Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New DART logo

• 02-08-2013 7:10pm

8629/8529/8530/8630 is now sporting the new DART logo, taken from Fairview depot this afternoon.

Click for full size:
    72Vi8j_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Aw. It looks a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Its Dart 30 next year so Dart 25 is a bit long in the tooth.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

More pointless rebranding by a company that shouldn't be wasting tax and fare payers' money on such things and should concentrate on improving the service in real terms. The same German S-Bahn logo has been used continuously for 83 years now. It is immediately recognisable to any German, wherever you may be in Germany. It's as if in Ireland we try to paper over the cracks in the service (often due to fundamentally missing infrastructure and joined up thinking) by rolling out a *new* *shiny* livery every 5 or 10 years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That looks like they let a five year old loose on MS paint.

I really don't like it myself. It looks inspired by (or ripped off from) the old British Rail logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I wonder how much was paid for the new design. Needlessly.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

business-latest.jpg

I think the original logo (right) was perfectly fine. Simple and effective. They haven't improved on it.

Why they feel the need to standardise logos across services I'm not really sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Its Dart 30 next year so Dart 25 is a bit long in the tooth.......

Yup, the fact that they are still carrying the 25th anniversary logo now is a bit ridiculous.

Worth noting as well with the new logo, the Commuter and InterCity brands appear to have been completely axed. The new Dublin suburban rail map refers to what was previously Commuter as "Local Rail Services".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Don't know why they bother with constant rebranding.

The LT/Underground roundel has been around with donkeys years with minimal alteration and still looks fresh. Plus I can't think of any other rail transport logo that's internationally recognised and has what amounts to a bit of a cult following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    That looks like they let a five year old loose on MS paint.

Almost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

The livery and the printed timetables appear to have the logo in different typefaces.

jrmb wrote: »
    The livery and the printed timetables appear to have the logo in different typefaces.
    IE Goon: "What's a typeface"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

murphaph wrote: »
    IE Goon: "What's a typeface"?

font

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

icdg wrote: »
    Worth noting as well with the new logo, the Commuter and InterCity brands appear to have been completely axed. The new Dublin suburban rail map refers to what was previously Commuter as "Local Rail Services".

That isn't surprising, since the number of commuter trains on commuter lines is declining almost on a weekly basis and being replaced by ICR's that are not suitable for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

devnull wrote: »
    That isn't surprising, since the number of commuter trains on commuter lines is declining almost on a weekly basis and being replaced by ICR's that are not suitable for commuting.

This is simply not true.

The numbers of commuter trains operating commuter services has not changed since July 2012.

The Dublin commuter operation is operated by the same number of 29k units as at that time, i.e the entire fleet, supplemented by a number of ICR sets that also operate to Sligo/Rosslare.

Drogheda has one six car (2 x 3 piece) ICR set operating on it throughout the day.

As I said in the other thread, what happened on Maynooth sounded like there was a failure somewhere and the ICRs were drafted in instead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Well that is how it feels anyway - It's only a few times a month I take the train on the line to connect with travel elsewhere, and I'ce certainly seen more around lately, but yesterday just took the biscuit since it was the least appropriate time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

lxflyer wrote: »
    This is simply not true.

The numbers of commuter trains operating commuter services has not changed since July 2012.

The Dublin commuter operation is operated by the same number of 29k units as at that time, i.e the entire fleet, supplemented by a number of ICR sets that also operate to Sligo/Rosslare.
    This my be the case, but surely the supplementation of those 29000 sets by ICRs wouldn't be as necessary if there weren't 29000 sets regularly being used to operate intercity services to at least Rosslare. Can anyone explain why so mant M3 Parkway services seem to be inappropriately used ICRs when there are also inappropriately used 29k sets they could be swapped with?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

If they want a new logo, I think they should bring back the 'Flying Snail'

I agree. It's a timeless and recognisable emblem, rather than a logo that needs regular tweaking.

I know it's not a real emergency but the constant tweaking of Iarnród's brand has left stations plastered with inconsistent signage & logos.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

jrmb wrote: »
    I agree. It's a timeless and recognisable emblem, rather than a logo that needs regular tweaking.

I know it's not a real emergency but the constant tweaking of Iarnród's brand has left stations plastered with inconsistent signage & logos.

Its not even just brand tinkering - every single upgrade project they do seems to result in different signage standards. They just can't seem to stay consistent.

There's even the mad example within the one station of Pearse having the old IE and DART logos on the Westland Row side and the new flag logo on the Pearse Street side. Did I mention Hansfield opening after the rebrand with the old IE logo!

• Advertisement

They should have just stuck with the 1987 logo because it was a logo that was really suited to a railway operator.

Karsini wrote: »
    They should have just stuck with the 1987 logo because it was a logo that was really suited to a railway operator.
    It was pretty good but it was the victim of mindless idiots who daubed an "A" to the right hand side to make "IRA". Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just saw the new DART logo on the cab end of 8640 this evening in Fairview depot and it just looks awful. Like someone just got a black marker and wrote DART on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was actually on one of the EMU's this morning with it's new DART logos printed on them. It was going from Dun Laoghaire to Connolly Station.

I think it had 8630 on the end of the 1st set. It was a 8 carriage train.

Half of the train had two different logos on it; the new one & the DART25 logo. Most of the first set had the new logo apart from the driver's cab on the 1st carriage. The other half of it had the previous logo on the whole set.

I have seen at least two 4 Toyko car sets with their new logo applied. I had noticed them while going between Sydney Parade & Blackrock just before 5pm yesterday evening.

The new logo on the driver's cab of the EMU's were only coloured black. It looks too dark, dull & boring as a logo. It should have some background colour to make it look neat & tidy but IE don't seem to care about the effort. They just stick a dark logo just because it costs less money or it's probably just laziness on their part.

Unit 8602 (with it's semi round roof) now has it's new logo's applied while I boarded it at Seapoint this morning.

Unit 8602 (with it's semi round roof) now has it's new logo's applied while I boarded it at Seapoint this morning.

Got it this evening on my way home from work. Took a good look but the all back logo on the cab really does not look right.

Just to update you on the new DART logo being applied to the fleet.

There were two DART trains going in and out at Sandymount Station by around 10am this morning. One was a six-carriage train to Bray with four of their carriages on the back having the new logo. One of the units that I can remember is 8135+8335. The DART25 logo being at the first two carriages as per usual.

The other being a two-carriage train (8137+8337) going to Howth with the same look.

It's mad they are still carrying the DART25 logo even though they are now over 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

yes the DART logo and colour scheme is naff.
    I always thought the colour scheme should be Navy and Light blue!
    -
    rather than money spent on new logos i would rather cleaner carriages, and better facilities in train stations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Don't know why they bother with constant rebranding.

The LT/Underground roundel has been around with donkeys years with minimal alteration and still looks fresh. Plus I can't think of any other rail transport logo that's internationally recognised and has what amounts to a bit of a cult following.
    Rebranding gives them an excuse to spend money that ought to have otherwise been spent on actual service improvements.

Advertisement