Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sick as a Dog

• 25-10-2014 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

I'm fighting in exactly three weeks and for the past two months I've been engaging in my usual pre-fight training. However, I've been struck down with a bastard of a cold as of yesterday and have been limited to very light cardio training. My nose is running like a tap, my throat's wrecked and I feel as weak as a kitten. Have any of ye had this happen reasonably close to a fight before and if so how did ye handle it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Sorry to hear it bro. Rest and getting fit and healthy again will serve you much better than trying to force yourself to continue training. Your aerobic fitness won't suffer too much from 1 week out and 2 weeks is just about enough time to build explosivity back up again.

It would boil down to weight if I were in your shoes. Will you still be able to make weight, if yes then get on with it, if not then let the promoter know as soon as possible as it might be possible for your opponent (who should also have been training hard) to get rematched.

Hope you get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm well within the weight limit so thankfully no worries on that front. I went back training last night and I'm still blocked with catarrh. My lungs felt the size of tennis balls, I just couldn't get the air into myself. Thanks for your comments above and I hope to be fighting fit come the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I would say lay off training and rest up and get better. Training while you are sick will just make things worse and its not cool to pass stuff onto your team mates.

Few fighters go into a fight 100% this is an ideal scenario that rarely happens. Most people have something wrong or a niggling injury . If you have the desire to fight you will, and just do the best you can with what you got.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just some info that might help, I used to constantly get sinus infections, about 10 a year and would also get quite chesty and I started using a natural remedy called Plantago and its unbelievable. You can get it in most health food shops or from Amazon and it really helps clear up the sinuses.

Hope all went well anyhow and as stated above, don't train if you are sick because you may end up worse... 2 years ago I tore my cruciate when I went training and wasn't feeling great. You just don't have the same level of focus when you feel like sh1t and you make stupid mistakes that you wouldn't make normally.

Bang on 75kg now lads and feeling fit as a fiddle. More importantly the timing is coming together nicely and I'm just resting up in anticipation of Friday night. I'll let ye know how I get on anyway and thanks for the advice. Looking forward to a 1-0-0 record in the unlicensed!

• Advertisement

Won a majority decision and boxed your mans ears off for a lot of the fight. I was giving up eight kilos and more experience so was delighted to get the win. The small gloves make a huge difference and I managed to cut him nicely in the eye in the first round. All in all a great experience fighting in front of a thousand odd screaming people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Congrats! If you get a video lash it up :)

Advertisement