Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dave Mc Redmond will be €6m richer next month

• 22-02-2004 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Payback from the Valentia consortium. Story Here in the Business Post. I hear Phil Nolan will get over €12m

The managers will share an amount equal to the reduction in Capital Expenditure per annum by Eircom between 2001 and 2003 . Nice.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

I find the SBP to be a great paper for industry coverage. There are around five separate articles that I have read so far dealing with eircom this week.
    It really boils me to think that these guys will receive a huge payoff for leaving the country in such a state but that is business and what these guys are doing is completely legitimate. They will probably be admired for getting such an impressive return on the investment in business circles. I guess business doesn't have a social conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

On the back page, Vinchinzo Browne provides coverage of the less than legitimate ordinary -> preference share conversion with ESOT tax privileges provided for by champagne charlie.

Also coverage of a study that shows that €ircon are the most vulnerable european telecoms incumbent to competition from the mobile phone sector as people start to do away with fixed line alltogether in favour of mobile only.

The SBP with yet another weeks great coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Yes, there will be some serious spin put out by eircom over the next while to counter this of report. BT was tenth on the list of sixteen most vulnerable and eircom was number one. At least they are number one at something.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

From the Last Post Section of to-day's SBP

Dirty tricks
    Looks like those grasping folks down at Eircom are reeling from the pummelling the company received over its recent fixed line price hikes. A Last Post agent on St Stephen's Green, Dublin, spotted a couple of interesting graffiti written on the back of an Eircom van last week. "Free Union Jack with every Esat BT connection," said the first. "BT Esat: British Thick Pigs," proclaimed the second.

When challenged, the driver seemed unconcerned about the bold statements regarding Eircom's main rival. Of course, it would be churlish of the Last Post to suggest that it should have carried a third: "Leave us alone while we rip off our own."

And this coming from a UK shelf company...................

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Also coverage of a study that shows that €ircon are the most vulnerable european telecoms incumbent to competition from the mobile phone sector as people start to do away with fixed line alltogether in favour of mobile only.
    Luckily for them, we have one of the least competitive mobile markets in Europe too.

Do you think someone is trying to send us a message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I noticed it mentioned the mobile opartors are offering discounted call rates for new mortgage holders to give them an alternative to the land line monopoly (enjoy mobile oligopoly everyone). How nice of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Dave McRedmond aka Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf.

Good to see Dave was being sincere in all those interviews about how increasing line rental was necessary to pay for Eircoms network, not just lining his own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well at least he will be able to afford BB from eircom....

personally , im all for earning money, but the short termism here is quite staggering...yes they earned money now...but the issues they are pushing away will detonate very quickly....

either that or i think its the poison pill mentality to takeover...kinda like 'if we are sooo bad, noone will want us cos of the costs of ownership and upgrade will be huge, and even if they do come in as a competitor they are beholden to us....'

:rolleyes:

Advertisement