Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Any reading reccomendations for CBT treating depression/anxiety?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been reading "stop think,start living" by Richard Carlson lately.

It's a good one, suits my style of thinking. Try it out and see what you think.

That sounds good alright, Ill give it a go I think, thanks PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've been reading Teach Yourself Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I think its pretty good, slow enough getting through it but thats just cause I have bad concentration.

I work in a book shop and could have ordered it at a discount, but I bought in Dublin cause I was too nervous to get it in work :o

Sorry, Should be "Stop thinking, Start living"...got distracted halfway through a word!It's been good so far.

• Advertisement

Had my meds switched from lustral to citalopram on tuesday and they seem to have made me even more depressed then I was on the lustral,they also seem to make my stomach feel really sick but i haven't vomitted(yet) and I get thumping headaches every few hours.Thats 2 types of meds that I've tried now and neither have seemed to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

DM addict wrote: »
    The cycle of panicking about panic attacks... I know how that feels.

A therapist won't be able to fix you straight away, but it's a good start on the path to making things easier.

All I can suggest is a technique I use when I feel panic coming on. Sit on a chair, feet firmly on the floor. Put your hands on your belly and think about your hands. Close your eyes if you like. Don't ask me how it works, but it tends to slow down my breathing. Another idea is to count to three while breathing out - if you breathe out slower you breathe in slower (apparently!) which is a basic calming majig.

As for general stuff to do, to stop myself worrying/panicking I always do something that requires concentration - in my case, something like painting my nails - and focus just on what you're doing.

Hope that helps. good luck

due to an accident over three years ago , i suffer from chronic pain ( back , neck , shoulders , ribs ) , at the begining of 2008 , the pain became so intollerable that i started having heart palpatations and panic attacks from the stress , it only lasted around a month as my doctor prescribed me medication for anxiety which seemed to keep them under control ,

anyway , i slipped on ice a week ago and although i didnt hit the ground , in struggling to maintain balance , i must have cracked a rib as the pain in my side is excruciating this past six days , so much so that my blood pressure is up and although i havent had any heart palpatations or panic attacks , i notice myself quite anxious , tired and generally uneasy

my question is this , can stress brought on by pain cause panic attacks or is it something else and can you beat it without going on anti anxiety meds

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

irishh_bob wrote: »
    due to an accident over three years ago , i suffer from chronic pain ( back , neck , shoulders , ribs ) , at the begining of 2008 , the pain became so intollerable that i started having heart palpatations and panic attacks from the stress , it only lasted around a month as my doctor prescribed me medication for anxiety which seemed to keep them under control ,

anyway , i slipped on ice a week ago and although i didnt hit the ground , in struggling to maintain balance , i must have cracked a rib as the pain in my side is excruciating this past six days , so much so that my blood pressure is up and although i havent had any heart palpatations or panic attacks , i notice myself quite anxious , tired and generally uneasy

my question is this , can stress brought on by pain cause panic attacks or is it something else and can you beat it without going on anti anxiety meds

Stress/general anxiety is a recognised trigger for panic attacks. As to whether you're experiencing panic attacks/something else at the moment, I'd suggest going to see your GP. Whether you've cracked a rib or not you could probably do with a check-up.

Personally, I use a combination of medication and calming techniques to deal with panic. I have been on meds for depression for over a year, and these meds have also helped with my anxiety. As to what's best for you, I'd say go for a doctor. Feel free to try some of the techniques suggested by myself and others above in the meantime, and take care of yourself.

Had my meds switched from lustral to citalopram on tuesday and they seem to have made me even more depressed then I was on the lustral,they also seem to make my stomach feel really sick but i haven't vomitted(yet) and I get thumping headaches every few hours.Thats 2 types of meds that I've tried now and neither have seemed to work.

Meds do take time to work. I had to switch meds a bit before I found something that suited me. Keep at them for a few weeks before writing them off, but if things are getting worse/no better, don't think that you won't find something that might help. There are plenty of options out there, just ask your GP.

Hope you're feeling better.

Well, I tried the therapist. And I don't think I'll go back.

My problem is that my panic attacks were triggered by one event, on top of the stress of unemployment. She said it was good that I knew what they were about, that I knew what the trigger was (feeling I had to leave my OH, for no reason, after a row!!!!!), but we have to deal with why I get so nervous and worried about things that I control and I don't want to happen.

The thing is....I don't have anything else to say to her.I've had the most normal childhood and adulthood, my relationship is long-term, wonderful, happy and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and my family are completely normal and loving!!! She was doing her best to try and find any problems, but none exist. I know that she's not going to offer me a solution or an answer to my issues straight away, but I just don't have anything else to talk about!!! (which sounds ridiculous I know).She didn't believe me when I said that but it's true. I told her my problems...and I nearly ran out of things to say in that first session, even when she was asking probing questions.

So I've decided analysis is not the way to go.Yet here I am, sitting at home with panic in my stomach For no reason other than I'm sitting at home, on my own and I'm terrified that I'll sink into a panic-filled depression at some point in the day. I'm afraid of being on my own at this point, because I've nothing else but my own thoughts, and they're panicky at the moment.

As I said elsewhere, I've been reading "Stop thinking, Start Living" lately, which is good - it seems to very much apply to my situation. I need to learn to let go of thoughts that are in my head. But some days it's hard, and it's only been 2 weeks!It's made worse by the fact that I've nothing to think about all day, and I'm worried I'll fall into the habit of letting these thoughts into my mind all the time and obsessing about them...so even if I go back to work, they'll still be there.

Sorry for rambling. I'm worried about worrying.It's the stupidest thing in the world.

• Advertisement

Well, I tried the therapist. And I don't think I'll go back.

My problem is that my panic attacks were triggered by one event, on top of the stress of unemployment. She said it was good that I knew what they were about, that I knew what the trigger was (feeling I had to leave my OH, for no reason, after a row!!!!!), but we have to deal with why I get so nervous and worried about things that I control and I don't want to happen.

The thing is....I don't have anything else to say to her.I've had the most normal childhood and adulthood, my relationship is long-term, wonderful, happy and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and my family are completely normal and loving!!! She was doing her best to try and find any problems, but none exist. I know that she's not going to offer me a solution or an answer to my issues straight away, but I just don't have anything else to talk about!!! (which sounds ridiculous I know).She didn't believe me when I said that but it's true. I told her my problems...and I nearly ran out of things to say in that first session, even when she was asking probing questions.

So I've decided analysis is not the way to go.Yet here I am, sitting at home with panic in my stomach For no reason other than I'm sitting at home, on my own and I'm terrified that I'll sink into a panic-filled depression at some point in the day. I'm afraid of being on my own at this point, because I've nothing else but my own thoughts, and they're panicky at the moment.

As I said elsewhere, I've been reading "Stop thinking, Start Living" lately, which is good - it seems to very much apply to my situation. I need to learn to let go of thoughts that are in my head. But some days it's hard, and it's only been 2 weeks!It's made worse by the fact that I've nothing to think about all day, and I'm worried I'll fall into the habit of letting these thoughts into my mind all the time and obsessing about them...so even if I go back to work, they'll still be there.

Sorry for rambling. I'm worried about worrying.It's the stupidest thing in the world.

I understand the fear of your own thoughts. It's the most terrifying thing, for me at least, because I've always loved spending time in my own mind.

As has been said by others, CBT-style techniques are great for identifying triggers and helping to deal with them. Therapists can get overconcerned with dealing with "issues". If you don't feel like going back then don't. But it could do you some good, even if you just go in and say "argh, I hate my worrying about worrying!"

I always found that writing down everything that was going through my head often helped. Was mostly illegible, but still. Helped me.

Thanks again. I think I'll look into some CBT stuff. I think I could spend weeks going to that therapist (or any therapist) with no result or improvement.

Hope you get your meds sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Ok so I have to stop taking my efexor to see if that's what's causing my allergy, and so this morning I didn't take my tablet.

I remember at the beginning of taking my efexor i used to get these brain zaps, very odd and unpleasant but they wore off after a while. dunno why but I'm expecting to get them again with the withdrawal.

I probably should mention I have been advised by my doctor to cut it out completely, I'm not just doing it by my own decision. She has told me to be prepared for mood changes, and to just keep an eye on how things go, to give her a ring if things get too bad.

Well if your doctor says its ok, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm on Lexapro and there is no way you can stop taking that cause I'd get bad physical withdrawls, brain zaps and electric shocks and the likes. Sometimes I think I get them if I miss a day, but I could be just imagining it :P Takes a few months to stop mine, but I'm sure your doctor knows best and you'll be fine to stop yours!

I've been lowering my dose the last like 6 months and the mood swings are terrible! Think I might have to go back up a dose or 2.

Hang in there! :)

well I had actually spoken to my doctor last week about coming off mine, and so she prescribed me 75mg (instead of 150mg) and to do that for 3 months and go from there, because you're really not meant to just cut it out. apparently it's one of the most dangerous ones to cut off cold turkey. but I've had to for my allergy. So far today I've gotten a couple of little brain zaps, nothing too bad. I do hate them though. so unpleasant.

But more importantly I think it really may have been my allergen! haven't gotten itchy today at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Ughhhhhahhhhhhh- having a really bad day and really want to scream :mad:

I hate how panic attacks can just come on out of nowhere and how they stop me from living a normal life! I dont quite know if I'm feeling angry, upset or panicked right now:mad:

Sorry but needed to rant slightly...

feckin hell, these zaps are fairly bad. almost constant now. if i don't move too much they're not bad. but that just makes doing anything hard. especially as with the crutches I'd be bouncing around a bit more. seems to make it bad. it's probably going to take weeks for them to go away. got them for ages at the start of taking the efexor...

Boo to that! I was soooo sick when I started taking my Lexapro. Its like how is something that supposed to make you better make you so sick? But I stuck with it and worked out for the best. Except that coming off it is also a pain!

I don't there's much of a win here for yah. Just try and do things to keep your spirits up!

This is really making me regret going on the tablets in the first place. This is the most horrible thing to deal with.

the zaps are unbearable. and whenever i try to do anything, besides stare right in front of me, it becomes so overwhelming that my mood turns horribly bad.

it may be the withdrawal or it may be the fact that i'm dealing with 4 different major physical problems but I every so often i'm bawling crying. I'm sure I'll be told it's the withdrawal. but can't help but wonder how much of it is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This is really making me regret going on the tablets in the first place. This is the most horrible thing to deal with.

the zaps are unbearable. and whenever i try to do anything, besides stare right in front of me, it becomes so overwhelming that my mood turns horribly bad.

it may be the withdrawal or it may be the fact that i'm dealing with 4 different major physical problems but I every so often i'm bawling crying. I'm sure I'll be told it's the withdrawal. but can't help but wonder how much of it is warranted.
    Mucho support from me to you username. Hang on in there. If the Zaps and moodswings are getting beyond your endurance, maybe you could contact your GP? Maybe there is something that you could take as a "bridge" to get you across the withdrawal phase?

Keep posting on here, if nothing else, it's an outlet and you'll get some genuine support. Remember, these are withdrawals, and only temporary.

• Advertisement

even reading your response made me cry. nice to have someone that cares even just a bit.

i'm ringing my doctor in the morning, i'm hoping she can tell me something that might help with it, or she might put me on another anti-d. i'll just have to see what she says. though when i mentioned the possibility of these zaps to her the other day she didnt really have a response, so i hope she actually believes they're real...

even reading your response made me cry. nice to have someone that cares even just a bit.

i'm ringing my doctor in the morning, i'm hoping she can tell me something that might help with it, or she might put me on another anti-d. i'll just have to see what she says. though when i mentioned the possibility of these zaps to her the other day she didnt really have a response, so i hope she actually believes they're real...
    Ohh, the bloody "Zaps". Actually, I think that is a great term for them. 10 years ago I was on cipramil and got the zaps when I came off. At that time, the zaps weren't recognised as withdrawal and my gp told me it was the depression coming back :rolleyes:. Happily, it's a well acknowledged withdrawal symptom now. (Just, maybe don't call them the zaps to your gp;),say something like "a zapping sensation")

Remember, if your moods become extreme a this time, try and stand back from them. ( I say to myself "get to bed, Black Dog". It sounds daft but it really helps me!) You've come off an anti-d suddenly and this happens so don't get scared. Keep us posted. Hopefully, you'll have something to relieve your symptoms after tomorow.

Thinking of you.

This is why Im terrified of going on anti-depressants :(

I have them but I just look at them, cant bring myself to go on them, I just feel like if I could get a job and move somewhere else for a while Id see a big improvement, stupid nausea and tears in my eyes all the time are interfering with that though, I just dont want to take such a strong drug.

Reactor wrote: »

I have them but I just look at them, cant bring myself to go on them, I just feel like if I could get a job and move somewhere else for a while Id see a big improvement, stupid nausea and tears in my eyes all the time are interfering with that though, I just dont want to take such a strong drug.
    Reactor, stupidusername's circumstances are not typical.

Have you thought of going back to your gp and raising your concerns? it's perfectly understandable to be reluctant to take anti-ds. But they may help you a great deal and with the right support from your gp any issue can be reduced to a minimum.

sorry i dont mean to be putting you off necessarily. at this point in time I would be inclined to tell anyone to stay away from them, but then if in another while I realise that they were actually doing me good being on them I then would advise it. you need to weigh it up for yourself.

i didn't really feel they had made a significant difference to me but they made my memory terrible and that's why i wanted to come off them, and was going about it the right way by lowering the dosage and weaning off them. I expect if things had gone to plan these effects would be much less severe. and if you go on yours and decide to come off them weaning off them is the right way to do it, so dont take my experience of cutting them out abruptly as what you're bound to experience.

And I often think too that if I could get a job and move to a city and have proper friends that I'd be fine, but I think it's more about the way you perceive things and deal with things than what your circumstance is. everyone would be fine as long as everything in their life is fine, but life doesn't go that way and so we need to find ways of dealing with the stuff that does happen. whether or not your meds are for you I can't tell you.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Reactor, stupidusername's circumstances are not typical.

Have you thought of going back to your gp and raising your concerns? it's perfectly understandable to be reluctant to take anti-ds. But they may help you a great deal and with the right support from your gp any issue can be reduced to a minimum.
    I have an appointment in the morning with a new GP, my old one was old, retiring in a couple of weeks and he really just threw the pills at me the first day I was there, Ill see how it goes tomorrow, memory loss is another think I dread.

I have an appointment in the morning with a new GP, my old one was old, retiring in a couple of weeks and he really just threw the pills at me the first day I was there, Ill see how it goes tomorrow, memory loss is another think I dread.

well that's good. do let us know how you get on.

the memory loss isn't something that affects everyone. it was a big problem for me when i was on lexapro, and i hated it, and then on prozac i was fine, and then with efexor i wasn't. it depends on the person and the dosage and the drug. so no need to dread it! if you decide to start on something just know that you can switch if it doesnt suit you, or you can be weaned off it. you do have options. talk to your doctor about all your concerns and i'm sure they'll advise you well.

I hear you. The thing is, the different anti-ds seem to effect people differently. So this may not happen to you, or it may just be a temporary thing for the first few weeks. Personally, I took cipramil 10 years ago and it worked wonderfully. Went on it a few years later and couldn't tolerate it at all. That kinda put me off ever taking anything again. However, I have a relative on efexor at the moment and she is positively blooming on it! Yes, she had the zaps and a bit of memory loss for the first 6 or 8 weeks, but now she is fine. So, it seems that it's a bit hit and miss and a supportive gp is the way to go. Meds may not be for you, and I can understand your reluctance. I always felt that I was reliquishing a bit of my self when I took them and that can be hard to accept. I've come to relalise that depression was what had been robbing me of my self, though. I'm not advocating meds as the only way to go (that is not my own choice, I use different techniques to deal with it now) but they do seem to work for some people and they might help you. All you can do is try, follow your gp's advice, and if you don't see any benefit, come off them (with your gp's supervision!). But if you do decide to go on them it doesn't have to be forever. Whatever you decide, you don't deserve to feel like crap all the time.

Okay thanks for that SU and Sardonicat, Ill see what happens tomorrow, I just wish there was something mild or herbal you could take that makes you feel kind of happy about things without the insane list of side effects, like sometimes if you have a cold and you drink one hot whisky and feel kind of contented and normal after it, but I cant let myself rely on alcohol because Im the type who'll be an alcoholic by the end of the week if I start doing that, I nearly started doing it with the Xanax after 2-3 days on them because of the sleepy feeling they give you, anyway good luck with your brain zaps, goodnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have to say, I hate that about GP's - how absolutely flippant they are when it comes to prescribing anti-d's. In my honest opinion, not that I'm any sort of expert, just from experience, it's better to be really honest with your GP and try make sure he/she is thorough and not just go in for 2 minutes and take what is given. Maybe you need to see a counsellor first, see how you feel after that? I mean, if you really don't wanna be on medication and don't think you're depressed, just that you need a job, perhaps having a chat with someone would really help you. And if it didn't, you could take it from there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement