Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone come from JobBridge?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

Have any software devs here come through a JobBridge internship and got a job afterwards?

I'm in a catch 22 position where I am working in an unrelated industry but studying an IT degree part time. I would love to move into software development as a career. However, without experience, I cannot even get interviews for jobs. I am taking serious consideration to leaving my job, and applying for a software development internship or software testing if I cant get that.

Hell, I have even been applying for entry level IT helpdesk roles just to get a foot in the industry with no luck. But if I can go straight to an internship in development I would be delighted. I've heard the horror stories about JobBridge but also a lot of good stories here on boards, some people getting really good IT internships then offered a job in the end. Luckily, I have no debts or dependants so finances won't be an issue.

Is this a worthwhile idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Elessar wrote: »
    Have any software devs here come through a JobBridge internship and got a job afterwards?

I'm in a catch 22 position where I am working in an unrelated industry but studying an IT degree part time. I would love to move into software development as a career. However, without experience, I cannot even get interviews for jobs. I am taking serious consideration to leaving my job, and applying for a software development internship or software testing if I cant get that.

Hell, I have even been applying for entry level IT helpdesk roles just to get a foot in the industry with no luck. But if I can go straight to an internship in development I would be delighted. I've heard the horror stories about JobBridge but also a lot of good stories here on boards, some people getting really good IT internships then offered a job in the end. Luckily, I have no debts or dependants so finances won't be an issue.

Is this a worthwhile idea?

It wasn't a Jobsbridge scheme, but I did do a 6 month unpaid internship in a company which definitely played a big part in getting me my first job. I worked through the summer and during my flexible semester in college.

I would say it would be worth doing, provided you are developing software and not relegated to other tasks. Just spend some time establishing what the company does, what you would be doing, and how it would factor into your career before accepting.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

If I was you I would learn WordPress and Joomla online (YouTube) and build a few portfolio sites just to show what you can do. You also will need HTML and CSS . PHP and Javascript wouldn't hurt either. Like all IT you need to be constantly learning and updating your skills. I am on Job Bridge and expect to be taken on full time the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

If I was you I would learn WordPress and Joomla online (YouTube) and build a few portfolio sites just to show what you can do. You also will need HTML and CSS . PHP and Javascript wouldn't hurt either. Like all IT you need to be constantly learning and updating your skills. I am on Job Bridge and expect to be taken on full time the end of August.

Yes, but OP said software development, not web design. Learning how to use a CMS is not going to help you get a job as a software developer, although it might pay the bills if you want to make a few websites for small businesses in the meantime.

I would also avoid helpdesk/support roles if you want to get into development.

Advertisement