Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can you tell a dogs age?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out the age of our stray, he seems young in himself, about 1-2 years old but he is grey around his face and muzzle, does this indicate older age, as in humans? I know you can tell by their teeth but I don't know what I'm looking for!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Cut it in half and count the rings.

Or, on a more serious note - http://www.ehow.com/how_2093651_determine-dogs-age.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Unfortunately its not an exact science, that guide is good, gives you a general idea, but the teeth will depend on what kind of food the dog is used to. If a dog is fed soft food, and not given anything to chew, its teeth can get dirty very quickly, making it appear older that it is, whereas a dog fed on dry kibble, or raw food, with lots of bones to crunch on and clean its teeth with, may have lovely pearly whites and look younger than it is.

Best of luck with it, I'd suggest taking him to the vets, let them have a guess:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Got any photos? Some breeds can get grizzled quite young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I will try and take some tonight and post them tomorrow

• Advertisement
Advertisement