Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Queenie34

soalpy wrote: »
    Anyone else think it was the same exam as last few times? 3rd bit very difficult?

Yeah it was the exact same

Can anyone remember if the results for IST came out earlier than scheduled last time. Anyone still waiting to do theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Queenie34 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember if the results for IST came out earlier than scheduled last time. Anyone still waiting to do theirs?

They did go out early last time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'm still waiting and I think someone told me they have theirs towards the end of the week or next week

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

I know a girl still waiting to do it too!
    At least it wil be a quick turn around for her, results wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭soalpy

Fairly sure the spelling part at the start was different, but the rest seemed the same as the last 2 campaigns. Anyone think any different!?

I would say your right.

Well I wasn't the most prehistoric there!!!!! :D was a very broad range of candidates there. Unfortunately for me I was sitting beside a dork who was cheating in the first and third part. Really wanted to clip him round the back of the head lol. Karma will get him I guess. That's the one part of the testing I don't like. The invigilators don't keep an eye on the entire floor at pencils down.

Apart from the first section I thought they were similar but not sure if they're the same. Suppose if they're using the same data cards there's only a variety of questions they can ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Cheating? How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Mop a top wrote: »
    Well I wasn't the most prehistoric there!!!!! :D was a very broad range of candidates there. Unfortunately for me I was sitting beside a dork who was cheating in the first and third part. Really wanted to clip him round the back of the head lol. Karma will get him I guess. That's the one part of the testing I don't like. The invigilators don't keep an eye on the entire floor at pencils down.

Apart from the first section I thought they were similar but not sure if they're the same. Suppose if they're using the same data cards there's only a variety of questions they can ask.

Still believe you won't need it Mop, reckon February/March I'll be seeing you at the Hotel ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Cheating? How so?

Still answering after the time is up I guess.

I was at the front when I did mine so didn't see much.

Guessing at a multiple choice exam is a terrible tactic. You have a 25% chance you'll get the right answer but a whopping 75% chance you'll get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

Compared with the 100% chance of getting it wrong if you don't answer. I saw people colouring in numerous answers after 'pencils down'. Some people must have answered very few on part three.

Well the dude had a pencil hidden up his left sleeve and was writing with the right. When they said pencils down he was able to hold his left hand over the page and underline and fill in the dots. Little ****e

Lol Derob I hope you're right my lovely :D Best valentines ever lol

Compared with the 100% chance of getting it wrong if you don't answer.

Of course :pac: However, if you plan to answer the whole test with guesses you will not do well.
    Tests are normally designed to highlight those who are guessing the answers; perhaps not with these tests but most pre employment tests will look at that. Would you prefer an employee who guesses at their job or one who genuinely knows their stuff?

Ultimately if they are lucky enough to guess their way to the AC they'll be in for a big shock lol

I think some chancers are willing to give it a go. Guessing would not be a good for me. Hope is not a course of action folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurdles123

I completed my test and believe if you work quickly you shouldn't have to guess.

However I disagree about its silly to guess if you have one or two remaining BEFORE time is up you might as well mark something. Since there is no negative marking it would not damage your result if you did guess incorrectly. 1/4 chance is better than 0/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurdles123

I'm the same, I hate roleplays, it feels like a really unnatural situation to be in, but passed in 1309 campaign.

When you go in you just do what you have too and afterwards it isn't as bad as you expect. Personally worrying about it would have made the nerves worse, I just put it at the back of my mind until the AC.

Sorry to quote but i thought it might gain your attention. When you receive your pass/fail email for IST if successful does this email also include your AC date or does that come after?

hurdles123 wrote: »
    Sorry to quote but i thought it might gain your attention. When you receive your pass/fail email for IST if successful does this email also include your AC date or does that come after?

That's no problem, the previous two years they have been included, thinks it's to save on time and give you plenty of notice.

hurdles123 wrote: »
    I completed my test and believe if you work quickly you shouldn't have to guess.

However I disagree about its silly to guess if you have one or two remaining BEFORE time is up you might as well mark something. Since there is no negative marking it would not damage your result if you did guess incorrectly. 1/4 chance is better than 0/4.

Just to confirm my point was that guessing in a multiple choice test is a terrible tactic i.e. that is your plan for the WHOLE test.

Work quickly and effectively and you'll be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Compared with the 100% chance of getting it wrong if you don't answer. I saw people colouring in numerous answers after 'pencils down'. Some people must have answered very few on part three.
    That's why they have the test, to eliminate the right people at an early stage.

• Advertisement

That's why they have the test, to eliminate the right people at an early stage.

I think we all agree that answering questions is better than guessing. For those people who were blind sided by the process and timings; then a couple of guesses isn't the worst thing in the world. My gripe is working on after ' pencils down' as everybody could've used a little more time. That's not the cue to start the PSNI Christmas colouring in competition.

"That's not the cue to start the PSNI Christmas colouring in competition."

Made me laugh!

I was chatting to a friend at work and they have said that they are still waiting on a date for IST. They have a disability so I understand that they are getting extra time. I find this very strange considering we are set to get our results on the 17th of this month.
    Is anyone els in the same boat or is my friend telling me porkies??
    I ask because I wonder if this would mean that the result date would change from the 17th.

Momc82 wrote: »
    I was chatting to a friend at work and they have said that they are still waiting on a date for IST. They have a disability so I understand that they are getting extra time. I find this very strange considering we are set to get our results on the 17th of this month.
    I ask because I wonder if this would mean that the result date would change from the 17th.

They say their intention is to send out results by 17th but this date is indicative and may change, so God only knows.

I'd guess that if they do expect to go over this date, they would fire out an email and even if they do go over I'd say we would hear before Christmas.

I was chatting to a friend at work and they have said that they are still waiting on a date for IST. They have a disability so I understand that they are getting extra time. I find this very strange considering we are set to get our results on the th of this month.
    I ask because I wonder if this would mean that the result date would change from the th.

If that's the case then they'll probably get their results later. Depending on their disability they may have a different AC date if they pass IST.

In previous campaigns IST results came out sharpish as they're really easy to mark. AC results have been known to be pushed back.

As far as I know they have different different dates from us so it wouldn't surprise me. C1 I asked Deloitte at the AC what adjustments they make for people with special needs/disabilities, she said it depended on what it was but they test them after everyone else and give 25% longer time. They said yesterday that they're aiming to have results out for 17th and if we hadn't heard by 18th to get in contact. They'll maybe test at different times and different results dates for them too.

LOM I loved that. You interested in making a one off competition or would you be doing an adults PSNI colouring in book

Anyone els getting nervous?
    You would think 3rd time round it would not be as nail biting!

Anyone els getting nervous?
    You would think 3rd time round it would not be as nail biting!

Not so much nervous would just like to know now either way! I must have been on the first sitting for IST lol it seems like a long time ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rndj

On a separate note, George Hamilton posted on Twitter in a response to a question relating to recruitment numbers:
    'We hope to recruit 252 from 14/15 & at least 100 from 15/16 subject to review against affordability & wastage'
    There were some other questions from the public, some serious and others not so... http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/twitter-qa-psni-chief-george-10567526

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Homer01 wrote: »
    Still answering after the time is up I guess.

I was at the front when I did mine so didn't see much.

Guessing at a multiple choice exam is a terrible tactic. You have a 25% chance you'll get the right answer but a whopping 75% chance you'll get it wrong.

I saw quite a few people still writing on the sheets when the staff said "Times up"
    I was thinking they should just be eliminated straight away. If they cant obey simple instructions at the recruitment stages how will they ever be Police Constables!

Advertisement