Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ideally 1:1,anything else and your a leech

Merging this thread with P2P discussion

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Blindpew wrote: »
    Well you are right but I couldn't get it to work right when I only opened certain ports. I have been downloading for years with all ports open and have never had any problems. Internet security blocks any interference.

To be honest the port range of 10000 - 60000.is just pointless. you don't need that kind of range forwarded

Something like 7000 - 7070 is MORE then enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

some of my ratios are 0.000

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

barnicles wrote: »
    some of my ratios are 0.000
    Bet its cause of that eye sore website of yours :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be honest the port range of 10000 - 60000.is just pointless. you don't need that kind of range forwarded

Something like 7000 - 7070 is MORE then enough

Some bit torrent programs require the range to be above 10000 as far as I know. I never gave it much thought before, what are the advantages of only having certain ports open? I wouldn't want to be losing out on any speed.

• Advertisement

Blindpew wrote: »
    Some bit torrent programs require the range to be above 10000 as far as I know. I never gave it much thought before, what are the advantages of only having certain ports open? I wouldn't want to be losing out on any speed.

You'll find any port restrictions are generally down to the tracker being used, for example alot of trackers won't allow users to use the commenly used ports as many ISP block them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Well I got the NTL 20mb today and managed to get the green light on utorrent just by forwarding the utorrent port. I must have made a mistake when I tried to do it on the d-link router. I find the upload speed the biggest difference, it's amazing to see a file uploading at over 100kb/s after years of watching them doing barely anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Has anyone tried uTorrent 1.8 RC7 yet? I've given it a go, and it's all good. I like how it has included a tracker tab in the stats area. Very helpful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Has anyone tried uTorrent 1.8 RC7 yet? I've given it a go, and it's all good. I like how it has included a tracker tab in the stats area. Very helpful.
    Was kinda reluctant to try it. Is it stable?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Was kinda reluctant to try it. Is it stable?
    I doubt it's 100% stable yet, as it's still a release candidate,but so far, no crashes or any problems. I'd anticipate a stable release soon, though.

It's still worth a try. :)

• Advertisement

I doubt it's 100% stable yet
    I meant in your experience :)

WebUI support this version yet?

I meant in your experience :)

WebUI support this version yet?
    WebUI.jpg

:)

For me, no problems. It has been as stable as 1.7 so far. Haven't made use of Web UI, though. I say go for it!

The new status bar icon is pretty fugly :)

The new status bar icon is pretty fugly :)
    Oh, you mean the title bar? I agree, I prefer the old one. The icon is the same in the taskbar and systray, too. Can't be helped. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Has anyone been able to connect to Soulseek on UPC / NTL?

I've my ports set up right, the port check on the Soulseek webpage says my TCP port is open like it should be, but the client doesn't connect.

I'm using the latest Soulseek 157 NS 13c version, but it didn't work with Soulseek 156 either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

On 24mb BT profile [line will only take 22mb; synching @ 20/1]

On 7 torrents running yday I was hitting nigh on 900kb combined from one tracker site.

utorrent 1.8rc6.

thanks for the heads.up on rc7

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Tim131

For me, no problems. It has been as stable as 1.7 so far. Haven't made use of Web UI, though. I say go for it!

Yeah I can confirm 1.8 is running really well too :D

I've been using it a while now, and no problems what so ever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

I can't connec to DC++ on Chorus this is very frustrating.

*** An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Ah got it you have to select "Direct Connection" there is no firewall.

EDIT: Nope, it only connects to some hubs, and can't search :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

I can't connec to DC++ on Chorus this is very frustrating.

*** An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

you got chorus bb? im thinking about changing in the next few days,

do you have any problems with them throttling torrents or are you getting full speeds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So I was running all my torrents at the same time - like 15 to 20 of them on the go, down would be about 200kb and up would be 150kb or similar and I always found it would be next to impossible to surf, if torrents were running you couldn't browse, well just now I turned them all off except for two and while the up/down speed is the same I can browse just fine, it has no effect on browsing, it just must have been keeping open all those connections that was slowing the browsing and not the actual speed , so during the day i'll just run a couple and at night ill run em all, but the speed will be the same for both, cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

MooseJam wrote: »
    So I was running all my torrents at the same time - like 15 to 20 of them on the go, down would be about 200kb and up would be 150kb or similar and I always found it would be next to impossible to surf, if torrents were running you couldn't browse, well just now I turned them all off except for two and while the up/down speed is the same I can browse just fine, it has no effect on browsing, it just must have been keeping open all those connections that was slowing the browsing and not the actual speed , so during the day i'll just run a couple and at night ill run em all, but the speed will be the same for both, cool

I had the browsing problem last year. Then I read that my Router, the Netgear DG834G had problems with more than 100 simultaneous connections. Limited Max connections in torrent software to 90 and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Tim131

If you're having problems surfing whilst torrents are downoading, just give the torrents 80% of your bandwidth, then you have 20% of it to browse the web (which is more than enough for me)

To do this on uTorrent, right click one of the torrents being downloaded in uTorrent click "bandwidth allocation" then go to "set download limit" set it to about 250kb/s if you're on 3MB, and do the same for your upload.

Works for me :)

ronrar wrote: »
    you got chorus bb? im thinking about changing in the next few days,

do you have any problems with them throttling torrents or are you getting full speeds?

Very slow speeds for Torrents :(

Port forwaring too...

I'll try it with a "fresh" torrent maybe and see what happens. But right now extremely slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

MooseJam wrote: »

Don't run too many torrents together, no matter what bandwidth you have. Aiming only to use 60% of your bandwidth will give you better download speeds and allow you to surf. A mistake people make is to upload too fast and fill bandwidth, set a limit of 7-10 KB/s on each torrent, 7-10 KB/s is enough to give you full speed. If you upload concurrently to too many people your connection and router will be swamped, and your downloads will slow again.

Here

Torrent speeds picked up since, 70-100 k each for 2 torrents. Not bad I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

anybody with utorrent 1.8 release or the rc7 getting this in the log
    [2008-08-10 02:30:48]  UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.

repeats a few times then fails and I get a yellow red connection light now.

port is fwd correctly and all on the router side. Wondering if it's something on BTs side?

werking fine today :/

kaimera wrote: »
    anybody with utorrent 1.8 or the rc2 getting this in the log
    [2008-08-10 02:30:48]  UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.

repeats a few times then fails and I get a yellow connection light. Up till tonight actually I had green.

port is fwd correctly and all. utorrent is now telling me that it's not open.
    It is now up to rc7. That issue might have been fixed between rc2 and now.

FYI uTorrent 1.8 Stable has been released. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

FYI uTorrent 1.8 Stable has been released. :pac:

Thanks j

Advertisement