Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small fault in laptop has left me with about €300 worth of just parts. What to do?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey There,
    My hinge broke on my laptop. I decided to do a bit of D.I.Y. by opening it up and gluing it. Long story short, something went wrong and smoke began coming out of it. When I cooled it down I decided there wasn't much else to do but sell the parts.

What I'm wondering is what would be the best thing to do here, sell the parts? Bin it? From what I understand you can't use any of the laptop parts in a desktop. It's an Acer Aspire by 5741a by the way

Any help is appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SeanIAm wrote: »
    My hinge broke on my laptop. I decided to do a bit of D.I.Y. by opening it up and gluing it.
    You did switch it off and take the battery out before doing this, didn't you?
    Long story short, something went wrong and smoke began coming out of it.
    Smoke? Holy fcuk man, what on earth did you do?
    What I'm wondering is what would be the best thing to do here, sell the parts? Bin it? From what I understand you can't use any of the laptop parts in a desktop.
    The harddrive could be used in a desktop, but meh. Is there any visible damage to it? Any idea what you broke?

Also, how old is the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Well the actual plastic body is broken with the hinge plus the glue just adds to the mess. I'm past using this laptop ever again now. It just seems a shame that I have all these expensive parts with no use.

The laptop is only a year and a half old btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I suppose you could put it up on adverts and see what response you get.

The hard drive and RAM could be taken out but they're usually worth very little. Someone might pay a few quid for the screen if you're lucky.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Glue on the motherboard is what it sounds like.

I'd try it again and see if you get any response tbh. But it's most likely fried.

Lesson learned, you won't make that mistake again.

If you were going to sell it for parts, I'd take out the screen, the RAM, the hard disk, dvd drive etc and see what you get. Only thing worth some cash really is the screen, the rest is worth very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

if the hard drive works and is a decent size you could get an external enclosure and make a portable external drive

• Advertisement
Advertisement