Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferry to France cost?

• 08-09-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I'm sure this has already been covered but can anyone give me a general idea as to how much it would cost to get to france in a motorhome with 2 adults leaving early july and returning late august 2010?
    Thanks a lot for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If the prices stay the same as this year then probably around €800 return on Irish ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Thanks a lot that doesnt sound too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

Donal94 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot that doesnt sound too bad

It sounds bloody awful to me. the joys of living on an island

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

stapeler wrote: »
    If the prices stay the same as this year then probably around €800 return on Irish ferries.
    is the minimum at that time of the year iv seen it at that time for 1500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

We paid around €1100 for a return trip from Rosslare to Roscoff with irish Ferries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How is it so much? I'm looking online now and it's 70 for myself and the car, not much more for a motorhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dory wrote: »
    How is it so much? I'm looking online now and it's 70 for myself and the car, not much more for a motorhome.
    season. summer holidays people off so they put up the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

This year, the ferry prices just after schools were out (beginning of July) was over 1800 for 2 Adults & 2 kids, Rosslare to Cherbourg in January, but by about May, this had come down by over 40% due to the lack of bookings. We're hoping for something similar next year and will be holding off till the nerves give out to grab the best deal.

We'll also be looking at leaving just before the schools "officially" break up ;), cos the difference is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

zoltar_boi wrote: »
    This year, the ferry prices just after schools were out (beginning of July) was over 1800 for 2 Adults & 2 kids, Rosslare to Cherbourg in January, but by about May, this had come down by over 40% due to the lack of bookings. We're hoping for something similar next year and will be holding off till the nerves give out to grab the best deal.

We'll also be looking at leaving just before the schools "officially" break up ;), cos the difference is amazing!

I agree, around January we got our usual €1100ish quote so we didn't bother booking. We left it until two weeks before travelling and price came in at €777 (included a 5% discount) for two adults & two kids in a two star cabin in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

thats absolutly ridiculous money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

We usually go Land-bridge, Much Cheaper, Takes about the same amount of time, and allows a stop off in London (Chrystal Palace site in London) or a bit of sightseeing/ Shopping on way back.

Only Downside is the extra miles to be driven, but it is all motorway, travel at night and the journey goes quickly.

Now that Sterling is so low it should be even cheaper. Best is Dover Calais, dozens of ferries. Watch the cross channel prices as sometimes Sea-France is cheaper, than P&O. If you are heading south may then be worth traveling through Luxembourg and Germany and thus avoiding French tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Thanks for all the replies, the land bridge idea sounds good what could one expect to pay for that at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 18 atb

Donal94 wrote: »
    I'm sure this has already been covered but can anyone give me a general idea as to how much it would cost to get to france in a motorhome with 2 adults leaving early july and returning late august 2010?
    Thanks a lot for any advice.
    hope u are not taking your pets as depending on size 90 euro returne small dog 140 euro big dog crazy price and a rip off

Advertisement