Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man beaten up by Garda impersonator

• 12-04-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Mirror wrote:
    A man was brutally beaten and dumped unconscious in a ditch after being pulled over by a fake unmarked Garda car.

The shocking incident happened in Meath in the early hours of Thursday when he was duped into pulling over by the vehicle with blue flashing lights.

The victim, in his 30s, was driving home from work shortly before 4am when he was targeted at Connell’s Cross, near Trim.

This is from the mirror so probably has the accuracy of a spud gun but still has confirmed quotes from AGS so a bit of a noteworthy story.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-beaten-dumped-ditch-fake-5496034#rlabs=2

Looks like another reason to check that unmarked car is actually an unmarked car. Have any AGS members here ever come across a member of the public ringing to confirm that a Guard is legit?

Sad reflection on society also that in 2km not one car would stop for someone in distress. No-one says you have to put yourself in danger to help someone, just checking out what's wrong can be done from within the car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

There was a south Dublin gangster, named after a snake, who never pulled over for unmarked cars and instead drove to the nearest station. He'd been shot quite a few times before though so I guess he had cause.

The easiest way to check if the person isn't a real plain clothes Garda is to keep your door locked and engine on until you see some I.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I have just driven 18 miles on rural roads , and there were very few cars on the road .

Anyway ,this was in the back of my mind all the time , and i had decided if I was stopped by unmarked blue flashing lights , I was going to stay driving until I was outside a house , or a well-lit up area.

Like I was driving within the speed limit and everything is right on the car ,so I felt , there would be no need for anyone to pull me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

There was a south Dublin gangster, named after a snake, who never pulled over for unmarked cars and instead drove to the nearest station. He'd been shot quite a few times before though so I guess he had cause.

The easiest way to check if the person isn't a real plain clothes Garda is to keep your door locked and engine on until you see some I.D.

That may work if you're in a city and you know where the nearest station is. But, what happens if you're down the country and also in a mobile black spot? Could find yourself with a very angry copper who thinks you're taking the p1ss or trying to escape.

Also, how many members of the public know what real I.d looks like?

(None of this is a jab at you BTW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This seems like the way to go. Plus assess the guy walking towards you in the rear view mirror. If a cop is in plain clothes he does have to show you iD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement