Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Fire Brigade losing ambulances to HSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Old diesel wrote: »
    Without a doubt

If Non Beliver14 was on the prime time programme tonight giving his or her input - I think I can safely say - that it would improve the programme marvellously.

But alas :( - I fear we won't be seeing contributions of that quality on Prime time :( - even though it would help a balanced debate.

Well we have another day to convince NonBeliever14 to take part in the programme as it has been postponed until tomorrow night due to the resignation of the Garda Commissioner.

It's great to see the actual figures of how many advanced paramedics responded to the calls that the systems states they should. 5% DFB compliance as opposed to 68% compliance with the NAS. It's not a fire based EMS that saves lives alone, it is an Advanced Life Support (ALS) populated service that saves lives.

Of the approximate 48 advanced paramedics that graduate each year, 40 of those are NAS advanced paramedics whilst the remaining figures of approximately 8 account for DFB and Defence Forces collectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Facebook is telling me that the PrimeTime Special is delayed due to the big news of the day; the AGS commissioner resigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭supermedic

Another excellent post Nonbeliver14, Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Millenium Falcon

1st point: Lets look at some numbers. In 2013, NAS responded to 860,000+ calls. Even if you believe the 75,000+ DFB claim? (and remember, they report actual verified numbers to the HSE so they will know the actual amount) this does not equate to "40%". Remeber, just because you hear a bark, doesn't mean it came from a dog.
    The DFB/NAS joint SIPTU submission to the Public accounts committee states that there were 280,572 calls last year of which
    Emergency Call: 230,433
    • Urgent Call: 50,139
    • Echo Call: 2,916
    • Delta Call: 85,670

DFB only respond to emergency calls so 75000 would work out at about 33% of Emergency calls nationally. (I actually believe DFB responded to over 80,000 which is closer to 35% but we won't split hairs). It is still a substantial percentage of the national emergency call volume. Woof.

2nd point: every health system uses "casemix" to determine accurate workload and expected resource consumption. In simple terms, the cost of "a call" responded to from Dolphin's Barn DFB Station for a Chest Pain (let's say it is a STEMI) is a fraction of the cost of "a call" responded to from Castletownbere NAS Station for a Chest Pain (let's say it is a STEMI). One "call" will result in disposition of the patient in possibly 20 minutes with limited labour and non labour costs while the other exact same "call" could take 2 hours to result in patient disposition and may involve the use of a helicopter (comparing apples with oranges)
    It is absolutely comparing apples and oranges but lets not imagine that HEMS is used all the time. I wish we had more HEMS units available in rural areas as it really saves lives.
    The only real difference between cost in two ambulances however is the diesel and the hourly pay of the crew. There would not be a huge amount of extra meds or equipment used.
    3rd point: Fire Based EMS is predominantly a US model and one that is almost exclusively "city" based. NAS does not have the luxury of a dozen Stations in a small city scape environment. Instead, NAS is expected to deliver the same level of response from Mizen Head to Malin Head. Comparing these two organisations is at best farcical. The top three ambulance services in the world are "not" integrated with Fire but with the health system.
    Surely the points you make here are telling us that a fire based EMS system is the ideal system for Dublin as were are almost exclusively city based. As for being US only. It is used in many European and Asian cities also. What you mean is it is not done in the UK so therefore we don't do it. We do have the 'luxury' of a dozen station in our city. I personally think fire EMS works in larger urban areas like Dublin whilst a fire first responder system in conjuction with a national ambulance service works in rural areas (and I believe some counties do that). Could you list the top three ambulance services and why they are 'top'?
    4th point: EMS is an out of date term from the US. Today, the worlds most progressive and innovative ambulance services treat about 40-50% of their workload without lights and sirens and without going to hospital. The future of Pre Hospital Emergency Care lies in diversification into "Out of Hospital" care. A subtle but important difference which can only be achieved if the ambulance service is integrated with Primary, Social, Children and Family and Mental health Services. Fire Services have an important role to play in "first response" to life threatening calls but in reality, these are a small proportion of any modern or future ambulance services workload. Lot's of international experience on this point.
    Treat and refer can be done by any well trained individual regardless of uniform. However it is when the sh1t hits the fan that integrated fire EMS works better.
    5th point: Paramedic CPC (when it arrives from PHECC) will become a huge financial millstone for every registrant and any approved service provider. It will improve patient safety and the quality of care provided. It is unsustainable to suggest that DFB should continue to spend money upskilling 800 Paramedics to have just over 100 provide an emergency ambulance service. If we are all so confident that Paramedics on Fire Engines are "necessary", let's do a transparent audit of everyone's practice to see how many interventions (at Paramedic level) they did that someone else did not also claim credit for. Again, Fire Services have an important role to play in "first response" to life threatening emergencies but not just in Dublin.
    I would suggest that the same be done is some of the more remote regions of the country. How many working arrests (not asystoles) has someone in north donegal gone to in the last year? I get the feeling that most DFB paramedics will do fine out of such a study. Some of the officers might be out of practice but personally I believe the same could be said about many NAS officers.
    Last point: wanting to continue to do something because you have done it a particular way for 150 years is not a valid reason to avoid change. Again, if we are confident the system as is works, why do we still have duplicate responses, why did the C&AG recommend elimination of duplicate control arrangements. Why not have a review by appropriate experts whom can confirm that Dublin needs 800+ Firefighters to do approx 15000 fire calls (about 4000 are hoax or alarm calls) and that doing the emergency ambulance work is not a form of subvention to shoulder the cost of having a standing army of Fire fighters (I know nothing about Fire Services)
    You need a standing army of firefighters because at some point you WILL need a standing army of firefighters. Large fires/incidents happen. THey may not happen every week or year but that does not mean you don't have people ready to go. There are not 800 firefighters on at the same time. It works out at approx 200 on each of the 4 watches. Taking into account leave etc that leaves you with about 170 on at a given time (these numbers are actually lower again). 170 fire fighters for a city of over 1.25 million is very low by international standards. Why not have some of those 170 provide ambulance work as well. The citizens may as well get their monies worth out of them.[/QUOTE]
    Not for a moment taking away from the best intentions of anyone trying to deliver services but don't be blinkered by the usual commentators and journalists whom are so hungry for print copy they will print anything regardless of the validity of all of the content.
    I agree wholeheartedly on that comment and some of my colleagues can be very foolish in how they bandy around comments. I believe there is plenty of room for both services here and we are both doing a damn fine job given the management we have been lumbered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Millenium Falcon

There are some interesting comments on this thread. Some are unbelievably misinformed. Despite the obvious fact that a range of syndicating journalists have decided to accelerate HSE bashing (and by association, NAS bashing) in recent weeks, none have attempted to inject any balance or indeed challenge any so called "truths" on which much of the conjecture is based. A simple example, IFESA chairperson states 40% of all ambulance calls are in Dublin. A blatant lie, whether you use one or more categories of ambulance calls. All journalists, as well as the usual commentators (IFESA and the usual Private Ambulance operators), continue to ignore or avoid some basic facts which are extractable through an FOI request (you don't have to believe what you need here):
    Again I will quote the joint DFB/NAS SIPTU submission which shows that the DFB responded to between 33 and 35% of emergency calls nationally. It's not 40% but it's in the ballpark. The ALL ambulance calls bit is of course wrong wrong wrong.
    more than two thirds of the population live outside of Dublin (check the Census)
    Yup. Dublin has 1/3 of the population. I counted.
    In December 2013, only the NAS in the MW, former East (Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow) and the Midlands achieved the 19 minute response time for DELTA/ECHO calls. This target have never been achieved in the areas of Dublin not primarily serviced by NAS
    Probably down to the fact that many DFB ambulances are held in the ED. Yes HSE ambos are too but there are certain areas that DFB caters that seem to really like holding on to us.
    The Private Ambulance company whom is now tweeting support for DFB, sued the State in the EU Court because DFB did not compete in a procurement process. The same commentator, whom criticises NAS on an almost daily basis, sued the HSE when they tried to initially introduce the Intermediate Care Service claiming it would harm their business. PHECC are subject to FOI so it would be interesting to get copies of all correspondence they have received from the same source.
    Don't know enough about this to comment so I won't.
    IFESA regularly call for a National Fire Service because of fragmentation and inconsistency amongst Fire Authorities. Apparently it's OK to not have a single National Ambulance Service and to have a fragmented service in Dublin
    I think IFESA call for a national fire and ambulance service under direct control of a government dept rather than individual councils and the madness that is the HSE.
    In addition to the Response KPIs published by HIQA, there is an additional "qualitative" KPI which all services collect. It relates to the percentage of ECHO/DELTA calls that are responded to by an Advanced Paramedic. DFB's own figures in 2013 put the figure at less than 5% while the NAS figure is 68%. Apparently, the quality of NAS services outside of Dublin are inferior. Is it true that Advanced Paramedics in DFB are promoted to Sub Officer and therefore stop crewing emergency ambulances?????
    Two points here. Firstly the HSE won't fund DFB to put AP cars on the road even though they have been requested. THe only time the AP car goes on the road is when we have trainee APs in (including NAS!) and when we are overmanned.
    Second point. The figures don't count when an AP responds whilst on a fire engine. That is being changed. Finally DFB APs apply for promotion just like everyone else and if they get it then they no longer man ambulances but still respond to Echo and Deltas on the motors.
    HIQA legislation does not provide it with powers to regulate or inspect any Fire Service. Given the public confidence in HiQA inspections, are the public happy to not have access to regulatory reassurance. The review announced by the Minister for Health, to be conducted by HIQA, will not encompass DFB, unless they volunteer themselves to it.
    DFB EMS can easily be added to HIQAs remit at the stroke of a pen. DFB will strive to achieve the HIQA guidelines regardless. Its a strawman argument.
    NAS is so dysfunctional that it is able to coordinate and deliver aeromedical services using both it's own and IRCG assets. NAS has successfully provided national access to Primary PCI therapy for MI patients whom previously were excluded because they lived on the West Coast or Border Areas.
    Fair play. I am particularly happy about the HEMS which really should be expanded.
    Everyday, NAS (as does DFB) respond to patients with successful outcomes. The difference is that NAS does not have it's "customer base" captivated in a small geographical area where it has a large Fire Service workforce to use as "back up" for meal breaks, lifts, etc. because they have few fires to respond to. Rather, NAS has to deliver services to the other two thirds of the population spread out between Mizen Head to Malin Head as well as still managing to deliver a range of emergency as well as all urgent and routine services in Dublin.
    This 'few fires' thing is very popular here. We respond to what we respond to just like you guys do. When we get a decent fire it is hard, dangerous work. We can cover each other for breaks if we get back to the station and that is a good thing. As for lifts. I have often turned out to help lift with my NAS colleagues. I don't see the problem here. Surely its a good thing?
    You guys are stretched thin across the country so why are your management trying to take on another 80,000 calls? Maybe get those resources out to where they are needed?
    NAS responds to approx. 350,000 emergency/urgent calls every year.
    Not according to that joint submission made to the public accounts committee. DFB and HSE responded to 280,572 calls last year. If you take out the DFB calls then the NAS responded to aprox 200,000 calls. I don't want to be a pedant but after your earlier comments I think its important.
    If you search the papers, we hear about a dozen well publicised news paper headlines. For some strange reason, we don't here about the the 99.9% calls where everything went right. An example is a headline from the North East recently in a tabloid which claimed a "25 minute delay". What the journalist failed to realise or indeed accurately report was that it was a six minute delay as the first 19 minutes was the target. The second hypocrisy promoted by journalists is the omission of the fact that response time KPIs do not apply to all 999 calls, in fact it is approx 41% of 999 calls that are encompassed. In any human endeavour, including healthcare, people fail to perform or make mistakes. Whilst these mistakes can cost lives, the reality is that the World Health Alliance on Patient Safety, the peak body of same, accepts that a percentage of patients will not get the very best all of the time. That is the reality of what happens when services are delivered by human beings. The Irish response is a media witch hunt. As DFB services are delivered by humans equally doing their best, they too make mistakes.
    Media will always look for a bad story. As the saying goes nothing sells like bad news. You don't see headlines saying good job done by people paid to do good job.
    So, why do we only hear about NAS in the media, and very little about DFB? While everything I have referred to above can be evidence based through research or FOI, I will digress on this point and offer an opinion. In my view, there is the simple reason that DFB is a small ambulance operation in a small densely populated area where most people are non affected and the media outside Dublin not interested (unless it is syndicated journalism) and the capital offers the media a greater choice of scandal. Secondly, DFB has not experienced much organisational reform to unsettle a workforce. When you couple this with a very professional ethos, built on collegiality, loyalty and pride in service, you get little "noise".
    Well we have had our share of bad stories but I think you hit a point about collegiality. The NAS is scattered around the country and the lads in Kerry know nowt about the lads in Donegal. I don't believe we are a small operation however. We are over half the size of the NAS in personnel numbers.
    conversely, NAS faces huge geographic and demographic challenges but is benchmarked against the same metrics.
    Which brings me back to my 'why fiddle with Dublin when the rest of the island is desperate for fixing' point.
    Secondly, NAS staff and the public has experienced significant organisational reform and loss of income (in the case of staff). NAS does not have the loyalty, pride and collegial culture of DFB. A failure of leadership is generally the root cause. In my mind, the common denominator is the correlation between the location of the media reports, the journalists involved, the extent of loss of earnings in those areas and the degree of service reforms/parochial response. Essentially, following NAS staff running to journalists to air their grievances, these same individuals have now been "cultivated" as informants by these same journalists whom realise the ease with which HSE related stories can be extracted and probably not challenged with the actual truth. The small minority of truly disgruntled think they are getting at their management, however, what they are really doing is allowing themselves to be used to undermine the professionalism of their colleagues and erode public confidence in a national service that has so much potential given the right leadership, political support and workforce buy in.
    I am not in the NAS so it would be inappropriate to comment on this.
    Instead, we are due to be subjected to another prime time "expose" where in probably 20 minutes, we will be convinced lives at at risk. We will then have the subsequent IFESA, journalistic and Private Ambulance operator analysis in the usual media outlets followed by the usual outpouring of parliamentary questions from "concerned" politicians. And meanwhile, they won't have scratched the truth just further undermined the morale of a professional workforce and worried the public.
    Would you concur that there is a problem with ambulance response times and resources? I don't think anyone is blaming the men and women of the NAS (and if they are they are not worthy of notice) but rather the mismanagement of the ambulance system.
    Well if we have a crisis, ask the man whom had a cardiac arrest on a golf course in Ballyshannon, was successfully resuscitated, flown to Galway, had a PCI and went home to his family what he thinks of "an ambulance service in crisis". Trouble is, he is only one of about 800,000 patients whom have a good experience of NAS every year.
    Good saves happen every day. Unfortunately our public has been conditioned by years of the "public sector bad" mantra to just say "meh. Thats your job which you are lucky to have".

The purpose of this long post is not to bash any group including DFB, but to point out that when it comes to complex services like an ambulance service, what you read, hear and watch in the media is rarely the truth.

Couldn't agree more. But this applies to both 'sides' of the argument. The HSE spin about 'cost savings'and the anecdotes about DFB mallets and APs not being dispatched is equally galling from my point of view.

Stay safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

Apologies up front for another long one

The media frenzy and blatant lies continue today with even two TDs quoting what can now be called the "Kidd Factor" stats. One of them even got confused and blamed the HSE for an incident involving DFB. Dep Lyons statement of "DFB is the best service in the State" is a very tall and very disingenuous statement. He went onto quote the IFESA propaganda of "7% of the NAS budget for 40% of ALL ambulance calls". Eventually, the quoter forgets the liar and fiction promulgated becomes reliable fact.

The IFESA facebook page, along with twitter and facebook accounts of the Private Ambulance Operator are now increasingly dedicated to NAS bashing, scaremongering and insults.

Excellent post Millennium Falcon, respectful debate is excellent

First post:

Statistics - as previously said, anything I quote is available through FOI. I prefer not to rely on anyone's submissions.

Casemix - Millennium Falcon, with respect, you have not articulated any understanding of casemix costing. Labour and fuel are only two elements of costing the price of the call. The lower the call volume, the higher the unit hour rate.

City based services - Firstly, lets get an accurate definition of Fire Based EMS. Is it the DFB model or the NYCEMS model or the LAFD model. Secondly, Fire Based Services are predominant in cities in the US where the tax rates are different depending on where you live. People outside of the "municipalities" pay less taxes and have less services. In some cases volunteer squads. In Ireland, we pay the same rate of tax and are therefore, at least theoretically entitled to equality of access. Several government reports as well as the C&AG have expressed a view. The statutory provider of healthcare in Ireland (HSE) has articulated a policy. The consensus is a single National Ambulance Service. This raises the philosophical question of why should Dublin be different? Should we allow every city to develop stand alone Ambulance Services with the inherent isolated controls, boundaries and inefficiencies, each with each own management structure. This certainly flies in the face of the IFESA propaganda.

Treat and Refer cannot be done by anyone. Please name any service that is not integrated into a healthcare system that is doing it successfully with large volume results. The "****" happens in about 10% of all 999 calls (yes anecdote), unless we all believe all 999 calls are "emergencies". As previously eluded to, really successful and innovative services have reinvented themselves into an "Out of Hospital" service complementing "Pre Hospital Emergency Care". This is absolute necessity given the need to respond to an ageing population and the current GDP % of most jurisdictions being spent on health. Blue lights are not our future. ED avoidance is and this can only be truly and systematically achieved through full integration with primary care. Because people are people, you need to have all the elements sitting within one governance model. A number of jurisdictions have realised this and are moving their ambulance services from an "Emergency Services" to Health portfolio.

CPC - very fair point. However, you don't "have" to have 800 Paramedics in a Fire Service to provide 104 providing 11 (HSE only pay for 11) ambulances 24/7. Conversely, you do have to have 11 to provide a 24/7 service in a low volume Station like Castletownbere thus justifying the expenditure on training. The additional cost is included in casemix thus increasing the overhead of providing every unit hour of service delivery.

Fire Service numbers - As I said, I don't know anything about delivering Fire Services. I do know you don't need 800 Paramedics in Dublin. The Fire Service call outs are a matter of public record and are presumably an excellent reflection of good Fire Prevention by DFB (and other Fire Services) over the years.

Second post:

Performance - I disagree, remember, all ambulances go to the same hospitals and experience the same delays.

IFESA - I am aware of what they are calling for...........my point is the double standards being applied by someone now running for public office. The question of integrity will arise if elected.

AP Deployment - A sample:

DFB provided the following information to the NAS for December 2012 (79 ECHO (1.52% of total 999 call volume) and 2829 DELTA (44.47% of total 999 call volume)). DFB reported that 1 call was responded to by a solo AP (on a Fire Truck???) and 54 calls were responded to by a crew with an AP. The % was 2% of calls that were advised by AMPDS as requiring an AP.

In the same period, NAS reported 297 ECHO (1.52% of total 999 call volume) and 7715 DELTA (39.59% of total 999 call volume). NAS reported that 403 calls were responded to by a solo AP and 2808 calls were responded to by a crew with an AP. The % was 49% of calls that were advised by AMPDS as requiring an AP. In 2012, NAS reached agreement on AP Deployment which saw that figure jump to 68% following implementation.

The figures speak for themselves. Why train APs if your funder, commissioner or service purchaser did not ask or fund you to???? Does every AP secure promotion as a Sub Officer? How many are not Sub Officers?

HIQA - yes, legislation could address this, however, at the time of the report leaked, DFB were not encompassed (and still are not) within their remit. The HSE could not allow a situation to continue where HIQA were holding it accountable for the actions (or indeed inactions) of an organisation it was funding but had no control over. Do an FOI request on all of the attempts made by the HSE to secure a written agreement. Also worth asking for the names of all attendees at the meetings to see if both sides put forward consistent teams or played games with membership.

Takeover - I am not sure NAS management are trying to take over anything. I think they are required to demonstrate good governance and control of public monies that they are accountable for. Context is very important on this point. What happened to the previous Dublin Review commissioned in 2006 but not released until 2009 because of 3 years wrangling by unions. The bottom line is that NAS is frustrated with the game of obfuscation that has been played for many years. A game played on with the protection of the Drumcondra Mafia. The game has changed and NAS and HSE are now the big players in the room. Frankly, having worked with DFB colleagues, I would be quite happy for a dedicated cohort of DFB staff whom want to focus on ambulance work to do so with a single national control centre delivering best results for patients. I would also insist on every paramedic wearing the same uniform, using the same equipment and driving identical vehicles with a single national livery. No room for egos just the projection of a single identity that promotes professionalism and instills public confidence. No room for historical egos or baggage. DFB, and every other Fire Service, should continue to First Respond to appropriate calls. After all, that was Government Policy signed of by Minister Harney in the Cardiovascular Strategy in 2006.

Statistics - I have said my piece on the numbers. In relation to being stretched, of course we are. The country is broke and because of the inability at political level to prioritise various public monies, we do the best with what we have. If you can only afford a hospital or a library, it does not take a genius to articulate which one you close. Billy Kelliher today was a perfect example, so focussed on getting a crack at the Minister for Health, he forgot to say, by the way, Cork should also have DFB type service.

Media - the only reason the media storm started was when NAS staff lost overtime in the roster review. It started in the NE and then spread like a virus through NASRA (whom seem to have dissappeared and have no view so far, on the current debate in Dublin). The journalists then realised what a golden goose they had. Couple of phone calls to/from a disgruntled Paramedic and then a half arsed FOI request with questions probably provided by the Paramedic. Today's story about RRVs costing 100k is a perfect example. Do you think the journalist stopped to FOI the cost of any registration available on Cartell. FOI only works when you know what to ask (rant over!)

Scale - DFB charge the HSE for 104-105 staff doing 70,000 plus calls with 11 ambulances. This is a "small ambulance operation" by both Irish and International standards. No offence to my colleagues at any level in DFB but the numbers speak for themselves.

Culture - I admire the DFB culture, except on those few occasions when they roll out the past DFB/EHB dispute (very few now to be fair) or use history as a reason not to change the future. As a taxpayer, the waste of money using a Firefighter as a cook is also galling. But that's a matter for DCC management to address if it still exists. On the other hand, NAS culture lacks the same level of pride and professionalism. That's not a slant on practice but rather on attitude. It is not unusual in NAS to encounter a Supervisor or Officer whom is more negative, disloyal and outspoken than some of the worst. This cancer pervades the organisation and feeds on the contempt felt by many about pay cuts and cutbacks. DFB seem to have the sense for the most part, to air their issues "in lodge" rather than through the media. That said, these individuals are an absolute minority and regrettably the vast majority whom are professional in everything they do seldom have a voice or are provided with effective leadership.

Resources - NAS is stretched because no one would believe it didn't have the UK level of resources to deliver on UK response time KPIs. We have poor leadership (because we don't do leadership development and succession planning) but I do not believe we have mismanagement. I believe we are doing the best we can with what we have, but are now unfairly villified as an organisation because the public, the media and the politicians do not understand our service or our response time indicators. Interesting, no one ever asks about Fire Service or AGS response time standards (non existent). Our woes are worsened by the small minority of the workforce and NASRA whom take a one dimensional view on life and use every opportunity to ventilate personal grudges with management. Unfortunately, their lack of professionalism blinds them from seeing the harm they are doing to the professional reputation of our workforce and the public's trust and confidence in the services we deliver 99.9% of the time.

Anyway, we will all await the outcome of the various deliberations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Very interesting reading from someone who has no clue of how either service operates. Could anyone tell me what echo and delta calls are or where I could look it up? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

guil wrote: »
    Very interesting reading from someone who has no clue of how either service operates. Could anyone tell me what echo and delta calls are or where I could look it up? Thanks.

The controls rooms in both services operate AMPDS systems. This system generates a dispatch code (depending on the answers given by the caller). Alpha & Omega are non blue light even though it might have come in on the 999. Bravo, Charlie, Delta & Echo are hot responses ie blue lights & sirens. Echo calls are the most serious ie cardiac arrests

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

guil wrote: »

page 43 and onwards of this link explains it quite concisely

http://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/Clinical%20Practice%20Guidelines/PHECC_Field_Guide_2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

A centralised control room with access to all resources around Dublin with everything from DFB/ HSE AP’s to Community First Response programs on the one dispatch system seems to make sense for the patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ratracer

Torpedo wrote: »
    A centralised control room with access to all resources around Dublin with everything from DFB/ HSE AP’s to Community First Response programs on the one dispatch system seems to make sense for the patient.

So that'll never be considered then...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

ratracer wrote: »
    So that'll never be considered then...

If I was a betting man I'd say it’s the most likely outcome, DFB maintain their ambulance fleet of 11 under NAS ambulance control room and Swords ambulance is withdrawn. HSE will argue they've 2 ambulances out there now so excess capacity. I know there’s no excess capacity but HSE won’t want to pay and either will DCC.

If NAS are stuck for an ambulance they send a fire truck/ cfr/ rrv etc and first clock stops when they arrive on scene.

HSE aren't going to increase their funding so what happens internally in DFB is another story ie whether they go the FDNY route and have separate EMS and FIRE section, this would obviously impact current para status of fire crews. I’m sure DCC would prefer it to save money in training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Most DFB members in favor of keeping the ambulance fall into 2 groups, officers who don't staff the ambulance and in many cases are unqualified medically and those who do a lot of overtime which is always on the ambulance (no ambulance= no overtime)

A few points which those not in the DFB may be unaware of

:there is no proper policy in place for allowing staff to get meals/breaks or finish on time which leads to ambulance crews hiding, not answering radio calls or diverting to stations for crew changeover instead of going directly to the case. When the crew get back to the station they are still expected to crew a fire engine so they have no rest period, just a change of duty.There is no GPS on vehicles and staff themselves have to make themselves available for the next call

:ambulances are rarely cleaned properly as the crews cannot routinely take the vehicle off the road to empty it of equipment and clean. They are usually mopped out which only really cleans the floor.

:ambulances are crewed often by personnel on overtime who are sometimes from the opposite side of the city and don't know the area they are working

:a number of individuals in DFB have failed their paramedic exams, some more than once, and yet are still employed and still crew ambulances. Some have refused to resit exams and have escaped sanction.

:there is no control over the number of hours worked by crews. It is not uncommon for personnel to do a Saturday night followed by Sunday night on overtime (a 16 hour night followed by a 15 hour night with an 8 hour break between) on top of the persons own working week. You wouldn't be allowed to drive a truck for this amount of hours

:many staff feel that they are not adequately trained . There is a huge gulf in skills between staff employed under 10 years and those who are more senior. The younger members are more skilled because less time has passed since they trained and also because they are better trained anyway. Some of the senior staff were for example trained to give injections into pieces of fruit.

:Advanced paramedics who to be fair are very skilled are not rostered the ambulance ahead of less qualified personnel or can be rostered to drive the vehicle leaving a less qualified (or exam failure) person to care for the patient when the vehicle is moving.

You mean the sun doesnt shine out of DFBs arse and it has its problems too ??? :P:P:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

To quote Non Believer: "Interesting, no one ever asks about Fire Service or AGS response time standards (non existent)"

Check out Performance Indicators for Fire Authorities on Department Environment site. Some Brigades are ISO compliant.

Oscar2, publishing what your performance is is one thing, even if the data is at least 12 months old. But can you tell us or provide a link to the actual standard that is supposed to be achieved. As I'm sure you know, a KPI, is not a KPI unless it is benchmarked against a published standard supported by a metadata set with detailed denominator and numerator.

When does the Fire Service "start" and "stop"?

ISO is an administrative system of compliance and has no relevance to how quickly you get to the scene.

NAS is the only emergency service with published performance standards with a full suite of metadata with defined numerator and denominators.

I hope I am wrong for the publics sake. In due course, every emergency service will be subject to and measured against unrealistic KPIs that they have no hope of meeting. If you have a link to performance standards for any other emergency service in Ireland, please post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Oscar2, publishing what your performance is is one thing, even if the data is at least 12 months old. But can you tell us or provide a link to the actual standard that is supposed to be achieved. As I'm sure you know, a KPI, is not a KPI unless it is benchmarked against a published standard supported by a metadata set with detailed denominator and numerator.

When does the Fire Service "start" and "stop"?

ISO is an administrative system of compliance and has no relevance to how quickly you get to the scene.

NAS is the only emergency service with published performance standards with a full suite of metadata with defined numerator and denominators.

I hope I am wrong for the publics sake. In due course, every emergency service will be subject to and measured against unrealistic KPIs that they have no hope of meeting. If you have a link to performance standards for any other emergency service in Ireland, please post.

I think the reasonable question - is - are the 8 min for first response and 19 minutes for Ambulance response - good targets.

In other words - would meeting those targets make improvement to patient outcomes.

If the answer is yes - then the important issue surely - is how do we put in place the resources needed to meet the targets.

Yes clearly theres no hope of meeting the targets with current resource levels.

BUT

you could achieve superior performances if you invested in the Ambulance service and put the require resources in place.

For example Initiatives like the East Cork and West Cork rapid response would make a huge difference I think nationwide.

I do think that while brilliant - the East Cork and West Cork Rapid response model should move to a situation where the HSE provides funding as part of an expanded Ambulance/Pre hospital care budget

Baseline study of Fire Service performance indicators here

http://www.environ.ie/en/Community/NationalDirectorateforFireandEmergencyManagement/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,26936,en.pdf

I don't necessarily agree that the indicator chosen mean much as it measures first attendance regardless of whether such an attendance is adequate. Personally I would use when a "Stop" or Available at Incident" message to measure when a situation has been contained or finalised.

Really I was answering your blanket assertions about the Fire Service not having standards or targets to meet.

Finally Fire Crews operate as close knit familiar teams. Crews generally work together under same Officers for years and this builds up team spirit and rapport. When this is coupled with membership of a Brigade that has existed for over a hundred years then Institutional loyalty,pride and unwillingless to let down team members is developed.

Many Firefighters live in the areas they serve in and this further motivates them.

This I fear is what some call historical baggage but should not be dismissed lightly.

I can post literally tons of data but I feel this would lose sight of the issues.

Oscar2 I appreciate and acknowledge the cultural issues. My question was can you point us in the direction of the Standards? i.e. where is it published that a Fire Service must provide a specific response to a specific category of incident in a specific timeframe in X% of those specific incident types?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

My belief is that DFB will have to furnish some form or targets and reports to HIQA and that will be one of the possible outcomes of the review, In that case they will face the same scrutiny that the HSE and this has to be welcomed....
    Rather than the 8 or 19 minutes targets or whatever international variant of targets is desired or required being used as a stick to beat the HSE mgt or the staff with they should be used to benchmark where we should be and a measurement of adequate resources and geographical Ambulance cover.

Concentration , effort, resources, personnel, vehicles/ equipment, the necessary focus and funds should then be directed towards righting the short-comings regardless of service HSE or Dfb with the support and backing of all concerned......NAS may need more frontline vehicles/ambulances or relief factor.....DFB may need more funding or less control... I don't know.

The Patient Transport Service was a step change for the Ambulance service ........But It should be only one of several areas tackled and reviewed on a yearly basis. Centralized Control or dynamic deployment are being rallied as silver bullets only time will tell (or has it been told)..... taking from peter to pay paul was Is like musical chairs IMO.

Speaking from experience (which is outside of Dublin) the response from the fire service is exceptional and usually unbeatable, but their call volume is low negating delays due to being on other calls.

All areas should be on the table...

Control, AMPDS, Targets, moral, finiance, regional borders, sick rate, cars, relief factor, performance mgt & Mgt performance, dual service response, solo response, A&E delays , Designated meal breaks, on call...... ect ect ect..

• Advertisement

Oscar2 I appreciate and acknowledge the cultural issues. My question was can you point us in the direction of the Standards? i.e. where is it published that a Fire Service must provide a specific response to a specific category of incident in a specific timeframe in X% of those specific incident types?

At the moment Each Fire Service has minimum PDA's (pre-determined attendances ) depending on incident type.For example An RTC on motorway will dictate a higher level of response then one on a standard national roadway.

The Keeping Communities Safe Document has draft national PDA's which unfortunately will downgrade some responses and eliminate response to some incident types.

Response times are already monitored in performance indicators and stations are expected to book mobile under a certain time limit. Generally within 5 minutes for retained and 1 minute for wholetime.

http://irishfireservices.ie/technical-documents/cat_view/53-fire/61-miscellaneous-fire-related-document

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sedgley

Having applied to both DFB and NAS before but failing on medical grounds also i'm involved with the vols and I am fairly well informed on the current issues.

I have to say from what has been going on in the media in recent weeks I am in utter disbelief at the amount of flak the HSE NAS have been getting from the media, politicians and also from Dublin Fire Brigade. It seems the usual spin doctors have successfully managed to destroy public confidence in the NAS with a barrage of attacks from RTE primetime, various media outlets, public representatives and IFESA. A lot of the figures being spouted out are just plain lies! The extrapolated figure of DFB calls was found to be 27% not 40% but the papers are still using the 40% figure!

While pointing out certain examples of the services' failures and the misuse of officer cars which I agree is a joke, the media are completely overlooking its many successes. They claim their grievances are with management but the frontline staff are the ones who the public deal with everyday. I can't help but sympathise with the paramedics on the ground who I can imagine are already demoralised as a result of severe cuts to their pay and conditions in recent times. I admire both organisations for the work they do but it would seem that the DFB are taking part in this smear campaign and using it as a cheap shot in a bid to keep their Dublin ambulances. It is also a bizarre coincidence that these so called concerned politicians who ordinarily wouldn't know the difference between the two ambulance services have become overnight experts on the subject now that the elections are just around the corner. The DFB are rallying in the cause of "save our ambulances", as somebody mentioned earlier and as a result it comes across as a "look after ourselves" campaign devoid of any concern about what is best for the public. Both DFB, the media and the political voices have also failed to recognise the presence of the NAS ambulances in Dublin. I am disappointed in the DFB for using the primetime program to basically say "we're better than them" even though the program was about the service in rural countryside areas miles from hospitals. I also noticed on primetime that one scenario in tallaght the DFB had no ambulance but were not held to account??? Whatever bit of respect I had for the Irish media, is well and truly lost. Shame on them for turning the public against their ambulance service by only highlighting the shortcomings and not the good work being done by them everyday.

Highlighting bad points are fine in the media when correct and deserved , highlighting good points are fine when warranted, personally I find the voyeuristic angela griffin stuff ect. ect.. a bit over done at the moment.

As per DFB minding their own , well there will always be self interest so cant blame them there to a point...

We always look over seas for best practice to do with X and best practice to do with Y, but what works for one system or country may not work for ours & what works now may not work in 5 years time... what I would like is for us to lead the way for once, find out what works over a proven period implement it and call it our best practice...

At the moment ,and it is becoming ever so noticeable, the NAS is being run as a business first and a service provider second and this stance is a big barrier for ever implementing a fully patient focused emergency service.

The NAS should look at Cork, Limerick and Galway (our other Cities) and if they can get it right in those regarding HIQA targets & guidelines over a period of a few years then and only then would I have confidence in them taking over Dublin as the sole Ambulance service provider.

The NAS should look at Cork, Limerick and Galway (our other Cities) and if they can get it right in those regarding HIQA targets & guidelines over a period of a few years then and only then would I have confidence in them taking over Dublin as the sole Ambulance service provider.

Have to ask, what specifically do the DFB do better than the HSE?

miju wrote: »
    Have to ask, what specifically do the DFB do better than the HSE?

Its an interesting question - ive always though myself - that the advantage DFB have over NAS - is that having fire fighters as trained Paramedics - means the fire engines can be used as a first response - so you could get really good response times.

However - imo - the NAS - could achieve similar performance to DFB - if it was properly resourced.

So the advantage imo - to DFB - is having extra resources - rather then the model of operation

CrackCrack30,

how do you know that NAS do not have a better response in Cork, Limerick, etc. than Dublin????????

Old Diesel,

the Irish Times recently published Response Times KPI performance for December 2013. The best performance in the State was by NAS in the former East, Midlands and MW. DFB was 55%, closer to the bottom half of the country.

The question MIJU asked was what do DFB do better? NAS don't run Fire Engines so I am not clear on the relevance of your version of better. Those who do run them, for the most part, wont deploy them because of cost.

The HIQA first response standard indicates the appropriate resource for an ECHO is a CFR (minimum) and for a DELTA call is an EFR (minimum). This is already in place in many parts of the country, however, until NAS has a National CAD system, they have no way of capturing the timestamps. Again, a point lost of the media and usual expert analysts

What actual benefits are there from sending 6 Paramedics to 999 calls as First Responders given approx. 45% of all DFB calls are neither ECHO/DELTA.

Medicine is predicated on health economics whereby every intervention must be warranted, justifiable and affordable. Sending 6 Paramedics to 999 calls because, frankly, they have nothing else to do does not meet this criteria. Before you tell me about Cardiac Arrest, these account for approx. 1.5% of workload and you only need two practitioners to adequately manage the scene with assistance from 2 responders. This is consistent with the PHECC EMS Dispatch Standard, i.e. 3-4 Practitioners/Responders, not 6 Paramedics (Practitioners) as a minimum response. As I have previously stated, how many of these paramedics would meet CPC standards when introduced by PHECC without a significant, disproportionate and unaffordable burden on the taxpayer.

It seems SIPTU/IMPACT are happy to support a review of NAS with no stakeholder representation but have a different standard for their DFB subscribers. What is the non verbal message from this action?

Clear conflict of interest by both unions

http://www.impact.ie/14/03/31/Public-demo-to-defend-Dublin-City-Fire-Brigade.htm

All NAS members of any grade should resign from both unions immediately on a point of principle and join UNITE whom have a track record of representing NAS members and no affiliation to DFB

CrackCrack30,

how do you know that NAS do not have a better response in Cork, Limerick, etc. than Dublin????????

My point is ....this is/should not a DFB v NAS debate, We should have our own back garden in order before be start looking into that of DFB.

We should do this by proving that we can efficiently and effectively operate the ambulance service to the acceptance of all concerned- the public, the hospital groups and HIQA in our other cities before we take on Dublin.

I know for a fact that the number of frontline ambulances in one of our major regional cities has not been increased since the 1970's.

CrackCrack30,

Old Diesel,

the Irish Times recently published Response Times KPI performance for December 2013. The best performance in the State was by NAS in the former East, Midlands and MW. DFB was 55%, closer to the bottom half of the country.

The question MIJU asked was what do DFB do better? NAS don't run Fire Engines so I am not clear on the relevance of your version of better. Those who do run them, for the most part, wont deploy them because of cost.

The HIQA first response standard indicates the appropriate resource for an ECHO is a CFR (minimum) and for a DELTA call is an EFR (minimum). This is already in place in many parts of the country, however, until NAS has a National CAD system, they have no way of capturing the timestamps. Again, a point lost of the media and usual expert analysts

What actual benefits are there from sending 6 Paramedics to 999 calls as First Responders given approx. 45% of all DFB calls are neither ECHO/DELTA.

Medicine is predicated on health economics whereby every intervention must be warranted, justifiable and affordable. Sending 6 Paramedics to 999 calls because, frankly, they have nothing else to do does not meet this criteria. Before you tell me about Cardiac Arrest, these account for approx. 1.5% of workload and you only need two practitioners to adequately manage the scene with assistance from 2 responders. This is consistent with the PHECC EMS Dispatch Standard, i.e. 3-4 Practitioners/Responders, not 6 Paramedics (Practitioners) as a minimum response. As I have previously stated, how many of these paramedics would meet CPC standards when introduced by PHECC without a significant, disproportionate and unaffordable burden on the taxpayer.

My apologies

What I meant was - that in terms of achieving fast response times - the extra paramedics SHOULD give DFB an advantage - in that it SHOULD give them a better chance of achieving fast response times - due purely to having extra hands.

That only speeds up (in theory) the initial response - it doesn't address the Ambulance shortage at all - and in fact you could raise the question of whether the extra people should be responding in an Ambulance to a 999 call rather then a fire engine

That doesn't mean that the DFB model is better however - if your going to have extra resources - I think the West and East Cork Rapid response model is a much better way of doing that then having 6 Paramedics on a fire engine.

Mind you - if other Ambulance service in Midlands, Mid west etc - are achieving better response times then DFB - then its not looking so clever for DFB in that case.

BTW - in an ideal world id rather have a situation where - Ambulance and Fire are two separate organisations - and the Ambulance service concentrates on the Ambulance side - and Fire concentrates on Fire and rescue.

There is however merit in considering the idea of having firefighters trained as responders - but you could argue a strong case for having doctors trained up as East and West Cork rapid response demonstrates.

Have absolutely no connection whatsoever with ECRR or WCRR btw - I just like what they are looking to do

• Advertisement

CrackCrack30

who says our back garden is not in order or do you believe the media spin about a crisis?

NAS is fraying at the edges, not the middle. Primary reason for the fraying is primarily down to the fact that the service has historically never been resourced properly but always got away with it because of overtime. The former health boards would "wear" the over spend which was small in their overall context and systems of accountability and financial governance (very varied)

While resources, training, coordination, technology and work practices have all improved, the PSA and Haddington Road removed most of the overtime, effectively undercutting service gains, to some extent. The service has a long way to go but it has made consistent gains, albeit with a lot of pain and parochial/localised union backlash.

On the other hand, the NOISE about the fraying at the edges is down to disgruntled staff running (airing grievances, loss of overtime, grudges with management and their unions) to the media, identifying patients whom have not received a timely response whom are then cultivated by the media.

the number of ambulances is not a measure of performance, response times KPI are currently the only actual measurement.

Everyone talks about response times..............question?

If we as a nation accept that the current 19 minute target for a transporting vehicle should apply to 85% of ECHO/DELTA calls (as per HIQA Standards), why do we not appear to accept (according to the media headlines) that 15% of those calls will not be responded to in 19 minutes??????? There is no second tier target! What if all of the cases reported in the media fell into the 15%? While clearly unpatable for the families affected, when is this country going to have an honest debate about what we can afford, what we are prepared to spend and what do we expect in turn from a national ambulance service. Setting unrealistic targets and not providing the resourcing and then crying murder in the media every time there is a delay is not the solution. Quite the reverse, it is just a distraction from political accountability.

When the media state there was a delay in response to an emergency call for say a broken ankle at a football match (classified as a CHARLIE call), why do we not accept (according to the media headlines) that response times Standards do not apply to such calls? which means there is no delay because there is no Standard

This is the double standards, half truths, blatant lies, "motivated" whistleblowers, ill informed journalists, opportunistic private operators, pretend trade unions and contemplative local or by election candidates now jumping on the NAS in Crisis bandwagon.

Be careful what we wish for, we are not positively positioned for outsourcing .........

Advertisement