Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you from Blanchardstown

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

god how old are people on this thread hahaha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

The Friday night "GAA" at Russell Park..an institution in it's day,if you didn't get tickets and get in on a friday night, you may aswell go home and watch Gaybo with the folks as everyone in blanch would be in there..great nights

...No name club at Brigids church..

...Godleys clothes shop in Blanch village where the old AIB used to be opposite Greyhound...

the big traveller site where the shopping centre is now,it was huge..

..remember when the new N3 was being built and the massive earthmovers that were going across the snugboro road..

..the old "boreen" road to Clonee when clonee was the countryside and just had it's 5 pubs ( i'm from Blanchardstown and live there now..!")

..anyone from the corduff remember the big mansion in the park in corduff..was burned down on sunday morning, remember that well..

..anyone else from the Corduff / Edgewood Lawn / Brookhaven area remember the friday nights down on the bridge in the valley..used to be 100s of us down there..

those were the days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

mysons wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the snow we got in "I think it was"81 Cars,Buses,Trucks abandoned everywhere,roads like ice rings.
    The drifts that big we could jump out my mothers bedroom window(ok so not that big).
    My brother in law lived in Godamendy and we walked up to his house a couple of days later and was that snow deep but it was great fun.

I remember my dad had to dig a tunnel between the back door and the coal bunker, it was about a foot taller than my head!!

Ah, the memories! This is a great thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Mod request: can this great thread be stickied please

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

thomasj wrote: »
    Mod request: can this great thread be stickied please

It's an active enough thread at the moment so there's no real need to sticky it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mysons

Bulmers wrote: »
    The Friday night "GAA" at Russell Park..an institution in it's day,if you didn't get tickets and get in on a friday night, you may aswell go home and watch Gaybo with the folks as everyone in blanch would be in there..great nights

...No name club at Brigids church..

...Godleys clothes shop in Blanch village where the old AIB used to be opposite Greyhound...

the big traveller site where the shopping centre is now,it was huge..

..remember when the new N3 was being built and the massive earthmovers that were going across the snugboro road..

..the old "boreen" road to Clonee when clonee was the countryside and just had it's 5 pubs ( i'm from Blanchardstown and live there now..!")

..anyone from the corduff remember the big mansion in the park in corduff..was burned down on sunday morning, remember that well..

..anyone else from the Corduff / Edgewood Lawn / Brookhaven area remember the friday nights down on the bridge in the valley..used to be 100s of us down there..

those were the days...

Do you remember the dance nite in Corduff House,pay as you went in and the door on the left with the record player in the corner.The highlite of the nite was dancing around in a circle to the rolling stones satisfaction.

The shop were Mace is now was called Ginnels my wife went to school with one of them. She also sold news papers outside Bridget's church on a Sunday morning.

We watched Ireland beat England in Euro 88 in the Roselawn and then watched David O Leary score the winning peno in Italia 90 at the same pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Hey Bulmers, I still have my ID from the No Name Club !! Didn't they show movies at that sometimes?? I have very fond memories of Godleys, my Mother bought me my first pair of jeans there. I can still remember how fantastic I though I looked in my brand new Sasparillas :D

Who remembers Whelps, the "disco bar" (really just a section near the ladies loo where the "young people" could sit together) in the Greyhound? And the bands on Tuesday night?? And Heartbreak/Luke Shorts/City Limits at the Racecourse? Oh man... I am sooo old..... :(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

god i would of loved to see blanch grow up:( sounds like it got alot done to it :)

im glad the ground is gone , it was a soite hole !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Does anyone remember when they used to show movies on a Sat/Sun in Francis Xaviers?
    Saw Jaws there, scared half the audience silly

Also remember only been able to get Tip Tops to drink in the place.

Is Flemo still knocking around?

R

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You've covered almost everything I can remember.

When the N3 was the Navan road and ran in front of the Castleknock Inn, and through Blanch. The little bike shop opposite the Margarine Factory. (12th Lock). Blanch Disco's. There was a cross road at coolmine cross.

Not Blanch, but the Quays went in the opposite direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

I remember Chats, where Hung Wun is in Roselawn now. And Seems and Stitches. Had totally forgotten that there was a video shop there!!

And when you could walk up the laneways between all the Delwoods.

And the shop was around at Centrepoint, the sweetshop that was in kind of an n shape - they sold 5p ATeam crisps!! Anyone remember the name?

Was a bike shop in behind Centrepoint too?! Lovely guy ran it?! Or was it down by the canal somewhere? It was tucked away behind something?!

Crossing over into Carpenterstown territory now, but back then it was all part of Blanch - but there was a shop where the creche is just beyond Coolmine trainstation on the right - it sold firewood and peat and flowers and stuff, but, it also sold Xmas Trees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Anyone remember the "mucky path" ?
    It was behind coolmine park and glenville and was a quick short cut to Xaviers
    All closed off now

R

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Ahh, memory lane ladies and gents. No matter where I go in the world - and I've travelled far - nothing quite beats arriving back in Blanch village and feeling at home. A lot has changed, but plenty remains the same.

The place too is now so big that there's a lot more people to experience it, though I daresay perceptions will be different all around - if you grew up in 'old blanch' you likely were within easy reach of spots like the canal, where I know plenty of kids don't ever venture today, for example.

But on the flipside, you've got (if you're young) a massive and varied area to grow up in and around these days, too.

The years have been kind to those who live in Blanch, with all that came to work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I've lived here for 14 years but I'm originally from the south side.
    My husband's family moved into the first house finished in Dromheath, Ladyswell, in about 1982/3. His mother is still there.

I've been in the area for decades, but I don't have the nostalgia some of you have for the area. I much preferred it when it was smaller and still a bit of the village feel about it. Its become a bit of a faceless housing estate now with no real center. I've only stayed because We've always had family in the area.

There was a Video store (and for the young reading this i did say VIDEO)up in Coolmine Close beside Foo luk Chinese anyone remember the name but it was way before ChartBusters in the village so i think it was the first in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

"There was a Video store (and for the young reading this i did say VIDEO)up in Coolmine Close beside Foo luk Chinese anyone remember the name but it was way before ChartBusters in the village so i think it was the first in the area"

Brendan Bright owned it.

He also sold and repaired TV's and videos, etc which he still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Born and raised in Blanch :D

I remember the two old video shops, the library in Roselawn Shopping Centre, cycling up to watch the Centre being built :)

Went to Xaviers (live by the closed off lane way to the school, the "mucky path") and then to Coolmine.

Reading through this thread has brought up memories for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Wow this thread is bringing back memories....!

Sargeant Peppers at Superquin

The bakery next to Roselawn Library

What was the shop next to Noel Reids at Roselawn???? I remember my sister getting a hula hoop there for 99p and I saved for ages to buy a space hopper for 7.99.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Murt10 wrote: »
    Brendan Bright owned it.
    He also sold and repaired TV's and videos, etc which he still does.

Is Brendan Bright still on the go? That's good to know, I got of TV and video repairs done by him about 10-15 yrs ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I remember when the River Road ran all the way from Blanch village to Rathoath Road at Finglas, cycled it many times. There was an entrance along the River Road that brought you into the Abbotstown lands, and you could cut through there to get to Cappagh or Snugborough areas. Think that entrance is now under the M50!

Ah yep I used to love Sargent peppers! They made the nicest burgers and chips! Used to go there every Saturday!

I wonder what they did with all the memorabilia?

Gaspode wrote: »
    I remember when the River Road ran all the way from Blanch village to Rathoath Road at Finglas, cycled it many times. There was an entrance along the River Road that brought you into the Abbotstown lands, and you could cut through there to get to Cappagh or Snugborough areas. Think that entrance is now under the M50!

I remember as a kid taking many a long walk home from finglas that way when I was short the bus fare!

Wow this thread is bringing back memories....!

Sargeant Peppers at Superquin

The bakery next to Roselawn Library

What was the shop next to Noel Reids at Roselawn???? I remember my sister getting a hula hoop there for 99p and I saved for ages to buy a space hopper for 7.99.

In later years was it tuthills? Though i don't think that was the original name when it was a proper toy shop. I remember staring at the Dinky stuff in there, and getting Matchbox cars when they came in little cardboard boxes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Born and raised in Blanch :D

I remember the two old video shops, the library in Roselawn Shopping Centre, cycling up to watch the Centre being built :)

Went to Xaviers (live by the closed off lane way to the school, the "mucky path") and then to Coolmine.

Reading through this thread has brought up memories for me.

I was your neighbour so :) I lived at the end of Coolmine Park/Glenville Road

In terms of secondary schools it was

Blakestown
    Coolmine

Riversdale and hartstown came along later didn't they?

And then we had those who went to schools like declans, o'connells, Dominican convent mount sackville etc I remember seeing dozens of
    school buses every schoolday taking kids to these schools

So which school did ye go to if from the area?

What memories have ye got?

What did coolmine pupils think of blakestown pupils?

What did blakestown pupils think of coolmine pupils and the blazer jackets?

What did coolmine pupils think of wearing the blazer jackets?

Did anyone here sit the entrance exams for declans etc?

As were coming up to that time of the year again.....

Do ye remember the little school book store in the village beside the old dab store and aberakebabra you'd be trying to sell your old school books in there as well as getting new ones.

Does anyone remember going horse racing down in the Phoenix Park or the horse races in the Phoenix Park.
    Does anyone have any photos of the races or the race day ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Went to the races in the Park once, I'd say about 20 years ago. Not really into racing myself, but through a connection we had we spent the whole day in the owners and trainers bar, which was pretty nice.

Advertisement