Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Irish Applicant - Qualifications

• 08-02-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

Hopefully this hasn't already been asked (I've used the search function but couldn't find anything).

I'm considering putting in an application for the Garda reserves, as I've always been interested in police work and would love to gain some valuable experience before potentially pursuing a career.

I am, however, having difficulty translating my qualifications into whatever the Leaving Cert equivalents might be.

Suffice to say, my A-level results weren't anything to write home about! At the moment, however, I'm studying part-time for my degree.

I would be grateful if anybody could enlighten me on the topic!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I checked the UCAS website and looked at the equivalent points.

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/ilc

According to the site, the Leaving Cert requirements are equivalent to 117 UCAS points. This is based on the "Higer level" points structure, as opposed to the "Ordinary Level".

Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I checked the UCAS website and looked at the equivalent points.

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/ilc

According to the site, the Leaving Cert requirements are equivalent to 117 UCAS points. This is based on the "Higer level" points structure, as opposed to the "Ordinary Level".

Is this correct?

IS it not more like 35 points (which is 5 ordinary level Bs) - AGS requires 5 ordinary level D3s....

If you have what would be considered a "Pass" in A levels that would be equivalent to a "Pass" in leaving Certificate.

TylerIE wrote: »
    IS it not more like 35 points (which is 5 ordinary level Bs) - AGS requires 5 ordinary level D3s....

If you have what would be considered a "Pass" in A levels that would be equivalent to a "Pass" in leaving Certificate.

It's quite a confusing system for those unfamiliar with it, I must say!

So, there's Higher level, Ordinary level and Foundation level. The UCAS site only seems to display "Higher" and "Ordinary", so no word of foundation.

Also, it doesn't seem to give the points for anything below "B3" at ordinary level.

If going by the table, my results are more than sufficient to meet the requirements. Well, I'm hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

It's quite a confusing system for those unfamiliar with it, I must say!

So, there's Higher level, Ordinary level and Foundation level. The UCAS site only seems to display "Higher" and "Ordinary", so no word of foundation.

Also, it doesn't seem to give the points for anything below "B3" at ordinary level.

If going by the table, my results are more than sufficient to meet the requirements. Well, I'm hoping...

Well when a B3 at Ordinary is 7 points then Id say a C is worth near 0 hence why its not included.

Foundation level is a bare pass hence why UCAS dont offer points for it, most Irish universitys wont even take it, and any that do may take Foundation Maths as a qualification to meet the maths requirements but wont allocate points for it.

TylerIE wrote: »
    Well when a B3 at Ordinary is 7 points then Id say a C is worth near 0 hence why its not included.

Foundation level is a bare pass hence why UCAS dont offer points for it, most Irish universitys wont even take it, and any that do may take Foundation Maths as a qualification to meet the maths requirements but wont allocate points for it.

Well, according to the points my qualifications exceed the basic requirements, which is good to hear.

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement