Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

may fly

Options
  • 03-05-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

the mad season is here, the fly are up on ree:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

whats the deal with the mayfly, is the fishing that much better when they are out? I always here people harkin on about them, im thinkin I must get me a piece of this action!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

the trout go on a feeding frenzy on these little lads, dapping live flies or dry flies can produce good fishing,i dont usually get to do too much as clay shooting and work at this time of yr is busy, but lost the job last yr so time is a plenty...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

They're up on the Corrib as well, some big hatches in the Oughterard Bay area over the weekend.

The more experienced anglers than I reckon it'll be another week or so before the trout are fully "on" the mayfly but I saw plenty of activity yesterday with flies being taken off the surface.

Bring on the dap..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

well if anyone fancies sharing the cost of a boat on one of the lakes i'd be more than happy to join some one for a bit of mayfly bashing!:P

Caribs wrote: »
    They're up on the Corrib as well, some big hatches in the Oughterard Bay area over the weekend.

The more experienced anglers than I reckon it'll be another week or so before the trout are fully "on" the mayfly but I saw plenty of activity yesterday with flies being taken off the surface.

Bring on the dap..!!
    prob be the same here, a week or so, its early if comes on strong now!, but i heard off fish being taken on the dapp yesterday!!
    hope to venture out tomorrow with a mate o mine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Bring on the dap..!!

I was on corrib on saturday and while yes, the hatches were fairly prolific in that bay I dont think its only time they need to 'switch on' its a change in conditions that are needed too. Its just to damn bright at the moment and a change from an easterly wind to a southerly wind would be a help too.........anyway's i'll be fishing it again this weekend and my hope's are high for a couple of days of cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Yep they are up on the Nore and Barrow but not in great numbers although that was a week ago.. there wasn't enough about for trout to feed, but I would give it another week or so on the rivers and there maybe action...

although the forecast is for rain, I am not sure will that affect hatches.

keppler wrote: »
    I was on corrib on saturday and while yes, the hatches were fairly prolific in that bay I dont think its only time they need to 'switch on' its a change in conditions that are needed too. Its just to damn bright at the moment and a change from an easterly wind to a southerly wind would be a help too.........anyway's i'll be fishing it again this weekend and my hope's are high for a couple of days of cloud!

Couldn't agree more keppler, was out for an hour this evening and there was nothing doing. Couple of mayfly about but conditions were awful, a nice south/southwesterly would help us all out as opposed to the strong East/North Easterlies we've had for the last week or so along with the sunshine. Here's hoping..!!

getting reports now of some good hatches on ree, and fish being caught too, sounds like its just starting to kick off here:)... hope to get up 2moro and see for myself where we are at!

still not got up on ree to get dapping yet!! hopefully this weekend, getting conflicting reports now, its a bit hit and miss! some guys geting good fishing, some not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

was out on ree yesterday. good hatch on, even between the couple hail showers. hooked into 2 and landed one (of corse lost a BIG ONE after 10 min fight. :() there were a good few boats out in the area but don't know how they got on.

decdon wrote: »
    was out on ree yesterday. good hatch on, even between the couple hail showers. hooked into 2 and landed one (of corse lost a BIG ONE after 10 min fight. :() there were a good few boats out in the area but don't know how they got on.
    was out friday too for 5hrs only though, no fish but plenty o fly as you said, i heard was a big hatch on thurs on west shore, i seen no one at the hare or marks, i supose they were all over that way, :rolleyes: goin up sunday again, see how it goes

Was out on Corrib all day yesterday, big competition out of Oughterard for the mayfly.

Weather wasn't great as the wind was very squally and the lake got bumpy as hell around lunch time - not pleasant at all.

Saw plenty of fish rising but they were very hard to catch, there was a big hatch most of yesterday so the fish had plenty of options to choose from and mine wasn't one of them :(

There weren't many fish caught in the competition but those that were landed seemed to have been caught on a variety of methods including dapping naturals, wets and dry flies. The fish I saw were in great condition and full as the proverbial butchers pup with mayfly!

got 2 trout yesterday both dapping the best 2lb 6oz,

Nice one, I'm jealous...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Was out on Corrib all day yesterday, big competition out of Oughterard for the mayfly.

Weather wasn't great as the wind was very squally and the lake got bumpy as hell around lunch time - not pleasant at all.

Saw plenty of fish rising but they were very hard to catch, there was a big hatch most of yesterday so the fish had plenty of options to choose from and mine wasn't one of them :(

There weren't many fish caught in the competition but those that were landed seemed to have been caught on a variety of methods including dapping naturals, wets and dry flies. The fish I saw were in great condition and full as the proverbial butchers pup with mayfly!

I was there too.......17 trout for 120+ rods!!!!!!!!!! shocking.

heading back onto ree tomorrow, prob no more than a week left of the dapp here, from what some have been saying, broke an oar last week:rolleyes:, lynch boats are hard to get off the rocks with the wind blowin you in there, well thats my excuse anyway:D

rose 2 fish on dry flies, hooked neither:rolleyes:, tough day up there, i cant seem to get a decent dry may fly to suit ree... i am hitting fish on spent knat or daddy's have had fish refuse dry mayflies:mad:...

the dapp is the best way i think,

Advertisement