Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wu Tang = Greatness

• 03-02-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Horno

No one man or group can touch wu tang...nobody is even close except maybe nas on a very very good day...How can hip hop be dead if wu tang is forever???????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Neither the Wu or Nas have been great for quiet a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Horno

tossy wrote: »

So what?? Even half assed versions of the wu and nas (8 Diagrams and untitled) are streets ahead of nearly everything else thats out today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭ Alaina Shy Torpedo

Well it ain't the full 'Clan but check this out - Raekwon, Ghostface and Method on what seems to be a RZA produced track (not sure) from the upcoming
    Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II

read about it here today
    http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2009/02/wu-ooh.html

link to mp3 is there

If the rest of the album sounds like this we're lookin at a classic

Well it ain't the full 'Clan but check this out - Raekwon, Ghostface and Method on what seems to be a RZA produced track (not sure) from the upcoming
    Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II

read about it here today
    http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2009/02/wu-ooh.html

link to mp3 is there

If the rest of the album sounds like this we're lookin at a classic

Stop mate i already saw this on wutangcorp.com...its a banger for sure ghost is off the track on this one!! really hope cuban linx part 2 lives up to the expectations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Horno wrote: »
    So what?? Even half assed versions of the wu and nas (8 Diagrams and untitled) are streets ahead of nearly everything else thats out today

Umm no. Neither of those are even close to being two of the best albums released over the last few years.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Umm no. Neither of those are even close to being two of the best albums released over the last few years.

To right they are lad...8 diagrams has some bangers(wolves,campfire,rushin elephants...) ... and not just the quality of the music but the message and meaning aswell...nothing comes close

Sure it does, and its still an above average album. Untitled is simply mediocre.

Which other albums have you listened to over the last few years?

loads 2 many 2 mention...but im just a huge wu head so i suppose im fairly biased lol...but seriously wu rules end of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

loads 2 many 2 mention...but im just a huge wu head so i suppose im fairly biased lol...but seriously wu rules end of!

From 1994-1997 they did. U need to listen to some new artists, there's much better stuff out there than the recent Wu and Nas output.

What you think of the GZAs first album?

• Advertisement

• iron flag was truly awful. what a disapointment especially after the genius of THE W album- my favourite wu album and {gulp} possibly the best hip-hop album EVER???

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GhostfaceKillah

So true, and it's because they've got nothing to rap about anymore. They were good when they still had a bit of street life in them, but they've got no more material now that they've got money. Hip hop is at best when its about the lifestyles of the poor and dangerous

iron flag was truly awful. what a disapointment especially after the genius of THE W album- my favourite wu album and {gulp} possibly the best hip-hop album EVER???

Hardly, it has at least three pretty bad songs. It definetly has some of their finest material though.

• Orizio wrote: »
    Hardly, it has at least three pretty bad songs. It definetly has some of their finest material though.

i would say the pinky ring single was the ONLY good song on the album. even though THE W was a gothic hip-hop masterpiece, it was just a bit too dark for some casual wu fans. it seemed like the iron flag album was a bad attempt at a party hip-hop album, made in an effort to get back sales . i lost a bit of respect for them after that.

i would say the pinky ring single was the ONLY good song on the album. even though THE W was a gothic hip-hop masterpiece, it was just a bit too dark for some casual wu fans. it seemed like the iron flag album was a bad attempt at a party hip-hop album, made in an effort to get back sales . i lost a bit of respect for them after that.

The W is ok but it really has nothing on forever or enter the 36...As for gothic hip hop masterpieces nothing can compete with the gravediggaz 6 Feet deep...what an album...rza is in proper crazy mode for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think he meant The W is hardly the best Hip-Hop album ever. It's not even their best let alone best Hip-Hop album ever imo.

Enter the 36 is their best album imo

lol at gothic hip hop master piece! sounds like a catch line from a hot press/irish times review of some hip hop album they didn't listen to or know nothing about!

The Wu as a group only released one good album,we all know which one,the W is about 20 tracks over being a great album the tried too hard.

The solo albums started off with a bang all of the solo albums bar maybe the method man LPs (most disappointing as he is one of the strongest WU lyricists,his album with reggie is far better than any of his own albums) and the inspectah deck LPs(also disappointing for me) are strong enough.

The were the kings for a while though,they were ultimately the architects of their own down fall though.

So back to my original question what you think of the first GZA abum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

used to like em years ago. Wouldnt listen to em at all anymore. Went fairly crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Enter the 36 got me hooked, the W was cack barring one or 2 choons.

a little bit off topic, but has anyone seen the new (i think and could be wrong) think chris cornell(??) video produced by timbo? Meth is in that?

Has he switched fully to actin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

"36 Chambers" and "The W" are my favourite by the group.

"Wu-Tang Forever" has too many mediocre, bland songs to be considered great.

"Iron Flag" is very dull in places, and lacks any sort of Wu-Tang Edge.

"8 Diagrams" I think is too over-sentimental in places and RZA's gritty, hardcore, nihilistic beats are tame in comparison to their other albums.

Well the solo stuff would take hours to dissect so heres my favorites:
    GZA:
    - Liquid Swords
    - Grandmasters

Raekwon:
    - Only Built for the Cuban

Ghostface Killah:
    -Ironman
    -Supreme Clientele
    -Fishscale

Ol' Dirty Bastard:
    -Return to the 36 Chambers

Method Man:
    -Tical

Masta Killa:
    -No Said Date

RZA:
    -6 Feet Deep

Really everything else is either very mediocre or just plain bad IMO.

godspal wrote: »
    "36 Chambers" and "The W" are my favourite by the group.

"Wu-Tang Forever" has too many mediocre, bland songs to be considered great.

"Iron Flag" is very dull in places, and lacks any sort of Wu-Tang Edge.

"8 Diagrams" I think is too over-sentimental in places and RZA's gritty, hardcore, nihilistic beats are tame in comparison to their other albums.

Well the solo stuff would take hours to dissect so heres my favorites:
    GZA:
    - Liquid Swords
    - Grandmasters

Raekwon:
    - Only Built for the Cuban

Ghostface Killah:
    -Ironman
    -Supreme Clientele
    -Fishscale

Ol' Dirty Bastard:
    -Return to the 36 Chambers

Method Man:
    -Tical

Masta Killa:
    -No Said Date

RZA:
    -6 Feet Deep

Really everything else is either very mediocre or just plain bad IMO.

Wu Tang Forever is too mediocre and bland? Get to be fuked will ya..nobody else could have brought out a double cd of that quality..its an immense album..reunited,heaterz,for heavens sake,a better tommorow,its yourz,TRIUMPH just to mention a few..noway can forever be considered mediocre!! iron flag and the w maybe but forever!!!noway!

lol at gothic hip hop master piece! sounds like a catch line from a hot press/irish times review of some hip hop album they didn't listen to or know nothing about!

The Wu as a group only released one good album,we all know which one,the W is about 20 tracks over being a great album the tried too hard.

The solo albums started off with a bang all of the solo albums bar maybe the method man LPs (most disappointing as he is one of the strongest WU lyricists,his album with reggie is far better than any of his own albums) and the inspectah deck LPs(also disappointing for me) are strong enough.

The were the kings for a while though,they were ultimately the architects of their own down fall though.

So back to my original question what you think of the first GZA abum?

Your right about them being the architetcs of their own downfall..I suppose though how could they possibly all co exist without fighting and arguing its a surprise they lasted long enough to bring out so many albums!!
    As for liquid swords....its a hip hop masterpiece dont think i skip any tracks..its probably number 2 ever just behind cuban linx..but its not far behind..cold world with deck is prob my fave tune ever!!!

Your not as big a WU head as you claim as that was a trick question,this is the first GZA album released in 1991

fronttl1.jpg

While its no liquid swords still has a few good tracks on it like words from the genius,it was re released in 95 due to wu hype with another older (but excluded from original LP) GZA track called pass the bone produced by Prince Rakeem (you know who he is right?) pass the bone is a wu banger!

Also presuming you know who Prince Rakeem is check out "Oh i love you rakeem" from 1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭gottahavehouse

wu cemented legendary stayus long time ago with 36 chambers one the greatest debut albums. they influenced whole new generation of mcs. w wouldnt even be my second favourite wu album. 36 chambers is all time classic in my top 10 albums of all time. they've classic solo albums too check out liquid swords by gza, ironman by ghostface and obviously only built 4 cuban linx by raekwon. der all classics. i just hope linx 2 can live up to the name coz thats in my top 10 albums too

Your not as big a WU head as you claim as that was a trick question,this is the first GZA album released in 1991

fronttl1.jpg

While its no liquid swords still has a few good tracks on it like words from the genius,it was re released in 95 due to wu hype with another older (but excluded from original LP) GZA track called pass the bone produced by Prince Rakeem (you know who he is right?) pass the bone is a wu banger!

Also presuming you know who Prince Rakeem is check out "Oh i love you rakeem" from 1991

Goway u dose thats a whack album wouldnt even bother with it

pardon? lol at wack! chill bro on the flip side na mean :cool:

Its far from a "wack" (as you put it - who says wack!) album its not a strong album like liquid swords but its still got some good tracks and the fact remains that it is still the GZA's first album which you didn't seem to grasp.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

blaze1 wrote: »
    Enter the 36 got me hooked, the W was cack barring one or 2 choons.

a little bit off topic, but has anyone seen the new (i think and could be wrong) think chris cornell(??) video produced by timbo? Meth is in that?

Has he switched fully to actin?

He's balancing acting and music. He was somewhat of a regular in The Wire from maybe season 3 onwards and has done plenty of movies and spots in videos. He seems to be able to juggle both.

There are some excellent songs on this, like Pass the Bone, Life of a Drug Dealer and The Genius is slamming. Easy Moe Bee handled alot of the production on this and doesnt disappoint, it's not on the same level as Liquid Swords but is still great (despite the odd weak song on the album)

In relation to the Wu-Camps most recent releases, well, thier releases in the past few years, i think they have been average at best, nothing of great significane since Supreme Clientel. I honestly hope the Cuban Linx 2 is as brilliant as it is being hyped up to be, but 8 Diagrams got alot of hype runnning up to its release and as mentioned earlier, it's average.

As far as nobody being able to 'touch' the Wu, i think that back in the 90's early 00's this statement is correct, but not in recent times. There are alot of other artists that i would listen to ahead of the Wu now. I used to be first in line to buy thier albums years ago, no thinking necessary, now i would have to weigh up the pro's and con's when buying one of thier albums.

I also think that Wu-Tang Forever was an excellent album, no 36 Chambers but a close 2nd.

Putting easy mo Bee (by association) and wack in the same sentence is bang out of order,the man is a hip hop legend one of thee great producers.Its akin to saying 2pac is the greatest rapper ever - it just reeks of not having a broader knowledge of the genre.

If you don't know who he is horno do your homework.Also get out there and listen to some other hip hop albums,there have been albums released in the last 8 years that stand head and shoulders above anything the Wu have done lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

it just reeks of not having a broader knowledge of the genre.

If you don't know who he is horno do your homework.Also get out there and listen to some other hip hop albums,there have been albums released in the last 8 years that stand head and shoulders above anything the Wu have done lately.

I second that. Horno you should check out artists from the last 20 years like; Black Moon, Smif-N-wessun, Mos Def, People Under The Stairs, Blackalicious, Mobb Deep, The Beatnuts, Redman, Masta Ace, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Royce da 5'9", Afu-Ra, Jeru the Damaja, Freddie Foxx, Gang Starr, Scarface & Geto Boys, Too Short (Fun), N.W.A., Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy, and Slick Rick. It's coming across that you haven't really listened to much hip-hop tbh.

No need to get defensive and start name calling, this is a forum!

Advertisement