Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to Downsize

• 02-01-2012 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Looking for advice from people who may know more about this than me!

I currently have an 2007 Opel Astra 1.4 the 5door version.
    I love it or at least I did anyway. It's a torture on petrol and recently it's been burning oil like it's going out of fashion.

Anyhoo, the reason I'm on here is because I want to know what anyone might recommend as a good car to downsize to. I want to save as much money as possible in every aspect of owning a car i.e price of car, insurance, tax, parts and repairs, fuel economy etc...

The first car that came to mind was a Toyota Aygo. My friend had one and it was the business! So nippy, great fuel economy and most of all, cheap tax and insurance. I have two large dogs and with a large crate to match, an Aygo is totally out of the question.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How many miles do you get out of a tank of petrol? And what kind of driving are you doing? Urban? Motorway? Mix?

You should be getting pretty decent economy out of your Astra tbh, insurance should be low as it's a low risk car. Tax is 350ish per year. Unless you're doing mega miles I think it would be a complete false economy to go changing your car to save what would end up being a marginal amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭montytheferret

How many km do you get from a fuel tank of petrol in your astra? Have you been servicing it yearly?

I can recommend a colt... i have one... the seats fold,split,tumble & can be removed... no problems for dogs i have my two dogs in it the whole time... great on fuel, cheap insurance etc... and suprisingly nippy...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2707386

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2842310

Otherwise theres the other usual suspects Yaris, Polo

But as the previous poster said, you should be getting ok MPG from your current car , parkers.co.uk list your cars as achieving 44MPG Mixed

So maybe you should be getting about 40mpg depending on your type of driving it may be a few less (town) or more (motorway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I can't afford the Astra anymore. I can't afford that much tax and I can't afford the insurance.

I live in the country so most of my miles are done going to town, going to visit my mum etc but I just can't afford the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Sound like you need to sell the Astra (5-6K at a guess) and trade down a few years, I drive a similar size car at the moment and it is not that heavy on petrol. Is there finance outstanding on the Astra? Maybe a 00-02 Yaris / Fiesta might suit you.

IS it tax, insurance and petrol is the problem or repayments ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

aoife2k wrote: »
    I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I can't afford the Astra anymore. I can't afford that much tax and I can't afford the insurance.

I live in the country so most of my miles are done going to town, going to visit my mum etc but I just can't afford the petrol.

Tbh, I see little prospect in saving much on your insurance, and maybe €150 max on your tax. Maybe even less. Not much wriggle room there tbh......the truly cheap-to-run cars are......expensive to buy......

An old late 90's Starlet ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP you'll save about €400-600 a year by downsizing, assuming you don't have a loan on the car. Oh, and depreciation will wipe that saving out for 3-4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Look on YouTube for tutorials on how to drive more economically. It actually is probably the best solution to your problem.

You're going to lose on changing cars and there won't be a huge difference in economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

Echo all the above. If there is no finance outstanding on the Astra there is little to be saved by downsizing.... 5 mpg and €150 isn't worth the transaction of cost of getting a different (and unknown) car.

You will have to save on some other aspect of your life if you want a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

Well if she sold her astra for 5k and bought an older small car for 2.5 - 3.5k then there is money to be saved

• Advertisement

Well if she sold her astra for 5k and bought an older small car for 2.5 - 3.5k then there is money to be saved

If the OP really want to save money that may well be the way to go, the as suggested Toyota Starlet etc or the likes of a Hyundai Accent will provide the required space and be light enough on fuel, €2000 would actually buy a relatively modern Hyundai Accent if the OP was so inclined :)

But the savings on running one over an 07 1.4 Astra would be conceptually not at all significant, unless the OP is throwing in a litre of oil every week or so, still oil isn't that expensive either if bought by the gallon.

The likes of this ..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2279058

Full?id=6886570

An 07 Astra is a much nicer car though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A 1.4 Astra is a relatively inexpensive car to run OP. There's always a cost to change, and the ongoing savings won't be huge.

It's very marginal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 monzie78

Hey i got qan aygo brand new 4 years ago and to be honest iv had noting but problems with it .. i hear hyundai are pretty good , now she is good on petrol thats the only thing

Advertisement