Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate Together, Swords

• 12-03-2012 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey myself and OH are moving to swords in the next couple of months and our son is starting school in September. The two schools closest to us would be ET Thornleigh, Applewood and St Cronins. Can anyone tell me which in your opinion would be the best of the two?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd suggest you ring both school immediately as many have already allocated places and are full for Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheEndMyFriend

Very subjective here, but I have lived in the area for 10ish years and have young children.

St Cronins is a older school and the catchment area is in my opinion perhaps slightly rougher. It would be my last choice of the three. I'm generally biased against religious schools too.

Educate together in Thornleigh is a very new school. It's only open a couple of years. I don't have much info on it. I used to live in Thornleigh but the school did not exist back then.

Swords Educate together is very close to Thornleigh educate together. (less than 10 mins walk from each other) It's a new building, but the school has been there for several years so it's a little more established. Our son goes here. Generally I've been very impressed with the school so far. The facilities are great and all the teachers I've dealt with have been excellent. I'm very happy with my son going here and would highly recommend it to anyone.

http://www.swordseducatetogether.ie

There is also a Gaelscoil beside the swords educate together school if you are into that sort of thing :)

So you have four choices now instead of two. Getting a place in any school may be tricky. I signed my kids up very shortly after they we born. I'd certainly go and talk to all of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There is also a Gaelscoil beside the swords educate together school if you are into that sort of thing :)
    How do you mean "That sort of thing???"

How do you mean "That sort of thing???"

I mean if you would like your children to be educated in Irish, then you can send them to a gaelscoil.

This is not something I choose for my own children,but I certainly would not discourage anyone else from doing it.

The term "that sort of thing" seems to me to be slightly disparaging. Gaelscoileanna are primary schools, just as ETs are.If I were to say to someone send your child to an ET, "if you like that sort of thing" would you not feel there was some kind of negative implication?

• Advertisement

The smiley face following "that sort of thing" was there to imply that I was not being serious.

I'm absolutely sure many traditionalists would view ET schools as "that sort of thing" and would view ET schools with a negative implication. What do you mean there are no school uniforms, kids call teachers by the FIRST name and you can't actively exclude children of different faiths. It's madness!

They can have their "sort of thing" and I can have mine and we are both free to speak disparaging about each other's "sort of thing". Provided I don't ever try to stop them having their "sort of thing" and they never stop me having mine, I don't see a problem?

But both are primary schools,just like others in that the curriculum followed is the DES one. Anyway,back on topic.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mutley2009

Thornleigh is a DEIS school (due to the high number of foreign nationals 80%+) hence the kids receive free lunches and the school gets lots of grants, as mentioned earlier it is only 4 years old and may not go up to 6th class yet ...

Advertisement