Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Fognini playing Murray now and Murray is 4-0 up. Dont think Fognini is interested.

Another win for Wozniacki today over Kvitova. Sharapove however had a bit of a nightmare it seems, she wins the first against Radwanska 7-5, she is 5-1 up in the second set and loses it in a tie beark. This cost her a place in the semi final. Radwanska advances to the semi final because Wozniacki beat Kvitova. Still shocked at Sharapova losing a set after being 5-1 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Really surpised that Sharapova was so terrible this week. Was expecting her to reach the SFs. Fair play to Wozniacki though!! She's played fantastically in the 3 matches. Unlucky for Kvitova not to get through.

Ivanovic has won the first set against Halep. Will this group come down to sets won/lost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Halep needs to win a set or Serena is out. I wonder...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Looked like Simona wasn't exactly giving 100% but Ana could barely hit a ball...

• Advertisement

Serena owes Simona dinner.:p Hard luck for Ivanovic though...she wins 2 matches and still gets eliminated.

SFs are set now. Williams vs Wozniacki & Halep vs. Radwanska.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, can't believe Sharapova only had to win one more game from 5-1 in the second set to advance to the semis and she messed up! After she got her act together in Beijing I thought she'd do well here. Semi final lineup is a lot worse without her. She's certainly a question mark heading into 2015.

Wow, can't believe Sharapova only had to win one more game from 5-1 in the second set to advance to the semis and she messed up! After she got her act together in Beijing I thought she'd do well here. Semi final lineup is a lot worse without her. She's certainly a question mark heading into 2015.

I don't think the lineup is worse without her. She played terribly and didn't look to be at her best. Halep probably would have beaten her in the SFs if they met and she definitely would have lost to Serena.

I'm looking forward to the semis. Hope the men's tour finals will be as exciting as the women's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Agreed. She's my fave but this year has been a disaster for her. Clay aside, and one or two half decent hard courts she's willed her way to more wins than she deserved.

Sharapova's fight always impresses me. Just wasn't good enough this time though. To be honest, I always thought her shoulder injury was more serious than what we've been told. I don't see her continuing in tennis til her mid 30s like Serena or Roger.

• Advertisement

^ I have been wondering this year about her shoulder. Her serving, especially the 2nd half of the year, has been worse than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I dunno what was more bizarre, the performance of Nadal today or his decision to bother playing this week and especially today:confused:

Probably the love of the money. :P

Coric is clearly a talent and beating such a name will generate headlines, but anyone half decent would have taken Rafa.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Unlucky for Kvitova not to get through.

Unlucky? Hell no.

She played three matches, won one and lost the other 2 pretty quickly in straight sets. No sympathy at all.

And I love Petra to bits btw.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I dunno what was more bizarre, the performance of Nadal today or his decision to bother playing this week and especially today:confused:

Probably the love of the money. :P

Coric is clearly a talent and beating such a name will generate headlines, but anyone half decent would have taken Rafa.

He's confirmed he's not playing Paris or London now. Having his appendix out early next month. Does make you wonder why he bothered playing at all once he announced he had the medical issue. You can't imagine he's that hard up for cash.

He's confirmed he's not playing Paris or London now. Having his appendix out early next month. Does make you wonder why he bothered playing at all once he announced he had the medical issue. You can't imagine he's that hard up for cash.

Hasn't he dropped Basel before, maybe he felt they wouldn't pay him so much next time he he cancelled again? Still with his wealth why would he care?

Go play Valencia instead like the rest of the Spaniards. :P

Coric v Goffin is not the semi final I was expecting but I think we will learn more about Coric in that game than we did against Nadal, and yep I know that would have sounded mental not to long ago. :o

Federer v Dimi has been nice but it hasn't quite taken off like I was hoping. Early days though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »
    I don't think the lineup is worse without her. She played terribly and didn't look to be at her best. Halep probably would have beaten her in the SFs if they met and she definitely would have lost to Serena.

I'm looking forward to the semis. Hope the men's tour finals will be as exciting as the women's.
    ^ Agreed. She's my fave but this year has been a disaster for her. Clay aside, and one or two half decent hard courts she's willed her way to more wins than she deserved.

I don't think it's certain at all Sharapova would have lost to Halep, she's 5-0 against her, and the last time they played Sharapova hit over 50 errors and still Simona couldn't get the job done.

I know Maria didn't really deserve a place in the semi's at all, but Sharapova-Halep is a much more appealing matchup than Radwanska-Halep imo.

The prospect of a Serena-Halep rematch in the final is very appealing though. Would be incredible for Simona if she could do the double to win the WTA championships on her first try but I suspect Serena will be baying for blood :P

I know Maria didn't really deserve a place in the semi's at all, but Sharapova-Halep is a much more appealing matchup than Radwanska-Halep imo.

I'd prefer Aga-Simona tbh. Like you said, Halep has lost all her matches with Masha and had been playing well in some of those and still lost. The Aga-Simona record isn't as one-sided so it could prove to be a more interesting match.
    The prospect of a Serena-Halep rematch in the final is very appealing though. Would be incredible for Simona if she could do the double to win the WTA championships on her first try but I suspect Serena will be baying for blood :P

Would love to see Halep win it! Hopefully she can do the job again if she were to make it to the final and meet SW.:)

Such a shame Woz couldn't get the win over Serena, she pushed her so close. What a comeback for her this year though! She'll definitely be a contender in Australia.

Andy into another final, he'll surely make London now. Goffin keeps his great form going by reaching the Basel final, but I expect Federer will being him back down to Earth.

Looked like Simona wasn't exactly giving 100% but Ana could barely hit a ball...

Simona seriously regretting every trying at all.

6-3, 6-0 beatdown in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I will come back and eat this post if Nadal or Novak at 33 are half the player Federer is at the age.

• Advertisement

I reckon Nadal will be gone before 33. Too many injuries have plagued him over the years. Djokovic could still be around at Federer's age but less flexible!:pac:

I think Djokovic and Nadal still being around and winning at 33 depends more on who steps up in the next few years. There's loads of potential floating around in the ATP. Federer has only really had Rafa for most of his career competing with him and Djokovic for the last few years.
    If there's 5 or 6 of the "younger" players making moves over the next few years it will be harder to stay motivated and keep going at that age, especially if you're not winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

John.Icy wrote: »
    I will come back and eat this post if Nadal or Novak at 33 are half the player Federer is at the age.

I'd agree - not a chance Nadal will be around at 33. I'd say he barely has another two years left in him. He hasn't completed a full season (played 4 slams even) in quite some time. Think he might still win another 2 slams because I believe when he is 100% he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

What a final between Murray and Robredo, heroic effort from Andy! 3 titles in 5 weeks for him as well, what a turnaround :)

You have to feel for Robredo though, he's let slip 10 championship points against Murray the last 2 times they've played!!

Awesome match, feel for Tommy.

The reaction afterwards from him was fantastic. :P

https://vine.co/v/OhL35hgO9l9

or

[B05U5hZIAAEUBTT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

WaterLily. wrote: »
    What a final between Murray and Robredo, heroic effort from Andy! 3 titles in 5 weeks for him as well, what a turnaround :)

You have to feel for Robredo though, he's let slip 10 championship points against Murray the last 2 times they've played!!

Good win but tournaments Murray is winning are Mickey Mouse tournaments.

Good win but tournaments Murray is winning are Mickey Mouse tournaments.

Can't be a grand slam every week.

I think what most including me were worried he had lost his hunger earlier this year, he was so passive in some of his losses. Last few weeks he has been fantastic, today he really wanted the win.

Is he a Slam contender again? Dunno tbh, but nothing wrong with winning good competitions.

Valencia was strong enough this week, Ferrer always a tough nut to rack at home and Berdych was also here.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Awesome match, feel for Tommy.

The reaction afterwards from him was fantastic. :P

https://vine.co/v/OhL35hgO9l9

or

[B05U5hZIAAEUBTT.png

That's amazing :D

Fognini's been acting the clown again, except apparently this time the umpire initially refused to shake his hand!

• Advertisement

Fognini's been acting the clown again, except apparently this time the umpire initially refused to shake his hand!

Watched that match and was surprised that the Umpire didn't shake his hand. Fognini was doing his usurl giving out and slamming his racket done. He must have said something to the Umpire in italian and that was the reason for it. Then said on sky sports that another Umpire wouldn't shake his hand a couple ofrom months ago.

Advertisement