Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Thunder first tank gameplay

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I never played arcade, only realistic. I still found it much easier to get kills in the Russian aircraft. I couldn't kill anything in the Bf 109 for whatever reason.

The Germans have more of a feel than other nations. When you find one you like you will keep coming back to it. It also depends what you are flying against. For me the Japanese seem to be put in with higher tiers so I usually have a hard time with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I never played arcade, only realistic. I still found it much easier to get kills in the Russian aircraft. I couldn't kill anything in the Bf 109 for whatever reason.

109s are tricky but once you get the hang of them very rewarding (5 if my top 10 planes are 109s) they are not boom and zoomers like the Russians and Americans and not great turners either like the Brits and japs just pure energy planes they climb like mountain goats especially when you run just the nose cannon in the later models. The trick is to climb high fast keeping your speed above 270km at almost all the time while climbing and around 400 when diving. Then shallow dive enemy planes, pull up hard stall roll and hammerhead them as they struggle to chase you. Which is sort of the trick with 109s for most of the game as long as you keep high and keep the speed up most enemy planes will struggle to catch you, only the yaks come close. So patience and watching enemy from above waiting for him to burn his altitude or speed on something else before striking is the key.

British and Americans will always struggle to chase the 109s in mid tier (the griffon spit and bearcat change this) the only issue are American bombers can be a massive pain and the Russian I-185 and la5 can if left alone to climb and climb will become a massive pain in your arse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Maybe you've nailed my problem, I don't know how to energy fight. If I can't turn fight or boom and zoom I'm all out of ideas.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    British and Americans will always struggle to chase the 109s in mid tier (the griffon spit and bearcat change this) the only issue are American bombers can be a massive pain and the Russian I-185 and la5 can if left alone to climb and climb will become a massive pain in your arse

It's funny you should say this because these in particular were guaranteed to kill me every time in the Bf 109. Most other things I could kill from time to time, or escape from, but once these engaged me I was toast. La-5 in particular seemed to always be faster than me, out climb me, and out maneuver me. I'd be on the cusp of rage quitting.

Maybe you've nailed my problem, I don't know how to energy fight. If I can't turn fight or boom and zoom I'm all out of ideas.

It's funny you should say this because these in particular were guaranteed to kill me every time in the Bf 109. Most other things I could kill from time to time, or escape from, but once these engaged me I was toast. La-5 in particular seemed to always be faster than me, out climb me, and out maneuver me. I'd be on the cusp of rage quitting.

Ahh la5 rage, I know it well, truthfully they pissed me off too a lot, until I actually flew them myself and felt how they handled, best thing to do is get a feel for each plane if you are struggling against them, once you know how they handle you find it easier to kill them

La la's of doom if I remember handle a lot like the fw 190, they roll very nicely and have 3 really annoying shvaks in the nose, but they are not great at diving if I remember correctly the 109 can be pushed just a bit further then them in a dive which can give you a small bit of breathing room, they're also nose heavy I think, they climb well in the opening if a game at a casual 15-20 degree but they are not the best of getting the nose up quickly try vertical yo yo and see if it helps when being pursued

Though I've been working and will be continue doing so for the next 2 weeks so can't give you some hands on advice.

Yeah the bf 110 was under appreciated for a long time, especially during the broken fighter scourge (the beau fighter at one point was a nightmare to fight at low levels) but it gets some love these days as it's got solid firepower with plenty of ammo making it a good plane to fire at long range with the 151 cannons. You can easily pilot snipe anyone foolish to head on you and compared to other heavy fighters it's quite agile.

But it's very different to the do 217 later on which is just a tank for taking damage and the me410 feels weak initially but the later models are monsters especially the last one the b6 which spits out more lead at close range then any other plane in the game I think (maybe the 262 spits more) making it the best bomber killer in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

According to the Dev blog the J7W1 is getting put in the next patch. I have most of the Jap line reserched so I'm waiting on planes like this. It's like waiting for moar Dinosuars for Jurrasic park. :)

I have the entire jap tree researched so new blood like that is always appreciated

New patch 1.43 out.

Quick update

they recently added the american tech tree (or the beginning of it) to war thunder in a patch along with a lot of other nifty features including:

working bow machine guns/50 cal turrets/mounts on a number of vehicles (not all of them)

tow Ropes for pulling tanks that have fallen over or have had their engine shot out

repair assistance to speed up repairs by working together

new artillery system that gets rid of the uav spy camera and uses a map now

new maps! Eastern Europe is fantastic, one of the best maps in the game

lots of technical updates

new vehicles for almost every nation new german/russian tanks, new british jet attacker, new japanese fighters (including the awesome j2m) a new american jet and of course a tonne of american tanks stretching up to tier V with the m103.

The game shockingly made the m3 lee not only fun to play but an effective tank killer when using the 37mm/75mm as a one/two punch.

worth checking out at least if you havnt already.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    new vehicles for almost every nation new german/russian tanks, new british jet attacker, new japanese fighters (including the awesome j2m)..

J2M woot! I didnt even see that added to the tree. B17's watch out!

• Advertisement

Check out this weekend events for a unique war thunder experience.

They've turned off spotting in an event version of realistic battles for tanks and planes meaning you need to spot the enemy vehicle physically, no icons to help.

Very intense gameplay with a lot of ambush and flanking gameplay.

even aircraft get a great twist as you need to identify what you are diving on by its shape/speed etc.

well worth checking it out

Advertisement