Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mackerel Season

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Thinking about heading to Dalky on Sunday morning and renting a boat,

Myself and Jonnykitedude did this on Sunday. Spent three hours getting soaked and not a fish to be seen! Just to rub (sea)salt into the wounds, as we headed back to the harbour everyone fishing along the rocks was hauling in macks.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

what about around bundoran?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

EastTyrone wrote: »
    what about around bundoran?
    Not sure about Bundoran but North Sligo coast has been very bad so far this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I think the red tide from galway bay to the north has the fishing along that part of the coast kinda fecked at the moment lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orangesoranges

Any mackrel in Dun Laoighaire yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Any mackrel in Dun Laoighaire yet??

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brg

Anyone catching mackerel in Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

brg wrote: »
    Anyone catching mackerel in Cork ?

i've got the odd few off rocks outside of kinsale harbour,caught a few off a small boat very close to rocks around blackhead,old head etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Its been hit and miss in black head the last few days.loads caught on monday and very few today

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Lads, this a joke in Kerry at de moment, caught two or three after two hours fishing, this is the same over the last few days! Saw a rented boat come in only with about 12 mackerel and some were small, after two hours fishing! An ould fella told me that last year the yielded 90 million euros from mackerel last year, don't know how true that is, but from reading this thread there is some truth in it!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

MikeOis wrote: »
    An ould fella told me that last year the yielded 90 million euros from mackerel last year,

What exactly does "the yielded 90 million" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brg

Gonna try Ballycotton later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Chavways wrote: »
    Its been hit and miss in black head the last few days.loads caught on monday and very few today

I had 12 at the lighthouse in about 20 minutes yesterday evening. Didnt hang about too long because the sea wasnt being very nice and I didnt want to be found washed up in spiddal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Skerries is almost unfishable, always about 15 people on the harbour (mainly the same foreigners day after day) and it leaves fúck all room for other people to fish, i can remember the days me and my da would have that harbour to ourselves now it's almost impossible to get a spot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 misefein

A complete waste of time. Some very small fish there which have to be thrown back. Seals in great number. Will rob from your line as you're reeling in. You will sometimes foul hook the soandsos themselves necessitating cutting your line and losing your trace. I know people who have had their rods broken. Seals are a vermin around the coast at this time and the authorities should cull as a matter of urgency.

Interesting the word the French have for seals - phoques. I kid you not. Stocks of mackerel are at a dangerously low level thanks to Icelanders taking about 130000 tonnes last year.

Pollack gone from Clogherhead area and also codling this past five or so years thanks to the said phoques.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

misefein wrote: »
    A complete waste of time. Some very small fish there which have to be thrown back. Seals in great number. Will rob from your line as you're reeling in. You will sometimes foul hook the soandsos themselves necessitating cutting your line and losing your trace. I know people who have had their rods broken. Seals are a vermin around the coast at this time and the authorities should cull as a matter of urgency.

Interesting the word the French have for seals - phoques. I kid you not. Stocks of mackerel are at a dangerously low level thanks to Icelanders taking about 130000 tonnes last year.

Pollack gone from Clogherhead area and also codling this past five or so years thanks to the said phoques.

I'am a Clogher local and fished the head and the strand quite a bit over the years and had noticed a big decrease in fish numbers.
    I remenber fishing around the head 8/9 years ago and it was full of pollack and codling. You'd be lucky to get a crab now!!
    Seals do need a culling big time. They are getting well feed from un wanted by catch of returning trawlers and the population has gone up.
    9 summers ago there was a family of otters living around the head for the summer, never ever seen it again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭karlth

misefein wrote: »
    Stocks of mackerel are at a dangerously low level thanks to Icelanders taking about 130000 tonnes last year.

And not Norway that takes 180000 tonnes or the EU that takes around 400.000 tonnes?

The reason stocks are low near Ireland is because the Mackerel has moved into warmer Icelandic waters. Sea temperature has risen slightly and the Mackerel seems to follow that along with the fact that it gains around 40% of its weight there as well.

503543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Today we have a north west wind of 15 knotts - and hight tide at 12 lunch time on the south west coast... whats the best time to fish?

Would it be from 11 -14.00?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Had a very successful day in bullock last week. 3 out on a boat and about 40 between us. That and some very large pollock from around the island at killiney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Has anybody gone to Hook Hd or Slade for mackerel.

Was very poor past few years.
    7-8 years ago they were all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

just spent the last week shore fishing up and down from mornington to clogherhead..
    there were 4 mackerel caught for the whole week.
    Clogherhead for the last few years has died a death from the pier as the amount of large seals around is unreal,i counted 9 between harbor and outside pier wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,731 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Heading to Skerries for the first high tide in the morning. Any reports on what the fishing has been like recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Heading to Skerries for the first high tide in the morning. Any reports on what the fishing has been like recently?

You've probably already gone but i was there yesterday morning and there was 2 caught between about 10 lads over 3 hours, that blow of northerly wind yesterday fúcked the fishing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Could I ask if using white, coloured, flashy or shrimp rigs depends on the time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jaxy

hi am new here, was in ballycotton in cork last two days... hour or so before high tide....place is alive with mackerel... i pulled 4 in my first cast.... stayed about 45 mins and had 10.... plenty for me.... guy next to me had 35 in his bag in 2 hours.... and similar stories all over the pier .....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah I like this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

haybob wrote: »
    Could I ask if using white, coloured, flashy or shrimp rigs depends on the time of day

Best feather pattern from macks is white feather with a red head, will out fish all colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

jaxy wrote: »
    hi am new here, was in ballycotton in cork last two days... hour or so before high tide....place is alive with mackerel... i pulled 4 in my first cast.... stayed about 45 mins and had 10.... plenty for me.... guy next to me had 35 in his bag in 2 hours.... and similar stories all over the pier .....

Great! Been waiting months for a good report for cork! Was going to head to cobh this evening but thankfully I spotted your post so will hit ballycotton! Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jaxy

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Great! Been waiting months for a good report for cork! Was going to head to cobh this evening but thankfully I spotted your post so will hit ballycotton! Thanks for the heads up

no prob....enjoy... let us know how you get on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement