about the thousands that do rat runs to avoid the junction?

Same happened with the M50 and the N4 Newcastle junction. The N4 junction has lower traffic than Newlands (or did) has a wider bridge span than the new NX proposed junction. It has an embankemnt room one side and also has full H.shoulders. As soon as these roads were upgraded the traffic jumped considerably.

Why because tailbacks occured here. The M50 at peak times, actually dwindled 20percent over a 2 year priod prior to the M50 upgrade while some sections remained static. Why because tailbacks occured at the road. This is whats happening at the Newlands cross. Tailbacks go all the way back to the M50 and Rathcoole both ways at peak times. A lot of traffic goes down the N81, N4 and ORR to avoid the N7. So I pay attention to alot more things than just an old EIS from the NRA. Lets be realistic the NRA are not very good at planning roads ahead.

I pay close attention to things you wouldn't be even able to comprehend.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I won't shut this thread down, provided we stay on the side of debate, as it has done so far, and doesn't turn into mud-slinging like the last N11 thread did.

Mysterious, your observations are duly noted, and I agree that at least provision should be made for 4x4. However, if the traffic counts are stating otherwise, then that is simply that. There are arguments for making the bridge 4x4, but ignoring official figures isn't a good place to start.

Thats what I'm trying to express, and while I've made my points I'm taking other aspects into consideration and not just soley relying on one source on this topic. I think people should understand this section of road is the busiest road after the M50. I'm aware traffic has dwindled at NX because it's a horrible bottleneck. But the fact is its well over 3x3 capacity. I think on future road openings and traffic growth along this road, its just common sense to either build 4x4 or give alot more room for expansion in the "future".

Traffic will surpass the NRA traffic predictions on the EIS, because the NRA do not take into account that NX is severly congested. Congested roads don't attract traffic or have full capacity flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think the real deal here is that the bridge should be 3x3 for now (as making it 4x4 going into 3x3 at the end of the bridge would be silly), but build it as 4x4 for futureproofing and just hatch off a lane for now.

Jayuu wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. This should be put top of the priority list.

In fact it should have been done as part of the M50 upgrade. Its crazy (and yet typical) to think that they spent the best part of two years removing the Red Cow roundabout so that outbound traffic could just pile up a mile down the road at Newlands Cross.
    I've come off the M50 here a couple of times at around 4 in the afternoon and traffic is already almost backed up to the motorway. God only knows what it must be like an hour later.

It should be 4 lanes each way the whole way down off the M50 and through the junction till Citywest.

The distrubuter road from ORR to NX should then connect at the NX grade separate junction and then proceed on the southern quadrant of the N7 and join the luas P + R and free up the road from local traffic and dangerous weaving movements that exist onto the N7.This will mean a safer proper DC connecting the South and west properly to the M50 with a 100kmh speed limit.

Last friday traffic backed all the way up the Westbound slips off the M50 (coming from the north) onto the Redcow all the way to Newlands cross. That was 3 o clock. It's worse than the old redcow if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

LOL.

Dude, there are traffic counters all along the N7 and the fact is, the N7 traffic rises all the time as it gets closer to Dublin, since all the population centres are dormitory towns to Dublin city. I agree traffic turns right at Newlands it's called a cross type junction.

The majority of N7 goes straight ahead. The right turn may take a few thousand a day fair enough. But traffic is still at 3x3 capacity.

I agree with Bluntguy on his stance. It's logical to assume that it would be money well spent leaving room for 4 lanes. Since the interurbans are finishing up and newlands cross is grade separated, I can garentee (and most will agree) Traffic will condense along this old bottleneck section of N7. The fact that its this close to the Redcow and M50. It's common sense to allow 4 lanes each way from Citywest to the Redcow. It is the busiest section of N7 and has always been.
    You didn't answer my question.

Do you commute on this road on a daily basis? How many times per year do you use NX and are you using it at peak times, in both directions?

Fair questions because you are extrapolating data which YOU DO NOT HAVE! The N7 corridor is entirely different to the M4 as it passes predominantly housing on it's approaches to the M50. The N7 passes little housing and lots of employment centres on its approach to the M50 though, taking cars OFF the N7 inbound at peak times, before or at NX! I witnessed this process for 2 years, 5 days a week. So what is your practical experience of NX Dude?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question.

Do you commute on this road on a daily basis? How many times per year do you use NX and are you using it at peak times, in both directions?

Fair questions because you are extrapolating data which YOU DO NOT HAVE! The N7 corridor is entirely different to the M4 as it passes predominantly housing on it's approaches to the M50. The N7 passes little housing and lots of employment centres on its approach to the M50 though, taking cars OFF the N7 inbound at peak times, before or at NX! I witnessed this process for 2 years, 5 days a week. So what is your practical experience of NX Dude?

I use the N7 2-4 times a week. I lived in Tipperary also, so I was kinda bred on the N7..

But i've looked at all the facts, opinions, results of the NRA and what not and used my brain to see the best way forward for the NX junction.

You are just worshipping the EIS and only that. I've already explained aspects of this road and traffic the EIS has not done so previously.

Employment and Residential areas both attract traffic. The N7 is a nationaly primary route dude. It has a large residental catchement along the N7 and since the Naas road upgrade, Rathcoole, Saggart, Newcastle, Naas, Salins, Kill and Johnstown has all seen massive population growth. Saggart recently has built a few hundred houses adjacent to the N7.

Your argument is negible. Simply because you want to try twist your opinions to your way of thinking that this road doesn't deserve future proofing. If there are large business parks on this road it wil too attract traffic from Dublin city out to Citywest. Since you've mentioned that, traffic will still increase on the N7 no matter what way you look at it.

Advertisement