Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beating NSA and GCHQ spying: A good start (?)

Options
  • 15-03-2014 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

A few weeks ago I read about Angela Merkel announcing plans to setup an EU-wide communications network, in order to hitback against the NSA and GCHQ spying.

This was the first and only (?) core response from EU, and comes as no surprise since Angela Merkel was targetted from these agencies..

Germany has very strict privacy laws, which even makes it hard to conduct a forensics investigation. One can imagine how much more "touched" the country is, when it comes to all these news.

What are your impressions about this? Have you heard any other official response or move from Brussels or European countries?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

bd0101 wrote: »

Germany has very strict privacy laws, which even makes it hard to conduct a forensics investigation.

except when its German police installing Trojans on the systems of their own citizens of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bd0101

LoLth wrote: »
    except when its German police installing Trojans on the systems of their own citizens of course....

I agree. Means are twisted and meaning is void..

Why we should NEVER trust their word: Take for example the recent visit of Merkel to US last May - this proves the point that there is not a slightest progress in American attitude or German acceptance when it comes to information security and peoples privacy. Not to mention that especially right now, with the situation in Ukraine being the perfect pretext for the US, they will keep on their illegal practices and ignore any world wide or EU concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bd0101

bd0101 wrote: »
    I agree. Means are twisted and meaning is void..

Why we should NEVER trust their word: Take for example the recent visit of Merkel to US last May - this proves the point that there is not a slightest progress in American attitude or German acceptance when it comes to information security and peoples privacy. Not to mention that especially right now, with the situation in Ukraine being the perfect pretext for the US, they will keep on their illegal practices and ignore any world wide or EU concerns.

I have found a great link to the cooperation between the German and US secret services:

spiegel.de/international/germany/the-german-bnd-and-american-nsa-cooperate-more-closely-than-thought-a-975445.html

It is interesting to see that they had whitelisted certain websites, for which they would not collect data. I assume all the rest of monitored traffic was "within scope"? ...

Corrupt governments are hand-shaking and share our lives; each and every one of us should take action and protect their right to privacy!

Advertisement