Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Ken B wrote: »
    What always amazes me about Soul Caliber is that, here's these great big dudes and dudettes, hitting and hacking at each other with these great big swords, yet flying, dismembered limb are notably conspicuous by their absence....

It's been a terrible flaw in the series since Soul Edge. I've similarly been waiting for Street Fighter to cop on and have it realistically simulate people being set on fire with hadoukens and yoga blasts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

What always amazes me about Soul Caliber is that, here's these great big dudes and dudettes, hitting and hacking at each other with these great big swords, yet flying, dismembered limb are notably conspicuous by their absence....

It'd really be a development for the series if they actually did something like realistic damage depictions, at the moment they're simply giving kids unrealistic expectations about the realities of martial combat.......

EG: 'Mummy, I didn't mean to hack Tony's arm off, I thought the kitchen-master 9000 would simply pass through him in a CGI blur, a la Soul Edge in the XBL demo of Soul Caliber 8!'

'That's okay Ruttiger, you weren't to know...what's the number for 999 again?'

What a ridiculous thing to say.

No one would ever name their kid Ruttiger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Bushido Blade did this on the PS1.

It was a cool concept, but not nearly as much fun as the Soul series (the first Soul game actually had weapon durability that went down as you fought, and when your weapon broke you had to fight barehanded).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looks like SC V will have a very effective dodge system then (more VF/Tekken style).

I'm curious about those "cinematic" moves, too, especially since Patroklos' one was air-comboable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

My memory is hazy, but I thought that SoulCalibur on the Dreamcast explained (deep within the character backgrounds) that anyone who possessed a shard of the Soul Edge would be immune to damage from someone else who had one, though they would still feel its effects. So Siegfried could slice someone in half, and they'd feel it, but they wouldn't actually get sliced, and could keep fighting until the accumulated pain caused them to black out.

Or something.

It's possible that that's something my brain formulated itself while playing and didn't inform me.

• Advertisement

Dunjohn wrote: »
    It's possible that that's something my brain formulated itself while playing and didn't inform me.

Yep.

The swords were fully intact in SoulEdge for insance, and characters like Hwang never obtained shards. Most characters who did collect shards only got them in SC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Sairus wrote: »
    characters like Hwang never obtained shards.

Aye but Hwangs a hard bast.

Yep.

The swords were fully intact in SoulEdge for insance, and characters like Hwang never obtained shards. Most characters who did collect shards only got them in SC2.

Hmm. The "Evil Seed" is what I was thinking of, rather than shards, but that's still right.

Still, I can rest assured that my explanation will probably leak out by itself and people will be quoting it five years from now with no clue of where it came from.

Just watched the trailer, why are they even showing us this?

It's literally just SC4 with a couple (half-)new models and awful cutscene moves shoehorned in.

Yep. The idea of showing a tech demo for a game using a different engine has bugged me since they showed that shaky cam footage a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Gonna play some SC4 online later if anyone is interested.
    Xbox Live: the k0ng

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OniKen

The first 3 I engoyed but 4 was total crap. Ill prob pick this up though, Not top of my list though.

sample_ea104be148292450a9acc2bd13b637f0.jpg?1188263

MY HEART.
    IT BELONGS TO HER.

I was all set to hate her based on the earlier sketch but she's got a very adorable expression, and freckles. :p

Apparently Tira's ending from SoulCalibur 3 where she abducts Phyrra is canon, so she doesn't know that Patrolkos is her brother.
    How she ended up using Sophetia's fighting style if they've been separated for 16 years needs some explaining though.

And that picture is great, though I still don't like the overall brown colour scheme she still has going.

I take it Tira didn't actually raise her? Tira doesn't really go for lace....

How she ended up using Sophetia's fighting style if they've been separated for 16 years needs some explaining though.

You're forgetting that fighting game characters somehow carry special moves in their blood. :pac:

As a birthday present for Kayane, Daishi posted some concept art of Xianghua in SCV on his Twitter. Awesome.

http://twitpic.com/5ejuha
    http://twitpic.com/5ejuhq

Also, Patroklos' second costume:

http://twitpic.com/5ekypj

Daishi revealed a new character via twitter:

takireplacement.jpg

Read all about it on SF.ie :pac:

http://streetfighter.ie/index.php/2011/07/15/takis-replacement-revealed-for-soulcalibur-5/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Any word on any sort of guest stars? If not, could work out to be a good'um, once they're not charged with melding in some odd addition, and failing.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Any word on any sort of guest stars? If not, could work out to be a good'um, once they're not charged with melding in some odd addition, and failing.

They said that they were definitely including guest characters, but no word on who they'd be.
    Daishi has said before that he particularly liked SC2's guest characters and the way they were unique to each system :(

Daishi has said before that he particularly liked SC2's guest characters and the way they were unique to each system :(

Where do they GET these guys?

All the assets Namco had planned on using for their Comic Con reveal have been leaked.

ivy.jpg

zwei.jpg

http://streetfighter.ie/index.php/2011/07/21/soulcalibur-5-characters-and-screenshots-leaked/#more-2078

They said that they were definitely including guest characters, but no word on who they'd be.

If there's a Wii-U version with Link, I'd froth. He's broken as broke can go,
    but I love him. I can't help but notice that there's not a terrible amount of
    anticipation for SCV in any quarter from here to there other forum I frequent. Did III & IV really do that much damage?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Did III & IV really do that much damage?

Yes.

Well 4 certainly, I quite liked 3 apart from the stupid extra characters. Apparently there were game breaking exploits but I think they were fixed in the PAL release so meh.

We've got our guest character; Ezio from Assassin's Creed:

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/20/soul-calibur-v-ezio-reveal-trailer/

It kind of fits this time, at least, for haters of the concept.

Dampierre confirmed... as pre-order DLC :/

XHJ3y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Dampierre confirmed... as pre-order DLC :/

WOW **** pre-order DLC

Creepy image there Kiki

Why thank you, I had to try and localise the PSP port in like 2 days.

n.b. there was NO WAY to localise it in 2 days <_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Advertisement