Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hurlerford wrote: »
    Chuck would be an excellent choice for under 21 manager. When he was manager of the county minors we beat Limerick and Tipperary and even knocked out the Kilkenny minors out of the championship.

We should learn from the current all ireland winning champions Clare whose management were involved with the minors for the two years previous to this year's U21 and worked with the players from under 14 up. They had developed a style of hurling before U21 and were able to continue thier good work as they didn't have to start from scratch and learn players names, figure out who is good or not, their best positions, develop a level of trust etc... This is one reason why waterford are not doing well at U21 as their is no continuation in management from the younger grades up but a totally new management team are put in place at this level and the level of intenesity and commitment is not there.

If we're arguing on record and how well they know the players than it's Meaney's job hands down. He won Waterford's first minor in what, 15 years?

He also got them there the following year, and was unlucky with how things fell out. If they hadn't been so jaded against Clare, they could well have been in an all-ireland final and maybe even won it.

I don't agree about coaches coming in and having to learn players names, that just isn't the case. Sure the template for success is there with Clare, but then Chuck O Connor wasn't involved with Waterford underage before the minor team was he? So basically on account of one year, you'd give him the U21 job. And to be fair, that was one of the worst Kilkenny minor teams in a long time and they just about scraped past Limerick and Tipp at home, some would say fortuitously. I don't think he got the best out of them.
    the problem here is that a felah is appointed for the sake of filling the position rather than being head-hunted as the best man for the job. And when it turns out hes not really up to it or hes had enough of it he moves on theres a new guy in for the following year etc.

I don't think it's fair to say that. Look at all the success we've had in the Tony Forristal since 2005 (I think). They made 4 finals in a row, winning one. Then they made the final again and won it in 2010, and they did reasonable this year too, didn't they? Either way those coaches are clearly doing pretty good jobs, and I dunno about this for the sake of it stuff, I think it's very easy for anybody not involved in the selection process to say something like this.
    noiniho wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong here but isnt the selector position that has yet to be filled designated for a candidate from the west (whomever that may be)?

doesnt that then rule out Jimmy Meaney altogether? him being from Mt Sion

That's for the Minor team. Jimmy Meaney is apparently a contender to be the u21 manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hurlerford

If we're arguing on record and how well they know the players than it's Meaney's job hands down. He won Waterford's first minor in what, 15 years?

He also got them there the following year, and was unlucky with how things fell out. If they hadn't been so jaded against Clare, they could well have been in an all-ireland final and maybe even won it.

I don't agree about coaches coming in and having to learn players names, that just isn't the case. Sure the template for success is there with Clare, but then Chuck O Connor wasn't involved with Waterford underage before the minor team was he? So basically on account of one year, you'd give him the U21 job. And to be fair, that was one of the worst Kilkenny minor teams in a long time and they just about scraped past Limerick and Tipp at home, some would say fortuitously. I don't think he got the best out of them.

If Chuck or Meaney got the job I would be happy. If it is someone that hasent managed these players at minor within the last 2 years gets the managers job at u21 then I dont think there will be any improvements at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I don't think it's fair to say that. Look at all the success we've had in the Tony Forristal since 2005 (I think). They made 4 finals in a row, winning one. Then they made the final again and won it in 2010, and they did reasonable this year too, didn't they? Either way those coaches are clearly doing pretty good jobs, and I dunno about this for the sake of it stuff, I think it's very easy for anybody not involved in the selection process to say something like this. QUOTE]

But there dosent seem to be much continuity as regards the coaches of these teams. It looks like it changes too much with certain teams from year to year.

If you look at it this way the Tony Forrestal teams of 05,06 and 07 should be the make up of this years U21 team give or take and look at the utter anihaltion suffered at the hands of Clare in the Munster championship. Im not saying were not doing a lot of things right but certainly were a bit off at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lar na pairc

In reply to Mountain Lad, you seem to know little about the facts surrounding that group of players which were Minor in 2011. They won the Tony Forrestal in 2007 when Chuck was coach having been with the same group since 2006 all the way to Minor, as developement squads. By all accounts he took a break last year due to some personal issues. I think you are missing the main point which is who ever is asked to look after the 2013 U-21s that the best person is appointed whether thats Jimmy Meaney or Chuck or whoever, for once put the interests of the players first and give them every chance of success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

I don't think it's fair to say that. Look at all the success we've had in the Tony Forristal since 2005 (I think). They made 4 finals in a row, winning one. Then they made the final again and won it in 2010, and they did reasonable this year too, didn't they? Either way those coaches are clearly doing pretty good jobs, and I dunno about this for the sake of it stuff, I think it's very easy for anybody not involved in the selection process to say something like this. QUOTE]

But there dosent seem to be much continuity as regards the coaches of these teams. It looks like it changes too much with certain teams from year to year.

If you look at it this way the Tony Forrestal teams of 05,06 and 07 should be the make up of this years U21 team give or take and look at the utter anihaltion suffered at the hands of Clare in the Munster championship. Im not saying were not doing a lot of things right but certainly were a bit off at the same time

too many of them young lads thought they had it "made" already.
    never saw such a gutless display in my life than that u21 team last year. people can blame management etc but it wasnt their fault. the blame is with the players. so called stars like dillon, o neill, o brien and there was more, strolled around the place, didnt care, it told me a lot about their character that they didnt even have the stomach for the fight that night, everyone can have a bad game.... they should be gone off the senior panel and made fight for their place back on it.

• Advertisement

In reply to Mountain Lad, you seem to know little about the facts surrounding that group of players which were Minor in 2011. They won the Tony Forrestal in 2007 when Chuck was coach having been with the same group since 2006 all the way to Minor, as developement squads. By all accounts he took a break last year due to some personal issues. I think you are missing the main point which is who ever is asked to look after the 2013 U-21s that the best person is appointed whether thats Jimmy Meaney or Chuck or whoever, for once put the interests of the players first and give them every chance of success

Apologies, didn't know O'Connor was involved with them before. When he took over the Minor job all that seemed to be mentioned about him was his involvement with James Stephens.

The first sentence should read 'You know little about the facts surrounding Chucks involvment with those players' by the way. Followed them in the u17s in 2010, and knew they had won the Tony Forristal with O'Brien as captain in 2007.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the last piece. My argument is that O'Connor is not the best for the job. The stuff mentioned about Timmy O'Keeffe having a personal issue with him is vague to say the least, and is coming from someone who (without meaning to cause offence, Zols information is generally creditable) seems to have difficulty with the secretary as he has used all sorts of names to describe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

zol 2 wrote: »
    Liam"Chuck" O Connor offered his services but was turned down as he was deemed too troublesome by a certain member of the county board.(Guess who!)
    So as he can no longer be considered as he's not regarded a suitable candidate i believe it's between Jimmy Meaney and a Fintan Murray from Cappoquin consortium that includes Fintan O Connor from Fourmilewater and just about anyone else who is willing to accept going in with them,he has approached so many!!

So as long as your compatible with a certain member of the board your coaching experience doesn't come in to it.
    The way it looks is that the attitude is"There's another box ticked we've entered teams in minor and u21" God forbid if we should win a first round it would rightly upset the apple cart.
    Preferably i would give it to Jimmy Meaney over the other option(That's if that's all is acceptable by the board)he would have the respect of the players and has experience of being in charge of a successful munster minor winning team. 30k is the budget i believe so it really would be run very tightly whomever gets the position,so fundraising i would imagine would be the order of the day again.

With regards to the bit in bold it's a bit like the situation in Cork where managers for the underage teams are appointed based on whether they get on with Frank Murphy regardless of their ability or lack of ability.I didn't think Waterford GAA was run in the same agenda driven manner that Frank Murphy runs Cork GAA but i suppose you learn something new everyday!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Surely the manager of the respective teams minor and U21 should be allowed to pick their own selectors.Having an ex intercounty player involved makes sense once the relevant player isn't some gob ****e with no brain,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Conor Gleeson,FMW, getting rave reviews with Clonmel in the Harty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

No idea to be honest. I saw a load of stuff about reports from the County Board meeting on Twitter, but nothing about the experience of those that have been appointed.

Maybe somebody else could shed some light on that?

John Tracey was over the Passage minor team that won this years championship. Was with the Waterford Sonny Walsh & Tony Forristal winning teams 2009 & 2010. Also the Waterford u.16 team the won the Shield in the Tipperary tournament this year, actually they went unbeaten in that, they lost out on a ruling on scores against, even though they out scored Galway in the group stage, Offally scored 5 pts against them and only managed 4 against Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

Conor Gleeson,FMW, getting rave reviews with Clonmel in the Harty.

Conor was the Captain of this years Waterford u.16 team.

deisedub wrote: »
    John Tracey was over the Passage minor team that won this years championship. Was with the Waterford Sonny Walsh & Tony Forristal winning teams 2009& 2010. Also the Waterfordu.16 team the won the Shield in the Tipperary tournament this year, actually they went unbeaten in that they lost out on a ruling on scores against even though they out scored Galway in the group stage, Offally scored 5 pts against them and only managed 4 against Galway.

Great stuff thanks for that.

Saw that Passage team actually, they were very impressive. Sounds like an excellent addition to the Minor setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

New football manager appointed.

Niall Carew a Kildare man who was selector with McGeeney at Kildare

Dont know much about him but sounds positive enough

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Not wanting to sound cynical but is he just down to cut his teeth in the hope of getting Kildare next year. Then again maybe he is working down here and relishing the challenge in its own right. Wonder how much knowledge he has of our ..ie (County Boards) attitude to football here. If he has hair on his head now..he wont in 12 months time! Still..i wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Munster Junior hurling club fixture for tomorrow(Sunday):
    Butlerstown v Kildorrery (Cork) 2pm, Carriganore.

I suppose positive in the sense that they got someone appointed at all. Getting someone from outside the county seems to be the only way to go really. If he's fresh & hungry let him a have a go of it but his hands are going to be tied whatever way he goes about it. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

WumBuster wrote: »
    Munster Junior hurling club fixture for tomorrow(Sunday):
    Butlerstown v Kildorrery (Cork) 2pm, Carriganore.
    What would you rate Butlerstown's chances as? Kildorrey rode their luck a bit winning the County in Cork and despite the possibility of them missing their best forward tomorrow Kildorrey are warm favourites to progress to the final.

Treble20 wrote: »
    What would you rate Butlerstown's chances as? Kildorrey rode their luck a bit winning the County in Cork and despite the possibility of them missing their best forward tomorrow Kildorrey are warm favourites to progress to the final.

Ya Cork Junior teams tend to be a good bit stronger than the Waterford ones at this level. They have to win a lot more games and beat a lot more teams. But Butlerstown seem to be a good side with some good young players, won their county final pretty easy after losing the final last year, and with home advantage are in with a decent shout I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

WumBuster wrote: »
    Ya Cork Junior teams tend to be a good bit stronger than the Waterford ones at this level. They have to win a lot more games and beat a lot more teams. But Butlerstown seem to be a good side with some good young players, won their county final pretty easy after losing the final last year, and with home advantage are in with a decent shout I would say.
    Could be a lot closer than some people think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoring forward

Was anybody in fraher field yesterday heard on the radio p mahoney and j barron were v good also heard Zol 2 has a sore foot after the refs door would not give way when he kicked it

• Advertisement

Was anybody in fraher field yesterday heard on the radio p mahoney and j barron were v good also heard Zol 2 has a sore foot after the refs door would not give way when he kicked it

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoring forward

2nd match

2nd match

No, which Mahony?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

In your private investigative work i'm presuming you think you have me sussed?!!! Now whatever i'm accused of doing in the fraher field yesterday please fill me in cos as good as i am i've yet to conquer trying to be in 2 places at the one time!! Keep trying though it's giving me a right laugh.
    Now for anyone who was there yesterday what were the games like? Anyone bar the usual suspects stand out?:

Now for anyone who was there yesterday what were the games like? Anyone bar the usual suspects stand out?

And now ill add this bit in to really try prove i was'nt there so it could'nt have been me! :)

I was reading the Observer during the week, and it mentioned in the notes that the Dungarvan club accepted it was involved in an incident after the County Minor final.

I thought Lismore were supposedly the ones in the wrong?

I was reading the Observer during the week, and it mentioned in the notes that the Dungarvan club accepted it was involved in an incident after the County Minor final.

I thought Lismore were supposedly the ones in the wrong?

Accepting you were involved in an inccident does not mean your accepting blame (ie..in the wrong) for said incident!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Accepting you were involved in an inccident does not mean your accepting blame (ie..in the wrong) for said incident!

Yeah I guess. It is of no signifigance if action isn't take against one or both clubs (or more appropriately those involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭thesultan

Lismore involved in after matches aggro again. Ever have before?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭thesultan

Bulterstown hammered. Stradbally lost by a point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement