Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

nice to see Tommy Ryan getting a start. Did he play the full game ?

How did Kelly get on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Cake Man wrote: »
    Waterford 5-20 Wexford 2-15 it finished. I actually thought the performance was fairly average despite racking up a big score, still a lot to improve on. A lot of messing around with the ball and poor options taken. Wexford didn't offer much and gifted us some easy goals.

Team lined out as SOK, John Prendergast (I think), Ringo, Stephen Daniels, David O'Sullivan, Brick, Moran, Martin O'Neill, Dean Twomey, Paul O'Brien, Maurice, E.McGrath, Gavin O'Brien, Kelly, Tommy Ryan. Kelly went off injured and replaced by Shane Casey, Tony replaced DOS late on. Mullane also made an appearance.
    Goals by Ryan, Kelly (pen), Casey, MON (long range free that went all the way) and E.McG. Maurice and a Wex defender sent off near the end but was replaced by GOB as it was only a challenge.

MON did well midfield, T.Ryan caused problems with his pace and scored a nice goal and set another up again from skinning his man. Moran and Brick did well, Ringo solid at FB.

Think that was John Dee corner back, played well too, as did all the backline, ringo very solid, twas Mullane came on for kelly, thought martin O Neil centre field was the best thing about our display, though Maurice was doing well to before going off, would'nt say wex had a full strenght team out though hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Was John Dee alright. I like his physicality, doesn't shy away from a battle.

I agree Deise Doodler, i thought Martin at midfield was excellent. On his performance yesterday he could be a real option there. Excellent distribution throughout and again he looked very solid and put in a good few hits. I'd say they looked a bit stronger and sharper yesterday overall.

Wexford more or less completely changed their team at half time, they went as far as to actually change the jerseys they were wearing. Their second half team was much closer to what will actually start championship. Jack Guiney came on for them at first, full and then out to wing. He scored 2-5 (1-04 from placed balls) after coming on. I was happy that the lads kept the intensity up and continued to create chances with intelligent hurling. It's obvious there's much more of an actual gameplan now, with some excellent, fast, flowing play with a lot of quick low ball into the corners and Tommy Ryan, Gavin O'Brien and then Mullane thrived on it.

The half back line probably stood out the most for me. Brick and Moran were fsantastic but shur whats new!

Impressed with John Dee, Ringo at full (got turned badly once and wexford got s good goal off it but other than that solid), Paul O'Brien at Wing. For me Kelly didnt do that much in the first half but I suppose he did seem hampered by injury. Shane Casey scored a peach of a goal after coming on, finished off a really flowing team move that took wexford apart.

glick6 wrote: »
    Was John Dee alright. I like his physicality, doesn't shy away from a battle.

I agree Deise Doodler, i thought Martin at midfield was excellent. On his performance yesterday he could be a real option there. Excellent distribution throughout and again he looked very solid and put in a good few hits. I'd say they looked a bit stronger and sharper yesterday overall.

Wexford more or less completely changed their team at half time, they went as far as to actually change the jerseys they were wearing. Their second half team was much closer to what will actually start championship. Jack Guiney came on for them at first, full and then out to wing. He scored 2-5 (1-04 from placed balls) after coming on. I was happy that the lads kept the intensity up and continued to create chances with intelligent hurling. It's obvious there's much more of an actual gameplan now, with some excellent, fast, flowing play with a lot of quick low ball into the corners and Tommy Ryan, Gavin O'Brien and then Mullane thrived on it.

The half back line probably stood out the most for me. Brick and Moran were fsantastic but shur whats new!

Impressed with John Dee, Ringo at full (got turned badly once and wexford got s good goal off it but other than that solid), Paul O'Brien at Wing. For me Kelly didnt do that much in the first half but I suppose he did seem hampered by injury. Shane Casey scored a peach of a goal after coming on, finished off a really flowing team move that took wexford apart.

Kelly went down quite early so hard to call his preformance really, Pual O Brien put in a huge amount of work and certainly not scared of going in but his size will be a disadvantage to him against stiffer compitition, thought David O sullivan was abit off the pace but i suppose he isnt back that long , would agree with you about our style of dilivery in to the forwards but would still have some concern about our off the ball movment in up there, few times last might when lads just did'nt make the runs to make themselves available , Still more positives than negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

deisedude wrote: »
    Fair enough. I deleted it, sorry if it offended you

I wouldnt apologise at all to such a miserible comment
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Really wouldnt delete it for some 1 post wonder.

Its always a pain missing a championship game cause yer abroad. Hope you can find a pub showing it and have some very early Sunday morning hurling action on the west coast of the USA deisedude

I'd have to agree with Kev to an extent, used always make sure I was around for the championship games, but tbh was abroad for our last 2 munster final apearances and found a bar, had a right aul buzz i must admit !! especially after the mauling last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Having watched Clare yesterday against KK I really think we should be beating them in the championship. I know its a dangerous mindset to have and its probably what Davy Fitz will want us to think but I really think they are a good bit short of causing an upset yet. They kept with KK for 35 mins but it was a KK team missing many regulars, many players off form and only playing at half pace. They are certainly there to be beaten if we have our own house in order.
    Very impressed with Cork and what JBM is doing there. Some teriffic young players coming through there who have been on what were described as poor Cork minor teams the last couple years so it shows what can be done when the right man is at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Having watched Clare yesterday against KK I really think we should be beating them in the championship. I know its a dangerous mindset to have and its probably what Davy Fitz will want us to think but I really think they are a good bit short of causing an upset yet. They kept with KK for 35 mins but it was a KK team missing many regulars, many players off form and only playing at half pace. They are certainly there to be beaten if we have our own house in order.
    Very impressed with Cork and what JBM is doing there. Some teriffic young players coming through there who have been on what were described as poor Cork minor teams the last couple years so it shows what can be done when the right man is at the helm.

I few people seem to be of that view. I was actually pretty impressed with Clare myself based on their first half performance. Fair enough, Kilkenny ran away with it in the second half but if lads think Waterford are going to be able to pull away like that, they are mistaken. We are generally not able to do that against teams in championship and I think there will only be one or two points in it in the end.

The physicality out of Clare in the first half was unreal. If they continued like that in the second, there was no way they would have finished with 14 men. I think that Davy is going to have those lads wound up big time for the Waterford match and there could be trouble a la 98.

I'm still very apprehensive about what stage Waterford are at. The lack of intensity in our league campaign was startling. I really hope that we are at the races come June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah I don't think I saw too much from Clare yesterday that would have me overly worried, thought they fairly average. Was up in Thurles yesterday and the heavy rain just after throw in made slippery conditions and a scrappy game. I think this worked in Clare's favour as KK couldn't get into a rhythm. Some of their passing was awful, playing hospital balls to another player with one or two KK men around them, aimlessly hitting balls into their forwards and overplaying the ball laterally when they should have gave it downfield first time. Obviously championship will be different and Davy will have them fired up for us.
    Cork were very good, think they could do well in the summer. Will be some game if Tipp beat Limerick and the two meet again.

Listening to Davy Fitz ranting and raving on the radio this morning about refereeing decisions made me feel glad that we dont have to put up with it down here anymore. People used to say it was his way of deflecting attention from the players when he was with waterford but I think if it was, its by default rather than intention. I think it actually places more emphasis on his team and in turn more pressure on the players. Whatever about our own internal troubles so far this season at least our manager was shrewd enough to play things down and keep things under-wraps as much possible. Fitzy is the opposite he brings media attention to his team when its completely unwarranted.
    Whether we beat Clare in the championship depends on ourselves. With our own house in order Ive no doubt we'll overcome this Clare team. The jury is very much out on ourselves and where were at though so heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Listening to Davy Fitz ranting and raving on the radio this morning about refereeing decisions made me feel glad that we dont have to put up with it down here anymore. People used to say it was his way of deflecting attention from the players when he was with waterford but I think if it was, its by default rather than intention. I think it actually places more emphasis on his team and in turn more pressure on the players. Whatever about our own internal troubles so far this season at least our manager was shrewd enough to play things down and keep things under-wraps as much possible. Fitzy is the opposite he brings media attention to his team when its completely unwarranted.
    Whether we beat Clare in the championship depends on ourselves. With our own house in order Ive no doubt we'll overcome this Clare team. The jury is very much out on ourselves and where were at though so heres hoping

I think hes ranting and raving is designed to create a sort of siege mentality within the camp, us against the world sort of rubbish, Ger Loughnane won two AI's by creating a similar mentality in Clare in the mid 90's but tbf to Loughnane he was and is a far more intellignet and shrewder operator than mad Davy!

• Advertisement

we can beat any team on any given day,if we turn up.
    I'm optimistic about the Clare game.What I noticed about Clare yesterday they were very physical in the first half and were the better side.they seem to be a lot fitter too.
    but then in the second half they just fell away.it could be from being in division 1 B.
    the same thing happened when we played them two years ago in the championship. they were all over us like a rash in the first half. then just died away in the second,if this is the case again in june i can see us coming out on the other side and into another munster final.
    where i'd hope to meet cork :)

I think hes ranting and raving is designed to create a sort of siege mentality within the camp, us against the world sort of rubbish, Ger Loughnane won two AI's by creating a similar mentality in Clare in the mid 90's but tbf to Loughnane he was and is a far more intellignet and shrewder operator than mad Davy!

Would agree to a large degree but think davy dose enjoy the limelight a little (excuse the pun) to much , probably convinces himself that its the siege mentality technique of his former mentor and may even pay off a bit at times but tis a bit more than that,

redlead wrote: »
    I few people seem to be of that view. I was actually pretty impressed with Clare myself based on their first half performance. Fair enough, Kilkenny ran away with it in the second half but if lads think Waterford are going to be able to pull away like that, they are mistaken. We are generally not able to do that against teams in championship and I think there will only be one or two points in it in the end.

The physicality out of Clare in the first half was unreal. If they continued like that in the second, there was no way they would have finished with 14 men. I think that Davy is going to have those lads wound up big time for the Waterford match and there could be trouble a la 98.

I'm still very apprehensive about what stage Waterford are at. The lack of intensity in our league campaign was startling. I really hope that we are at the races come June.

Think you right, clare were hitting hard yesterday but killkeny are far more able for that phyisical game than we are, hard to keep that intensity up for 70 min though and in the second half when the pace droped a little killkenys hurling showed, if we can weather the storm of the first twenty mins think we will be in with a good shot but I dont think it will be easy, the other thing is the clare running game( though not perfect) is not a style of hurling that we have been comfortable playing against in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I wouldn't be worried about Clare, yes they worked hard in the first half but they still should have been 5-6 points down at half-time, and Kilkenny didn't even play well in any part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Hard to know what to make of the Clare performance yesterday. At face value it looked very weak and 0-14 is a very low score to be getting in a hurling match at this level. They seemed to make a bit of an effort in the first half but with the writing on the wall at half time as they faced the wind in the second half, maybe Davy told them not to kill themselves in the second half.

However, even if this were the case, it would not explain the cluelessness of their hurling. They ran at Kilkenny in defence and midfield with some success, but then they just lobbed high balls into the Kilkenny goalmouth where their full forwards were eaten alive by the Kilkenny full backs. With their pace and lack of size you would have expected them to put in low ball or ball into the corners. A very noticeable feature of the way Kilkenny play is the way they hit weighted ball dropping short of the full forward line which gives the outcoming forwards the advantage over their markers. Tommy Walsh is very good at this.

I wouldn’t fully agree that Kilkenny played this game at half pace, even though their focus may not have been as sharp as it can be. They worked very hard to close Clare down and disrupt their short passing game. In the league games that I saw, Clare scored a lot of long distance points by creating space with their running and passing game, but they were allowed few enough shooting opportunities yesterday. Yesterday also showed that hand passing can become error-prone in wet conditions.

I agree with Orizio that Kilkenny should have been well ahead at half time. They missed a lot of straighforward chances and Larkin’s goal should have been allowed stand. Their first touch moving at pace, and in traffic, was fantastic. I thought Clare’s attempts to mix it with Kilkenny in the first half were a bit pathetic – very much a case of men against boys. I don’t think they have the physicality to mix it with Waterford either, but they can cause problems if they get their hard running and short passing game working properly – and if the Waterford players’ heads aren’t right on the day.

As for Cork, they have been playing some lovely hurling and their confidence is growing. JBM has given them stability and focus, and has managed his resources well. However, it remains to be seen how well they will do against tough, tight marking in the championship. They looked very good when Waterford stood off them in the first half of the league game, but disappeared from sight when we put it up to them in the third quarter, and if our forwards had been able to shoot straight (and Seamus Prendergast’s shot had gone the right side of the post) it could have been a much tighter game in the end. Also, Cork were very lucky to beat Dublin, a tough physical team which should have wrapped things up when they got completely on top in the middle of the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Bad news for waterford minors, in a minor football game last night Colin dunford has broken his jaw in 2 seperate places

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Bad news for waterford minors, in a minor football game last night Colin dunford has broken his jaw in 2 seperate places
    get well soon dj,arguably the best hurler ive ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Sound for the info, won't thank the post because that's dreadful news, hope he has a swift recovery!

i hope the poor chap gets well soon, it's not a nice thing to happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Orizio wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried about Clare, yes they worked hard in the first half but they still should have been 5-6 points down at half-time, and Kilkenny didn't even play well in any part of the game.

Clare missed nearly as many handy chances in the first half as Kilkenny did.

Clare look a dangerous side. Kilkenny got a run of scores soon after the goal which killed the game but up until that Clare were right in it. Considering this was their first game against a 'Division 1' side this year that's not bad at all. Their biggest problem for the last few years was that they were physically brushed aside by the top level teams and just couldn't match them in the tackling stakes, nor in scraps for possession.

On the evidence of the first half against Kilkenny, they seem to have gone some way towards addressing this problem and I haven't seen Kilkenny put under as much pressure in the middle third in a long time. The left flank of their defence was weak and Kilkenny made some headway there but overall their backs were quite solid. One messy goal was all Kilkenny had to show for their day's work and most defences would be fairly happy with that.

Their forwards have been their strong sector all through the league and it was interesting to see that they were the weakest last Sunday. I don't think they're likely to have both those wing-forwards come championship though and if Conlon is brought out they'll be a different proposition in that area as well.

What killed them against Kilkenny was the amount of long ball they hit to Colin Ryan and Conor McGrath that neither had much hope of winning. Again this was interesting because they had been playing a much more running based game all spring. Maybe it was the pressure Kilkenny were putting them under, or maybe they didn't want to show their hand too much. Either way they produced a disastrous mess of an attacking performance which played to their weaknesses and to Kilkenny's strengths.

In any case, and like the Limerick game, beating their midfielders and committing players to the break seems to be the key to beating them as their half-backline aren't that dominant and the midfield is where they get their platform from. It will require a lot of energy to match them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Big blow, he's in good form and one of the best players on the minor team. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I'd say that's him ruled out next Wednesday v Clare in the minor championship anyway. Any idea how long he'll be out for?

anyone hear anything about the supposedly fallen out between Mullane and ken ?

from what i hear Mullane isn't happy, lets just hope it's a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭deisedude

Probably bull

deisedude wrote: »
    Probably bull

please god let it be a pile of dung

we have had our fill of it already for this year, focus needs to be turned towards the championship and getting the team ready.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Big blow, he's in good form and one of the best players on the minor team. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I'd say that's him ruled out next Wednesday v Clare in the minor championship anyway. Any idea how long he'll be out for?

Id be more worried about a young lad sittin the leaving in 6 weeks time and how preperation for that will be affected. Hurling is just sport at the end of the day

please god let it be a pile of dung.

well ur the one to bring the story on here so maybe u can shed some more light for us??!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

last tues small spat...happens all the time,no trouble in the camp...

Thats a big blow , was playing very well in the last few challanges,sounds very painful, hope the recovery is a fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Not even worth talkin about,a simple disagreement there no fall out..

• Advertisement

well ur the one to bring the story on here so maybe u can shed some more light for us??!

i only asked because i wasn't sure. i just herd that they had a fallen out.that is why i posted here to see if you lads might be able to shed some light on the matter.and ye have,time to move on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement