Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/connery-expands-horizon-194432.html

Good article here from yesterdays examiner. The committment given by the footballers that come from Dublin for training midweek is unbelivable...best of luck to them today in Limerick.

Even without Hurney I fancy an upset, especially if Ferncombe starts, he's extremely dangerous.

Great start to the day with the juniors winning by 6 points, lets hope the seniors follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Hslaw wrote: »
    Maybe its time to stop underestimating clubs from the west,they are getting better,

Undoubtedly, but Ballyduff Upper at present are bottom of Group 2, and Dunhill are not an eastern team and that was a really bad result for Mount Sion. I wouldn't put too much stock in the league mind you, I'd imagine they were missing all their County players bar Tony so it's probably irrelevant. They are, however, fighting for their lives if they lose to Fourmilewater next weekend.
    Ive worked out that if dunhill lose to roanmore and mount sion lose to fourmile and tallow, sion are in relegation, i dont think anybody underestimates the teams from the west anymore, west abu

[/Quote]
    Ive worked out that if dunhill lose to roanmore and mount sion lose to fourmile and tallow, sion are in relegation, i dont think anybody underestimates the teams from the west anymore, west abu[/Quote]
    As in roanmore will have 3 points, dunhill 2 and sion be bottom regardless of roanmore game because of head to head with dunhill game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

15 strawberries

good one

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Limerick 2-12 Waterford 0-7

We failed to score in the second half having put up a sterling effort in the first half,what went wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

zol 2 wrote: »
    Limerick 2-12 Waterford 0-7

We failed to score in the second half having put up a sterling effort in the first half,what went wrong?

Sounded like the option-taking by Waterford was terrible in the second half. After you missed the penalty, it all went wrong I think.

We also upped our defensive effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Waterford minor hurlers:

Waterford 3-24

Laois 0-12

A second string Waterford outfit won this comfortably today in Walsh Park.None of the 15 that started against Clare started here.

One piece of bad news to come out of the camp is that Cathal Curran will miss the Tipp game as he will be having a hand operation next week and will be out for up to 8 weeks.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Sounded like the option-taking by Waterford was terrible in the second half. After you missed the penalty, it all went wrong I think.

We also upped our defensive effort.

Very hard to take any positives out of this. No score in the 2nd half against a pretty poor limerick side. Further underlines how much we rely on Gary Hurney (who isnt going to be around for ever either).

John Owens I know has been critical of the co. boards decision to play a round of the hurling championship last weekend, he has a point as football championship games have often been cancelled weeks before the hurlers are due to play, but in truth we have gone backwards this year anyway and Id question if Owens has much more to offer after this season is over. Our record in the qualifiers is so bad its hard to see us doing anything in that either. Its been a pretty grim year for waterford football overall

zol 2 wrote: »
    One piece of bad news to come out of the camp is that Cathal Curran will miss the Tipp game as he will be having a hand operation next week and will be out for up to 8 weeks.

Big loss becuase that lad was outstanding in Ennis and for Col na Deise this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Very hard to take any positives out of this. No score in the 2nd half against a pretty poor limerick side. Further underlines how much we rely on Gary Hurney (who isnt going to be around for ever either).

John Owens I know has been critical of the co. boards decision to play a round of the hurling championship last weekend, he has a point as football championship games have often been cancelled weeks before the hurlers are due to play, but in truth we have gone backwards this year anyway and Id question if Owens has much more to offer after this season is over. Our record in the qualifiers is so bad its hard to see us doing anything in that either. Its been a pretty grim year for waterford football overall

Ah they're missing more than Hurney though. Paul Whyte missed out today, a player I've fierce respect for. Tommy Prender is only just back after a long lay off. Dunno what the story with Mick Ahearn is but they could really do with him too.

The way Waterford football has been underage the last few years it's hard to see where the Seniors are supposed to get the players and the ability to drive on, there's no real foundation to build from. I don't think we've a bad football team, they could do with a boost though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ah they're missing more than Hurney though. Paul Whyte missed out today, a player I've fierce respect for. Tommy Prender is only just back after a long lay off. Dunno what the story with Mick Ahearn is but they could really do with him too.

The way Waterford football has been underage the last few years it's hard to see where the Seniors are supposed to get the players and the ability to drive on, there's no real foundation to build from. I don't think we've a bad football team, they could do with a boost though.

They've been operating like a country club side in recent years, hoping to have a strong underage team every few years, and then bring the odd lad through every year.

I'm worried about the long term as the standard of underteams has fallen dramatically in recent years, and from what I can see the underage club standard has gone in a similar direction.

I heard that the Co.B are looking for a Director of Football, and at least this might be a move in the right direction. Every other county around us have upped their game, we need to do likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hardybuck wrote: »
    They've been operating like a country club side in recent years, hoping to have a strong underage team every few years, and then bring the odd lad through every year.

I'm worried about the long term as the standard of underteams has fallen dramatically in recent years, and from what I can see the underage club standard has gone in a similar direction.

I heard that the Co.B are looking for a Director of Football, and at least this might be a move in the right direction. Every other county around us have upped their game, we need to do likewise.

The story on the ground is that Clubs were asked to forward names of those who they think might be best suited for the position. Only one name was forwarded, rumoured to be a present county senior footballer and he turned down the position. The County Board and Coiste Peil are now supposed to be looking for someone between them. I know there it is not right to name names here at times but will here. I believe we have a very good man in the county to fill the positon if asked - John 'Jackson' Kiely. Whoever takes the job will have to be back fully by the county board, as should Bord na nÓg and the Coaching Committee. Tipp have come on alot after John Evans got involved there. There is no reason why the same cant happen here.

Black Suir wrote: »
    The story on the ground is that Clubs were asked to forward names of those who they think might be best suited for the position. Only one name was forwarded, rumoured to be a present county senior footballer and he turned down the position. The County Board and Coiste Peil are now supposed to be looking for someone between them. I know there it is not right to name names here at times but will here. I believe we have a very good man in the county to fill the positon if asked - John 'Jackson' Kiely. Whoever takes the job will have to be back fully by the county board, as should Bord na nÓg and the Coaching Committee. Tipp have come on alot after John Evans got involved there. There is no reason why the same cant happen here.

I heard the name forwarded, and I think he would be a fantastic choice. I think that this position is unpaid, which wouldn't help when attracting candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Anyone recommending John Kiely for an administrative position clearly has no experience of dealing with him.

// edit

I literally cannot stress how bad a choice this would be. The position is about promotion of underage football through administration and organization. Kiely has some qualities but these are not them. Not even close.

solarith wrote: »
    Anyone recommending John Kiely for an administrative position clearly has no experience of dealing with him.

// edit

I literally cannot stress how bad a choice this would be. The position is about promotion of underage football through administration and organization. Kiely has some qualities but these are not them. Not even close.

I completely agree with you. Kiely has little coaching ability, would be a disaster with administration. Wouldn't have anywhere near the level of professionalism required.

While I hate to be critical of people who have given so much of their time to the county, he was a safe pair of hands for a county board who were particularly anti-football at the time. With the raw talent Waterford had at the time, we should be an established Div 3 or even Div 2 county at this stage.

Enough football talk, bad team, bad county board, bad for years for bad reasons, back to the hurling for some excitement

I completely agree with you. Kiely has little coaching ability, would be a disaster with administration. Wouldn't have anywhere near the level of professionalism required.

While I hate to be critical of people who have given so much of their time to the county, he was a safe pair of hands for a county board who were particularly anti-football at the time. With the raw talent Waterford had at the time, we should be an established Div 3 or even Div 2 county at this stage.
    Kiely got the right people playing football again (no one could deny that), but stayed on for years longer than he should have, and in the end was a real limiting agent to the team's progression. Also I agree that we should be established div 3 team, the relegation last year was a serious blow to everyone.

@Top Drawer - maybe you could try and guide the conversation if you want/are capable of something constructive and/or intelligent instead of just being an ass.

Kiely got the right people playing football again (no one could deny that), but stayed on for years longer than he should have, and in the end was a real limiting agent to the team's progression. Also I agree that we should be established div 3 team, the relegation last year was a serious blow to everyone.

@Top Drawer - maybe you could try and guide the conversation if you want/are capable of something constructive and/or intelligent instead of just being an ass.

I wouldn't agree. One of his key faults in my eyes were his bizarre team selections.

If you look at other counties who haven't won U21 Championships since we've won one - counties like Meath, Louth, Westmeath, Sligo, Derry, Monaghan etc., they're all challenging for senior provincials and established division 2 & 3 counties.

But aside from that, we're agreeing that Kiely wouldn't be the man for the job. Perhaps we should go straight out and approach Evans. He has done the job in Tipp with success and is obviously still hungry for work as he has joined Meath as a selector. Unfortunately we probably wouldn't have the resources to attract someone like that.

I wouldn't agree. One of his key faults in my eyes were his bizarre team selections.

If you look at other counties who haven't won U21 Championships since we've won one - counties like Meath, Louth, Westmeath, Sligo, Derry, Monaghan etc., they're all challenging for senior provincials and established division 2 & 3 counties.

But aside from that, we're agreeing that Kiely wouldn't be the man for the job. Perhaps we should go straight out and approach Evans. He has done the job in Tipp with success and is obviously still hungry for work as he has joined Meath as a selector. Unfortunately we probably wouldn't have the resources to attract someone like that.

Well, Tipp went from Owens to Evans and progressed....! Maybe if they begged Jason Ryan too seeing as he is now based in Dungarvan :P

Well, Tipp went from Owens to Evans and progressed....! Maybe if they begged Jason Ryan too seeing as he is now based in Dungarvan :P

How many Senior championship games did they win under Evans?

I don't doubt that he had an involvement in their underage, but not to the extent he would claim himself. Don't think he was all he was cracked up to be.

It would be truly wonderful to say Jason involved in Waterford football, but it won't happen in the near future I wouldn't think.

• Advertisement

How many Senior championship games did they win under Evans?

I don't doubt that he had an involvement in their underage, but not to the extent he would claim himself. Don't think he was all he was cracked up to be.

It would be truly wonderful to say Jason involved in Waterford football, but it won't happen in the near future I wouldn't think.

Tbf theyve been unlucky with draws the got the last few seasons coming up against Kerry. They did get into Division 2 under his reign. They got relegated then and no doubt it all went a bit stale under him the last season or two. But minor and 21 progress cant be ignored.

I dont think he has come out claiming to have single handedly turned the fortunes of Tipp football either. He just realised the potential that was there and helped point the right people in the right direction. Thats what we need aswell. Just a separate body to look out for the interests of football in the county, and not to be walked all over by the hurling people so much.

The only thing they got wrong in Tipp was leaving Evans as manager of the seniors for as long as they did. It blatantly wasnt working anymore but were probably afraid to make the call due to all the other good work he was doing

Tbf theyve been unlucky with draws the got the last few seasons coming up against Kerry. They did get into Division 2 under his reign. They got relegated then and no doubt it all went a bit stale under him the last season or two. But minor and 21 progress cant be ignored.

I dont think he has come out claiming to have single handedly turned the fortunes of Tipp football either. He just realised the potential that was there and helped point the right people in the right direction. Thats what we need aswell. Just a separate body to look out for the interests of football in the county, and not to be walked all over by the hurling people so much.

The only thing they got wrong in Tipp was leaving Evans as manager of the seniors for as long as they did. It blatantly wasnt working anymore but were probably afraid to make the call due to all the other good work he was doing

I'd accept that they have been pretty unlucky with the draws in Munster, though I do feel that they'd never have beaten Limerick in the championship (cept maybe last year) when he was in charge, and I'd be skeptical about saying they'd definitely have beaten us as well. It may have worked in his favour in that sense that his reputation wasn't tarnished.

As for his involvement in their underage, I think it was far more limited than he would have you believe. Heard second hand from people that know Tipp players that he has a huge ego and that the players didn't like him at all towards the end. It wasn't that it got stale, they just couldn't handle his personality and I think that is evidenced by them drawing and winning their last two games in the league.

Anyway, gone way off topic with this. This is a Waterford page, so I'll stop talking about Tipp. Think we'd be better served to find our own way of doing things (and I mean doing them properly, not like now) rather than just copying Tipp. If we do that, we'll always be a step or two behind them.

Think we'd be better served to find our own way of doing things (and I mean doing them properly, not like now) rather than just copying Tipp. If we do that, we'll always be a step or two behind them.

I know a lot of people looking to go that direction though in order to improve things and in fairness it isnt a bad model to go on. People above have been mentioning Jackson Kiely and someone similar to John Evans for this role.

I dont have anyone particular in mind myself I wouldnt really know that much about people around at the moment. What I would think is that if we were to get someone like that in is that he wouldnt exactly need to be some sort of a gealic football genius. Obviously experience in the game and administrative skills would be important but the main thing for me would be someone who would be strong enough to stand up and be counted , and someone who would be willing to listen to what people on the ground are saying.

We should learn from the Tipp model and maybe see its not a great idea to have the same person as manager of the intercounty teams. A 'directior of gealic football' should be someone to oversee the ongoing progress and development of the game within the county from an administrative level and make sure that the right people are on the sidelines overseeing the onfield activities. Whether its a fulltime or part time role is debatable.

Personally I think football in the county is still recovering from the disastrous administration under the previous co. board Chairman in which the game was completely disrespected. There are a lot of genuine football people within the county that are fighting an uphill battle and deserve better backup from the powers that be

I know a lot of people looking to go that direction though in order to improve things and in fairness it isnt a bad model to go on. People above have been mentioning Jackson Kiely and someone similar to John Evans for this role.

I dont have anyone particular in mind myself I wouldnt really know that much about people around at the moment. What I would think is that if we were to get someone like that in is that he wouldnt exactly need to be some sort of a gealic football genius. Obviously experience in the game and administrative skills would be important but the main thing for me would be someone who would be strong enough to stand up and be counted , and someone who would be willing to listen to what people on the ground are saying.

We should learn from the Tipp model and maybe see its not a great idea to have the same person as manager of the intercounty teams. A 'directior of gealic football' should be someone to oversee the ongoing progress and development of the game within the county from an administrative level and make sure that the right people are on the sidelines overseeing the onfield activities. Whether its a fulltime or part time role is debatable.

Personally I think football in the county is still recovering from the disastrous administration under the previous co. board Chairman in which the game was completely disrespected. There are a lot of genuine football people within the county that are fighting an uphill battle and deserve better backup from the powers that be

Your finally talkin sense lad ;)

Your finally talkin sense lad ;)

Im a gaa man like the rest of ye too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Not to be derailing the Waterford thread or anything, but just wanted to echo Mountain's comments re Tipperary Football and the input that Evans had in it, all the current underage success had nothing to do with Evans, all the structures that fed this success were in place and were bearing fruit long before he's arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

When do Waterford kick-off their Munster Hurling Championship campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    When do Waterford kick-off their Munster Hurling Championship campaign?

17th June against Clare and I'd say there will be plenty of kicking in it.

Scores of note: U21 Challenege game last night Clare 7-21 Kilkenny 1-16 We play Clare in the championship on July 21st:eek:

Also Wexford beat Galway 4-21 to 1-10 indicates they are a force to be reckoned with too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Scores of note: U21 Challenege game last night Clare 7-21 Kilkenny 1-16 We play Clare in the championship on July 21st:eek:
    Also Wexford beat Galway 4-21 to 1-10 indicates they are a force to be reckoned with too
    I know its just a challenge but
    Jesus Clare really hammered them,the cats not use to been thumped around the place like that,
    Great win for wexford too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement