Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick-Waterford train (split)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Slice wrote: »
    You're right, I totally miss your point

My point is that the service has improved on the route with each timetable change since 2004, and is not "poxy". There has never been 4 trains per day on the route before 2008. It cannot get any better (no matter how much we may all want it) until the new rolling stock arrives that will release other stock to facilitate commuter services and the speed restrictions on the route lifted.

MYOB wrote: »
    I thought there were plans to keep all the Mk 3 stock for "emergencies", but yes, a mid-life refurb now would keep them going in to the 2020s if we're lucky, they're still good my modern safety and comfort standards too. How many DVT's do IE have for them?

There is the general weakness of the 201 in head end power operation to be concerend about. Well, more the flame bit...
    IÉ have five DVTs, 6101-6105. But their generator can only provide half the power of those in the Mk3 guards vans. Hence why the push pull sets have no air conditioning except for one snack car coach. They're also limited to 70mph because I think one of them has bogies from an 8100 DART which aren't designed for high speed work.

Flames? I'm guessing you're referring to 206. That loco is lucky to even be running again. Badly damaged by fire in 2003 while on Enterprise duty. All because of head end power.
    Hamndegger wrote: »
    The Waterford-Dungarvan-Mallow line has been closed over 40 years and was never a busy line for passengers. The last time a train went into New Ross was in the mid 90's; it's passenger services have also been withdrawn since the mid 60's. What amount of people are commuting to and from Waterford daily, do you know?
    I think the last train was a weedsprayer in 1995 hauled by 121, the weeds caught fire, engulfed the loco and it never ran again!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Karsini wrote: »
    They're also limited to 70mph because I think one of them has bogies from an 8100 DART which aren't designed for high speed work.

I'd forgotten about that - I'd be concerned that any attempt to buy in s/hand ex-BR DVTs would lead to Irish Rail remembering they have 4 fire damaged 8100's sitting around and deciding to donate those bogies again...

Advertisement