Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I suppose it really depends on where you were and what type of school you went to.

Where I went the cane was seldom used, you had to do something really bad to get it, had friends who went to another school and most got caned at some time.
    Hardly ever seen it much at school but it was fairly relativley common parental punishment still in the seventies, as the sally rod and the belt were here. In The UK it has all but ceased now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

The former headmaster at my secondary school was one of those who left them dry, an older brother of a friend was caned by him just before he retired, broke six canes and the boy had to go to the doctor afterwards.:eek:
    Idiot letting his canes go dry. Nylon canes are much better although they weren't on the market at that time. Leather straps need to be kept warm and supple as well. They should not be left to dry and harden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Kosseegan wrote: »
    The former headmaster at my secondary school was one of those who left them dry, an older brother of a friend was caned by him just before he retired, broke six canes and the boy had to go to the doctor afterwards.:eek:
    Idiot letting his canes go dry. Nylon canes are much better although they weren't on the market at that time. Leather straps need to be kept warm and supple as well. They should not be left to dry and harden.

You seem to know your stuff!

My parents used to slap me but said that they disagree with that type of punishment now and would be shocked if I were to do similar to my kids.

poisonated wrote: »
    You seem to know your stuff!

I'm guessing that there's a bit of S&M going on there! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Whatever about punishing your child when they've deliberately gone and done something they know is wrong, but punishing kids for making mistakes ? Christ that's awful. Everyone makes mistakes, and to err is human. What sort of a message does it send your child if you whack them for spilling milk ? Just get them to clean up the mess and leave it at that. Hitting them for making a mistake when they didn't mean to do it is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

lividduck wrote: »
    your [sic] wrong there, I am in my late 40's [sic] and felt the cane often enough in my youth , most of which was in england.

Ah an English Hibernophobe. How sad. This explains so much of your rants against Irish.

Anyway, whatever about your country, corporal punishment in schools was banned in Ireland on 26 January 1982. It became law in Ireland on St Brigid's Day 1982.
    Source

A quick Google and in England corporal punishment in schools was made illegal in state-run schools in 1987 and private schools as recently as 1999. It was only made illegal in Scotland in 2000 and Northern Ireland in 2003.
    Source

Your mistake in this is once again that you assume whatever happens in England happens here, or should happen here because it would make this country more culturally acceptable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I worst punishment I ever got was that I was grounded FOR A YEAR!

I was 14, caught coming out of a club absolutely off my face draped all over a 20 year old man who thought I was 13 and wanted to bring me to his home.

I suppose I deserved it. And that man should be in prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Dostoevsky wrote: »

Anyway, whatever about your country, corporal punishment in schools was banned in Ireland on 26 January 1982. It became law in Ireland on St Brigid's Day 1982.
    Source

It was only banned in state funded schools. it was not banned generally until 1997.
    http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_act/1997/0026.html
    NON-FATAL OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON ACT, 1997
    24.—The rule of law under which teachers are immune from criminal liability in respect of physical chastisement of pupils is hereby abolished.

In any case, lividduck was talking about parental punishment in the 1970s, not corporal punishment in schools in ireland post 1982

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Kosseegan wrote: »
    It was only banned in state funded schools. it was not banned generally until 1997.
    http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_act/1997/0026.html
    NON-FATAL OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON ACT, 1997
    24.—The rule of law under which teachers are immune from criminal liability in respect of physical chastisement of pupils is hereby abolished.

It was banned generally in 1982. Under the 1982 legislation, however, a teacher who used corporal punishment was 'guilty of conduct unbefitting a teacher and will be subject to severe disciplinary action.' In other words, it wasn't a criminal offence to use corporal punishment but you could still lose your job for using it. It was made a criminal offence under the 1997 legislation.

Ah an English Hibernophobe. How sad. This explains so much of your rants against Irish.

Source

A quick Google and in England corporal punishment in schools was made illegal in state-run schools in 1987 and private schools as recently as 1999. It was only made illegal in Scotland in 2000 and Northern Ireland in 2003.
    Source

Your mistake in this is once again that you assume whatever happens in England happens here, or should happen here because it would make this country more culturally acceptable to you.
    I have no idea what your purile diatribe was about. My country is Ireland, born Dublin of Irish Parents, so I resent your classification of me as both English and a Hibernaphobe.
    I made no statements regarding the dates of abolition in either country.
    I merely stated that it was relativley common to recieve corporal punishment in the home in both countries in my youth, albeit by differing methods.
    I would be obliged if you could post a quote from any post of mine that states that I believe that whatever happens in the Uk or elsewhere should automatically happen here, if you can!
    All and all it is clear that you have issues best dealt with by a professional, but until then I would be obliged if you stuck to the facts and left off the personal insults when engaging with me, in accordance with the Charter and Rules of this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I once stole money from my dad's room to buy football stickers, his response was to rip apart every sticker album I'd collected (and filled) for six years and then made me clean up the mess - he also tore all the posters of my bedroom wall - definately a lesson learned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Source

Your source does not refer to any statutory instrument, only to an executive order. It only applied to schools subject to Department of Education regulations. Not all were or are.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

lividduck wrote: »
    I have no idea what your purile diatribe was about. My country is Ireland, born Dublin of Irish Parents, so I resent your classification of me as both English and a Hibernaphobe.
    I made no statements regarding the dates of abolition in either country.
    I merely stated that it was relativley common to recieve corporal punishment in the home in both countries in my youth, albeit by differing methods.
    I would be obliged if you could post a quote from any post of mine that states that I believe that whatever happens in the Uk or elsewhere should automatically happen here, if you can!
    All and all it is clear that you have issues best dealt with by a professional, but until then I would be obliged if you stuck to the facts and left off the personal insults when engaging with me, in accordance with the Charter and Rules of this forum.

A dub is worse though :D

I once stole money from my dad's room to buy football stickers, his response was to rip apart every sticker album I'd collected (and filled) for six years and then made me clean up the mess - he also tore all the posters of my bedroom wall - definately a lesson learned.

I remember after failing a spelling test aged 5 my da tattooed on my back.

fin
    finite
    definite
    definitely

I have never forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I remember after failing a spelling test aged 5 my da tattooed on my back.

fin
    finite
    definite
    definitely

I have never forgotten.

many lolz :D

A dub is worse though :D
    one nil to you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

It was banned generally in 1982. Under the 1982 legislation, however, a teacher who used corporal punishment was 'guilty of conduct unbefitting a teacher and will be subject to severe disciplinary action.' In other words, it wasn't a criminal offence to use corporal punishment but you could still lose your job for using it. It was made a criminal offence under the 1997 legislation.

The nuns were beating my husband in 1984 when he was 5 years old, that was in co Clare. He came home covered in bruises from the wooden blackboard duster...

The nuns were beating my husband in 1984 when he was 5 years old, that was in co Clare. He came home covered in bruises from the wooden blackboard duster...

He must have been a right brat.

He must have been a right brat.

No the nun was evil.

She took a dislike to him, probably because his older sister broke the virgin Marys head off. He wasn't allowed in class he had to kneel if front of it for 5 hours a day. Not that it's head would re-attach.

No the nun was evil.

She took a dislike to him, probably because his older sister broke the virgin Marys head off. He wasn't allowed in class he had to kneel if front of it for 5 hours a day. Not that it's head would re-attach.

She did what???????????????????
    Why haven't I heard about this?
    There is no way, you are making it up. That would be international news and probably not even possible!

• Advertisement

Maddie_McC wrote: »
    I'd rather not say...

ye'd better not say another word or the trip to the kitchen next week is cancelled.

She did what???????????????????
    Why haven't I heard about this?
    There is no way, you are making it up. That would be international news and probably not even possible!

My husband's sister beheaded the virgin Mary... Well a 4 foot statue of her. When she tells the story we are in bits the best story I've ever heard....

The evil nun had him marked as soon as she knew his name, he was withdrawn from the school after 3 months

Maddie_McC wrote: »
    :( FML.

done and done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

yeah nuns can be evil *****. Whatever about discpilining kids,it should always be in the best interest of the kids. nuns seemed to do it with a grudge, and with a sense of cruelty. My Sister went to a convent and the stories she told me were unbelievable, and it was only the late 90's. Not necessarily physical, but verbal was worse. Once the principal a nun, gave out to my Sister's friend, who happened to be in long term foster care, well the bitch of a nun used to berate her publically in front of her class mates for simply been in foster care. Even the teaching staff thought it was appaling, and one mimed the word bitch under her breat as the principal was walking out of the classroom after tearing in to the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dubbie82

I don't think my parents ever hit me, maybe a slap here and there. I was just ignored which was worse.
    There was a time in middle school when I was sick and missed a lot of stuff and had a hard time catching up and no one took time to explain what I missed and I just fell even further behind and my grades fell. Havin confidence issues from an early age this really knocked me badly. I tried to do my homework but hadn't got a clue how to do it my mother more or less called me stupid. Only as an adult I realised that my homework was way over her heard as she had received very little education herself.
    My father was busy working, family and kids was the womans issue, he grew up in a similar environment.

There was no trust at all. I was abused by someone outside the family and they still don't know. I was 9 and I knew it would be laid out to be my fault. I had a complete disturbed relationship to my body, maybe showered once a week and all these things just lead to me beeing bullied badly at school. Unwashed, braces glaces, pimples. I remember she told me once "you are just as ugly inside as you look on the outside" I cried every night and hated my life. I showed every sign of abuse and neglect and was ignored by the people who are supposed to protect you!
    I never told my mother about anything, still nearly 30 and my mother knows nothing about me, she doesn't know what food I like, she doesn't really know what my job entails she doesn't know if I ever had a boyfriend. Nothing!
    I hate that those years still affect me and I hate the fact that it's so hard to forget and move on.
    I worked hard on my myself but sometimes I still as useless as in my childhood. I made a promise to myself that should I ever be lucky enought to have a family on my own I will not make those mistakes, never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Worst punishment was my dad walking out on me and my mam when I was 7. Psychologically damaged me to the point that I'm in therapy, and I still can't trust people some 14 years later.

Whatever about punishing your child when they've deliberately gone and done something they know is wrong, but punishing kids for making mistakes ? Christ that's awful. Everyone makes mistakes, and to err is human. What sort of a message does it send your child if you whack them for spilling milk ? Just get them to clean up the mess and leave it at that. Hitting them for making a mistake when they didn't mean to do it is awful.

Accidents don't just happen. They are caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

my mam took my ATM card off me when I was 16. I was just after getting my first proper job and was busy being all delighted with myself so it was kind of a stinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It's a sad fact in life that some people are absolute ****s who get off on bullying and belittling others-either physically, mentally or both.
    A defenceless child who can't retaliate and who is dependent on them makes the perfect target for ***** like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    Remember being about 6 and seeing my mother slapping my 3 year old brother with her slipper and finishing off with a few kicks... still remember it to this day nearly 30 years later

There was 9 of us in it and we through stages of seriously picking on individually when we reached about 14 -17 years old. Anything that happened in the local area they presumed we were involved and wouldnt give up lecturing about it and trying to find out what exactly happened. wouldnt mind but none of us were. when I think back now they had very little trouble with us.

when I was younger i used to get ate by my father whenever a certain friend used to call to the house looking for me to come out to play as if it was my fault.

My father is a lazy ****er and basically stays in bed most of the day. We were expected to tiptoe around the house and not make any noise until he got up. that time depends on how bad his hangover is. At dinner then there would be a big lecture and 'giving out' about all the noise earlier. I hated mealtimes. you couldnt even hoover when he was in bed. He was a contrary **** too. I seen my brothers helping him do work around the house and yard and him roaring at them because they were doing it wrong and snapping tools off them and cursing and now he wonders why none of them want to help him do anything.

The second I started to go to secondary school they were obessed with me not getting pregnant. there was always a big panic to find me if young lads that werent related to me came into the village on a saturday or during holidays they were there to go to the shop and had nothing to do with me. As I got older I started to stand up for myself and was threathened with a blacktorn stick if I didnt stop.

They became obsessed with us going to mass every time there was mass on in the local church.

You have just described a typical traditional irish upbringing of the 70's 80's and 90's:D. Nothing unique there I'm afraid;)

Advertisement