Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The menu on their page states €12.00 for the full breakfast?

Then 12 it is, plus can of coke was 14 or 14:50, was 6 months ago. Had juice too, not sure if that was part of it. Paid a bill for 4 people and didn't note each item.

Had a smithstown this morning, was ok, deep fried sausages and hash browns though. Not up to scratch. Was fine but a bit bland and ingredients weren't exactly the finest. €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Anyone know if the kitchen is back open yet? And if not will it reopen soon? Cheers hey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone know if the kitchen is back open yet? And if not will it reopen soon? Cheers hey

There was a note on their FB page last weekend to say that the Chef was recuperating from surgery and it would be another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

haven't been there in so long, must give it a try again

Tried the ESB, had some sort of sausage slab sandwich thing, it was nice if not spectacular. Will certainly try a couple more things on the menu. I like that they've been brave with the whole new menu but hopefully its not just a bit too fancy pants for me. Must give a nod to the brown hound, if you can show me a cafe with nicer buns then please do because they're incredible.The Maple Chocolate bun is delicious.

The missus had a fish platter in d'vine and said it was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Tried the new menu at the Eastern Seaboard a couple of weeks ago Sunday Lunchtime . It was not busy.

Thankfully the wings are still on the menu and as good as ever. Many of our party struggled to find something off the main course menu.

All burgers are gone, 1 steak only now available at 42 euro.

I chose the Ceasar salad , the presentation of this has changed. No garlic bread and sauce was at the bottom of the plate. It came with a cos lettuce all stacked up like a boat. I had to shred the lettuce then mix in the dressing. Chicken also shredded unlike the previous chunks of chicken that they used to serve.

One of our party had the fish ( think it was trout) just served on a slab on the plate without dressing or garnish. They thought it was very bland and provided feedback on departure when asked.

I used to be a huge fan of this place & a regular diner but really feel that it has lost its sparkle , not sure if Drogheda is ready for such an Asian /contemporary menu. I feel they have isolated some of their regular diners with their approach to the new menu. I won't be rushing back unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭PGE1970

tweety76 wrote: »
    1 steak only now available at 42 euro.

Is this a mistake?

€42 for a steak :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Lilianna Freezing Beach

Lovely burger in Relish highlanes yesterday. Not a massive burger fan but was very filling and delicious. Good quality meat with bacon and fried egg on top. Lovely wedges too. Still think they give too much side salad however.. €14.50, not bad as it is a massive meal.

D'Vine tomorrow night. Has been a year or so, will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

42 euro steak and 15 euro burgers - Drogheda has never been so posh! :D

dont forget the 14 euro breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I thought €42 was a typo!

If it isn't, that is crazy!!

I thought Donegan's was expensive for steak but this beats all.

New thread maybe - Drogheda's most expensive dish??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Haven't been to ESB since they took the ribs of the menu last year (or maybe even the year before?) Himself loved them. He gets his rib fix in the Lime Kiln now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to Carlitos this evening. Was years since we went there. Often got a take away. I had potato wedges and risotto special. Eldest lad had soup - leek and potato--and salmon special. The salmon was really good but was €24. My husband had the lime chicken which was very good too. 2 kids then, one had garlic bread, margherita pizza and chocolate brownie and ice-cream. Other kid had chicken wings, margherita pizza and ice cream and chocolate sauce, 2 bottles of beer and a glass of milk and a coffee €122. Was a good meal and good service. Wasn't overly busy

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Is this a mistake?

€42 for a steak :eek:

No not a mistake! I cannot imagine many are ordering it.

We haven't had a chance to try out the only japanese restaurant in Drogheda - Nikko - I wonder what everyone thinks of them?

We ordered take away from there recently. I've only eaten Japanese food from Yamamori before this so not sure this is a fair comparison (it just so happens that there's a Yamamori next to all three of the work locations I have been in last 10 years+) but.. the mains were good, but not as good as some of the dishes I've had at Yamamori overall. It was a a bit too greasy in comparison I think. Perhaps it was just the dish I ordered. The avocado sesame seed sushi was mind-blowingly good. So delicious, my mouth waters just thinking about it. I will definitely try Nikko again.

After raving on here about the pizza in il Forno, just to warn that our second visit wasn't so good. The pizza didnt taste the same, was just bland. 2 meals were inedible and when we told the waiter they just said "okay", no apology, no food replaced etc. I assume they just didn't know how to deal with that because they also tried to charge for the meals on the way out even though they'd barely been touched. To top it all off after the bill had been paid drinks arrived that had been ordered an hour before, it was actually so bad you could only laugh. Won't be back in a hurry. Would make you appreciate the level of service in D'vine, Esb etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

tweety76 wrote: »
    No not a mistake! I cannot imagine many are ordering it.

In fairness it would depend on the size and cut of the meat but I agree its VERY expensive. We go to a hotel/restaurant in north county Dublin that does IMO an amazing 14oz fillet (most are 8oz) for €36 so its a lot of prime cut beef! Would love to know what you get for €42!!

I wonder why they priced it at €42.. Perhaps ESB is making a point about life, universe and everything. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

positron wrote: »
    I wonder why they priced it at €42.. Perhaps ESB is making a point about life, universe and everything. ;)

€42 for a Steak is complete day light robbery regardless of where or who serves it. A side of Aberdeen Angus beef can be bought for €130.00 a restaurant will get approx 20 x 14oz sirloins from this thats a mark up of €700.00

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was in the ESB on Saturday having to kill some time, and whomever set the new layout and decor needs a quiet word in the ear. The restaurant seating has been reduced with a large curtain separating the bar and dining area. The bar area that had it's own door has been glass walled and looks to be a mini function room. The pleasing and quirky atmosphere is now long dead.

As for the menu, jesus what a disaster, the steak is only one part of what I would class as a total disconnect from the established clientele. I'm all for high end abstract offerings, but we're not in London about to head to the theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Homer wrote: »
    In fairness it would depend on the size and cut of the meat but I agree its VERY expensive. We go to a hotel/restaurant in north county Dublin that does IMO an amazing 14oz fillet (most are 8oz) for €36 so its a lot of prime cut beef! Would love to know what you get for €42!!

What hotel/restaurant is this in North Co Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Pipmae wrote: »
    What hotel/restaurant is this in North Co Dublin?

Winters Restaurant in Airport View hotel. Its just beside Blakes Cross off the old Dublin belfast road.

• Went into esb yesterday for lunch. Heard about new menu. Looked through we both struggled to find anything that took our fancy. Very strange menu and lack of “normal” choices. Trying to be far too out there for me and the curtains do it no favors with layout as well. Got up and left as no point ordering if nothing springs to mind

Safe to say ESB is getting roasted. Looking forward to trying more off the menu, they haven't done me wrong so far so I'm holding out hope!

Sounds like I am the odd one out here who liked the curtains and new layout - I thought the open plan of pub + a lot of people + large family groups with kids etc were really noisy, and I think the curtains would help IF they had that type of crowd again. Perhaps it's not busy enough to need the curtains now! :D

Also, no one caught my "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" reference about 42...

First visit to D'Vine in a while on Saturday.

Food was good, still very reasonably priced compared to other restaurants of similar quality. I had the fish platter (hake, calamari, crab toast, chilli prawns), other half had the hake.

1 drink each, total was approx €53.

Servers forgot one item off each of our dishes, had to remind them. Good other than that. Place was JAMMED.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

D'Vine has been our "go to" restaurant for quite a while now.
    "Steak Frites" (rib-eye & fries) is 9.99 on the Saturday lunchtime menu.
    Feck the Seaboard! :cool:

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    D'Vine has been our "go to" restaurant for quite a while now.
    "Steak Frites" (rib-eye & fries) is 9.99 on the Saturday lunchtime menu.
    Feck the Seaboard! :cool:

deffo trying that nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Servers forgot one item off each of our dishes, had to remind them. Good other than that. Place was JAMMED.

Did they move D'Vine from Wellington Quay to the US? What hapoend the waiters?

Did they move D'Vine from Wellington Quay to the US? What hapoend the waiters?

Haven't been to the one on Wellington Quay, just the one on Dyer St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Porridge77

Any one know where to access the esb's new menu. Not on the website. Thinking of going there the weekend but don't understand how and why no menu especially since the "relaunch" is online?

Advertisement