Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quorn and mycoprotein

• 08-03-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Folks,

Not here to bad mouth the Quorn product range but have been a veggie for about 2 years and have been eating Quorn products (not solely but once or twice a week) for about the same time if not longer.

Only recently my sister in the states was having some health problems, anyway in a nutshell the doctor asked her about her diet. She was very surprised to hear about the ill effects of Quorn product range, the main concern was about the ingredient mycoprotein.

Has anyway else heard anything about this?

Have attached two pages she scanned for me, all US products but it gives you an idea about whats in Quorn foods.

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Liffeyman wrote: »
    all US products but it gives you an idea about whats in Quorn foods.
    and how does it do that then? Quorn isn't mentioned in any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Slaphead07 wrote: »

Its on the second page where in section 5, entitled: "Avoid Quorn".
    To be honest, though, reading up on it, it just seems like some pre-sensitive people can be allergic to it (its a fungi based protein) so they shouldn't eat it. Just like people can be allergic to nuts.

OP, was your sister having vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, hives or anything like that? She could be allergic to the protein. If you never had a reaction after eating Quorn once a week for two years, you're probably safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Liffeyman

Sorry you know what, i read this a few weeks ago and had thought they listed the Quorn products. There is a mention on the second page to why they didn't list them, mainly because of the mycoprotein.

But if you get a chance look at the back of Quorn box in the fridge and you'll see for yourself the sodium levels

Its on the second page where in section 5, entitled: "Avoid Quorn".

Mea Culpa. I was transfixed by the product list.

I've been eating quorn in some form several times a week for decades. I'm no model but I'm healthy enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The quest for a ban on quorn seems retarded no? Do we ban everything people can be allergic to? Or am I missing something.
    Wouldn't mind seeing a run down of the nutritional details of the products available here.

The linda mccartney mozzerella burger I have here is 114g, .43g sodium, 233 kcal, 18.7g protein. That seems better than the burgers of that size on the list.

I hope they are ok...

g9BlH.jpg

:p

Also, they have so much range in some other countries compared to here. :/

• Advertisement

The quest for a ban on quorn seems retarded no?

It seems to be an orchestrated campaign. I'm quite suspicious of it really.
    Also, they have so much range in some other countries compared to here. :/

Even rural Italy or France has a better selection than here. France FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

This came up recently on this forum. There's research indicating that maybe as many as 5% of people are allergic to Quorn. It also might be possible to develop an allergy to it. I'm not aware of any negative effects on health to people without the allergy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the site should be called ulterior.com

Tell me about it, the nicest faux meat I've ever had was from france, I even flew loads back. France.
    This came up recently on this forum. There's research indicating that maybe as many as 5% of people are allergic to Quorn. It also might be possible to develop an allergy to it. I'm not aware of any negative effects on health to people without the allergy.

People can develop allergies to foods in adulthood, seems foolish to try and ban things based on that, seems very odd. I'd be a good test case to see if it's bad for you.
    :-D

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the site should be called ulterior.com

Tell me about it, the nicest faux meat I've ever had was from france, I even flew loads back. France.

People can develop allergies to foods in adulthood, seems foolish to try and ban things based on that, seems very odd. I'd be a good test case to see if it's bad for you.
    :-D
    Yeah I agree. People have allergies to all sorts of stuff. It would be as nuts as banning...well - nuts. Haven't seen anyone calling for a ban though tbh.

Yeah I agree. People have allergies to all sorts of stuff. It would be as nuts as banning...well - nuts. Haven't seen anyone calling for a ban though tbh.
    The attached images in this thread discuss the quest for banning of it, and there are sites etc about it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

This is true. I ate Quorn frequently for several years. Then, about six years ago I was nauseous after eating a couple of Quorn sausages. I thought it was just a bug until I cooked a curry with Quorn 'chicken' pieces and suffered the full blown effects! (Nothing to do with my cooking - my guests were fine!)

No sense in banning it outright though. I've managed to successfully avoid it for six years, and friends and family are aware of my allergy. A lot of people like it, and I wish I could still have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's currently a campaign being run to try and convince people that Quorn is poisonous and has long-term health effects.

It's completely baseless of course, but I suspect the meat lobby is behind it because they're worried at the increasing amounts that meat replacement products are eating into their profits.

Of course, you throw enough mud, eventually some of it sticks.

The attached images in this thread discuss the quest for banning of it, and there are sites etc about it also.
    seamus wrote: »
    There's currently a campaign being run to try and convince people that Quorn is poisonous and has long-term health effects.

It's completely baseless of course, but I suspect the meat lobby is behind it because they're worried at the increasing amounts that meat replacement products are eating into their profits.

Of course, you throw enough mud, eventually some of it sticks.
    The Center for Science in the Public Interest are the body behind these I see. Their official position is stated here, which is that "certain people should avoid" it. The same category as casein, incidentally, which is the primary protein in milk.

You're right that they called for a ban or a requirement for labelling. The former is silly and undermines the latter. The latter does make sense though. "Allergen information: Contains mycoprotein", same as there is "Allergen information: Contains nuts" now. Makes sense, and it's demonstrably useful when you consider cases like Aglomerado's:
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    This is true. I ate Quorn frequently for several years. Then, about six years ago I was nauseous after eating a couple of Quorn sausages. I thought it was just a bug until I cooked a curry with Quorn 'chicken' pieces and suffered the full blown effects! (Nothing to do with my cooking - my guests were fine!) !

As for the credibility of the CSPI in general, it seems pretty reputable. Their positions appear rational and without any unifying secret agenda. That said, they do get 5%-10% of their funding from private grants apparently, so there is room for speculation about motivations there.

But really that is probably clutching at straws. Occams Razor and all. Consider the fact that they advocate a "diet based more on plant-based foods than meats and dairy" a lot more vocally than they criticise Quorn, and are promoting a free ebook they've published outlining the benefits of eating less meat and animal products.

So maybe this is all subterfuge and they are actually a secret agent for the meat industry...but really clearly it's not. There is a suggestion by an organisation that we all agree is silly and excessive. But that's all - there's no hidden agenda or conspiracy by the meat lobby.

I dont think Quorrn is a competitor with meat anyway. I dont think a significant amount of it is eaten by non-vegetarians. I dont think anybody becomes vegetarian because of Quorn. I dont think anybody would start eating meat just because Quorn was unavailable. There's just no motive there for a meat lobby to do such a thing. If they were to start a conspiracy, they'd be much better off pushing the current en vogue ideas about paleo diets (high in meat and animal-based foods and the demonisation of wheat and grains in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Know what you mean.. Only been to Paris and its a nightmare eating out:(..
    On the Quorn thing, been eating it for years and no problem... But am a bit disturbed with the word " mould":eek::eek::eek:..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dubsontour wrote: »
    On the Quorn thing, been eating it for years and no problem... But am a bit disturbed with the word " mould":eek::eek::eek:..

Why? Penicillin is mold. Yeast is mold. Mushrooms are related to mold, all fungi are.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

I dont think Quorrn is a competitor with meat anyway.

You obviously haven't seen this then:

It's a clear attempt by Quorn to target meat-eaters with their products by using the health angle. I'm not convinced there's a conspiracy against them beyond what meat producers would already have against meat alternatives but it does demonstrate the fact that competition happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Why? Penicillin is mold. Yeast is mold. Mushrooms are related to mold, all fungi are.

Ah I know but you ( or rather I) don't really think about the rest..

While there may be no super secret meat conspiracy on that site :-p I seem to remember reading that meat-eaters are the main market for quorn, I certainly know of a lit that eat it sometimes, be it for perceived health or because it is faster/easier to make. I don;t know if they would be in the shop here at all if only veggies ate it?

I seem to remember reading that meat-eaters are the main market for quorn

AFAIK initially that was the case, in it's earliest form, circa 1960, it was developed to be a new wonderfood that would feed the starving millions of the world. Obviously that didn't happen and it was sometime later ('80s?) that it was marketed as a vegetarian food. Obviously their advertising will target meat eaters too, they'd be mad not to, but it seems equally obvious that their main market is, and will remain, us veggies. Either way I'm happy!

Advertisement