Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

DLS game on TG4 at 2pm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Incredible game. Best half of hurling I've seen this year I think.

Pity the referee has left DLS with such an uphill struggle now. Shockin decision to send off John Keane. Typically enough, Padraic Maher didn't even get a yellow for a similar enough offense. But of course, the County players always get preferential treatment at this level. Pity because Keane was having the game of his life.

At 1-11 to 1-9 they're well in it though having been 5 points behind for most of the half. Could have done with those early goal chances going on, Dillon was probably unlucky to hit the post but I think he should have at least hit the target with the other one. Great sideline he scored. Nevin's goal was superb, great recovery from him given his poor start. Eddie Barrett is going well, Moran is doing his usual and Phelan has shown his quality too. Mullane has hardly been in it, but sure of course he scores an absolute wonder point of the hurley from the sideline near the end. Here's to more of the same in the second half :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Absolutely ridiculous decision to send off keane.

Interestingly i think its the same ref who made a balls of the kilmallock v sarsfield game.

No hope in 2nd half, corbett will roam free and clean up

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jaysusREF

Dunno about that. It was a deliberate strike with the hurley and that's a sending off offence. It was the second time he did it as well. He took a cut at P Maher during the incident where Maher barged/shouldered a DLS player. I didn't see Maher swipe anybody with his hurley though that doesn't mean it didn't happen if it did he should have been red carded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Straight red, nothing ridiculous about it. Pulled back on player. Great game of hurling so far. Pumping long balls into DLS ff line not gonna work though

• Advertisement

Blatant pen for DLS turned down

it wasnt anything like a strike, tap, would describe it better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Think the referee got the red card correct personally. It wasn't exactly a vicious strike but he still took a swipe at him. By the looks of his face when the red card came out, he knew what he did was stupid.

Apart from that, I think the referee has been very poor in his decisions regarding DLS. Some very easy frees being given to Sarsfields.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jaysusREF

DLS might well feel aggrieved with the ref. Nt about the red card but 6 minutes left 2 points down and a blatant penalty denied. DLS at times looked like they had the extra man. Hard luck to them.

Don't agree, he didn't swing hard. By definition in the rulebook I guess it is a red card, but there was no consistency in Padraic Maher not being penalized, especially when some of the yellow cards handed out in the second half were ridiculous. Thought it was harsh enough and that kind of a thing happens so many times on the field off the ball and really there was nothing in it. Denis Maher also made a meal of it which I don't like to see.

The penalty call was an atrocious decision. Considering those two things and the goal chances they had, De La Salle will feel aggrieved. It could have been a different game if Keane was still on the field, but once he was gone on balance of play Thurles deserved to win. Great credit to DLS though, it was some game and some great scores including that of Barrett, Moran and Madigan.

Eddie Barrett was their best player in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭thesultan

Eddie Barrett had a great game but they should have switched Daniels in full back. Moran wasn't really in it and Mullane wasn't in it at all. Pa Bourke has turned into a fine player with his first full year of intercounty behind him. De La Salle missed some bad goals chances and David Greene should have flung his with ten minutes left. McNulty should have been introduced much sooner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Looks like 3-3-1 will remain at 3-2-0.

This is a game that DLS could have won if they kept their nerve. I dont think John Keane can have too many complaints, he pulled twice on your man. first across the helmet to give away the free then across the arm and after the hullabaloo of the Galway final last weekend the ref was never going to show much mercy. Also close in free missed by Twomey was a big setback putting it wide is just unforgivable at least if you get it on target and its saved there's the possibility of the rebound and then David Greene fluffed the shot with the goal at its mercy. If these chances had been taken then panic and doubt couldve set in very quickly with Thurles this was a big hoodoo for them.

A bit of luck wouldn't have gone astray either, Jake Dillon had a blatant penalty denied in the second half, after winning the ball in the air with 3 thurles lads hanging off him he was dragged to the ground and the free was given against him. With 14 men you have enough going against you the last thing you need is the ref getting important calls wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Interestingly i think its the same ref who made a balls of the kilmallock v sarsfield game.

No hope in 2nd half, corbett will roam free and clean up

couldnt be the same ref. that ref today was from limerick so he wouldnt have been doing the sars kilmallock game.

dls were rode by the referee but i think sars were the better team, dls couldnt get within 2 points of them the whole game, sars took their scores easier.
    how dls stayed looking at greene for as long as they did is beyond me. dls have nothing on the bench eithercompared to thurles who brought on redser and richie ruth who both made a big difference. Ian Flynns lack of pace was badly exposed too.
    im sure dls will scour the county for a few more lads they can poach over the winter anyhow.
    4-3-1!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

couldnt be the same ref. that ref today was from limerick so he wouldnt have been doing the sars kilmallock game.

dls were rode by the referee but i think sars were the better team, dls couldnt get within 2 points of them the whole game, sars took their scores easier.
    how dls stayed looking at greene for as long as they did is beyond me. dls have nothing on the bench eithercompared to thurles who brought on redser and richie ruth who both made a big difference. Ian Flynns lack of pace was badly exposed too.
    im sure dls will scour the county for a few more lads they can poach over the winter anyhow.
    4-3-1!!!

What game were you watching? The sides were level on three if not four times thinking off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

DLS let this game slip through their fingers. Thurles had excellent movement, and seemed to take most of their chances quite clinically. They looked well balanced throughout the field. However, I think they can consider themselves very lucky.

A few of the main turning points:

1. DLS not taking goal chances. Jake Dillon hit the post and Thurles went down the other end of the field for a point - a 4 point turnaround there. Jake should probably have taken the 21 yard free that Twomey hit wide also.

2. Refereeing decisions. DLS were denied a blatant penalty in the 2nd half, and a lot of soft frees were awarded to Thurles. I think Keane had to go for the strike, and was very foolish to walk into that situation. Maher's jab/poke/strike on Nevin went totally unpunished, and in fairness those sort of blows to the kidney generally do. If he hadn't a hurl in his hand it'd have been a punch, and the GAA need to look at this type of striking before someone suffers a serious kidney injury.

3. DLS poor on the sideline? 1 sub with 5 mins to go in an intense game, on a rain sodden field with 14 players seems madness. Moran, Mullane and Madigan were 3 key players for DLS who were pretty much out of the game or at the very least not fully utilised. Ian Flynn was badly exposed at full back. Jack Kennedy and David Green were poor in the full forward line.

Positional switches and changes in personnel needed to be made here, but they did not seem to be forthcoming. These are the kind of pressure situations where top managers show their class, and McGrath froze in my opinion. That's before we go into the error of judgement in the 3-3-1 malarkey.

I see that the usual sniping remarks starting to come in on here and in other media. Great to see Waterford remain united as a county as always!

Kilmac beaten by 23 points, on their home pitch. oh dear. further evidence of how off the pace we are a junior and intermediate level.

4-3-1!!!

Thanks for the correction

I absolutely agree with Hardybuck, some people seem delighted that our County Champs were beaten today. It is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to be from a county or i should really say a City of begrudgers, some of the comments on social media sites is just pure wrong from people who will be licking the arse hole off Moran, Mullane and Jake Dillon. I am a DLS man and i honestly believe we left it behind us we had our chances to win the game whether we deserved it or not we had the chances it was a definite red card no arguement there.

This 3-3-1 bull**** fair enough it was a terrible idea but it was one that was meant to be kept inside the dressing room, i certainly do not agree with it. There are better ways of motivating yourself and not the other teams, but to see people gloating over it is disappointing. But seriously never mind what talent we have coming through at underage in our county we wont win nothing as a county with the attitude of some people pure jealousy and i really wonder do this go on as much in other countys i have personally cheered on Ballygunner and Mount Sion in the past, they always had and still do have great players that i loved watching play for our county.

And then to see comments that we will scour the county for new additions to our panel we have never went around tapping players up regardless what anyone thinks, they came to us for whatever reason the choice was theirs,if a player wants to join a city club and you refuse to take him that player will go join your rivals so you help strenghten them?? it's not ideal but it's the truth what club would honestly turn a player away???

I would like to just say a massive thank you to all the honest an genuine supporters of hurling within our county for the well wishes towards my club over the past few weeks an hopefully we all stand shoulder to shoulder as Waterford fans for the new 2013 season...
    I LOVE MY COUNTY...........

I absolutely agree with Hardybuck, some people seem delighted that our County Champs were beaten today. It is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to be from a county or i should really say a City of begrudgers, some of the comments on social media sites is just pure wrong from people who will be licking the arse hole off Moran, Mullane and Jake Dillon. I am a DLS man and i honestly believe we left it behind us we had our chances to win the game whether we deserved it or not we had the chances it was a definite red card no arguement there.

This 3-3-1 bull**** fair enough it was a terrible idea but it was one that was meant to be kept inside the dressing room, i certainly do not agree with it. There are better ways of motivating yourself and not the other teams, but to see people gloating over it is disappointing. But seriously never mind what talent we have coming through at underage in our county we wont win nothing as a county with the attitude of some people pure jealousy and i really wonder do this go on as much in other countys i have personally cheered on Ballygunner and Mount Sion in the past, they always had and still do have great players that i loved watching play for our county.

And then to see comments that we will scour the county for new additions to our panel we have never went around tapping players up regardless what anyone thinks, they came to us for whatever reason the choice was theirs,if a player wants to join a city club and you refuse to take him that player will go join your rivals so you help strenghten them?? it's not ideal but it's the truth what club would honestly turn a player away???

I would like to just say a massive thank you to all the honest an genuine supporters of hurling within our county for the well wishes towards my club over the past few weeks an hopefully we all stand shoulder to shoulder as Waterford fans for the new 2013 season...
    I LOVE MY COUNTY...........

a bit OTT Id say 99.999999% of waterford people were shouting for dls. I dont know anyone that wouldnt like to see them win it. your gonna meet one or 2 begrudgers in all walks of life my advice would be to get over it

a bit OTT Id say 99.999999% of waterford people were shouting for dls. I dont know anyone that wouldnt like to see them win it. your gonna meet one or 2 begrudgers in all walks of life my advice would be to get over it

I don't doubt you but I have seen some comments on the book of faces that hurt

We all know how frustrating it is when your team loses (especially when things could so easily have been different) and how you want to have a cut at someone when you lose, but to be honest lads bar one comment about scouring the county for players, there has been no evidence of anybody having a go at De La Salle on here at least.

And for the record you definitely see it happen in other counties that club rivalries turn sour. A friend was at the Tipp v Cork game in 2010 and he was appauled listening to two foul-mouthed Thurles Sars lads who were bemoaning players from other clubs (not trying to pick on Thurles there, just a coincidence.)

I also have to disagree hardy in that Thurles missed their share of opportunities second half, two particularly poor ones by Denis Maher and Redser. The reason they scored most of their chances, particularly first half, was because of their movement and the way they played the ball. They managed to create space in positions where you were guaranteed a score and it they gave everyone watching a lesson on how to use the ball well. One passage of play that particularly impressed me was a point by Pa Bourke (I think) in the second half, when he got the ball over Bull and turned sharply and had Bull beaten. Madigan was in close proximity but didn't go to him because just as Bourke had claimed the ball, Corbett ran behind him and moved forward on the outside, forcing Madigan to hesitate and allowing Bourke the time and space to stick it over.

I think it's something that is coachable, but it's so often neglected by coaches and yet is imperative in the modern game. It won Tipp an All-Ireland.

• Advertisement

I also have to disagree hardy in that Thurles missed their share of opportunities second half, two particularly poor ones by Denis Maher and Redser. The reason they scored most of their chances, particularly first half, was because of their movement and the way they played the ball. They managed to create space in positions where you were guaranteed a score and it they gave everyone watching a lesson on how to use the ball well. One passage of play that particularly impressed me was a point by Pa Bourke (I think) in the second half, when he got the ball over Bull and turned sharply and had Bull beaten. Madigan was in close proximity but didn't go to him because just as Bourke had claimed the ball, Corbett ran behind him and moved forward on the outside, forcing Madigan to hesitate and allowing Bourke the time and space to stick it over.

I think it's something that is coachable, but it's so often neglected by coaches and yet is imperative in the modern game. It won Tipp an All-Ireland.

Yes Thurles hit some wides in the 2nd half, but in most of the critical points in the game, they came out in top when things could have gone either way. Their movement led to well taken scores, but they took the goal opportunity when it came their way, their man managed to do the maximum without being sent off, the penalty decision didn't go against them, DLS hitting the post when it could and should have gone in. All these breaks went against DLS. Most of them not down to luck, but on another day they might have gone for them.

Having thought about it further, again I'm pretty disappointed with McGrath's performance. I reckoned his record might render him a candidate for the Waterford job - between his DLS school and club sides he's won a decent bit of silverware. I think it was quite obvious that subs and switches needed to be made but they just didn't come. Hopefully he'll learn from this experience.

I don't doubt you but I have seen some comments on the book of faces that hurt

To be fair by going public with this 3-3-1 thing it was always going to be thrown back at ye if ye lost. Yere going to be the but of a few jokes for a couple days not just by the begrudgers but by the general GAA public aswell. I think Derek McGrath and co will have learned from this year and come back a little cuter about things next year

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hurlerford

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yes Thurles hit some wides in the 2nd half, but in most of the critical points in the game, they came out in top when things could have gone either way. Their movement led to well taken scores, but they took the goal opportunity when it came their way, their man managed to do the maximum without being sent off, the penalty decision didn't go against them, DLS hitting the post when it could and should have gone in. All these breaks went against DLS. Most of them not down to luck, but on another day they might have gone for them.

Having thought about it further, again I'm pretty disappointed with McGrath's performance. I reckoned his record might render him a candidate for the Waterford job - between his DLS school and club sides he's won a decent bit of silverware. I think it was quite obvious that subs and switches needed to be made but they just didn't come. Hopefully he'll learn from this experience.

The main difference between the two teams was thurles better use of the ball to pick out players in space and when a ball is put into the forward line one of their own players is isolated with their marker in pursuit to control the ball. For DLS they seemed to go back to their bunching under the high ball that was very evident in 2008 but eradicated in 2010 under michael ryan, (you could sometimes see him waving the arms outwards indicating to players to move out from the middle and use the space). When too many players run in together for the ball it always suits the defence. Both teams were balanced other than the style of play adopted and i think changes in the forward line should have been made especially when kennedy went off with a dead leg as thurles scored two furher points when dls had 13 players on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Incredible game. Best half of hurling I've seen this year I think.

Pity the referee has left DLS with such an uphill struggle now. Shockin decision to send off John Keane. Typically enough, Padraic Maher didn't even get a yellow for a similar enough offense. But of course, the County players always get preferential treatment at this level. Pity because Keane was having the game of his life.

It was as blatant a red card as you are likely to see, striking with the hurl, no mention in the rule book that you have to inflict permanent damage or what degree of force should be used, it was a very very stupid act from a player that lets just say it wasn't completely out of character from he's days in Tipp hurling. He's reaction sadi it all as well he knew well he deserved to walk and was disgusted with himself.

How was the Padraic Maher incident similar I mean seriously?? He could have got a yellow yes but to compare the two incidents is crazy.

DLS should definitely have had a penalty in the second half and the perpatrator was on a yellow and would have had to have walked, that is the decision that DLS should fell aggrieved about not the red card. There were some very soft frees giving against Thurles aswell let it not be forgotten, the yellow card for Lar after a minute was laughable.

How was the Padraic Maher incident similar I mean seriously?? He could have got a yellow yes but to compare the two incidents is crazy.

I'm in agreement with you here in that Keane's swipe is a red card as set out in the rules, and that Maher's was a yellow as set out in the rules, although he never got the yellow.

However, I think this type of strike needs to be removed from the game. If a footballer performs the same strike he gets a red card as he hasn't a hurl in his hand - this happens to several footballers every year.

It may seem like a small issue, but I think it needs to be addressed before someone gets a serious kidney injury.

It was as blatant a red card as you are likely to see, striking with the hurl, no mention in the rule book that you have to inflict permanent damage or what degree of force should be used, it was a very very stupid act from a player that lets just say it wasn't completely out of character from he's days in Tipp hurling. He's reaction sadi it all as well he knew well he deserved to walk and was disgusted with himself.

Id agree with that but I believe Maher should have got red aswell. A player is given a hurley for the purpose of playing the sliothar. Under no circumstances should it be used as a weapon to strike another player no matter what the circumstances and anyone who does so deserves to walk. Too many instances recently we have seen the latter for example Johnny Maher last week for Loughrea which went completely unpunished.

The rule is too vague. If you tap a felah with a hurley its ok but if you hit him a proper belt its wrong? It should be all or nothing hurling its a sacred game but using the hurley to strike/injure an opponent takes from that

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Id agree with that but I believe Maher should have got red aswell. A player is given a hurley for the purpose of playing the sliothar. Under no circumstances should it be used as a weapon to strike another player no matter what the circumstances and anyone who does so deserves to walk. Too many instances recently we have seen the latter for example Johnny Maher last week for Loughrea which went completely unpunished.

The rule is too vague. If you tap a felah with a hurley its ok but if you hit him a proper belt its wrong? It should be all or nothing hurling its a sacred game but using the hurley to strike/injure an opponent takes from that

Agree with the above. Keane deserved to walk but this thing of dunting lads in the ribs is getting way out of hand.

As an aside, after reading your comment I went and looked at Johnny Maher on YouTube last night, and ffs how was he not sent off?? What were the ref, umpires and linesmen looking at???

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Thomond Park...........Bruce Springsteen

Pairc Ui Chaoimh........Bruce Sringsteen

Fraher Field...............Jedward!!!!!!!

De la Salle college beaten by Ard Scoil Ris in Harty Cup. Need to win their final game to guarantee qualification. I think its against Castletroy who need to win to qualify also

Blackwater and Dungarvan are through to the quarters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

zol 2 wrote: »
    Thomond Park...........Bruce Springsteen

Pairc Ui Chaoimh........Bruce Sringsteen

Fraher Field...............Jedward!!!!!!!

I heard though that Waterford fans are requesting that the springstein concert in Cork be moved to Thurles.:pac:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement