Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lifespan of a car battery

• 30-11-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭

What do you all reckon is the lifespan of a modern car battery? Most people report anywhere between 4-7 years and obviously it depends on the quality of the battery, the vehicle and the weather conditions. But what would you expect in your average car in our climate?

Came out to the car this evening after work and she was flat. I reckon just flat enough to not turn the starter as every other piece of equipment worked no problem. Battery is about 4 years old, but I would have thought it would last that bit longer as its in the boot and insulated from the chill of a cold engine bay.

My journeys are very short so I reckon its a combination of battery age, lack of long charges and a turn in the weather. Is 4 years about right do you reckon?

Will be doing a voltage test over the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

4 years is about the minimum I reckon. I have seen batteries last 10 years plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Depends. Calcium batteries can last up to 5 years. Normal ones 2 to 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Have you checked for parasitic battery drain with a multimeter? ...or at the very least with a cheapo circuit tester and see if theres a draw...

my battery was draining in 3 days due to a faulty alarm siren

624-volt-auto-probe-circuit-tester-car-voltage-electroprobe-93317n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Nope, only home an hour and it aint pleasant out. Will read the voltage off the cluster tomorrow.

The one in the ZT looked original, replaced it Stephen's Morning, car is an 02.
    Dad has a 99 Accent from new, 'twas winter 09 I think that lasted until, as George said 4 years would be minimum for a decent one, there is an element of pot luck with them I suppose too.

• Advertisement

Nope, only home an hour and it aint pleasant out. Will read the voltage off the cluster tomorrow.

you will need to check the how much amps are being drawn to find out if your batteries healthy,heres how I did it...don't forget to put the multimeter lead back in the fused section after your finished using it!
    Solved lads:

I was using the bulb and not the multimeter however I reckon I didn't the siren disconnected long enough!

I wasn't using the multimeter in the 10a DC setting the other day : n00b :)

Anyway found out it was drawing 150ma...after disconnecting the faulty alarm siren its putting out 20ma...just an FYI for those who may have similar issue!

I'm looking for an alarm siren if anyone has one spare!

Yeah definately I think I got that multimeter about 5 years ago in maplin for 4 euro!

Anyway an FYI for anyone looking to do this - move the positive probe to 10ADC unfused link

Remove the earth from the battery - stick the multimeter to 10a (like below) and put the probes between the battery and the earth lead..remove fuses until it drops to a reasonable level 0.02 = 20ma...average consumption should be 20 - 50ma!

DSC00213.jpg

2008-05-23_212544_parasitic_drain_illustration.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

My current Astra has the original one I think.

Car is a 03 with 94,000 miles racked up, still has the Opel badging on it.

Obviously it could have been factory replaced at some point but doubt.

the battery in my previous Astra died winter 2009, again, had all the Opel logo's on it and the car was a '00 with 46,000 miles

I must actually whip out the battery and have a look at the label with the date on it. Only reason I believe it to be 4 years old is because the dealer in the UK told me when I bought it 4 odd years ago that it had a new battery and front tyres installed. Tyres were new and the battery looked new so I had no reason to doubt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Would a radio discharge a battery if left on for over an hour?

When cleaning the inside and it's left on for over an hour there's barely enough charge to start. On the last occasion,3 days ago it needed a jump start. The battery is on the way out when I got it checked last year. It's fine if the radio isn't on for that period of time as theres nothing else draining it. Probably getting a new one over the weekend anyway.

Surely a healthy battery wouldn't be drained that quickly by the radio?

C4Kid wrote: »
    Would a radio discharge a battery if left on for over an hour?

When cleaning the inside and it's left on for over an hour there's barely enough charge to start. On the last occasion,3 days ago it needed a jump start. The battery is on the way out when I got it checked last year. It's fine if the radio isn't on for that period of time as theres nothing else draining it. Probably getting a new one over the weekend anyway.

Surely a healthy battery wouldn't be drained that quickly by the radio?

shouldn't but if theres already a draw there then it will, main culprits are secuirty systems (sensors, etc), boot lights, and amps / audio.

you'll need to check the draw..if you don't have a multimeter its worth the investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

shouldn't but if theres already a draw there then it will, main culprits are secuirty systems (sensors, etc), boot lights, and amps / audio.

you'll need to check the draw..if you don't have a multimeter its worth the investment.

I don't know why I didn't get one sooner tbh, they are handy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I've seen quite a few mid nineties Panasonic batteries still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Bosch battery in my E38 7-series lasted 10 years :)

Pretty good going, seeing the car was loaded with bells & whistles (TV, auto rain wipers, cruise control, you name it, if it was available in '96, it was in the car)

But with hindsight, it was in very poor condition for at least the last year (when the car was mainly off the road and not driven by me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unkel wrote: »
    The Bosch battery in my E38 7-series lasted 10 years :)

Pretty good going, seeing the car was loaded with bells & whistles (TV, auto rain wipers, cruise control, you name it, if it was available in '96, it was in the car)

But with hindsight, it was in very poor condition for at least the last year (when the car was mainly off the road and not driven by me)

Mine is still the original in an 03 golf with 81000 miles. VW batteries are top quality (possibly bosch rebadged though)

Out of interest why did you stop driving the 7? The e38 still seems like the pinnacle of reliable powerful luxury in an arguably timeless design with a more ergonomic less flashy interior than the latest 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Anything from 4-10 years really depending on the use of the car the climate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paudie23

if its in the boot might you have a BMW or MERC?if so your battery should be Varta made.top range Varta are great.problem with short drives or city driving with batteries is a thing called stratification.as an earlier post said calcium/calcium are great for holding charge.battery life should be over 7yrs with everything running properly.if you really wanted to splash out an AGM battery that solves all.expensive though.heavy load test your battery when fully charged.good way to see what life is left in it

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

lomb wrote: »
    Out of interest why did you stop driving the 7?

It was my daily driver until I replaced it with a Porsche 928 in January '08 as my daily driver. Tried to sell the BMW, but the recession kicked in and nobody wanted a big engined car anymore. So it was off the road until someone swapped it for his BMW 520i...

Decided to get a new battery as I had no faith in the old one and didn't want to be left stranded somewhere. It wasn't holding a charge and was down to 11.95v after being fully charged the day before (over 12.6v).

Got a new Bosch battery, this thing is a monster! http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_824769_langId_-1_categoryId_212578

The difference is incredible, there is no cranking now essentially, just turn the key and it jumps to life first time. I can even see the windows going up quicker. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paudie23

you bought Bosch 5 star, thats their premium level battery.you wont have any issues there.

Decided to get a new battery as I had no faith in the old one and didn't want to be left stranded somewhere. It wasn't holding a charge and was down to 11.95v after being fully charged the day before (over 12.6v).

Got a new Bosch battery, this thing is a monster! http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_824769_langId_-1_categoryId_212578

The difference is incredible, there is no cranking now essentially, just turn the key and it jumps to life first time. I can even see the windows going up quicker. :D

Thats a mothership..for 190 yoyos it would want to be, but 5 year warranty so you can't go wrong. .where did you buy it? ..Muppet who had the mr2 before put in a 420a halfords ****e battery..changed to a 680a from the local motorfactors and some difference.

• Advertisement

Got it in Halfords, used the Group Scheme coupon for 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just changed my battery today. Survived last winter, had 2 callouts to RSA Assist or whatever they call it. Using dysart Motors in Portlaoise. very efficient, honest and gents.

Similarly could not get over the friendly helpful and efficient treatment from Fitzpatricks Tyres in Portlaoise so I posted it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75965709#post75965709

Replaced an old Varta L2 400 with a new one. strangely, the old markings / numbers on the varta, we couldn't figure out its 'size'. Or amps. Or AH. I just knew from googling it that it was a 640Amp.

Now she's rock and rollin! ps best car I've ever driven and its my 3rd Xantia (HDi 90 on 200K miles) and I've driven a lot of cars in my time. Love the old girl to bits. One of the most bulletproof cars around, once you feed them fluids and use your head.

Great stuff.

Mines been 100% since the new battery was installed, no problems at all. Battery was 4 years old, but my short journeys no doubt killed it in no time.

Did a bit of reading on it, turns out any electrics-heavy car will sulphate any battery unless its being charged properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Group Scheme coupon for 10% off.
    What's that? I have a Halford's trade-card which gets me 20% off some "service items" (oil, filters,etc.) but )zero off others.

This bad boy:

http://www.groupscheme.com/ie/vouchers/voucher-halfords.php?

Never have less than five printed and ready to go in the glove box. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did a bit of reading on it, turns out any electrics-heavy car will sulphate any battery unless its being charged properly.
    Stick an intelligent charger on it overnight and it will last far longer.
    Bikes have the same problem with smaller batteries and most benefit from an Optimate type charger being hooked up for periods of non-use.

Yup, that's what I plan on doing when I move house, run a permanent line out to the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Batteries are designed to last 5 year no more no less, but the problem is trying to get them to do this. A batch of batteries manufactured at the same time using the same methods and used in identical conditions will not last identical time periods. Their life expectancy will range from 3-10 year for identical batteries in identical conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

I only changed my battery on a 04 avensis last january.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

My battery is 11.5 years and counting... (assuming its the original which I'm fairly sure)

Advertisement