Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

45pc of Europeans would upgrade or change supplier for faster broadband

Options
  • 08-07-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

"Internet speed is emerging as a top issue for internet users, with 45pc of European households willing to upgrade their internet subscription or switch suppliers for a faster connection, the latest EU-wide survey of how Europeans use the internet suggests."

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/33375-45pc-of-europeans-would/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But not if it costs much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mark Spilane

ISPs should not be allowed to advertised "Up to" speeds at all.
    They should be me made to advertise "minimum speed".
    Such as "Not less than 10Mb".
    That method would be much fairer to the customer.

Its a scam the way they are now. Currently I am on an "Up to 24Mb" package with Eircom. I get 1Mb. My neighbors including next door are all on Fibre and are getting 45Mb minimum and yet I am paying around the same as them for 1Mb. Yet Eircom do not have to do a thing to give me the correct service. They wont send anyone out to investigate at all. Just leaving me with 1Mb and telling me tough sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ultimately Comreg's and the Civil service fault. Makes no difference which party the Minister is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭clohamon

ISPs should not be allowed to advertised "Up to" speeds at all.
    They should be me made to advertise "minimum speed".
    Such as "Not less than 10Mb".
    That method would be much fairer to the customer.

The Advertising code (devised by ComReg) requires providers to indicate 'busy hour' speeds in the body of their advertising along with whatever other measurement they wish to use. Neither ASAI enforce this condition, nor do ComReg make it a condition of general telecoms authorisation, so it is ignored.

Advertisement