Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric showers

• 31-05-2010 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi

can anyone help im looking to get electric shower supplied and fitted im in lucan so anyone got any numbers to try, finding it hard to find places also wats best shower go for. looking for something reasonably priced..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It all depends on what your looking for in a shower.

click on the link attached to my name

Thinking of a new shower....

The most popular on the market is a mira elite 2 or triton t90. But these are all pumped electric...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 annmariem

thanx, i heard alrith that them and the triton were good, is it easier to get the shower then just get someone to fit or to get it all 2gether. im new to this forum how do i click on the link..

annmariem wrote: »
    thanx, i heard alrith that them and the triton were good, is it easier to get the shower then just get someone to fit or to get it all 2gether. im new to this forum how do i click on the link..

If you get someone to fit it they do a supply and fit price. Anywhere between 450 and 700 euro

Frequently asked questions about suitable electric showers!
    There are many types of shower on the market today. Many buyers are traditional in there methods of buying and usually relie on price rather than model. This is a mistake as different functions of showers call for different prices.

Pumped Electric Showers
    This the most common type of shower on the market that is electric powered supply.The water is pumped and heated at the same time. This provides instant hot water which is useful if you fail to set the immersion however it is a little louder than all the other showers. This uses cold water from the attic storage tank. This must not be connected to a mains water .This is available in many power sizes ie 8.5 / 9.5 /10.8 however becuase of the irish system of electric only arriving at 220volts you will generally only get 8.5 kw no matter what model you go for. Its life span varies but usually suffers from over use becuase its the most convienent shower. Eg Triton T90/ Mira Elite 2 / Redring pumped electric shower.

Power Shower
    This is probably the second most popular model of shower. What this does is take cold water from the attic storage tank and hot water from the hot press cylinder. This generally tends to be slightly quiter than the pumped electric but the disadvantage is that it relies on a store of hot water. People usually install this as a second shower because they dont need the second one to be instant hot and You cannot fit a second pumped electric shower without fitting a special switch which only allows one shower work at a time and this usually proves expensive.

You do not need to do this with a powershower and pumped electric shower fit together but ask your electrician for advice on your own grid. Because the power shower only pumps the water it generally pumps at a higher pressure giving an exhilarating and invigorating shower. However the downside is if you forget to set the boiler for hot water you will be having a cold shower. Becuase the hot water in the tank can be at different temperatures power showers can be bought with or without thermostats Eg: Aqualisa power shower. Redring 520 Expressions Triton AS2000

Electric Showers
    Electric showers take cold water direct from the mains and heat it as it passes through the shower. This gives instant hot water so no need to have stored hot water. These relie on good mains pressure and will not work well if mains is bad. Better to have a plumber check your mains pressure. These come in many different wattages and the higher the wattage the better the heater.These are sometimes used in attic conversions because the shower is above the tank. Eg: Triton T80/Redring Selectronic Thermostatic shower.

Mixer Showers
    Lastly there is mixer showers. These are generally not electric. They do the exact same thing as the power shower except they do not have a pump. Ie They take hot water from the cylinder and cold water from the attic tank.They usually rely on gravity and a stored cylinder of hot water. However where attic conversions are done a booster pump is usually fitted to these because the dropping of the tank causes a drop of pressure. These come in thermostatic and manual. In the last number of years builders have in general fitted the cheaper manual shower with fixed head however the most prefered one by far is a thermostatic one with a riser rail kit. Eg: Most of the brass bodied chrome showers abailable on the market with or without riser rail kits.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Special note: This information is solely for information purposes only. Please varify all this in the shop you are buying the shower to ensure there has been no change in specification that renders the showers mentioned above unsuitable for your application.

oh and happy showering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

hi hope i'm posting in the right place. since yesterday my shower has started playing up. I cant get it to regulate the water.
    It's just scalding hot. Tried turning the temp nob but when it's near the blue numbers it's freezing and the red numbers it's roasting. Any advice? Is it f*cked? Shower is 2years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

ashblag wrote: »
    hi hope i'm posting in the right place. since yesterday my shower has started playing up. I cant get it to regulate the water.
    It's just scalding hot. Tried turning the temp nob but when it's near the blue numbers it's freezing and the red numbers it's roasting. Any advice? Is it f*cked? Shower is 2years old.

What make of shower is it?

• Advertisement

it's a triton t90xr...sorry should've said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

it's a triton t90xr...sorry should've said that.
    If you let it run for a while when its scalding, does it go cold then?

Check the manufacture date you may still be under warranty. Call earthridge in Maynoth.

Sounds like a blockage in the head....

Take the head off and soak it overnight in a solution of 50% vinager and water. Dont use malt as it stains.

Then rise the head clean

Sounds like a blockage in the head....

Take the head off and soak it overnight in a solution of 50% vinager and water. Dont use malt as it stains.

Then rise the head clean

Hi...Sorry for the late reply tried that the other night worked a treat. Pressure coming from the shower much better now also. I must remember to do this on a regular basis.

Much obliged.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JohnB9

annmariem wrote: »
    hi

can anyone help im looking to get electric shower supplied and fitted im in lucan so anyone got any numbers to try, finding it hard to find places also wats best shower go for. looking for something reasonably priced..
    If you are lookingf for some one to install i could give you a reasonable price.

Phone numbers to be PM'd only please.

Please read the charter before posting again. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Stratus

Hi...Sorry for the late reply tried that the other night worked a treat. Pressure coming from the shower much better now also. I must remember to do this on a regular basis.

Much obliged.:D

If i may add my 2 cent one of the reasons that happens is cuz the element that heats the water gets coated with lime-scale and over time with the heating and cooling the lime breaks of and lodges in the shower head. So the next time the shower head needs cleaning try taking the shower head of and leave it to one side then turn on the shower with the temperature up full leave it run for a minute or 2 then turn down the temperature to is lowest settings and you might see small flakes (grain of salt size) on the shower floor repeating that a few times may help lengthen the cleaning intervals
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Stratus wrote: »
    If i may add my 2 cent one of the reasons that happens is cuz the element that heats the water gets coated with lime-scale and over time with the heating and cooling the lime breaks of and lodges in the shower head. So the next time the shower head needs cleaning try taking the shower head of and leave it to one side then turn on the shower with the temperature up full leave it run for a minute or 2 then turn down the temperature to is lowest settings and you might see small flakes (grain of salt size) on the shower floor repeating that a few times may help lengthen the cleaning intervals

handy to know

I also find putting the head in the dishwasher gives it a good clean :)

Stratus wrote: »

Although i see your logic i have to dispute this... One of the reasons pumps burn out quicker with a particular brand is because they suggested this...

The pump relies on back pressure from the water hitting the head to stableise it and with the head off this is not happening..

I dont care if anyone does it but i would not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 yeronlyman10

Be sure before you buy a shower to find out what your house plumbing system is. Alot of companys (internet) dont state that most showers run on mains only, not tank fed.If your replacing go with like for like i.e same power and make.Saves a lot of trouble if you know what suits your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Got tired of our T90s breaking because of limescale so we installed a water filter but I've found they only last about 2 years anyway one we have now next time I'm trying another brand not sure if it will make a difference they just don't seem to last very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Hi there. Does anyone know where I could get the switch box of a power shower....you know the white box with the red light and string that you have to pull to turn the shower on? Ours has gone. We opened it up and it looks like the spring part is broken. Checked in Woodies and they don't stock them...does anywhere or is this a job for a plumber? Thanks.

Daisy! wrote: »
    Hi there. Does anyone know where I could get the switch box of a power shower....you know the white box with the red light and string that you have to pull to turn the shower on? Ours has gone. We opened it up and it looks like the spring part is broken. Checked in Woodies and they don't stock them...does anywhere or is this a job for a plumber? Thanks.

Pull cord switch and back box. In an electrical wholesale or retailer...

eg T O Reilly

I am amazed woodies dont do them. I would not get them in b&q. I would imagine they do the cheap ****ty ones. Tell the folks in the electrical shop you dont want it getting stuck in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Pull cord switch and back box. In an electrical wholesale or retailer...

eg T O Reilly

I am amazed woodies dont do them. I would not get them in b&q. I would imagine they do the cheap ****ty ones. Tell the folks in the electrical shop you dont want it getting stuck in a year.

Thanks Joey, picked one up in an Electrical Wholesale place in Swords today, thanks. Woodies seem to do every little part of a shower except what I needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Pumped Electric Showers
    This the most common type of shower on the market that is electric powered supply.The water is pumped and heated at the same time. This provides instant hot water which is useful if you fail to set the immersion however it is a little louder than all the other showers. This uses cold water from the attic storage tank. This must not be connected to a mains water .This is available in many power sizes ie 8.5 / 9.5 /10.8 however becuase of the irish system of electric only arriving at 220volts you will generally only get 8.5 kw no matter what model you go for. Its life span varies but usually suffers from over use becuase its the most convienent shower. showering!

Joey,

I have a triton t90 and from your posts above I reckon it must be fed from the tank. Does the temperature of the water in the tank have any bearing on the heat of the water coming from the shower.

I was on here last year looking for advice as I thought the element was gone in the shower. The water was only mildly Luke warm coming out. Didn't do anything about it though cause I was smashed at the time and the problem seemed to have sorted itself out, strangely enough as the weather got milder. Worked like a dream all summer but vie noticed a dramatic drop in the temperature of the water coming out of the shower these last 2 weeks.

Is it just coincidence or is the shower just playing up?

Rob113 wrote: »
    Joey,

I have a triton t90 and from your posts above I reckon it must be fed from the tank. Does the temperature of the water in the tank have any bearing on the heat of the water coming from the shower.

I was on here last year looking for advice as I thought the element was gone in the shower. The water was only mildly Luke warm coming out. Didn't do anything about it though cause I was smashed at the time and the problem seemed to have sorted itself out, strangely enough as the weather got milder. Worked like a dream all summer but vie noticed a dramatic drop in the temperature of the water coming out of the shower these last 2 weeks.

Is it just coincidence or is the shower just playing up?

Sounds like your heating element is going. If the pump was going you would also notice that noise change as well..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 captainboaby

Hi, I've just joined the board to ask a question thanks. Can anyone help with a very high pitched triton t90xr shower, only happened 2 weeks ago. Temperature control and water pressure are normal. From other threads I see folk are saying it happens and it coincides with another problem in the shower unit but everything else works fine, in fact the solenoid is brand new.
    Ta for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Folks I have a triton aspirante electric shower. When it's on the the high setting it's too hot. When its on the medium setting I have it a number 8 to get it to temp. Ive bought a new shower head thinking it would cure the problem but no such luck. Oh I'm one of those peoe who cleans the shower head every 10 days or so. The water in my area wouldn't be great so I'm thinking heater element?

Its 5 yrs old this month. Would I be better off replacing the shower?

Hi, I've just joined the board to ask a question thanks. Can anyone help with a very high pitched triton t90xr shower, only happened 2 weeks ago. Temperature control and water pressure are normal. From other threads I see folk are saying it happens and it coincides with another problem in the shower unit but everything else works fine, in fact the solenoid is brand new.
    Ta for your help

It sounds like the motor, Its brushes might be going.
    bbability wrote: »
    Folks I have a triton aspirante electric shower. When it's on the the high setting it's too hot. When its on the medium setting I have it a number 8 to get it to temp. Ive bought a new shower head thinking it would cure the problem but no such luck. Oh I'm one of those peoe who cleans the shower head every 10 days or so. The water in my area wouldn't be great so I'm thinking heater element?

Its 5 yrs old this month. Would I be better off replacing the shower?

Is the head you bought a triton head? When you say aspirante is it a T80 aspirante or a T90 aspirante...

It's a triton shower head alright. The shower has no model number although it's silver if that helps and also sounds v noisey/whiney. My folks have same shower, same age but sounds alot quieter

bbability wrote: »
    It's a triton shower head alright. The shower has no model number although it's silver if that helps and also sounds v noisey/whiney. My folks have same shower, same age but sounds alot quieter

Is it a T80 or a T90.

t80 Mains fed.

t90 Tank fed.

This is important. You need to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Malachy Fahy

You should try get the same type that you had before to make it easy to install it.

Is it a T80 or a T90.

t80 Mains fed.

t90 Tank fed.

This is important. You need to check

Its a T90. It seems the heater element is gone. So I'll think I'll just get a new shower. Comes with 2 year warranty compared with 6 months on a repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jection

Please read the charter before posting.... Please read the general charter as its your first post...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redstarblanch

I have a Mira Elite ST. I worked fine ontil last night, when during a shower the pump motor started to speed up and the shower stops working. The low pressure light now comes on when I test it. I checked the filter and its clean and water supply seems ok. Anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement

I have a Mira Elite ST. I worked fine ontil last night, when during a shower the pump motor started to speed up and the shower stops working. The low pressure light now comes on when I test it. I checked the filter and its clean and water supply seems ok. Anyone got any ideas?

it sounds like the heating element is going. However because its the pressure light that came on i wonder if the brushes are going on the motor.

Have you a multi meter to check the element and the brushes should be obviouis if you can get to see them

Advertisement