Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism Vs. Communications?

• 29-03-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Hi guys, I'm currently doing a fetac course and have pretty much made my mind up that I want to go to DCU (CAO random selection aside).

I'm currently unsure whether to study journalism or communications (I've read about, and like, both courses contents etc.)

I'm just wondering what would folk recommended between the two?

I read that if I study communications I can still get involved with DCUfm and DCUtv etc... But I haven't read if it's a possibility to get involved with the student paper if I'm studying communications and not journalism?

I guess I'd like to know about any negative aspects of the courses? And what course would bring the better career prospects etc.?

I'd really appreciate any advice :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

There is no course requirement for DCUtv or FM as they are both part of the Media Production Society. The papers pretty much the same I believe. they take all the help they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 blueboy123

Any DCU student can write for the paper, doesn't matter what course you do.

And regarding job prospects, it really depends on what career you're looking toward?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

blueboy123 wrote: »
    Any DCU student can write for the paper, doesn't matter what course you do.

And regarding job prospects, it really depends on what career you're looking toward?

I guess I'd like something in the media industry. In regards to communications, I like the fact I can study Photography, Video and Radio. I know I have to choose one. But that is appealing to me.

Is there anything like that on the journalism course? I didn't notice anything in the module listing..

I was thinking maybe doing my degree in communications and perhaps a masters in journalism.. That's a long way away, just crossed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

In regards to communications, I like the fact I can study Photography, Video and Radio. I know I have to choose one. But that is appealing to me.

Is multimedia not also an option then? There all part of school of communications.

Noodleworm wrote: »
    Is multimedia not also an option then? There all part of school of communications.

I'll be entering through a FETAC course. So unfortunately Multimedia is not an option, I probably would have preferred Journalism or Communications anyways, but nice to have the added option, I guess.

I've all but made my mind up that I'll be going to DCU and not DIT. Probably due to facilities and the campus etc.

Now I just need to make my mind up about journalism or communications!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Don't post unless you're going to contribute something please.

Konata wrote: »
    Don't post unless you're going to contribute something please.

It was an attempt at a bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

It was an attempt at a bump.

Well, in that case you should ask specifically what it is you still require information about. You've gotten some answers on this thread so if you wish to bump it, just say something like "I'm still wondering about [blah blah blah], anyone got any information?" or whatever.

Your previous post just looks like spam/nonsense and doesn't indicate to anyone reading the thread what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Julieta Hundreds Virus

Communications is a joke of a course. If you want to be writing essays about Team America and never actually be in college then it's the course for you. Otherwise do Journalism.

• Advertisement

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Communications is a joke of a course. If you want to be writing essays about Team America and never actually be in college then it's the course for you. Otherwise do Journalism.

Haha, can I ask why you think that? I've seen posts from ex-students of that course and they seemed to have enjoyed it. I heard it doesn't have the best reputation with other students because of the fact there's no exams etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Julieta Hundreds Virus

Haha, can I ask why you think that? I've seen posts from ex-students of that course and they seemed to have enjoyed it. I heard it doesn't have the best reputation with other students because of the fact there's no exams etc.

Nail on the head ;) I would seriously question the rep the course has though, and future employment prospects the course offers. I know Laura WHitmore did the course, as did the head of RTE, but the first won a competition and the other progressed up the ranks of a semi-state company. It's questionable how useful the course was.

The workload seems to be almost non-existent and it doesn't seem to go in depth into any one area (and has ridiculous modules like The Communication of Puppetry or something like that). It obviously depends on what you plan to do after college. I'd just choose Journalism as it seems to be a better course.

Nail on the head ;) I would seriously question the rep the course has though, and future employment prospects the course offers. I know Laura WHitmore did the course, as did the head of RTE, but the first won a competition and the other progressed up the ranks of a semi-state company. It's questionable how useful the course was.

The workload seems to be almost non-existent and it doesn't seem to go in depth into any one area (and has ridiculous modules like The Communication of Puppetry or something like that). It obviously depends on what you plan to do after college. I'd just choose Journalism as it seems to be a better course.

I would probably prefer to do journalism, the only thing that's attracting me to Communications is the media modules. Like I can study video andphotography etc.

Whereas in Journalism there's a semester or two of digital media skills, rather than it being present for the duration of the course.

Would the media production society allow me to be active with photography and video production, even if I wasn't studying them as a module?

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I'm a fellow CAOer, but just to draw to your attention if you did not know about it, dcu are offering a new arts degree programme and one of the modules available is media studies :)

user.name wrote: »
    I'm a fellow CAOer, but just to draw to your attention if you did not know about it, dcu are offering a new arts degree programme and one of the modules available is media studies :)

Yeah. Noticed that, thanks. What are you going to put first?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

Laura Whitmore did the JR programme. Not Communications.

Advertisement