Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Completion of Phase I of M50 upgrade

• 04-02-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Did I hear somewhere over the weekend that the Mainline upgrade works under Phase I would be completed in March with the Junction works completed in August or something like that?

Not sure what radio program it was but that's something along the lines of it.

Anyone else hear the report?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

Look at www.m50.ie. Oh wait, that will only tell you what was completed last August.

But better than www.m50concession.ie. Website is so long under construction, my faith in their ability to do other construction is waning.

It had been said before Christmas that the N4 freeflow and mainline works were ahead of schedule and expected to be completed by March. The original schedule was for 2 years work from commencement in September 2006 but everything on the website was changed to say finished "this year" which suggests a buffer up until Christmas to have everything completed. Most of the remaining work seems to be at the Red Cow and I'm not sure they will open 4 lanes on the mainline to head to an unfinished Red Cow or a non-free flow toll booth. So I think they might finish the construction of the mainline but leave it blocked off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Sunday business post said the third lane in each direction will be open in mid march. Redcow squigleabout will be done in August or Sept.

Also noticed yesterday the bit bitween the toll and blanch looks almost ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Parts of the mainline look like they've a lot more work to be done on them imo. I don't think the mainline will be open in March.

Here is the article

http://www.thepost.ie/post/text/story.asp?document_id=mhaukfgbid&category_name=IRISH+NEWS

THE POST.IE
    Relief is on the way for M50 users

03 February 2008
    By Nicola Cooke
    The first section of an eight-kilometre, €200 million upgrade of the M50 motorway will be open within six weeks, giving some relief to motorists.

From the middle of next month, the N4 junction and mainline M50 from the West-Link toll bridge to the Ballymount junction will be three lanes wide in each direction.

Siac, the main contractor on the upgrade, said it was delivering the scheme on time.

The firm plans to have an upgrade of the N7 interchange - known as the Red Cow roundabout - completed by the end of August or early September.

This will be a three-level junction, with a separate track for the Luas. Hank Fogarty, director of Siac, said the area ‘‘will never be called a roundabout again. It will resemble a spaghetti junction, but in a more confined space than is normally the case. The three traffic levels will bring free-flow there.

‘‘This should have been built as a three level to start with, and, in its current state, has made the task of weaving the Luas through the area very difficult.”

While there has been criticism of the signage at the roundabout, Fogarty said this was mainly due to a lack of space for signs and the fact people were not travelling at the recommended 60 kilometres per hour.

‘‘We would happily put up more signs, but out of necessity, we have two main lanes and an emergency lane in a tight space,” he said. There will be a progressive opening of the turn-offs on the N7 between March and September.

However, Fogarty believes the real benefits of phase one of the upgrade will not be felt unless barrier-free tolling is introduced quickly when the National Roads Authority (NRA) takes control of the West-Link toll bridge in August.

Siac is also working on the M3 from Clonee to the Meath/Cavan border, which passes near the Hill of Tara. Protesters are still trying to prevent work going ahead, and gardai are called at least once a week to remove them.

The 60-kilometre M3is due for completion in 2010, but could be ready by the end of next year, according to Siac.

© Thomas Crosbie Media, 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah, from toll bridge to Ballymount makes more sense. The bit from Ballymount to Tallaght looks like there's a lot of work to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Don't think March is realistic for mainline.

at N4:
    - southbound one one lane is on new tarmac. two mainline lanes + merging slip to do
    - northbound one mainoline lane to do.

at N7:
    - where do I start.... just drive it :-)

at Ballymount:
    - southbound: only one mainline lane on new tarmac, two to go.
    - northbound: two on new tarmac, one to go.

and how can you open the mainline without having the junctions sorted? Actually its really only the N7 junction that is really lagging behind - and is causing the biggest problem...

Btw, does anyone know what they will do with the toll plaza? you won't turn that into 4 lane mainline overnight.

Edit: just saw the other post - still don't think they will manage! If they suggest to narrow the three lanes before the Ballymount junction, they are insane. Looks like little work is left bwetween Ballymount & Tallagh, there should be no reason to go all the way.

Oh wait - its called Marketing. We finished X month ahead of (Z month delayed - sssshhh don't mention that) schedule.....

• Btw, does anyone know what they will do with the toll plaza? you won't turn that into 4 lane mainline overnight.
    [speculation]
    First of all they would start the barier free tolling, then I would guess that they would simply open the barriers on the outside lanes at the plaza while the inner two or three lanes are cleared and rebuilt.
    [/speculation]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

I knew I didn't just dream it over the weekend!!

And I think the issue of working in a new section with the old under construction areas is sort of covered where SIAC mention 3 lanes will be open between these areas. When it's all done there should be 4 lanes along here. Maybe they will just open the 3 of them for now to give some relief but still keep it manageable coming into the tighter areas. i.e 2 mainline lanes and 3rd lane between junctions. This alone should keep stuff moving most of the time.

Then we'll just have to get Michael from the Alan Partridge show with his "Apache attack helicopter" to sort out the toll barriers!!! I can just see him now hovering down behind the bridge and popping up when it's clear to remove the gates!! :D (You'll know the clip if you watched the show)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

cargo wrote: »
    Then we'll just have to get Michael from the Alan Partridge show with his "Apache attack helicopter" to sort out the toll barriers!!! I can just see him now hovering down behind the bridge and popping up when it's clear to remove the gates!! :D (You'll know the clip if you watched the show)

A couple of runaway (well if they keep to a certain specific area) bulldozers would do do the job nicely - we don't want to creator the M50 out of it!!! :D

Just blitz the toll booths! :)

Regards!

• Advertisement

• A bit OT,

In cyprus some of the main roads to the north of Lemassos have been built as "reserve runways".

Two roads, one to Lefosa and the other to Pafos (I think) have a section of dead straight dual carriageway with removable barriers on the median, even has runway markings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

A bit OT,

.....have a section of dead straight dual carriageway......

Doesn't exist anywhere in this country :D

Advertisement