Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Player - New Question

• 29-08-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Am looking for a bit of advice. Plan to set up
    an account and start playing this weekend.

Been watching a lot of WOT videos on YT
    by this guy http://youtu.be/SPTdWcYqxdk
    and then reading up on aspects of the game
    I'm still unfamiliar with.

I've just heard WOT is to add the Chieftain to
    the British tank line and if I like the game in
    general, I'd really like to work towards getting
    this tank. I don't mind paying for a premium
    account, if I really get into the game or buying
    bits and pieces along the way to move as fast
    through the tiers, as my skills will allow. I'm not
    in any particular rush. I just don't have lots of
    discretionary time to grind away for ever.

My question is: What strategy would you suggest
    I try overall, to achieve my goal of playing the Chieftain,
    using what cash or other resources along the way.

I haven't quite grasped all the detail of income versus
    expenditure in the game yet, but I probably don't want
    to rely on premium ammo. I'm not a kid and I understand
    basic tactics for playing a solo game, or teaming up and
    using different types of tanks. I've been abroad for a few months,
    since I got interested in the game and only had intermittent
    and weak internet, so was unable to start playing.
    Now back in Dublin.

TIA!
    Max :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Chieftain is being added, and it's the production mk2. It's replacing the FV215b, which is the current British tier 10 heavy.

If you check the British tech tree, you'll see the FV215b in it's current position on the centre right:

https://worldoftanks.eu/dcont/fb/media/static/wot_tech_trees_british_tanks_eu.jpg

So you'll start on the Vickers medium mk1, as every one must, and have a choice of two variant paths, which end at the Matilda and Valentine respectively, before merging at the Churchill mk1. I'd say the Matilda is more forgiving than the Valentine personally.

Once at the Churchill, the British heavy line assumes its general character of being slow, well armoured, and with rapid firing, decent penetration guns, with slightly low damage.

But you'll need to learn the core gameplay to get anywhere. That means understanding concepts such as the need to angle armour, how the spotting works and how not to expose yourself, etc etc.

And equally from that, don't rush to buy a higher tier premium tank early on. You'll just be a liability to yourself and your team, and that won't benefit anyone.

But before even that you'll need an account. I'll send you an invite code to use during that process. It'll get you 1500 gold, a week or premium, and an American T2 light premium tank.

Based on the noises coming out of WG, the Chieftain may not be added until into the start of 2015. The British tier 10 medium, FV4202 is also getting replaced, and that will happen before the Chieftain appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

it takes a long time to get a tier 10 max, especially if your only playing one tank line. the tier 10 tanks cost 6.1 million credits normally, can take quite a while to build that up as your buying every tank to tier 9 before unlocking the tier 10. u die in first minute of a 15 minute battle, you have to wait till that battle ends to get your tank back.

thats why most people play multiple tank lines. for starting off, playing two tank lines from one nation makes sense as they share guns and engines, so starting the british heavy line and the british medium line at same time makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

In relation to your nation choice I'd personally say don't do it :P I find the British tanks a real grind and imo I think they're better left till you're more comfortable with the game otherwise you'll be toddling around in slow tanks with guns that feel like they fire tennis balls and not understanding why you're just getting pwned all the time.

IMO the 3 initial nations German, Russian and US offer a much better starting point in the game. Once you've gotten a few tier7+ tanks under your belt on any of those lines then you might think about the others although I'd STILL argue to branch out to whichever of the 2 you didn't go with initially. Leave the French, Brit, Chinese and Jap tanks till the end as they all tend to be a bit weird.

In relation to game mechanics. DO look up videos on how to: Angle your tank and how to sidescrape. Penetration mechanics/tank weakspots and finally camo/spotting. Get those 3 aspects sorted out and you'll be well on your way to being a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

First bit of advice....

Make sure you use an invite code ....

These ones give you 2 free premium tanks (low tier)... a premium account for 7 days and 2.5K gold ... that you can use to buy some more premium tanks

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/08/29/invite-codes-57/

I have been playing for nearly 2 years ( not constantly ... i go and come back) and my highest tank is tier 8.... I have though tanks for every nation and every class... 22 in total.... so I think it is better at the start to not try to go straight up one tech tree.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've already sent on an invite code by PM for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Thanks for all the advice and invites guys. I may not get to set up an account this weekend, but I want to get started playing sooner rather than later.

Regarding which nations to play and how to advance through the tiers, your advice makes a lot of sense, based on what I've learned in the vids I've watched. I'm playing for fun more than anything else and doing what you've suggested sounds like a way to have lots of laughs, at the same time as developing skills and eventually making progress to higher tiers.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on with the codes you sent and progress in general.

Max :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I would second the above thoughts. Play all the starting tanks and get the feel for the game. Maybe progress some up to Tier 3-4 before you need to worry about narrowing down your grind. You will figure out do you prefer scouting, fast flanking, brawling or sniping.

I started playing about 8-10 months ago. I was aiming at the Hellcat as my personal goal. I was very chuffed when I finally got there and really liked the tank. I also like playing the M8a1 and T49 which led to the Hellcat so it didn't feel like a 'grind'. At this point I am mostly working on multiple German tank lines and hoping to unlock Tiger, Tiger (P) and Panther very soon.

As above I didn't focus on 1-2 tanks lines. I spread myself across the US and German lines mostly. But also worked a little on the British and Soviets too. So now I am up to Tier 6,7,8 in German and US, while my British and Soviet tanks lag a little behind at Tier 5-6.

Wouldn't worry too much about premium ammo and credit/expenditure just yet. Just remember that every shot costs credits, every bit of damage inflicted generates credits. So being on target rewards you more than wild shooting.

Good tanks to aim for initially in my opinion would be T18, M2 Medium, Pz. III, Pz.I.C, Pz 38t, Matilda and Cruiser III. (I still have my T18 and Pz.IC as I use them as fun tanks and stress relievers)

As regards Premium tanks...don't bother until you spend some time playing. Then you will know the style that suits you and where you plan to progress with certain tank lines. Premium tanks are no better than other but do earn more credits and crew XP. So they are great to get more XP for your crews on your 'normal' tanks. Simple tactic early on is to recruit 75% skill crews for all your tanks, costs more credits but worth it, 100% cost actual money.

Premium account helps a lot but I dont always have. Most days I only get 4-5 games in so I just play a tank till I get a win then try another, first win per day in each tank gives double XP. I don't have a regular schedule so I often spend a Euro to get 1 day if I know I will get a solid 4-6 hours gaming in. I bought myself a month recently as I have had good opportunities to play a lot over the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Faust7891

Hey guys.

First of all, sry for my english. Its poor, i know.

Like u can see, im new here, but i hope that u guys can help me a bit ^^

I had little accident some time ago, and ill have some free time, so i looked for game to play. My first chooise was WT: GF, but after 2 days i can say that this game is not for me, so i want try WoT. I saw some videos from tank academy + some random YT videos and i think that ill like this game, especially SPG and TDS (yes, i heard that SPG was nerfed some time ago, but i dont know how its worked before, so its not a problem ^^). Many players said that USSR heavy line (kv-1s - IS) is good chooise for new player, but i prefer to play from back, so i dont think that heavy tank will be best for me. So my first question is, which line of TDs and SPGs should i try.

Many players complain about credits earning. Its looks like without premium account, its hard grind to earn credits and XP for tanks, modules etc. Do i rly need to have premium account to avoid grind on tanks that ill not like? 50% seems to be a lot, but if ill earn 10k credits and tanks cost few milions, then that 50% its not so much.

Next thing r mods. I saw a lot of single mods and whole packs. What should i look, when ill want to use mods? I saw mods for almost everything. Reticles, sounds mods, mini-map mods. Without any experience with game, its hard to find what is usefull. One thing i think that can be usefull, r mods for weakspots, but i dont know if they r legal.

And last question for now. Anyone can tell me where i should look for invitation code? Alienware and rezer r out of codes, codes from FTR r used. I tried looking on official WoT forum, but i didint get any anwser about that.

Tia.

There are mediums and heavies that are are more suitable for fighting from a distance, so you shouldn't be too quick to limit your options to just TDs and SPGs.

In terms of the TD lines, they all have their own flavour.

The German Jagd (JagdPanzer IV, JagdPanther, Ferdi, JagdTiger) line seems a bit more forgiving for a beginner to me, as it has accurate guns and decent armour. The British line of TDs also has good armour, but somewhat inconsistent guns, and very slow moving.

Meds look need more flanking as far i can see, so maybe later, when ill know maps.

Ok, ill read a little about that line and ill watch some videos. What about that mods with weakspots? its looks like little cheat for me, but i can find any forbiden mod list for EU server.

• Advertisement

Certain mods are banned. Ones that show internal structures such as ammo racks aren't allowed and you'll lose your account for that. They're a little vague on the EU server about which exact ones, but ones like that are definite at least.

Meds can give some of the more entertaining and satisfying gameplay at later tiers, since they tend to have good guns, often with very high penetration.

Check the videos of Mr Falkers for examples of that:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFalkers

I didint saw his videos yet, thx for link ^^

Ok, i think ill play without mods for now. Ill try get some more info about mods from WG staff on offcial forum.

This German Jags TDs look pretty good, but they r huge :D

The Ferdi has 200mm of frontal armour, the Jagdtiger has 250mm. That size does at least consist of solid metal.

Yeah, ok. Thx for tips. Ill come back later with more questions :D

Faust7891 wrote: »
    I didint saw his videos yet, thx for link ^^

Ok, i think ill play without mods for now. Ill try get some more info about mods from WG staff on offcial forum.

I would think you are better playing without mods at first. get to know the game first. I only started useing one about 3 months ago.

I use Quckybaby's XVM mod pack(as I'm lazy) he release's a new version after each patch.
    You can create your own customised mod at xvm.com. I am not great at techy issues so I just use the pre-made one.
    The major point for me is the range indicator on the mini-map and the notation of last spotted location of enemy tanks. Winrate % and enemy stats are usefull but no neccesary.

Ill see when ill start play ^^ For now i still looking for some more info about game and invitation code :p

Atm im reading about SPGs and i cannot decide which nation should i take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I use xvm for the minimap changes and j1mbos reticle mod only because I hate the default one.

Yeah, ill use XVM for sure.

Ill go in french SPG, german TDs and maybe USSR HT lines for now.

Anyway, i spend half day in net looking for invitation code and i cant find anything. I should brake my leg month ago when alienware and razer had codes :D

Oh, and that Warpack things seems kinda OP, lol. How in the hell ppl can play with that.. This killing whole fun from game imo.

Anyway, i spend half day in net looking for invitation code and i cant find anything. I should brake my leg month ago when alienware and razer had codes :D

I had one but gave it to a mate 2 months ago. Anyone else?

I just stoped watching some videos with Exnom i Kazna. That guys r pretty good ^^

• Advertisement

Hi again ^^

That MrFalkers videos r good and fuuny but pretty long :D i hope he will make more vids soon. Now im watching videos made by NewMulti2k from Panda Squad ^^

Ill post later my game nick, so maybe we will meet in game someday, but first ill try to get that invitatin code last time. With my luck ill dont get it, yesterday i tried on reddit. Unfortunatlly 2 other persons ask for codes before me, and they called me bot farmer -.-

.....yesterday i tried on reddit. Unfortunatlly 2 other persons ask for codes before me, and they called me bot farmer -.-
    Welcome to World of Tanks.

Look that posts above and perhaps PM the posters?

Nah, i dont like to bother others with things like that on PMs. Im only want that code, cause with next weekend pomotion it will give me 3 weeks of free premium, but i can play without it too ^^ Anyway, i still want to look at some tanks videos before i start play, so maybe ill find any codes on net ^^

Well, I can slightly cheat and get one by using an Alienware link, that needs three people to click on it. It's borderline referral spam, but since I'm not going to benefit from it:

Edit: scratch that.

Too bad that its fake :p

Too bad that its fake :p

As I've just found out. Oh well, the intention was good.

Yeah, i saw that links few times already, but like always, when i see things like that, i checked it on VM + hidemyass :D

Thanks anyway ^^

Ok, i finally got invitation code, thx to player from Polish community ^^ My nick is Revenge0fTheN3rd, so maybe we will meet on battlefield ^^

Ill back here for sure with some more questions soon ;)

And there you are:

http://worldoftanks.eu/community/accounts/522059791-Revenge0fTheN3rd/

Feel free to ask, but tiers 1 and 2 can be both hectic and misleading. Gameplay and tanks don't start to find their character until tier 3 onwards often.

• Advertisement

And after my first battle my stats look amazing xD

Efficiency/WN8: 222 (0) 288 (15)

Advertisement