Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mackerel Season

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

mattser wrote: »
    Do you mean bring you to the sea, or bring the sea to you ? icon5.png
    The sea can stay where it is. I'm looking for a few mackeral.
    Somebody who gets a good haul might like to help out and even earn a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Caught 20+ maks and a couple of nice pollack in ballycotton Monday evening. Place was busy but everyone was hauling them in. Buddy also got a dozen big maks off the rocks in myrtleville last night so good fishing in cork at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Anybody catching anything east coast. anything???

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Plenty caught off Skerries pier last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Anyone know why the macks are so small this year? got a few decent sized off galway docks but loads small which i threw back in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Slade on the Hook is fishing well for macks.

219978.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the macks are so small this year? got a few decent sized off galway docks but loads small which i threw back in.

what me and the oul lad reckon is that all the bigger ones are being caught in the nets up north by foreign boats before they even get down here and the smaller ones are making it through the nets.

Just a theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Talked to fishermen about the mackerel stocks. They are simply being overfished. The factory ships are grabbing the shoals. Most are mulched for other products (agricultural mainly) but the large ones are kept for consumers. The mackerel migration that we know today may soon be a thing of the past unless something is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Lexi Modern Ore

The reason there are few mackeral this year and that they are small is mainly because of the weather. The jet stream spent most of the summer over europe, not over ireland, which meant for most of the summer out prevailing wind came from the north. without the heat of the south westerly, there is less plankton in the water. Mackerel feed on plankton, so less plankton, less mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I agree with the above post. I spoke to a marine biologist about it recently and he said the same. The northern part of the atlantic coast fared worse this year and he said it was partly due to red tide but mainly due to the jet stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Galway K9 wrote: »

what me and the oul lad reckon is that all the bigger ones are being caught in the nets up north by foreign boats before they even get down here and the smaller ones are making it through the nets.

Just a theory.

Its a good theory

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

Youghal full of mackerel this evening, everyone pulling them in from quay, lot of them small

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Got a few off the flat rocks in Dunmore East last night at high tide. Jet black feathers and red ones with luminous squid heads worked best.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭realrebel

been getting loads of mackerel and seatrout in the last week inside cork harbour good fishing there on the bigger tides

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Is it around where the boats are off loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EamonnX1

Has anyone caught mackerel this year (2012) from the shores in the Cork Harbor or East Cork, West Waterford regions? Visited some reliable marks (from past years) without a sign.

EamonnX1 wrote: »
    Has anyone caught mackerel this year (2012) from the shores in the Cork Harbor or East Cork, West Waterford regions? Visited some reliable marks (from past years) without a sign.

Lots of mackerel around in cork harbour in the last week or so I heard there were loads in youghal too eamonn
    I got at least 20 every night I've been out releasing about 90% of them great crack on light gear

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Would sea trout take feathers, same as macks would

Would sea trout take feathers, same as macks would

I wouldn't think you would get many if any on feathers but small dexter wedges work for the trout and krills

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jorb

Try Mornington, been fishing there every year for 10 years, been a little quiet this year but then again i haven't fished it much, apart from sea trout fishing, Almost as many Macks as Clougher, less anglers, safer, quieter and you'll catch Pollack to about 2lb and possibly beyond. Great bass fishing from both sides.. Seriously underrated venue! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Been fishing years for mackerel,seem to be getting later and later, anyway head for Greenore (Louth) right now...... as soon as the tide starts to head up the Lough:) .. Ah back in the day out in the boat couple of miles of TempleTown beach<< have my m8s head wrek'd with those stories, all true of course.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vladsniper

Hi all,

I was this week in Howth, and no mackerel at all don't know way I think is to yearly maybe next month will starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

vladsniper wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was this week in Howth, and no mackerel at all don't know way I think is to yearly maybe next month will starting.

Hi vladsniper,

This years mackerel thread is here if you want to discuss this seasons fishing.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement