Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

deer poaching

• 25-11-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Lamping of deer gone crazy again in the slievebloom mountains.back to square one again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

camoman1 wrote: »
    Lamping of deer gone crazy again in the slievebloom mountains.back to square one again

Same around Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Same around Tipp
    And Galway .

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

camoman1 wrote: »

The numbers seem to be down that's for sure. Was talking to a lad the other nite he was telling me there was a few lads in around his place last week told him they got 6 altogether.I asked him were they using the lamp and he said he didn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

Up my with dogs and rifles gone beyond a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4 camoman1

These lads that are lamping deer in laois need to be caught before they injure or kill somebody while shooting into the darkness.they seem to be operating with no regard or risk of being caught. Thought the rangers were on top of this problem, I know its no easy task but if its left to carry on it will spread everywhere and effect everyone, and the deer population well.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I shoot around that area, and deer numbers are decent. I believe the problem lies on "the other side" of the Slieve Blooms.

I've gotten reports from farmers in the area that at night they see lamps in the distance, and hear dogs being ran. The rangers are/were on regular enough patrol, but with two (i think that is all there is) of them it's no easy task. Other issues include luck. The range could be up there a few times a week and miss the one time these lads are out. Also they are well organised (poachers). They use a lamp in the distance to draw the attention of the rangers, if they know they're there, and when the ranger goes to check it out the other group acts.

I've spent a couple of nights up there (no guns obviously) with the lamp and have seen no lights or dogs. Again this could be due to bad timing or the wrong nights. However it's only a matter of time before the poachers dry up their own area and move across so it's not a problem i can risk ignoring. The only saving grace is in the last two seasons all the farmers have banned everyone from their land bar myself and one friend (his family own land). They have given me instructions that anyone else on the land is a trespasser and can be reported. So i don;t need to worry about wasting rangers/Gardaí time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

lamping is bad in roscommon too.only after getting a new permission in slieve blooms off a sound farmer.have to call next week to him to get the full show of the land.hoping its not badly poached

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

Tipp is riddled, I work with a girl living near Cahir and they are sick of hearing shots going off at night. Haven't even bothered going over that direction this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭stef22

Galway is very bad for poaching. Every time i go for a stalk and meet locals, they tell me about shots being fired at nights. And the poachers do not seem to be afraid about anything or anybody. One local told me that when he goes for his morning walk he very often see blood and guts on the side of the road.
    Another one told me that he regularly pick up dead deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

I shoot East Clare and North Tipp and both are being lamped all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Kerry is riddled - makes you wonder why I give out bottles of whiskey and sit in kitchens entertaining people over bad cups of tea just to secure shooting when the same night guys are shooting the S***T out of the permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭luvhuntin

I don't deny there is a problem with Deer poaching but how do know all the lamping and shooting at night is from people shooting Deer. In my opinion there's more people shooting foxes than ever before and a lot of people are jumping on the band wagon about poaching. The other thing that gets on my goat down where I'm from is one local whos constantly on social media about how the poachers have his permissions ruined is actually one of the biggest poachers around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

luvhuntin wrote: »
    The other thing that gets on my goat down where I'm from is one local whos constantly on social media about how the poachers have his permissions ruined is actually one of the biggest poachers around?

Have you done something about it?

The Rangers need all the help they can get, report him...
    Give the Rangers all information they need i.e Name, Car Reg, Address, where he Hunts, pattern of Hunting, Game Dealer used and all the same details of his little Minions.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

I don't deny there is a problem with Deer poaching but how do know all the lamping and shooting at night is from people shooting Deer. In my opinion there's more people shooting foxes than ever before and a lot of people are jumping on the band wagon about poaching. The other thing that gets on my goat down where I'm from is one local whos constantly on social media about how the poachers have his permissions ruined is actually one of the biggest poachers around?

I shoot foxes by night as do a lot of locals, i can assure you that the vast majority of us are not basing our opinions of deer poaching on the sight of a lamp up the mountain - silly comment!!!

The Aussie wrote: »
    Have you done something about it?

Give the Rangers all information they need i.e Name, Car Reg, Address, where he Hunts, pattern of Hunting, Game Dealer used and all the same details of his little Minions.

All done. Keep an eye out and hopefully it will be reported soon

I shoot foxes by night as do a lot of locals, i can assure you that the vast majority of us are not basing our opinions of deer poaching on the sight of a lamp up the mountain - silly comment!!!

I shoot foxes all year round. I also shoot Deer. I ring the Gardai to tell them Im out on a couple of permissions as they were constantly called when people seen lamps in the fields. Wake up lad Im not denying there is a problem with Deer poaching

Kerry is riddled - makes you wonder why I give out bottles of whiskey and sit in kitchens entertaining people over bad cups of tea just to secure shooting when the same night guys are shooting the S***T out of the permission.

I presume the fact that you also shoot foxes along with other locals at night that you have all the information needed about these guys to have gone to the proper authorities and sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

There is a certain minority of people poaching deer, some unlucky person will be caught and a good example should be made of them, we all need to keep an eye out and report people poaching unfortunately some genuine fox shooters will be innocently reported.

They will be but as long as everythings in order you've nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 camoman1

With regards to people lamping foxes, thats fine I lamp my fair share for the club. But all my deer permissions are never lamped for foxes except when the farmer needs them shot in the lambing season. I think lamping foxes where theres deer is tricky and other methods might be a better way to go.i know for a fact that the lamping in the areas I know of are being poached for deer.just a shame genuine foxers are bearing the brunt of their behaviour.u need to take into account that deer are in the areas that u lamp foxes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

It's everywhere an i don't think it will ever stop if anything it will get worse terrible shame for our sport

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't deny there is a problem with Deer poaching but how do know all the lamping and shooting at night is from people shooting Deer.
    Two reasons:
    There are literally no foxes on the permissions i have, and the rangers patrol.
    The land owners are extremely strict with who they give permission to with some only granting me and one other permission so regardless of whether they are foxing or not they have no reason to be on the land with a lamp.
    The other thing that gets on my goat down where I'm from is one local whos constantly on social media about how the poachers have his permissions ruined is actually one of the biggest poachers around?
    It's not just social media, and i agree some of the worst offenders are those that are legal. Another reason i'm not on Facebook, twatter, or whatever other fecking trendy thing is out there.
    The Aussie wrote: »
    Correct.
    fabwing wrote: »
    ........we all need to keep an eye out and report people poaching unfortunately some genuine fox shooters will be innocently reported.
    I have been stopped myself a few times when out foxing or even checking lands (with no guns). I co-operate, have nothing to fear and welcome/volunteer any inspection. It's a small price to pay if i know the rangers are doing their bit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

jagged wrote: »
    Tipp is riddled, I work with a girl living near Cahir and they are sick of hearing shots going off at night. Haven't even bothered going over that direction this year.

Cahir is swamped with lads shooting deer day and night even the legit hunters are falling over each other in areas wont be deer left in the place before long
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    Cahir is swamped with lads shooting deer day and night even the legit hunters are falling over each other in areas wont be deer left in the place before long
    Tommy
    It's all down to greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Definitely down in numbers this year, nearly half way through the season and I have one taken, I'd normally be at 3 now, as my numbers work out about one a month, 6 per season. I will be lucky if I get one more before then end of the year.

But hey, we will botch and moan, and yet do nothing about it, the only thing to be done at this point is proactive anti poaching campaign and tarfettinf of the revenue and money making side of selling deer.

I'm almost at the point where i struggle to even get the motivation to head out for a shot at this stage, the only thing that has me still doing it is to get some down time !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    Tommy
    Witnessed & heard all the carry on down that side while foxing for a Landowner. NPWS was contacted along with Gardai (Guards disinterested) the (Ranger informed landowner he had no budget for diesel).You are very correct before long nothing in Deer terms will be left.I shot a young pricket there couple weeks ago.Down there twice since nothing around.Going to stick to the foxes that side of the world in the spring .

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

Iv being shooting in cahir now for 3 years day and night and never seen any body in or around the same land that I'm shooting and there is a nice few deer around too I did have a lamp shine up at me from the road one time but thats all iv seen

Im not seeing any drop in numbers on some of my permissions but on one in particular it looks like theres literally no Deer left until I was out on the national park trying to herd up some loose sheep with the land owner and we seen more Deer than I have ever seen. We came to the conclusion that because he lets so many shoot Deer in the day and then has the fox shooters up at night the Deer dont have a chance to come down any further. He's delighted because theres no Deer coming down and wants every fox in the place shot which suits him but its no good for the Deer shooter but what can you say-its his land? The only time I get a Deer on it is late January/Febuary when its extremely cold and usually snows and nobody else has been up for a few weeks so this may be another reason people think numbers are down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭vincentf

I had been watching a permission in Waterford and had seen 6 different deer most evenings. The evening before the 1st sept I caught a poacher lining up to take a shot, luckily the deer vacated the field in time.recorded proceedings on phone camera.rang gardai. Waited bout half hour till nearest station replied. Nothing came of it, never heard anything from the gard i spoke to. Said he couldn't do anything as he didn't fire a shot.
    I was told the gardai don't respond to calls of poachers with guns as they need the armed response unit to take on this task, ordinary gardai can't take on lads with guns. If the armed response unit turn up and a lad is lamping foxes they get pissed off etc...
    Farmers on my permissions dealing with poachers annually.
    One farmer caught some lads running dogs and he said he knew the little ****ers.
    Waterford is poached,lamped with guns and dogs constantly and I've been told lads are local and from surrounding villages.
    I've no faith in the npws or gardai as there is a lack of man power and resources to tackle this head on nationally.
    I was told one way to help is by placing hidden cameras at positions where vehicles could be filmed and lads caught loading deer. Getting evidence that will stick in court etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

snipe49 wrote: »
    It's all down to greed.

No love for the lampers, but the greed I have seen in hunters , actually let's call them cullers is far worse, in my opinion.

How many on the board know someone that is shooting triple digit deer?

I still think deer in Ireland are going to go the way the fish did during the Celtic Tiger heyday. Islands need to be more conservative than continents. Doubt many deer are going to swim to Eire.

Blame and greed, there's plenty to go around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement