Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TOR Entry and Exit nodes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Tor network doubles in size every 2-2.5 years

Tor's total network bandwidth doubles at a darn impressive 13-14 months! Moore's Law, doubling every 18 months, is downright torpid by comparison.

relays’ mean bandwidth doubles about every two years.

Tor growth rates

Tor Data gets big Data'd.

Lots of Data out there needs that done to it.

And ya could put it all on one of these nice shiny new CDs (1000TB on a CD!)

Facebooks being buying up Blu-Rays/waiting on Sony/Panasonic to develop 300GB Discs (coming next year) for their new 80% more effecient Data Farms and along comes this.

Edit: HaHa

Ninja Edit 2: All the films ya could put on them....Piracy....Movie Industry would want to block them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

User error is the weak point of everything.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

User error is the weak point of everything.

You said it chief, we all remember how Dread Pirate Roberts was nabbed ; used a US based VPN who were promptly subpoenaed - honestly who is that stupid?!

You said it chief, we all remember how Dread Pirate Roberts was nabbed ; used a US based VPN who were promptly subpoenaed - honestly who is that stupid?!
    Hmm, I don't think it was ever that Recon, for the last few months the Authoritys have been saying it was a badly configured CAPTCHA set up by Dread himself that leaked Silk Roads IP address, but the latest is that's bull.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/10/the-he-said-she-said-of-how-the-fbi-found-silk-roads-servers/

So it's back to an unknown at the minute.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I don't think it was ever that Recon, for the last few months the Authoritys have been saying it was a badly configured CAPTCHA set up by Dread himself that leaked Silk Roads IP address, but the latest is that's bull.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/10/the-he-said-she-said-of-how-the-fbi-found-silk-roads-servers/

So it's back to an unknown at the minute.

Hi RF,

I only know what I read in the news, found this article on CNN :

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/04/world/americas/silk-road-ross-ulbricht/

It does make mention of the VPN but doesn't really specify how this was used to nab him. It seems he did have the sense at least to use an internet cafe.

Looks ideal! I think I'll make a donation. My only worry is that I like to use obfsproxy bridges to hide the fact I'm using tor in the first place. You wonder if this'll be an option here.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Would you care to give a dummies guide to the TOR browser? Does it really help for the average browser to keep everything out of reach? Does the blocking of Flash and RealPlayer block much useful interaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

RainyDay wrote: »
    Would you care to give a dummies guide to the TOR browser? Does it really help for the average browser to keep everything out of reach? Does the blocking of Flash and RealPlayer block much useful interaction?

I used it for the first time today, seems pretty clever in terms of masking your IP. Go to google.ie on your existing browser and type "my ip" and it'll show your IP from your home. Do the same within your tor browser and you'll see that it's completely different. Even the automatically added plugins like noscript and httpseverywhere would be useful outside of a tor browser. The video linked to earlier in the thread is about an hour long but inside the first few minutes tor is explained and should clear up any questions you have about it.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I used it for the first time today, seems pretty clever in terms of masking your IP. Go to google.ie on your existing browser and type "my ip" and it'll show your IP from your home. Do the same within your tor browser and you'll see that it's completely different. Even the automatically added plugins like noscript and httpseverywhere would be useful outside of a tor browser. The video linked to earlier in the thread is about an hour long but inside the first few minutes tor is explained and should clear up any questions you have about it.

Thanks, I watched the video. It explained what's going on under the hood, but didn't tell me much about the end user experience. I used SRWARE Iron browser in the past, having got recommendations about security, but found just too many glitches with fairly common sites for it to be usable. I'd love to hear other's experiences, about how it works for day to day browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

'Downloading Binaries From Random Unsecured Websites Still A Bad Idea'

Life ain't always empty.

You said it bro, I wouldn't mind but so many customers then call Tech Support and blame the computer...!

The way I explain to people to call in is as follows:

" Let me put it this way. I don't drive. I took some driving lessons when I was younger but wasn't very good at it and never tried again. I could even get behind the wheel of a Ferrari or even a Formula 1 racing car and the most likely thing that would happen is that I'd crash it into a wall.

But I couldn't blame THE CAR for the fact I don't know how to use it properly."

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks, I watched the video. It explained what's going on under the hood, but didn't tell me much about the end user experience. I used SRWARE Iron browser in the past, having got recommendations about security, but found just too many glitches with fairly common sites for it to be usable. I'd love to hear other's experiences, about how it works for day to day browsing.

I'm using Iron as my main browser since recently switching from Opera. I find it works great. didn't find a site....oh wait IIRC google streetview seems to have a problem. I also use Tor and even IE, for different purposes.

So I've installed TOR Browser, and the basic functionality is running. It was putting up some weird captcha screen before the destination website appeared, or perhaps the website host was putting up a weird captcha screen before the destination website appeared, but once I got through the captcha, I was fine.

Two issues arise;

1) Does boards.ie have some problem with TOR? It won't come up at all for me in TOR.
    2) Is there any point in using TOR with sites where registration or login is required, such as Boards or Facebook or gmail? Am I losing any benefit of anonymisation by logging in anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Boards doesn't allow tor traffic for whatever reason.

bedlam wrote: »
    You can thank Cloudflare for this, it's a pain in the ass but they claim to be actively trying to find a balance so Tor users are not constantly bombarded by these captchas.

Yes, access is blocked

Yes*, have a read of part one of this blog post

* as long at the connection to the site is over https.

Thanks, very helpful, I'll try the https://facebookcorewwwi.onion/ service tonight

• Advertisement

So, experiences so far;

Facebook works OK, though a bit sluggish in displaying photos. I get warning messages flagging up that I'm logging in from Berlin. Only problem is the links in alert emails still link to the non-TOR version, so I have to click into the old version if I use the email. FB videos don't work, presumably because they require Flash.

Donedeal doesn't work, for what they say is fraud prevention reasons. Mightytext.net doesn't work. Boards.ie doesn't work.

Politics.ie works, with the cloudfare captcha challenge first. Tumblr works OK. YouTube works OK.

I'm not convinced so far. It looks like I won't be able to use it as my default browser, so I'm not sure I'm motivated to have two browsers running all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

So, experiences so far;

Facebook works OK, though a bit sluggish in displaying photos. I get warning messages flagging up that I'm logging in from Berlin. Only problem is the links in alert emails still link to the non-TOR version, so I have to click into the old version if I use the email. FB videos don't work, presumably because they require Flash.

Donedeal doesn't work, for what they say is fraud prevention reasons. Mightytext.net doesn't work. Boards.ie doesn't work.

Politics.ie works, with the cloudfare captcha challenge first. Tumblr works OK. YouTube works OK.

I'm not convinced so far. It looks like I won't be able to use it as my default browser, so I'm not sure I'm motivated to have two browsers running all the time.

Hi Rainyday,

Have you tried to create a new Facebook account just over Tor yet? I'd like to see if it's possible to do one from scratch with an assumed name - of course technically we can't ever be anonymous on Facebook as you have to provide your real name!

Hi Rainyday,

Have you tried to create a new Facebook account just over Tor yet? I'd like to see if it's possible to do one from scratch with an assumed name - of course technically we can't ever be anonymous on Facebook as you have to provide your real name!

Nope, haven't tried that.

I was a bit surprised to find that Facebook don't seem to have joined the dots. While using the TOR version, I get warnings in the TOR version that I'm logging in from somewhere unusual, like Croatia. Wouldn't you think that they'd realise that if I'm using the TOR version, of course my logins are going to come from unusual locations.

And one more site for the blacklist of sites who blacklist TOR - thejournal.ie - why on earth would they be sensitive to login locations?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Boards doesn't allow tor traffic for whatever reason.

You can thank the trolls for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

I was a bit surprised to find that Facebook don't seem to have joined the dots. While using the TOR version, I get warnings in the TOR version that I'm logging in from somewhere unusual, like Croatia. Wouldn't you think that they'd realise that if I'm using the TOR version, of course my logins are going to come from unusual locations.

And they even have an onion address.

http://www.darknet.org.uk/2014/11/facebook-allows-tor-access-site/

https://facebookcorewwwi.onion

_Jumper_ wrote: »

Yep, it was the FB onion address I was using, which is why I was surprised to get warnings about logins from distant locations. And when I click the warning notification in the FB app on my phone, I get an Internet 'address not found' for an FB onion URL.

Yep, it was the FB onion address I was using, which is why I was surprised to get warnings about logins from distant locations. And when I click the warning notification in the FB app on my phone, I get an Internet 'address not found' for an FB onion URL.

Ah right, just a gimmick from them so.

And one more site for the blacklist of sites who blacklist TOR - thejournal.ie - why on earth would they be sensitive to login locations?

Agree that does seem a bit unusual... Maybe they just don't want to run two parallel versions of Facebook, still it seems a pain!

Of course it was always possible to use only exit nodes for a certain country by editing the torrc file but this has privacy implications by restricting you to a certain network.

Also if you're going to say that you have to have a real name and mobile number to create a Facebook account, I'm not sure I see the advantage over a social network like Diaspora which requires neither and can be accessed over tor also.

Whoever would have guessed? :-D

• Advertisement

Hi Rainyday,

Depends on the country.

Advertisement