Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Glad to see Waterford hurling in the city
    is as united as ever
    Dungarvan by 7 points

Good Man, only out by 19 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

What you call arrogance i call self belief.Maybe if Waterford had some of it they might have landed a few all irelands by now.:DI also never heard of a Cork team taking to the pitch with silly arrogant slogans on their shirt.Anyway Dungarvan Abu.:)

so are you saying that dls 3-1-1 slogan is arrogance or self-belief? are do you actually know what ur trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

so are you saying that dls 3-1-1 slogan is arrogance or self-belief? are do you actually know what ur trying to say

What im saying is that they'll look like very silly boys if they don't pull it off.:DAnyway hopefully Mount Sion will put this crowd of arrogant buckos back in their box next year!I also think Sars will beat De Le Salle if they play them.As Fraggie said we left De La Salle off the hook the last we played them but we won't be making that mistake again this time in munster!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

What im saying is that they'll look like very silly boys if they don't pull it off.:DAnyway hopefully Mount Sion will put this crowd of arrogant buckos back in their box next year!I also think Sars will beat De Le Salle if they play them.As Fraggie said we left De La Salle off the hook the last we played them but we won't be making that mistake again this time in munster!

Mount Sion have slipped a bit in recent years as clubs do, like Blackrock and Glen Rovers did in Cork following periods of dominance. This DLS 'crowd' will be knocking around for a few more years to come I have a feeling.
    I have no doubt Sarsfields would be well riled up for DLS should they meet but I would think any game in Munster this year will be pretty much 50/50 looking at the teams from other counties aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Mount Sion have slipped a bit in recent years as clubs do, like Blackrock and Glen Rovers did in Cork following periods of dominance. This DLS 'crowd' will be knocking around for a few more years to come I have a feeling.
    I have no doubt Sarsfields would be well riled up for DLS should they meet but I would think any game in Munster this year will be pretty much 50/50 looking at the teams from other counties aswell

To be honest with you i have a beef with Sars as well.The county board have a serious soft spot for them because Sars took an anti players stance during the last strike.If the Cork county championship was of a higher standard Sars would not have won it.Anyway what is this 3 3 1 thing?Is it three county championship,three munsters and a first all ireland?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Good Luck to the Dungarvan player whose stupid comments he made last Monday in fraher field to the DLS manager will most definitely come back an haunt him I'm 100% positive his team mates would not be happy, he has single handedly given the biggest rile up to the city team,
    He must have nothing between his ears god love him,

Here's hoping we see a tasty county final it's a smashing day out,
    Up The Deise

Tell us more? There's always 1 clown who will say too much in these situations!
    As for today, DLS were always in control,there half back line was totally dominant and when Dungarvan failed with there 2 goal attempts in the 1st half,the writing was on the wall.As a contest it was really over with 25mins to go as really Dungarvan lacked that bit of experience that is needed and also lacked leaders that come with the experience of these big occasions.Twomey at midfield was dominant throughout,i suppose to be brutally honest everyone of the DLS players won there position ,and with the exception of Shane Kearney at wing back for Dungarvan the rest were overrun. It was a case of men against boys today but the most important thing is that Dungarvan learn from this and push on again next year which i've no doubt they will and with the talented younger players coming through this should be used as a learning curve and made use of in the future years. This Dungarvan side will be a force in the future have no doubt about that and it is important that this year's campaign will be built on and the experience gained be used positively in the future.
    As for DLS it was a professional display,clinical and great to watch at times.Going forward in to their Munster campaign i would still be fearful for their full back line which at times looked shaky especially in the 1st half,but what they are is a big strong physical outfit that will stand to them as the campaign goes on and with the experience they have throughout the team i would say write them off at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

One sour note on today's game-Did anyone think that our County Board Secretary took centre stage before the throw in? What in god's name was he at? Full of his own importance if you ask me! Players wound up and ready to go and this FOOL holds up proceedings so as to get subs up in to the stand. Is he Secretary or a steward or a referee or what is his role? And this isn't the first time the eejit has done this! Monday to Friday 9-5 is your job behind the desk,and leave all the other stuff to the people who are supposed to be doing these jobs.Give these muppets a bit of power and they thing they're dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

O Riain wrote: »
    Good Man, only out by 19 points
    ouch and had a hundred euro on it ah well easy come easy go

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Timmy done the exact same thing in the semi final game in Walsh Park holding up the game like that is a joke,it can easily be sorted gettin the subs up into stand.. Just what is the purpose of a Dugout anymore??

DLS were a young team in 2005 losing a County Final by a single point(I think) to an experienced B/G team, they came back an won it in 2008,2010,2012 an are still relatively young they have set different milestones/goals this year with their 3-3-1 I don't see a whole lot wrong with setting goals. In 2011 they could have won the All Ireland club and probably feel they should have won it, so these numbers are being used to help make them believe i don't think it's at all cocky setting goals for the team, now I'd say if they had their time again they probably wouldn't get them on their tracksuit top that is a bit silly in fairness.

As for the beaten finalists I honestly believe Dungarvan can be like DLS in 05 and bounce back they will be contesting many more senior finals for the next few years an I wish them well in doing so, they have some very talented young lads who maybe were just caught out on experience today but they will learn from this and come back stronger, their average age is 23 thats very promising.. They contested the county final u-14,16, an Minor not a bad sign of things to come maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Well done DLS, who will they play in Munster club championship now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

DLS play the Clare champs at a Clare venue.

I agree on Timmy O'Keeffe though I think it's best not to sink to name calling, he doesn't do a bad job in general from my experience of him.

That said it was a farce that that happened again. 20 minutes before the throw in was the time to sort that, it's not fair to supporters, but players especially to have to wait for that.

Think Zol 2 summed up todays game very well. Physically, Dungarvan were so far out of their depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd say the main difference between DLS in 2005 and Dungarvan in 2012 is that although 9 or 10 of that DLS team would have been U21, they had the likes of Mullane, Phelan and Brenner there to steady the ship. Dungarvan don't really have that sort of player yet, but they may go on to do so.

Apart from the two saves Brenner had to make, Dungarvan didn't look like threatening DLS today. The writing was on the wall from the first couple of mins when Mullane opened them up for Dillon's goal. It looked as though every one of DLS's forwards could score at ease, and I think they only registered 2 wides in the first half.

In the 2nd half, DLS started from where they continued, and the game looked over with about 40 mins played. DLS appeared to take the foot off the pedal, and shot a few sloppy wides. You get the sense that they could and should have tagged on a lot more scores.

Moran was awarded man of the match, but I didn't think he was particulary outstanding as he hadn't a whole lot to do - Dungarvan seemed to try and keep ball away from him. I thought Dean Twomey was excellent, and must surely be in line for a starting positon on the county team for 2013. Jake Dillon looked tidy and took his opportunities well, as did McNulty when sprung from the bench.

Thurles Sars won in Tipp today, and you'd fancy them as the team to beat in Munster. Sarsfields (Cork) will also be there or therabouts, but the trip to Clare is a bit hard to predict. The full back line doesn't look as solid as 2010, and this could be exposed in Munster.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'd say the main difference between DLS in 2005 and Dungarvan in 2012 is that although 9 or 10 of that DLS team would have been U21, they had the likes of Mullane, Phelan and Brenner there to steady the ship. Dungarvan don't really have that sort of player yet, but they may go on to do so.

Apart from the two saves Brenner had to make, Dungarvan didn't look like threatening DLS today. The writing was on the wall from the first couple of mins when Mullane opened them up for Dillon's goal. It looked as though every one of DLS's forwards could score at ease, and I think they only registered 2 wides in the first half.

In the 2nd half, DLS started from where they continued, and the game looked over with about 40 mins played. DLS appeared to take the foot off the pedal, and shot a few sloppy wides. You get the sense that they could and should have tagged on a lot more scores.

Moran was awarded man of the match, but I didn't think he was particulary outstanding as he hadn't a whole lot to do - Dungarvan seemed to try and keep ball away from him. I thought Dean Twomey was excellent, and must surely be in line for a starting positon on the county team for 2013. Jake Dillon looked tidy and took his opportunities well, as did McNulty when sprung from the bench.

Thurles Sars won in Tipp today, and you'd fancy them as the team to beat in Munster. Sarsfields will be there or therabouts, but the trip to Clare is a bit hard to predict. The full back line doesn't look as solid as 2010, and this could be exposed in Munster.

Didn't look that solid in the 2010 all-ireland semi final either, but no question it's worse now.

I think Jack Kennedy was impressive today and is a player that can make a big difference with his physical presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Moran was awarded man of the match, but I didn't think he was particulary outstanding as he hadn't a whole lot to do - Dungarvan seemed to try and keep ball away from him. I thought Dean Twomey was excellent, and must surely be in line for a starting positon on the county team for 2013.

Thought that too, Moran was his usual decent self but Twomey, Jack Kennedy and Brian Phelan I thought were better candidates for MOTM. Twomey surely worth a consistent run of games for the county next year. Wonder if Kennedy would be interested in coming back although some may say we'd be better focusing on younger talent coming through.
    Thurles Sars won in Tipp today, and you'd fancy them as the team to beat in Munster. Sarsfields will be there or therabouts, but the trip to Clare is a bit hard to predict. The full back line doesn't look as solid as 2010, and this could be exposed in Munster.

Sars looked strong alright, DLS will have it tough against the Clare champs but they seem to have the belief and the experienced players will be key so I'd give them a good shout.

Didn't look that solid in the 2010 all-ireland semi final either, but no question it's worse now.

I think Jack Kennedy was impressive today and is a player that can make a big difference with his physical presence.

In 2010 they had their pockets picked in one of the best games club games I've seen. Clarinbridge went on to win that final by 12 points, so I won't be too critical of that side.

Despite having lost the two corner backs Russell and Doherty to emigration, lads like Kennedy have come in, Moran is definitely superior, Dillon, Twomey and McNulty have all arrived on the scene and are offering something new so it's hard to tell until we see how they get on against stronger opposition.

In 2010 they had their pockets picked in one of the best games club games I've seen. Clarinbridge went on to win that final by 12 points, so I won't be too critical of that side.

Despite having lost the two corner backs Russell and Doherty to emigration, lads like Kennedy have come in, Moran is definitely superior, Dillon, Twomey and McNulty have all arrived on the scene and are offering something new so it's hard to tell until we see how they get on against stronger opposition.

Twomey was one of there best players in 2010, winning man of the match in the Munster Final. From what I've seen, Jake Dillon has actually struggled to hit the highs he hit then since. I'd agree Moran is better, though how much I don't know because he was lauded then. One thing I'm certain of, is that McNulty isn't close to being the same calibre of impact sub as Madigan was.

They were unlucky in 2010, but at the same time you'd have to say at least 2 of the goals (especially the last one) were preventable. Doherty is a big loss to me, having him there would allow Madigan back up to the forwards, and I think that would suit both parties better.

They'll be a tough side to beat, but they didn't have it easy in Munster last time and they'll be doing very well to beat the likes of Thurles, Sars, Kilmallock, and (their more immediate concern) the Clare champs in Clare.

Didnt see the game yesterday, seen the Tipp final on TG4. Was a great game and the standard looked very high. Youd have to say that Thurles Sars will take beating.
    Was at a good few championsip club games in Waterford this year and it would seem the standard has slipped a bit the last couple of seasons. The second year in a row weve had a very one-sided county final and I dont think that will help DLS greatly in the Munster championship either. They have played some very one-sided games this year and id agree with the above that they havent been hugely tested in defence and could be in danger of being caught cold in Munster, as Ballygunner were last year.

Didnt see the game yesterday, seen the Tipp final on TG4. Was a great game and the standard looked very high. Youd have to say that Thurles Sars will take beating.
    Was at a good few championsip club games in Waterford this year and it would seem the standard has slipped a bit the last couple of seasons. The second year in a row weve had a very one-sided county final and I dont think that will help DLS greatly in the Munster championship either. They have played some very one-sided games this year and id agree with the above that they havent been hugely tested in defence and could be in danger of being caught cold in Munster, as Ballygunner were last year.

In 2010 DLS won a one sided county final against Ballygunner by 8 points, that was over as a contest quite early before Ballygunner tagged on some late scores to add respectability. They also won their semi final against Tallow by 21 points, and the quarter final I can remember them hammering someone else, so I don't think the one sided championships were confined to the last two years.

In 2010 DLS won a one sided county final against Ballygunner by 8 points, that was over as a contest quite early before Ballygunner tagged on some late scores to add respectability. They also won their semi final against Tallow by 21 points, and the quarter final I can remember them hammering someone else, so I don't think the one sided championships were confined to the last two years.

Yea your right actually think it was Passage they hockeyed in the semis and tallow in the quarters. The difference with the 10' final is Ballygunner just didnt show up on the day whereas the last 2 finals the defeated teams were basically completely out of their depth. Id be interested to see the other club champions in Munsters results, have they been hockeying all around them in their respective championships or would they be more battle hardened coming into the Munster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭thesultan

38 of a panel. most clubs would barely have that with a junior team as well as senior. Wadding again always tries to stake claim as the center of attention when you have two teams playing. Very fussy at times yesterday again. Tallow was lambasted last year after their county final hammering yet Dungarvan seemed to have escaped

• Advertisement

Speaking of junior, fair play to Butlerstown on their win. They were very unlucky not to go up last year after playing the county final and two replays. I hear they have been doing good work at underage, so nice to see a team start to see some of that coming through.

Speaking of junior, fair play to Butlerstown on their win. They were very unlucky not to go up last year after playing the county final and two replays. I hear they have been doing good work at underage, so nice to see a team start to see some of that coming through.

Well, they're combined with Dunhill/Fenor underage.

Well, they're combined with Dunhill/Fenor underage.

Ok, but I see them appearing as Butlerstown. Is it that Dunhill or Fenor don't field underage teams and Butlerstown accept their players at underage level?

Ok, but I see them appearing as Butlerstown. Is it that Dunhill or Fenor don't field underage teams and Butlerstown accept their players at underage level?

They started doing it I'm fairly sure when I was u14, and they appeared as Butlerstown then, that was the year they won like division 4 or 6 of the féile.

I dunno what the story is now with their juvenile teams (I'll check), but the u21 team is called Clann Na Gael now.

They started doing it I'm fairly sure when I was u14, and they appeared as Butlerstown then, that was the year they won like division 4 or 6 of the féile.

I dunno what the story is now with their juvenile teams (I'll check), but the u21 team is called Clann Na Gael now.

Ok, makes sense by the sounds of things though. The three are small enough clubs so to be competing with large clubs at underage level is a good achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Known as na ngael (Butlerstown Dunhill & fennor)at minor and seperate from u16 downwards i think. They also invested in their club facilities over the last 18 months which should stand to them playing up a level next year. Anyone know who won the east intermediate league this year, I know An Ring won the west beating Colligan in the final, just curious as this was the first year a league was introduced for intermediate clubs.

alllcounty wrote: »
    Known as na ngael (Butlerstown Dunhill & fennor)at minor and seperate from u16 downwards i think. They also invested in their club facilities over the last 18 months which should stand to them playing up a level next year. Anyone know who won the east intermediate league this year, I know An Ring won the west beating Colligan in the final, just curious as this was the first year a league was introduced for intermediate clubs.

This is true, just looked at it there.

I know we played Butlerstown that year, and I heard they'd amalgamated but I dunno maybe they hadn't because they were just called Butlerstown.

It used be Ballyduff/Butlerstown when I was playing. Is that gone now? Who are Ballyduff Lower with then?

It used be Ballyduff/Butlerstown when I was playing. Is that gone now? Who are Ballyduff Lower with then?

Are Ballyduff Lower part of St Mary's? Isn't that around the Kilmac, Newtown/Ballydurn, Bonmahon sort of area?

Actually if anyone could be good enough to post what the other group underage sides are made up I'd appreciate it. I often see teams like St.Carthages, St.Oliver's, St.Pat's, Cois Bride, Naomh Brid etc. and wonder who exactly they are.

• Advertisement

Are Ballyduff Lower part of St Mary's? Isn't that around the Kilmac, Newtown/Ballydurn, Bonmahon sort of area?

Actually if anyone could be good enough to post what the other group underage sides are made up I'd appreciate it. I often see teams like St.Carthages, St.Oliver's, St.Pat's, Cois Bride, Naomh Brid etc. and wonder who exactly they are.

St Carthages=Lismore and Ballysaggart, Cois Bhride=Tallow and Shamrocks, St Pat's (also Naoimh Brid, and become Comeragh Gaels at u21)=Modeligo, St Marys Touraneena and Colligan, St Olivers=Ballinameela and Gerladines, Glenshelane=Cappoquin, Tourin, Aglish (known just as Cappoquin until u21). Think that's pretty much all the west ones, not sure what the East teams are mad up of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement